This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

I read that earlier and my heart sank a bit - how can they say that these measures will remain in place for "years" but Boris says that come 21 June, we might be free of them? It's all very confusing, and frustrating.
    ​​​​​​That's just a date, like he said about Christmas and then Easter. Think the 21st means when everything is open (nightclubs and so on).
    Face coverings and social distancing are going to be around for some time, maybe years.

There's no guarantee about different variations coming in and how to control it without some sort of restrictions.

Comment

• Australia and New Zealand are about to come into Autumn/Winter, this really will be the 1st test of what other countries will be like come the end of the year.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Parkelife View Post
        ​​​​​​That's just a date, like he said about Christmas and then Easter. Think the 21st means when everything is open (nightclubs and so on).
        Face coverings and social distancing are going to be around for some time, maybe years.

There's no guarantee about different variations coming in and how to control it without some sort of restrictions.
        The government literally say this in their roadmap:

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...before-21-june

That definitely means reducing all social distancing requirements, and it follows surely that this must apply to not wearing face masks also? Even allowing for some delays to this, how can it be that we now hear that social distancing and face masks might need to continue for years to come?

Comment

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

That definitely means reducing all social distancing requirements, and it follows surely that this must apply to not wearing face masks also? Even allowing for some delays to this, how can it be that we now hear that social distancing and face masks might need to continue for years to come?
          It's about the different variations, there's no guarantee at all! Look at what they are now saying about foreign holidays, may not happen this year.
          Was watching BBC24 last week and was saying about winter 2021, how Covid will search out the people who haven't had the jab or where the jab hasn't worked on people. Saying, there could be a 3rd wave then.

Comment

• But there will surely come a time when society says: 'We will return to normal life and therefore learn to live with the risk that some people may get infected and yes, even die.' once Corona will no longer have those quantitative dimensions, won't it?

Comment

Note the wording - "hopes to be"

It was phrased like that for a reason. No one can predict with certainty how things will be on the 21st June four months prior, or whenever that was drafted.

I mean arent they already back tracking on the foreign holidays in May thing ?
              " Princess of Pop Katy Perry "
              Stan of Meredith.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Note the wording - "hopes to be"

It was phrased like that for a reason. No one can predict with certainty how things will be on the 21st June four months prior, or whenever that was drafted.

I mean arent they already back tracking on the foreign holidays in May thing ?
                I note the wording, but there’s a world of difference between delays lasting a few weeks or even months, and measures now lasting for “years” - this is two entirely different, conflicting messages from the government and a representative on their scientific committees.

Comment

• No one knows how long the vaccine gives immunity to folk, we could be doing this all again this time next year.

Comment

• I work for Samuel Smith's.
                    https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/

HR sent an email out to everyone last week because we're getting ready to reopen, saying the company will not supply face coverings this time but it's company policy to wear them for the rest of 2021 until further notice.

Comment

• I thought we knew that it was likely to provide a level of immunity for half a year or more, but that this would probably become an annual vaccination programme at the very least?

These are all manageable evils that we know we have to answer - but the “measures lasting years” stuff is very frustrating.

Comment

• Maybe we'll have to live with covid with years to come. WHO said the world of future might be full of pandemics so we should prepare ourselves for the worst and be happy if it doesn't happen
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I just cannot imagine how we can possibly live with restrictions for years on end - it’s totally unrealistic. Predominantly, we cannot afford to do it.

If the issue is international travel, then shut the borders forever or impose restrictions on those who choose to go on holiday - as I’m not living a life of restrictions so that Karens can have an all inclusive in Benidorm.

I’m very annoyed by all of this.

Comment

• If all restrictions was to be lifted in June, that would mean everyone will be back at work, no more working from home - but why have they extended the furlough scheme to 30 September?

Comment

If all restrictions was to be lifted in June, that would mean everyone will be back at work, no more working from home - but why have they extended the furlough scheme to 30 September?
                              Because they anticipate continued interruption to those sectors most impacted - and you’ll note that the scheme is fundamentally different in the last 3 months of the scheme, with employers having to start contributing to the employer salary.

The government are also extending the Covid legislation for a further 6 months to give themselves the power to reintroduce lockdowns in that timeframe if they need to.

I like that they are taking cautious approaches and I can deal with setbacks that run for weeks or even months.

Comment

• Costa are also having conversations with their franchise outlets to keep social distancing and face masks for staff and customers for the year.

Comment

• Covid-19: Record-breaking day with 844,285 vaccine doses given in UK

The number of daily Covid-19 vaccine doses administered in the UK has hit a record high for a third consecutive day.

A combined total of 844,285 first or second doses were given on Saturday, up from 711,157 on Friday.

On Twitter, Prime Minister Boris Johnson thanked "everyone involved".

More than 27.6 million people in the UK - more than half the adult population - have now received at least one dose of a vaccine.

Mr Johnson, who received his first dose on Friday, said: "A huge thank you to everyone involved and please come forward to get your jab when you are invited to do so."

Sir Simon Stevens, chief executive of NHS England, added: "In just one day we vaccinated the equivalent of the entire adult populations of Liverpool, Southampton and Oxford combined."

A slightly higher daily total of 873,784 was initially reported by the PM and Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who added later the figures from Scotland had "been revised down slightly" but it was "still our record day".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56477291

Comment

• I got my first vaccine dose today, and now need to wait before the other one. Fantasizing about travel in my head, but not sure how realistic that is yet.

Comment

• There are definitely conflicting messages about, you can’t say 21st June is “freedom” but then keep face-masks and social distancing.

Boris has said today that this European “third wave” will impact the UK yet closing the borders completely is off the table so what do we expect?

Comment

• I think irrespective of the vaccine, I've come to the conclusion this year is going to be another 2020. Roll on 2022.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                                          I think irrespective of the vaccine, I've come to the conclusion this year is going to be another 2020. Roll on 2022.
                                          Wonder how many years we’ll be saying this for

Comment

• I think until the vaccination will be complete in everywhere in the world. God knows when will that be
                                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Boris has said today that this European “third wave” will impact the UK yet closing the borders completely is off the table so what do we expect?
                                              This "European" wave is due to the British mutation.
                                              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                I think until the vaccination will be complete in everywhere in the world. God knows when will that be
                                                2025 - tentatively. But then we will have Covid-25.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• It's common sense there will still be social distancing/face coverings, the vast amount of people in the world needs to be vaccinated 1st.

Comment

It's common sense there will still be social distancing/face coverings, the vast amount of people in the world needs to be vaccinated 1st.
                                                    It’s not common sense.

It being common sense is predicated on the fact that the government guidance should be ignored in its entirety - this is the issue that frustrates me most. The government have clearly stated that all social contact measures can be discarded come 21 June, if the roadmap continues as is.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X