Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rita Ora better be careful or she could fall foul of regulations and end up with a ten year prison sentence:

    "The 10-year jail term would be the maximum penalty for anyone found to have falsified their travel history on the mandatory passenger locator form filled in by travellers when they arrive in the UK.

    New border measures also require international arrivals to pay for additional tests during their quarantine period"



    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56007798...ntine%20period.
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

    Comment


    • I just found a site where you can check worldwide incidences and I'm surprised about how well especially many African and Asian countries are doing at the moment. Some are well below 50 and a few even reached an incidence of 0 (including China, where all of this started.). I'm especially relieved that Syria and Aghanistan are doing well at the moment, considering that those countries already face massive inner conflicts and don't need additional challenges through this virus.
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

      Comment


      • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
        I just found a site where you can check worldwide incidences and I'm surprised about how well especially many African and Asian countries are doing at the moment. Some are well below 50 and a few even reached an incidence of 0 (including China, where all of this started.). I'm especially relieved that Syria and Aghanistan are doing well at the moment, considering that those countries already face massive inner conflicts and don't need additional challenges through this virus.
        Africa learnt harsh lessons with HIV and AIDS. There was a real concern on how this would impact Africa when this all started to happen, so I’m glad they’ve avoided disaster there.
        Everyone is entitled to my opinion

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jio View Post

          Some of the mutations won't be covered by the vaccines and for those mutations, drugs would have to be developed. That's why a proper strategy for fighting any virus, cannot be based on vaccines alone.
          I attended a really good covid seminar today, and it was mentioned that the mRNA vaccines produce two types of immunity and will likely be resilient to far more variations compared to the typical vaccines. Also recent data shows that the mRNA vaccines are good for all variants, but for the SA one they need higher dosage to achieve same efficacy.
          I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
          I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

            I attended a really good covid seminar today, and it was mentioned that the mRNA vaccines produce two types of immunity and will likely be resilient to far more variations compared to the typical vaccines. Also recent data shows that the mRNA vaccines are good for all variants, but for the SA one they need higher dosage to achieve same efficacy.
            I would be interested to know who sponsored the seminar you attended because it sounds like an advertisement for the mRNA vaccines.
            jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

            Comment


            • Originally posted by menime123 View Post

              Africa learnt harsh lessons with HIV and AIDS. There was a real concern on how this would impact Africa when this all started to happen, so I’m glad they’ve avoided disaster there.
              It has nothing to do with preparation and everything to do with the fact that the populations of those countries are on average far younger (so coronavirus for them is less deadly).
              jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

              Comment


              • 13,509,108 people have now received the first dose of a vaccine in the UK, a rise of 450,810.

                There's 4 days left to hit the 15 million target.

                Comment


                • Germany: 'Nah, we aren't going to reach it anyway, why even bother? Let's collapse!'.
                  UK: 'What ? Challenge accepted ! And you know what? We'll do it in 3 days !"
                  Pro: freedom of speech
                  Contra: cancel culture

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jio View Post

                    It has nothing to do with preparation and everything to do with the fact that the populations of those countries are on average far younger (so coronavirus for them is less deadly).
                    Oh look, telling me I’m wrong again.

                    I am totally shook.
                    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

                    Comment


                    • I am so not bothered by the curfew that I forgot about it a few days ago... Only today I suddenly realised I came home after the curfew.
                      My Instagram... - Click here

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jio View Post

                        I would be interested to know who sponsored the seminar you attended because it sounds like an advertisement for the mRNA vaccines.
                        Are you always so super cynical about EVERYthing. Honestly.
                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                        Pronouns: He / Him

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by menime123 View Post

                          Oh look, telling me I’m wrong again.

                          I am totally shook.
                          I am sorry you are taking it that way... but I am really not interested in making a point about or to or at you at all...
                          jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                            Are you always so super cynical about EVERYthing. Honestly.
                            I don't think I am cynical at all in general although I was in that post.
                            jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jio View Post

                              I would be interested to know who sponsored the seminar you attended because it sounds like an advertisement for the mRNA vaccines.
                              A researcher at my university which does research on Covid but has nothing to do with any vaccines (but she does research covid immunity). No one sponsored
                              ​​​​the seminar as it is part of the pharmacy department's series of free periodical seminars. She explained very well the mechanisms used by those and all other vaccines and all the existing evidence supporting their usage. She also explained many other covid information in detail (spread, sequencing, variants, treatments, immune response, etc), specifying what we know and what we don't know. She was truly incredible and it was one of the best seminars I've ever attended. Everyone should watch it, but I don't think it was recorded. I will gladly share it here if I find it was.

                              You sound like a broken record hating on the mRNA vaccines, when in fact they are genius and make far more sense compared to the others. The data shows they are clearly the most effective as well.

                              ​​​​​​Even though I encouraged my sister to take the Astrazeneca vaccine because she had the chance to do it, I would really hope to get either of the mRNA ones, together with the rest of my family.
                              I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                              I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                                they are genius and make far more sense compared to the others.
                                Everyone is entitled to my opinion

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

                                  A researcher at my university which does research on Covid but has nothing to do with any vaccines (but she does research covid immunity). No one sponsored
                                  ​​​​the seminar as it is part of the pharmacy department's series of free periodical seminars. She explained very well the mechanisms used by those and all other vaccines and all the existing evidence supporting their usage. She also explained many other covid information in detail (spread, sequencing, variants, treatments, immune response, etc), specifying what we know and what we don't know. She was truly incredible and it was one of the best seminars I've ever attended. Everyone should watch it, but I don't think it was recorded. I will gladly share it here if I find it was.

                                  You sound like a broken record hating on the mRNA vaccines, when in fact they are genius and make far more sense compared to the others. The data shows they are clearly the most effective as well.

                                  ​​​​​​Even though I encouraged my sister to take the Astrazeneca vaccine because she had the chance to do it, I would really hope to get either of the mRNA ones, together with the rest of my family.
                                  Right...

                                  I am just questioning what you heard because what you stated before are a bit misleading. Most vaccines produce two types of immunity, so for you to state that the mRNA vaccine does that as some kind of achievement was a big perplexing. Of course it does that. But that does not provide an advantage over other types of vaccines. Also you state that mRNA vaccines are more resilient to variants when we already know that the current mRNA vaccines are actually not suitable for one of the three interesting variants we already have. So the presence/suggestion of a booster dose is already admittance that mRNA vaccines are actually not more resilient against variants than any other vaccine, and again that's something to be expected so I cannot understand why expectations of super vaccines are created. What mRNA do better is that they can be produced faster.

                                  So based on the above statements, I made the assumption that the seminar you attended was misleading and was maximizing the benefit of mRNA vaccines against other types. I don't think that that's illogical. I will not answer to the "broken record" part because it is just rude.
                                  jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

                                  Comment


                                  • Breaking - Germany to close borders with Austria and Czech Republic over variant concern.

                                    Looks like these variants are having quite an effect on things indeed.

                                    https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/11/...avirus-variant
                                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                    Pronouns: He / Him

                                    Comment


                                    • French Sanitary Authorities have declared that one dose is enough to protect those who have already been infected by covid.
                                      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by jio View Post

                                        I am sorry you are taking it that way... but I am really not interested in making a point about or to or at you at all...
                                        The funny thing about this, you are both right. Both play a role. Be constructive toward people, go in a dialogue instead of being desperate to be right. Some African countries were indeed better prepared for a pandemic due to past experiences (which has been proven), even though the West still likes to portray them as backwards savages. There are also other factors, like some countries just don't have the capacity to test as much, there are geographical factors that play a role in the spread (like weather or less density in some regions), and so on and so forth. What plays the biggest role? I don't know, it is not my expertise. Also that will differ based about what time and space you are talking about. Talking about Africa as a whole is something the West does a lot, and is completely off as a starting point.

                                        Saying it has 'everything' to do with young age is just false (yes obviously it plays a role). Which you implied, menime123 did not imply 'full truth' about what he was saying. What is up with these one-on-one relationships? If it was that easy, this would have been solved by now. Why do you think people have to study for years to get these degrees? And why is there so much emphasis on lifelong learning? Science is ever-changing, and the more 'we know' the more complex it becomes.

                                        Also in my country I feel these simplistic explanations about virology and exact sciences are gaining traction (Not saying you go that far btw, you are cynical yes, but I do think you are also quite 'well-read' in some things), especially about the vaccines (I assume it is not different in other Western countries). You hear arguments like '6 months ago they said this, and now they say this etc.'. These type of comments just prove to me that people have no clue what science actually is. I would be really worried if scientists were saying the same thing as they were during the start of this pandemic. That would be troublesome. Exacts sciences if the most problem-solving oriented science of them all, but giving solutions does not mean they give perfect solutions. All sciences are at its foundation about making life more complex, it creates lenses to see the world differently, to understand the world differently. It is up to politics, and not scientists, what to do with this complexity. And thank god it is not up to scientists, myself included. But of course I am pro political decisions that have a scientific base, like most of us. But that scientific base is never waterproof, that's just not what science is. We are still humans not robots... When it comes to these vaccines, yes a lot of hideous things are happening, it is full blown inequality at work, I mean... The world is in a pandemic what did we expect? Yet, I am still trustful in the scientists that are leading us through this pandemic, even though I also suffer a lot these days. Yes, they are being silenced, and being mislead, fall victim to money and so forth, but that's why we have different scientific communities and different control mechanisms, to avoid these type of monopolies. I'm confident science will persevere at the end of the road, yet it has also shown us that science is not sufficient to lead a society. We are confronted with it every day, and since this pandemic has been so long people are getting impatient and they let their ideas go free-flowing, I guess it is way of liberating themselves in a sense? A feeling that they 'regain' control of their lives and thoughts? If you have a narrow conceptualization of what science is, it is very easy to fall in this trap. And no this does not mean you cannot be critical about science, I have been my whole life. Yet there is a difference between being critical and going complete craycray based on some anecdotes and echo chambers. Science gives answers, but primarily they are about seeing as much as we can. They are based on 'dissensus'. Complot theories work in the opposite way: they make everything as simple as possible. They are based on 'consensus' (hence why they are so attractive currently). They function very similar as myth-making, you know that thing that was dominant before philosophy existed.
                                        Last edited by Michiel; Fri February 12, 2021, 16:25.
                                        Eudaimonia
                                        Last.fm
                                        Instagram

                                        Comment


                                        • My mum is getting her first dose of Sinovac vaccine today. Since we don't and won't have another type of vaccine and her friends had their first doses already, i said go for it. She's getting her second dose in 4 weeks time.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by Michiel View Post

                                            The funny thing about this, you are both right. Both play a role. Be constructive toward people, go in a dialogue instead of being desperate to be right.
                                            I understand what you are doing here but don't even go there. I answered to an argument about the epidemic with an argument about the epidemic - right or wrong it was an argument. I got responded by a personal dig, and seriously that's a very usual phenomenon here. If people want to only hear opinions agreeing with theirs, it's not my problem. Yet nobody can accuse me of not being constructive.

                                            Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                                            Some African countries were indeed better prepared for a pandemic due to past experiences (which has been proven), even though the West still likes to portray them as backwards savages. There are also other factors, like some countries just don't have the capacity to test as much, there are geographical factors that play a role in the spread (like weather or less density in some regions), and so on and so forth. What plays the biggest role? I don't know, it is not my expertise. Also that will differ based about what time and space you are talking about. Talking about Africa as a whole is something the West does a lot, and is completely off as a starting point.

                                            Saying it has 'everything' to do with young age is just false (yes obviously it plays a role). Which you implied, menime123 did not imply 'full truth' about what he was saying.
                                            Well, OK. So you consider that me saying that preparation was not a factor is somehow equal to me considering them backwards savages incapable of preparation? I think you jumped to unwarranted conclusions here. The fact of the matter is that we are talking about countries that are mostly poor, overcrowded, with lots of people living on a day-to-day basis and with not optimal hygiene. All these, ridicule the notion of "preparing for this pandemic". Because that would mean (and correct me if I am wrong), social distancing and lockdowns and working from home. Yet those simply cannot be practiced in countries where people need to go out and work because otherwise they will starve, in countries where a big percentage of the houses do not have a WC, or in countries where there is still war. Expecting such countries to go to neverending lockdowns or assuming that they did and that's why they succeeded is not just a delusion, but also one created by looking at the world from the privileged point of view . I can accept the arguments about environmental factors such as heat and humidity but menime was talking about and I objected to giving credit to policy preparation, not environmental conditions.

                                            Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                                            What is up with these one-on-one relationships? ... They are based on 'consensus' (hence why they are so attractive currently). They function very similar as myth-making, you know that thing that was dominant before philosophy existed.
                                            I was always thinking that my English writing skills are generally pretty good but I must be wrong because again and again I am completely failing to get my point across. So, you are obviously addressing my posts again so let's start with "simplistic arguments about virology". Most people here are believing the notion that humanity has managed to find the answer to a terrible pandemic in less than a year based on vaccines alone. I would say that that's a very simplistic argument, definitely far more simplistic that what I am saying. I am glad you are trustful in scientists. But actually, the opinion that I have repeated numerous times in here and infamous even told me that they are tired of me repeating it is not a controversial opinion but one that is present in every COVID vaccine licensing - officially: that we do not know enough about safety and efficiency of those vaccines. So any argument that says otherwise (and there have been many in here) is completely unscientific. I do not object to these vaccines because I think they are gonna plant a chip in our brain and control our lives, I object to universal vaccination on the notion that since safety and efficiency is not guaranteed, since ability to prevent viral transmission seems unlikely early vaccination should be limited to groups that the virus poses a significant risk. For all other groups (young healthy people) vaccination should be delayed until we know more about the vaccines' safety, efficiency and benefit to society. And that's not an unscientific opinion at all.
                                            Last edited by jio; Fri February 12, 2021, 17:33.
                                            jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

                                            Comment


                                            • Breaking - Hair Salons to reopen in Germany on March 1st:

                                              https://www.thelocal.de/20210210/hai...gain-march-1st

                                              Wonderful news for the Germans desperate to get their hair "coiffed" legally.
                                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                              Pronouns: He / Him

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                Breaking - Hair Salons to reopen in Germany on March 1st:

                                                https://www.thelocal.de/20210210/hai...gain-march-1st

                                                Wonderful news for the Germans desperate to get their hair "coiffed" legally.
                                                Congrats Germany!!! lol
                                                jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

                                                Comment


                                                • European new infection rates per 100 000 from lowest (#1) to highest (#31) (no micro-states): UPDATE
                                                  1.(1) Iceland
                                                  2.(3) Norway
                                                  3.(4) Finland
                                                  4.(6) Denmark
                                                  5.(2) Greece
                                                  6.(5) Bulgaria
                                                  7.(10) Croatia
                                                  8.(8) Romania
                                                  9.(7) Hungary
                                                  10.(12) Germany
                                                  ...
                                                  11.(9) Poland
                                                  16.(15) Italy
                                                  23.(19) France
                                                  24.(25) United Kingdom
                                                  ...
                                                  27.(27) Latvia
                                                  28.(28) Slovenia
                                                  29.(30) Spain
                                                  30.(29) Czechia
                                                  31.(31) Portugal

                                                  - Breaking national infection records this week is once again Albania (not in the list above)



                                                  jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Stadiums and arenas in New York are set to reopen and stage concerts

                                                    Governor Andrew Cuomo says venues can run with a capacity of 10 per cent from February 23

                                                    Stadiums and arenas in New York with a capacity of 10,000 people or more will be allowed to reopen later this month.

                                                    According to New York governor Andrew Cuomo, venues can run with a capacity of 10 per cent from February 23.

                                                    In order for stadiums and arenas to reopen, all fans and staff planning to attend an event will need to provide a negative PCR test within the 72 hours prior, reports IQ.

                                                    Fans will also have their temperature checked upon entering a venue and will be required to wear face coverings while in attendance.

                                                    As part of the move, the city will host concerts for the first time in a year as part of the New York Arts Revival programme announced in January.

                                                    More than 300 pop-up gigs will take place between 20 February and 6 September at venues including the Apollo Theater, Harlem Stage, La Mama, and Alice Busch Opera Theatre.

                                                    The governor says the gigs will be staged at flexible venues with no fixed seating so event formats can be reconfigured to allow adequate social distancing.

                                                    Indoor arenas must also observe enhanced air filtration, ventilation and purification standards, as well as socially distanced seating configurations.

                                                    The guidelines for reopening will be based on the testing pilot programme conducted by the NFL team Buffalo Bills at the weekend, in which 6,700 fans who presented negative tests, and agreed to contact tracing, attended the game socially distanced.

                                                    “While we continue to fight Covid on multiple fronts, we must also get this economy reopened intelligently and in a balanced way,” said governor Cuomo.

                                                    “Live sports and entertainment have long been engrained in the fabric of New York and the inability to hold events has only added to the isolation we have all felt at the hands of this virus.”

                                                    It comes after Dr Anthony Fauci, the United States’ Chief Medical Advisor, recently said he expects full-capacity live shows to return to the United States this autumn.

                                                    https://www.nme.com/news/stadiums-an...ncerts-2878245
                                                    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X