Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
    Yes it will end up like flu, and I guess at some point we will stop testing people who think they have it and expect them to just get on with it (as we do flu). When you think about how often someone catches real flu, it’s hardly ever - I think I’ve had it once, and once was enough (I had hallucinations).
    I really hope for this to happen soon. It's unseen to limit public life to an absolute minimum for such a long period and basically accept all the social, economic and health-related consequences that come along with the lockdown.
    Pro: freedom of speech
    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Everything I'm reading lately for the UK suggests positivity - all good for the roadmap dates so far, social distancing may be gone from 21st June (but masks may remain for public transport and shops), expected third wave to be minimal as the vaccine rollout will mitigate the impact... I think the only thing that might be an issue is if every dashes off on a foreign holiday over summer and brings a dodgy strain back, but as long as the worst countries are on the red list hopefully it won't come to that.

Comment

• Thriller : When will masks in public transports and shops be gone in the UK? NZ surely is already there when they can have concerts with thousands of people. Same for Israel.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
          Thriller : When will masks in public transports and shops be gone in the UK? NZ surely is already there when they can have concerts with thousands of people. Same for Israel.
          No one can say at the moment it seems, I hope they ditch them for gigs and festivals and just ask for a negative test like the pilot events in Liverpool this weekend.

Comment

• The benefits in Germany are already coming for vaccinated people/recovered cases. According to government spokesman Steffen Seibert the move is about returning basic rights to people who are due them.

Germany is to lift restrictions on people who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 as early as this week!! The bill was approved on Monday by Germany’s “corona cabinet”, which is chaired by the chancellor, Angela Merkel. It says people who have been inoculated against Covid-19 or have recovered from the disease will no longer be subject to curfews or restrictions on social gatherings.

In Demmark there is already something similar.

In Denmark, people who can show on their “coronapas” that they have been inoculated, or have had a negative PCR test result within the last 72 hours, or have had a previous infection, can visit restaurants, bars, cafés, museums, art galleries, libraries, zoos and theme parks.

Full Story via FT -
            https://www.ft.com/content/86877a16-...7-2f2d84219809

Comment

• At the moment, all regions in the German states Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg are under the incidence of 100, which means loosened restrictions.

Comment

• Just in - Octoberfest has been cancelled for the second year running. The decision has been taken before any preparations began. I am surprised they made the decision this early - October seems a long way away.

Officials say they made the decision with "heavy hearts" because there are too many risks in attracting tourists and allowing crowds to gather while Germany's infection numbers remain high.

Comment

• It would've been the first major event post-Corona, so they probably want to prevent a backlash, but they should have been more self-confident imo. The Grammys, the Superbowl and the big concert by Six60 gave so much hope - Germany would've probably cancelled all of them straight away :( . It's ridiculous that the German Oktoberfest may not take place in Germany but in the Emirates.
                  Germany's first vaccine dose rate is at 28.7% at the moment, and they promise to speed things up even more. If only 0.5% is vaccinated per day from now on, they'd be at 70% by late July. The Oktoberfest starts in September.
                  Last edited by theMathematician; Tue May 4, 2021, 13:19.

Comment

• If you thinks things will be normal in September, think again. Despite vaccinations, this virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And Europe should put a travel ban on Turkey, our government will hide real figures and tourists who come here will go back to their countries with new variants of virus.
                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                      If you thinks things will be normal in September, think again. Despite vaccinations, this virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And Europe should put a travel ban on Turkey, our government will hide real figures and tourists who come here will go back to their countries with new variants of virus.
                      In particular with that background, when will you return to living 'normal' again? Are we still trying to get things around somehow and hope that the next year, 2022, will be better? Another wasted year called 2021 then. 2022 may not be perfect either with something unexpected coming. 2023 then? Or 2024? For many people, festivals are a major income source, and they should have the right to know when they are allowed to... well, basically work again.

Comment

• There is no way things will be back to normal by september. I mean I hope so cause it's my birthday but I doubt it. By Q4 2021 what would logically should be happening is that the increased rate of asymptomatic (due to vaccinations) infections of the summer would start turning symptomatic due to new variants taking over and vaccine coverage falling. The need for new rounds of vaccinations will lead governments playing the fear card again and we would be more or less in a light version of what we have now, perhaps with better vaccines or better versions of today's vaccines in the market. Over? unlikely
                        jio CHARTS NOW: 4/5/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10617604

Comment

• HIV isn't over. Cancer isn't over. The difference is that we don't limit public life to the absolute minimum in favor of them. So the important point is when we'll learn to accept Corona being there without any public measurements. People will die, but they will die for all kind of reasons.

Comment

• People are still comparing Coronavirus to Cancer and HIV? Wasn't comparable a year ago, or six months ago, or three months ago and they still are not comparable now.
                            Last edited by InFamous; Tue May 4, 2021, 17:21.

Comment

HIV isn't over. Cancer isn't over. The difference is that we don't limit public life to the absolute minimum in favor of them. So the important point is when we'll learn to accept Corona being there without any public measurements. People will die, but they will die for all kind of reasons.
                              I get the point, but you can't catch HIV or develop cancer simply from breathing.

Comment

HIV isn't over. Cancer isn't over. The difference is that we don't limit public life to the absolute minimum in favor of them. So the important point is when we'll learn to accept Corona being there without any public measurements. People will die, but they will die for all kind of reasons.
                                You should catch covid, infect your parents with it and then decide yourself when we should learn to accept people dying because of it.
                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Thombus View Post

I get the point, but you can't catch HIV or develop cancer simply from breathing.
                                  There is no point at all to get. Trying to compare Coronavirus to a genetic disease or a sexually transmitted disease is completely illogical and makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

There is no point at all to get. Trying to compare Coronavirus to a genetic disease or a sexually transmitted disease is completely illogical and makes no sense.
                                    I like it when you get angry too

Comment

You could compare it with the very first stages of the AIDS epidemic, when people did not know what is causing it and how it spreads. Certainly you cannot compare it once those things were known.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thombus View Post

I like it when you get angry too
                                        I'm not angry babe, my face is a picture of calm. I just find it incredibly ridiculous that people continue to make illogical comparisons between Corona and completely unrelated diseases and further dismissive comments about death, especially in light of the fact that so many members here have been effected by it lately.

Comment

I'm not angry babe, my face is a picture of calm. I just find it incredibly ridiculous that people continue to make illogical comparisons between Corona and completely unrelated diseases and further dismissive comments about death, especially in light of the fact that so many members here have been effected by it lately.
                                          Oh I'm not disagreeing. I saw his point as "we can't surely limit life forever", which I get as we all want life back to "normal" as soon as.

The dick move was the comparison and disregard for the losses mentioned only a few pages prior by some of our members.

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post

You could compare it with the very first stages of the AIDS epidemic, when people did not know what is causing it and how it spreads. Certainly you cannot compare it once those things were known.
                                            Well seeing as Coronavirus begun at the back end of 2019 this point makes no sense whatsoever. But I think you know that anyway
                                            Last edited by InFamous; Tue May 4, 2021, 17:37.

Comment

Well seeing as Coronavirus begun at the back end of 2019 this point makes no sense whatsoever. But I think you know that anyway
                                              Depends what you want to say and argue about really... the point mathematician was making is pretty valid, even though it is in complete contrast with mine.

Comment

• European new infection rates per 100 000 from lowest (#1) to highest (#31) (no micro-states): UPDATE
                                                1. Iceland
                                                2. United Kingdom
                                                3. Finland
                                                4. Portugal
                                                5. Malta
                                                6. Ireland
                                                7. Norway
                                                8. Slovakia
                                                9. Denmark
                                                10. Romania
                                                11. Spain
                                                13. Italy
                                                18. Germany
                                                23. Poland
                                                27. Netherlands
                                                28. France
                                                29. Croatia
                                                30. Sweden
                                                31. Cyprus

Comment

• This is such a tough topic and people are arguing about this whole thing controversially in my country. I personally am a more pragmatic person; all of you know this by now. Theoretically, I should not be ashamed for having this position, but out of respect for people who have experienced severe cases in their environment, I try to be a bit more empathetic there. So yes, I do feel sorry for all of you guys and I know that it's a hard time for you. It is very hard to say: 'Let's get back to normality!'. We will reach that point, and I believe my country is in a comfortable position for that because the vaccination rates are finally picking up, but it's not a leader and therefore can learn from other countries like NZ, Israel or the United Arabian Emirates which steps to take in which order.
                                                  I admit that I have had a hard time during the lockdown and I know many people who have had. Therefore, yes, I'm looking forward to returning to normality and believe that it will a period of awakening in all kinds of ways.
                                                  Last edited by theMathematician; Tue May 4, 2021, 18:23.

Comment

• Why are you apologetic? I don't think you made anyone upset, not even close...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X