No announcement yet.

Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost my ten pounds of Xmas weight in the last five weeks and I am hovering close to a 30 inch waist again
    Success!

Not Gwenyth thinking a slice of bread is a big deal
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I’m on day two of the ‘getting back into the work trousers’ diet
      I'm the same.

It does feel amazing but weird.

I find it strange that they've not been explicit about people returning to work or the office - you can have a rule of 6 inside and a rule of 30 outside, but you can't return to work in a Covid secure way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

I'm the same.

It does feel amazing but weird.

I find it strange that they've not been explicit about people returning to work or the office - you can have a rule of 6 inside and a rule of 30 outside, but you can't return to work in a Covid secure way?
        The office thing is tricky.

I appreciate so many businesses rely on that lunch hour trade, but there is no practical reason to ask office workers to go back into the office. Most office workers have been able to work from home, aren’t costing the tax payer furlough, and encouraging them back into the office only puts added pressure on public transport.

I work in an office and have no interest in going back. I’m seriously hoping Britain has learnt something about work/life balance and is more receptive to flexible working.

Spending two hours a day on a commute (an hour each way, for example) doesn’t sound unreasonable, but that’s 43 days a year just getting to and from work. It’s stupid and I think a lot of people have realised that - and I know a lot of people spend a lot longer getting to and from work (my own boss used to spend four hours a days commuting - utter madness).

I know other businesses will suffer if it becomes the norm, but hopefully if people have more free time, there’ll be new business and job opportunities in other areas to meet demand - anyone working from home is going to want to go out on an evening and do something fun.
        “I shouldn’t be in a conservatorship if I can work and provide money and work for myself and pay other people — it makes no sense”

#FreeBritney

Comment

• You do know that there are many people who have not enjoyed home office and wish to return to office asap, don't you? Social isolation, it's harder to motivate yourself at home, domestic problems. Home office is pretty much good when you live alone and are good at organizing yourself. For everyone else... Ouch.
          Pro: freedom of speech
          Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

The office thing is tricky.

I appreciate so many businesses rely on that lunch hour trade, but there is no practical reason to ask office workers to go back into the office. Most office workers have been able to work from home, aren’t costing the tax payer furlough, and encouraging them back into the office only puts added pressure on public transport.

I work in an office and have no interest in going back. I’m seriously hoping Britain has learnt something about work/life balance and is more receptive to flexible working.

Spending two hours a day on a commute (an hour each way, for example) doesn’t sound unreasonable, but that’s 43 days a year just getting to and from work. It’s stupid and I think a lot of people have realised that - and I know a lot of people spend a lot longer getting to and from work (my own boss used to spend four hours a days commuting - utter madness).

I know other businesses will suffer if it becomes the norm, but hopefully if people have more free time, there’ll be new business and job opportunities in other areas to meet demand - anyone working from home is going to want to go out on an evening and do something fun.
            I personally think it's two separate issues - one of Covid safety and one of whether work/life balance can be improved by allowing people to work from home (though the former has clearly accelerated the latter in terms of the change). It's clearly no longer a matter of safety, the "work from home" order should be lifted IMO.

A hybrid approach to office working is the ideal solution IMO - I personally feel the ideal would be working a couple of days in the office and a couple of days at home each week.

Comment

• I think home office is a great idea and it could be worked in a way that people do three days at home, two in the building. I know loads of people who have adapted perfectly well to working from home and love it, mainly due to excessive commuting.

Comment

• I can't believe how quickly these stages are coming around now, and were a month away from all restrictions being lifted. But after the hangovers I have had after the 2 nights out I've had since the pubs reopened. I don't think I'm ready now
                1 Coldplay |2 Galantis|3 Sigrid |4 pnau |5 Agnes

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                  I can't believe how quickly these stages are coming around now, and were a month away from all restrictions being lifted. But after the hangovers I have had after the 2 nights out I've had since the pubs reopened. I don't think I'm ready now
                  I have to admit I was sceptical when Borisio announced the roadmap a few months back but I am very impressed so far.

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I can't believe how quickly these stages are coming around now, and were a month away from all restrictions being lifted. But after the hangovers I have had after the 2 nights out I've had since the pubs reopened. I don't think I'm ready now
                      Our approach to vaccination has been the only thing that our government has truly gotten right, at least in respect of our national interests. It isn’t lost on me however how fortunate we all are - shocking how many countries are still at 0% vaccination rates.

Comment

• Is vaccine hesitancy an issue in Europe? It's basically assured we won't get herd immunity here.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                          Is vaccine hesitancy an issue in Europe? It's basically assured we won't get herd immunity here.
                          Yeah it is.

I just shared that I'll get my vaccines next month at work and wow, the reaction was shocking. Some don't get it and now I even feel weird that I actually shared this news here

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Is vaccine hesitancy an issue in Europe? It's basically assured we won't get herd immunity here.
                            In England, 95% of those over the age of 50 have had the vaccine - that percentage is even higher in Scotland (98%) but lower in Northern Ireland (93%) and Wales (92%).

I suspect the take up rate might reduce for those under 40, but the take up rate in the U.K. is otherwise marvellous I think (in the age groups that most need it).

One thing I did read the other day is that there’s a disparity among ethnic groups in the U.K. - as an example, according to an ONS study, a person of Black African origin over the age of 70 is 7.4 times more likely to have NOT had the vaccine than a White British person over the age of 70.

Comment

• Tansike : I'm a bit torn about how loosely people write health data on the internet, including when or how they are getting vaccinated and if they got infected or not. I understand why people do that, but I'm not sure whether it's for the public to know. One of our politicians got infected asympomatically and I was like: 'Wouldn't it have been enough to just say you're sick without giving specific reasons.'.

Wayne : I read about the high shares in the UK and was surprised to read that so many (older) Britons seem pro-vaccination. I'm not sure about exact numbers from my country, but the share of pro-vaccination people with a migrational background is much more lower in my country as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

One thing I did read the other day is that there’s a disparity among ethnic groups in the U.K. - as an example, according to an ONS study, a person of Black African origin over the age of 70 is 7.4 times more likely to have NOT had the vaccine than a White British person over the age of 70.
                                Yes, even my anecdotal observations, this seems to be true across the board - not only in the UK.

I think I am currently the only one in my family currently pro vaccine. So maybe once I get my shot and can share my results and experience that will help.

With these communities, I think personal experience and time helps. I would even say a carrot and stick may be necessary.
                                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• In Turkey, 15% of health workers aren't and will not be vaccinated. Vaccine hesitancy is definitely an issue in Turkey.
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                    In Turkey, 15% of health workers aren't and will not be vaccinated. Vaccine hesitancy is definitely an issue in Turkey.
                                    I wouldn't be surprised if the share is even higher in Germany.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the share is even higher in Germany.
                                      Really? How surprising.
                                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Really? How surprising.
                                        During first reports about vaccinations in nursery homes, I heard multiple times that a much higher share of residents were willing to go for a vaccination than the nurses working there.

Comment

• Any healthcare worker who does not get vaccinated should be removed from their position with no redundency or recommendation to ever work in the setting again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post

Yeah it is.

I just shared that I'll get my vaccines next month at work and wow, the reaction was shocking. Some don't get it and now I even feel weird that I actually shared this news here
                                            Don't understand why you feel weird about sharing that you got vaccinated. Loads of people have and it is not a big deal. I will definitely be getting vaccinated as soon as I am elegible. People who are anti vaccine make no sense, most of them are just following a crew of people and have no thoughts of their own. Vaccinations are the key to getting society open and fully functioning again, ironically the ones who crow the most about lockdowns and wanting things to be open are the very ones who are putting barriers in the way to that actually happening. Also, don't forget, the vaccine passport will be happening in Europe this summer. Your vaccine is a good thing so don't worry about the foolish people who have weird reactions for no reason.

Comment

• Was listening to a Governors conference in the US yesterday. One of the governors had a very interesting idea of how they are now moving to "meet people where they are". He said that they have now opened up a portal that would enable their mobile clinic team to be booked by businesses, churches, and others, including for parties.

I thought it was an interesting idea, especially because it would mean that the vaccines would be distributed in the places people go to and trust.

He said his state has moved from a "Vaccine excited" phase to a "vaccine busy" phase - meaning some people are too busy to go to a clinic to get the shot etc and that doesnt necessarily mean they are "vaccine hesistent".
                                              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I have to ask here: How can people be too busy "to go to a clinic to get the shot"? I'm starting to have more people in my environment that got their first vaccination, and they basically took a day off or two to get it done without any stress.

Comment

I haven't been out drinking yet as I am waiting to go indoors. I can't be bothered sitting outside in the rain just for a drink or some food. That has never felt normal to me in the UK. I cannot believe I may be able to go out to a bar 'properly' next week. I am so excited.
                                                  "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

• Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post

I haven't been out drinking yet as I am waiting to go indoors. I can't be bothered sitting outside in the rain just for a drink or some food. That has never felt normal to me in the UK. I cannot believe I may be able to go out to a bar 'properly' next week. I am so excited.
                                                    On Saturday we went to a restaurant/bar and I was expecting the worst because it was pouring down, but they had a gazebo and heaters and it was so well covered it didn’t even feel like being outside, but I’m guessing that not all venues will have been able to do that, the pub we went to a few weeks ago only had the usual pub umbrellas but thankfully it was warm that day.
                                                    1 Coldplay |2 Galantis|3 Sigrid |4 pnau |5 Agnes

Comment

Working...
                                                    X