Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jio View Post
    Why are you apologetic? I don't think you made anyone upset, not even close...
    aRat's dad died and my friend died because of covid. So instead of being bored with restrictions, he could try to be more emphatic with the situation. It's not like we enjoy being locked in our houses. No one wants to return to normalcy more than me, i miss my bars & clubs but we have to be sure to minimize deaths & infections before opening up completely. Numbers might be just statistics for you guys but each person dies is someone's mother, brother, friend, child, etc.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Yes I think a little sensitivity would be a good idea rather than a “people die, get over it” attitude.

Comment

• Seems like one never learns after all.
        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

aRat's dad died and my friend died because of covid. So instead of being bored with restrictions, he could try to be more emphatic with the situation. It's not like we enjoy being locked in our houses. No one wants to return to normalcy more than me, i miss my bars & clubs but we have to be sure to minimize deaths & infections before opening up completely. Numbers might be just statistics for you guys but each person dies is someone's mother, brother, friend, child, etc.
          Oh, I am sorry I didn't know all that. I am sorry about your friend and a-rat's dad sincerely.
          jio CHARTS NOW: 4/5/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10617604

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post

Oh, I am sorry I didn't know all that. I am sorry about your friend and a-rat's dad sincerely.
            Also Tlfan and Nippian. Many members have been affected recently and shared their stories here.

Comment

• EDIT
              Last edited by jio; Tue May 4, 2021, 19:34.
              jio CHARTS NOW: 4/5/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10617604

Comment

• I think sometimes we forget we all want the same thing - this to be over and a return to normal life. I think it’s achievable but we are going to end up with seasonal covid in the same way we have seasonal flu.

The sad reality though is flu and flu related illnesses (like pneumonia) appears to have taken on a life of their own too. Who can honestly say they used to think of flu as a huge killer? And yet, in the UK it kills tens of thousands every year and WHO believe can be as high as 650,000 globally.

I don’t know when that became acceptable really. My own grandmother was very allergic to the flu jab so stopped having it in late life and she died from pneumonia in her 80s. The pandemic has really highlighted the fact we view that as ‘part of life’ and an acceptable death, but now I’m not so sure.

If the annual covid death rate ends up matching the flu rate, frankly it’s a sad state of affairs.
                I said "Lily, Oh Lily I'm so afraid, I fear I am walking in the Veil of Darkness".
                And she said "Child, take what I say with a pinch of salt... and protect yourself with fire".

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Well Covid is clearly a far more serious threat to the world than the flu. Over 3.2 million deaths globally in a little over a year. The way India is currently being decimated by this virus simply does not and has never happened with flu. I will quite happily admit that I had no real idea that deaths from flu were that high annually, I was quite shocked when I looked into that but clearly this virus is far more potent than flu.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                    Well Covid is clearly a far more serious threat to the world than the flu. Over 3.2 million deaths globally in a little over a year. The way India is currently being decimated by this virus simply does not and has never happened with flu. I will quite happily admit that I had no real idea that deaths from flu were that high annually, I was quite shocked when I looked into that but clearly this virus is far more potent than flu.
                    we often forget that the common flu kills hundreds of thousands of people when it's a bad flu season worldwide. Corona is something completely different.

Ever since we are all wearing masks... I haven't even had somwhat of a "cold" tho. Even when Corona is over and done with... I will continue wear masks from October - May in any given year.
                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

we often forget that the common flu kills hundreds of thousands of people when it's a bad flu season worldwide. Corona is something completely different.

Ever since we are all wearing masks... I haven't even had somwhat of a "cold" tho. Even when Corona is over and done with... I will continue wear masks from October - May in any given year.
                      Same. I am usually very prone to colds and I have not had so much as a sniffle since this pandemic started. You have to think that all these hygiene measures that we have seen introduced everywhere are fundamental things that we should have, as a people, been doing anyway.

Comment

Well Covid is clearly a far more serious threat to the world than the flu. Over 3.2 million deaths globally in a little over a year. The way India is currently being decimated by this virus simply does not and has never happened with flu. I will quite happily admit that I had no real idea that deaths from flu were that high annually, I was quite shocked when I looked into that but clearly this virus is far more potent than flu.
                        I don’t know how to quantify that it’s more potent when flu has a vaccine issued annually. Historically flu has been an absolute beast of a killer (Spanish Flu - as high as 100 million people) so it’s a hard comparison.
                        I said "Lily, Oh Lily I'm so afraid, I fear I am walking in the Veil of Darkness".
                        And she said "Child, take what I say with a pinch of salt... and protect yourself with fire".

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I don’t know how to quantify that it’s more potent when flu has a vaccine issued annually. Historically flu has been an absolute beast of a killer (Spanish Flu - as high as 100 million people) so it’s a hard comparison.
                          Spanish flu was a very specific strain caused by a mutation if I remember . It is not the same thing as the seasonal flu that circulates annually.
                          In fact I would say that Coronavirus is the closest thing we have seen to Spanish flu since.

Comment

Spanish flu was a very specific strain caused by a mutation if I remember . It is not the same thing as the seasonal flu that circulates annually.
                            In fact I would say that Coronavirus is the closest thing we have seen to Spanish flu since.
                            But ‘the annual flu’ isn’t the same strain every year.

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• The two current hotspots are still seriously struggling.

India records 3786 deaths today, I think that is the most daily deaths on record and Brazil record 2759. May they rest in peace.

Comment

• I really would love for some of the public health measures set in place to be here a lot longer.

I mean, some of them have been good practice forever anyways: frequent hand washing, covering your mouth with your arm when coughing/sneezing, cleaning and sanitizing, etc.

I definitely wouldn't mind people keeping their distance from around me when I'm out and about
                                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I will definitely return to pre-Corona conditions as soon as I can because I couldn't find anything positive about the lockdown experience. I mean yeah, I've been sick less frequently, but that's not worth all the restrictions.
                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                    I really would love for some of the public health measures set in place to be here a lot longer.

I mean, some of them have been good practice forever anyways: frequent hand washing, covering your mouth with your arm when coughing/sneezing, cleaning and sanitizing, etc.

I definitely wouldn't mind people keeping their distance from around me when I'm out and about
                                    Agreed. Also simple things like a dentist or barber wearing a mask when working on people makes sense. Or a doctor who sees many people daily.

Comment

• US supports vaccine patent waiver proposal at World Trade Organization
                                      https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/05/p...ers/index.html

Washington (CNN)The Biden administration, in a major decision Wednesday, said it would support easing patent rules on Covid-19 vaccines after intense internal debate and strong pushback from American drugmakers, potentially expanding the global supply and narrowing the vaccination gap between rich and poor nations.

The move is preliminary and will not guarantee that the patent rules are lifted right away. But the Biden administration's signal of support amounts to a major step that aid groups and Democrats had been pressing for.

"The Administration believes strongly in intellectual property protections, but in service of ending this pandemic, supports the waiver of those protections for COVID-19 vaccines," US Trade Representative Katherine Tai wrote in a statement.

President Joe Biden and Tai had been weighing the issue after calls from global aid groups and liberal Democrats to support the waivers, which have been proposed by India and South Africa.

Biden as a candidate promised to support such waivers, but had been under pressure from pharmaceutical companies to keep them in place.

"The Administration's aim is to get as many safe and effective vaccines to as many people as fast as possible," Tai said in her statement. "As our vaccine supply for the American people is secured, the Administration will continue to ramp up its efforts -- working with the private sector and all possible partners -- to expand vaccine manufacturing and distribution. It will also work to increase the raw materials needed to produce those vaccines."

There had been divisions within the administration over whether to ease some patent restrictions on vaccines, according to people familiar with the matter, as the President neared a decision on loosening some intellectual property rules on pharmaceutical products, a move that could expand global vaccine supply.

Biden had faced scrutiny over how and when he will distribute surplus vaccines doses abroad, with some advocates accusing him of not doing enough to help struggling countries like India vaccinate their populations.

The patent debate had pitted some of the administration's health and development experts against those inside the White House who are wary of angering major drug manufacturers like Pfizer and Moderna, whose products have allowed the country to begin returning to normal, according to people familiar with the internal dynamics.

Others inside the administration were concerned at the optics of Biden reversing a pledge he made as a candidate to "absolutely positively" commit to sharing vaccine technology if elected president. And some voiced concern at appearing overly deferential to big pharmaceutical companies against the wishes of progressives.

The debate landed at the feet of Tai, who had been gathering information on the topic before representing the United States at a meeting of the World Trade Organization's General Council that gets underway Wednesday. The White House said Tai would make a recommendation to Biden on whether to support a petition in front of the WTO sponsored by India and South Africa to waive an intellectual property agreement on pharmaceutical products.

Outside aid groups, liberal Democrats in Congress and other world leaders had all called on Biden to support easing some patent restrictions on vaccines. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi raised the issue in a phone call with Biden last week. And supporters of the move planned a rally in Washington on Wednesday to further pressure Biden.

More:
                                      https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/05/p...ers/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                        I really would love for some of the public health measures set in place to be here a lot longer.

God, I really hope our handshake culture is dead for good. It won't be missed.

I don't want to touch or be touched by anyone but family or close friends. Keep your germs, please. And as a lefty, handshakes have always felt awkward for me anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post

God, I really hope our handshake culture is dead for good. It won't be missed.

I don't want to touch or be touched by anyone but family or close friends. Keep your germs, please. And as a lefty, handshakes have always felt awkward for me anyway.
                                          I will miss giving hugs though. I love to hug friends, colleagues and family.
                                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Once people are vaccinated though that wont be a problem.

Comment

• I think the expectation that you greet with a handshake or hug has changed permanently.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Another half a year and you can have close body contact with the people you love again <3 .
                                                Last edited by theMathematician; Wed May 5, 2021, 23:40.

Comment

• The situations remains drastic in India and Brazil with almost 4000 deaths in India and over 2500 deaths in Brazil.
                                                  Some European countries are creeping back up too close to or over the 300 mark in terms of deaths.
                                                  Last edited by InFamous; Thu May 6, 2021, 01:00.

Comment

• I had no close body contact with anyone since Corona, including handshakes or hugs. I'm not in a relationship and always felt a bit awkward doing social signs of affection (= hugs or even kissing, handshakes seemed OK in some cases), so it'll be the opposite for me: I'll try to show more social signs of affection post-Corona.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X