No announcement yet.

Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris has committed to a new target - all U.K. adults to be offered a first jab by July 31st.

To clarify, that’s more than 51m people - really incredible. And by that point, there will be at least 32m people fully vaccinated (the most vulnerable in society, and everyone above 50 who has accepted the vaccine).

Politically, this will play very well for Boris and the Conservatives - as it’ll be the last thing people remember from the pandemic (how well we came out of it in terms of vaccinations). Very frustrating.

Comment

• Is July 31st not kind of late? I mean, Merkel announced the same for Germany and unlike the UK, Germany is actually quite slow and overbureaucratic when it comes the vaccination politics.
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
        Boris has committed to a new target - all U.K. adults to be offered a first jab by July 31st.

To clarify, that’s more than 51m people - really incredible. And by that point, there will be at least 32m people fully vaccinated (the most vulnerable in society, and everyone above 50 who has accepted the vaccine).

Politically, this will play very well for Boris and the Conservatives - as it’ll be the last thing people remember from the pandemic (how well we came out of it in terms of vaccinations). Very frustrating.
        To be honest it’s a great bit of news - by the end of October 2021, all British adults will had had 2 doses and we can head into winter with a degree of confidence, less restrictions and frankly, a view of normality for 2022 once we get through next winter.

But I don’t know that if means it’s the end of the pandemic - we may all need regular top ups or even another vaccine if a new strain takes hold. I also don’t think Boris will come out of this well politically either - too much has happened, too many have died, and the overriding belief is Boris messed up significantly by delaying his decision making.

The major political problem for me is that Labour has not provided any real objections or criticism on the actual handling (other than timings) suggesting they wouldn’t have necessarily done a better job - and that doesn’t get them votes they desperately need to win back.
        Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Comment

• Trust me, Germany's done far worse and the major party is going to get re-elected in fall 2021 either way because of their loyal votership.

Comment

• I think people will remember whether we came out of lockdown or not, over the vaccines. Roadmap seems to be the new buzzword of the week, and I look forward to seeing what disappointments are to come tomorrow!
            1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              Is July 31st not kind of late? I mean, Merkel announced the same for Germany and unlike the UK, Germany is actually quite slow and overbureaucratic when it comes the vaccination politics.
              Merkel has announced that Germany will vaccinate all adults with at least 1 jab by the end of July?

Comment

• I looked it up again and Merkel actually said 'until the end of summer' (which, going by the calendar, is mid September) and Spahn, the German health minister, said 'until summer' (which, going by the calender, starts in mid June). They're smart not to use exact dates, I guess .

Comment

I looked it up again and Merkel actually said 'until the end of summer' (which, going by the calendar, is mid September) and Spahn, the German health minister, said 'until summer' (which, going by the calender, starts in mid June). They're smart not to use exact dates, I guess .
                  Boris had previously said "by September" - but he's now said "by end of July"...makes sense that Germany will be 2-3 months behind potentially given how behind they are now.

Comment

• 'There will be weeks between lockdown easing steps' - Hancock

Coronavirus restrictions will be eased with "weeks between the steps", Matt Hancock has said.

The health secretary told Times Radio it takes a few weeks for the impact of lifting measures to be seen.

He says: "Hence there will be weeks between the steps so that we can watch carefully."

Hancock also says social distancing measures and the wearing of face coverings are likely to remain for a while.

"I want to see it more about personal responsibility over time as we have vaccinated more and more of the population," he says.
                    This roadmap is going to be identical to the last one, from May 2020 - gradual easing, with 2-3 week gaps between each restriction being lifted...and face masks and social distancing remaining in place until the end of the year.

Comment

• Great news in Israel also - the most vaccinated country in the world...

Israel eases restrictions following vaccine success

Israel is easing lockdown restrictions as studies there reveal the Pfizer vaccine is 95.8% effective in preventing hospitalisations and death.

From Sunday, shops, libraries and museums can open but social distancing and masks are still required.

The health ministry says it is the first stage of returning to normal life.

Israel has the highest vaccination rate in the world. More than 49% of people have received at least one dose.

The country entered its third lockdown on 27 December after a resurgence of the virus.

Under the easing measures, people are now able to enter shopping malls and tourist attractions such as zoos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

This roadmap is going to be identical to the last one, from May 2020 - gradual easing, with 2-3 week gaps between each restriction being lifted...and face masks and social distancing remaining in place until the end of the year.
                        Must rumours suggest non-essential retail will reopen in April and rules will be relaxed about outdoor meets e.g. six people from up to six households can meet in parks and gardens. Then May onwards will be the rest. They need to reopen gyms ASAP.

Comment

• I would really like to know how they reached that 95.8% number... any information on that?
                          jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Must rumours suggest non-essential retail will reopen in April and rules will be relaxed about outdoor meets e.g. six people from up to six households can meet in parks and gardens. Then May onwards will be the rest. They need to reopen gyms ASAP.
                            Yes I'm ready to get back to the gym, I'm going to have to start buying adult sized clothes soon

The facemask thing doesn't bother me at all tbh, I can keep wearing a mask in the supermarket if I have to. I just want the opportunity to do something on my day off other than sit on my backside.

Comment

• Yeah facemasks I can live with, it really isn’t an issue and feels normal now. I’ve not had a cold since 2019... social distancing and facemasks are probably the reason!

Comment

• Gyms are not just a lifestyle factor. There are many people going there for health reasons (especially older people and ones with back isues), so it's also important for health reasons (economic reasons aside, considering there are many people working there).
                                The face mask bothers me - yes, I won't get used to it - but I agree, there are restrictions that have higher priority to get relieved.
                                Last edited by theMathematician; Sun February 21, 2021, 14:53.

Comment

• I just want Costa to be allowed to put their seats down. Am I reaching for the stars here ? I never go to a gym in summer so don't care about that at all, although I wouldn't mind a swim here and there. Exercise wize im an outdoorsy type. Masks dont bother me at all, and I wear glasses.
                                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                    I would really like to know how they reached that 95.8% number... any information on that?
                                    This is a different article that provides a bit more detail:

Pfizer Vaccine 95.8% Effective Against COVID-19: Israel Health Ministry

The health ministry said the jab was 99.2 percent effective against serious illness and 98.9 percent effective in preventing death.

Israel's health ministry said Saturday recent data from its aggressive coronavirus vaccination campaign showed two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech jab were nearly 96 percent effective against infection.

Israel's inoculation campaign is regarded as the world's fastest, with one dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine administered to 4.25 million people out of its nine million-strong population since December, according to the latest health ministry figures.

Some 2.88 million people have received the recommended full course of two jabs.

The health ministry said on Saturday the vaccine had proved 95.8 percent effective in preventing coronavirus infection among those vaccinated two weeks after receiving their second shot compared to unvaccinated people, according to data compiled up to February 13.

It added the jab was 99.2 percent effective against serious illness and 98.9 percent effective in preventing death.

For those tested one week after receiving a second jab, the vaccine was 91.9 percent effective against infection, 96.4 percent effective in preventing serious illness and 94.5 percent in preventing death.

"Our goal is to continue vaccinating all our population aged 16 and up, to reach a wide coverage of the population that will enable us to return to our much missed routines," health ministry director general Hezi Levi said in a statement Saturday.

The jab developed by US pharma giant Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech is based on novel mRNA technology and was the first vaccine against Covid-19 to be approved in the West late last year.

Israel, which has one of the world's most sophisticated medical data systems, secured a substantial stock of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine by paying above market price and by striking a data-sharing deal with the US company.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/pfiz...nistry-2375126

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                      I just want Costa to be allowed to put their seats down. Am I reaching for the stars here ? I never go to a gym in summer so don't care about that at all, although I wouldn't mind a swim here and there. Exercise wize im an outdoorsy type. Masks dont bother me at all, and I wear glasses.
                                      On the odd occasion I have my glasses on in a shop I wear a visor - no steam!

Comment

Oh yeah theres no problem with a visor and steam. I just prefer to wear a mask though. Its odd though cos sometimes they really steam up, othertimes nothing. I think its about getting the mask really snug.
                                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• So those are basically data concerning only one week? OK then
                                          jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

Are visors allowed in your country? In my country, they aren't any longer, just FFP2 or medicinal masks.

Comment

Are visors allowed in your country? In my country, they aren't any longer, just FFP2 or medicinal masks.
                                              Face coverings I believe, so it counts as far as I know. I’ve never been challenged anyway.

Comment

• I hate facemasks as I can't wear my glasses at the same time if I want to see anything. So I only wear it going to the supermarket (and school) where it is mandatory. I put my glasses into my pocket, put on my mask, go into the store, take what I need, go out, mask off, glasses back on.
                                                Same at school where it is mandatory in the halls. So I try to leave my classroom as little as possible.
                                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I have bad eyes, but I can wear masks without a problem like 90% of the times without my glasses getting steamy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                                    go into the store, take what I need, go out

You know you're supposed to pay for that stuff?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X