No announcement yet.

Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sage adviser claims ministers trying to get as many as possible infected with Covid

A scientist advising the government has accused ministers of allowing infections to rip through the younger population in an effort to bolster levels of immunity before the NHS faces winter pressures.

The allegation comes after England’s remaining Covid restrictions were eased on Monday, with nightclubs throwing open their doors for the first time in the pandemic and all rules on social distancing and mask-wearing dropped even as infections run high.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...adviser-claims

Comment

• Of course they are allowed... absolutely not illegal.
      But they applied for a permit from the police (cause the size of it would have blocked streets), and it was denied.

We also have a lockdown and public health orders now which are considered law, and they broke those so sucked in to them.
      MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• @greek_boy: Well, that's Johnson's plan. For what we know, the vaccination works effectively against all variants of the virus and therefore prevents big parts of the population from experiencing heavy cases. There is no vaccination for children yet (For teenagers, there is Biontech, and Moderna will come soon, as well.), but it's scientifically proven that children close to never experience heavy cases with many even being asymptomatic. I think that's the point where you as a state can afford to return to a life without mandatory state measurements. If not now, when? The situation won't get better in winter, and Johnson knows that.
        Pro: freedom of speech
        Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• The U.K. keeping it classy as always…

Comment

• I just found this video, in which Turkish migrants talk about why they do not want to get vaccinated. Of course with the vaccination campaign proceeding, the attention heads towards other groups within the population, such as teenagers and college students, but also migrants, especially Turks as they are the biggest foreign community in Germany. Many are still unsure whether to get vaccinated or not because they fear bigger consequences through the vaccination than a possible infection.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

We might never get to herd immunity but we def passed the threshold for herd stupidity
              We already did long before COVID tbh.
              Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Oh well !

Piers Morgan believes he caught COVID at Euro 2020 final

The broadcaster has revealed he began feeling unwell two days after attending the England v Italy match at Wembley and later tested positive for the virus.

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, he said he'd suffered a raging fever, chills and violent coughing and sneezing fits despite being double-jabbed.

He called the event an "unregulated free-for-all", saying his "confidence that the event would be COVID-safe had disintegrated".

Only those who provided a negative lateral flow test or could prove they were double-jabbed were allowed to enter the stadium, but some ticketless fans managed to breach security.
                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I just read that more than a million Britons are currently in quarantine, e.g. people working in supermarkets or ones emptying rubbish bins. Aren't most of them vaccinated anyway? If people have to go into quarantine all the time despite being vaccinated, what is this leading towards in the long run?
                  Johnson's plan only makes sense if not half the country is stuck in quarantine, basically.

Comment

• yesterday i finally got my second shot!

I am very happy I got to this point without getting the virus nor even having to test myself (only once I felt a little ill and got tested after 72 hours although I was already feeling fine, I am a little freak), despite working out of home with more people during the whole thing and sending my kid to school every day.

I am not letting my guards down though! I'll still make sure to avoid overpopulated places or places without proper ventilation with other people, and I won't take out my facemask... in fact, I would gladly accept using facemasks for now on for the rest of my life.
                    CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                    FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                      I just read that more than a million Britons are currently in quarantine, e.g. people working in supermarkets or ones emptying rubbish bins. Aren't most of them vaccinated anyway? If people have to go into quarantine all the time despite being vaccinated, what is this leading towards in the long run?
                      Johnson's plan only makes sense if not half the country is stuck in quarantine, basically.
                      Every country is doing its own thing. Here in Cyprus for example there are different rules in the south and north for example, and there are even different rules for residents and tourists. It's a mess.
                      jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Yesterdays Freedom day/Anti Lockdown protests in Australia (actually verging on a riots in Sydney and Melbourne location) were so shameful, I felt so much disgust watching the news last night and what we've come to, add to that we knew this was being organised about a week and a half ago.

about 3500 idiots packed in, hardly any of them with masks, clashing with police, punching/pushing horses, on top of roadside storefront rooftops, chanting YOU SERVE US, and meanwhile NSW recorded its worst daily case number since this latest outbreak started a month ago with 163 cases (the last few days have just gone up, and up, and up from 124. 136 to 163) and 50-70 infectious in the community with Delta.

Theres talks the next step may be bringing in the Army to help police the problem LGA's in the south western Sydney area. I so grateful my Mum had the day off and wasnt working in and around anywhere near that circus yesterday.

Victoria was able to get back to 0 last year from 700+ daily cases, but that wasn't Delta. Although theyve been doing ok keeping their last two outbreaks this year under wraps by initiating a snap lockdown right at the outset, whereas NSW played the contact trace game and it backfired this time unlike our previous two scares we got lucky getting on top of, and not acting quick enough in the past 4 weeks of 'Lockdown-Lite', but also not being helped by the sheer lunacy of yesterdays little display.

I just don't know if we are gonna be able to start driving it in the other direction now until we get more numbers vaccinated, which with our problems with the rollout lately, it's looking like Late September/October for things to start improving with more Pfizer coming. We'll have to see what effects yesterdays bullsh!t has on the numbers in a few days time.

Last edited by Affillate; Sun July 25, 2021, 09:51.
                        UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Horrifying just how deluded these people are.

Absolutely shocking.

Comment

• Affillate : Those protests used to be normal even with much higher incidence rates in my country, so we're kind of used to them actually. I guess more and more Australians understand that Zero Covid is just unrealistic. For a short time, this may work, but sooner or later, cases will arrive even in isolated Australia, and you can't always shut down the country because of that. Additionally, that would be highly unfair to the whole travelling industry.

Comment

• True... what we need to get over this is a fully licensed vaccine (so more people can have it with less legitimate worries) and that won't come before 2022/3 at best, higher vaccination rates among high-risk groups globally, affordable and reliable medicine for the unavoidable percentage of people who will end up in hospital (that doesn't seem to be arriving any time soon) and a change in mind set so everything can go back to normal.
                              jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                Yesterdays Freedom day/Anti Lockdown protests in Australia (actually verging on a riots in Sydney and Melbourne location) were so shameful, I felt so much disgust watching the news last night and what we've come to, add to that we knew this was being organised about a week and a half ago.

I just don't know if we are gonna be able to start driving it in the other direction now until we get more numbers vaccinated, which with our problems with the rollout lately, it's looking like Late September/October for things to start improving with more Pfizer coming. We'll have to see what effects yesterdays bullsh!t has on the numbers in a few days time.
                                I, like you, was disgusted by what I saw and still feel really down that people like that are in our society. A peaceful protest is one thing, but these were just hooligans raging about a million different issues - from the govt, to vaccines, to religion, to goodness know what else. I'm sure there were vaccinated people marching with anti-vaxxers. It was just stupid.

But hopefully you'll feel better knowing that whilst around 3,500 were protesting yesterday, we had 102,000 people tested (the highest ever) and 40,000 vaccinations (a record for a Saturday). People spoke with their actions and the majority are doing the right thing. Even better - the police received over 5,500 reports about the protests

We will get through this.
                                MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

I guess more and more Australians understand that Zero Covid is just unrealistic. For a short time, this may work, but sooner or later, cases will arrive even in isolated Australia, and you can't always shut down the country because of that.
                                  Of course, but we had been doing so well up to now (although it's a lot of good luck as well that we managed to contain last years Victorian explosion, and that the Northern Beaches Cluster at Christmas, and the 'BBQ Man' scare about two months ago that didnt spread).

It's just complacency and our Premier putting too much faith in the contact tracers (and moron section of public to 'Please' do the right thing) to get us through at zero like we have before until the big shipment of Pfizer coming in October (which would allow reportedly all age groups to be vaccinated by Christmas 'Supposedly');

and which the Federal Government is hoping would absolve them of criticism for trying to save face with the Astrazeneca Blood Clot debacle and a short supply of Pfizer causing the rollout to grind to a crawl. There's also a State Vs State Govt Political sledge match playing into things as well, which further delayed action on restrictions that should have been in place earlier rather than later.

Covid Delta's contagiousness has just changed the game, and caused things to just quickly spiral out of control before were ready. We're just not at where we need to be to start attempting what other countries are to see how we go with a majority vaccinated.
                                  Last edited by Affillate; Sun July 25, 2021, 13:56.

Comment

InfoFromAus : Are (peaceful) demonstrations and protests in Australia illegal? From a German point of view, your report is sounding very odd as demonstrations are highly respected as integral part of democracy here - especially with Germany's historic background.
                                    Theyre not AFAIK, but seriously as far as I'm concerned there was no justification for any of that to have taken place yesterday, especially with what's going on in Sydney and the risk of it being a superspreader event and hazardous to public health. You could see it coming that it had a high risk of turning ugly & any social distancing measures were probably not able to be enforced effectively enough with just some police there.

Let alone the irony in theyre directly going to be the cause of extending the very thing they are protesting about - Like come on, Gladys isnt gonna stand up in tomorrow press conference and go... 'oh what a turnout of faces! you know what, Lockdown's over guyzzzz' Absolutely not. What a Joke.
                                    Last edited by Affillate; Sun July 25, 2021, 14:25.

Comment

• There are TVs at my gym and at least one usually airs current national and international news, unfortunately 90% are either about the regional flood or Covid-related these days. Anyway, regarding the latter, they also said something about protests in Brazil, Greece and France. So it's not just Australia dealing with this at the moment. And in fact, we've dealt with protests on a regular basis in Germany for the past year, so I'm surprised that it's taken that long for protests to spread to other countries as well.
                                      Of course, I'm against violent protests and hooligans. I support peaceful demonstrations.

Comment

• If they bring more restrictions in Turkey in the Fall, there might be protests here as well. I will not accept any lockdown for a virus that has a vaccine already so our government better do a good planning and ban unvaccinated people from public life. They shouldn't be allowed into cafes, restaurants, bars, markets, etc.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Btw, i went to my fave bar last night. There was live music as usual (even though the music stops at midnight). I danced and drank 2 beers and was without mask for an hour or so. The bar wasn't crowded so i hope i didn't catch anything.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Imagine actually standing there and listening to someone claim that the vaccine has the mark of the devil. Honestly unhinged people leading sheep. Embarassing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post

Theyre not AFAIK, but seriously as far as I'm concerned there was no justification for any of that to have taken place yesterday, especially with what's going on in Sydney and the risk of it being a superspreader event and hazardous to public health. You could see it coming that it had a high risk of turning ugly & any social distancing measures were probably not able to be enforced effectively enough with just some police there.

Let alone the irony in theyre directly going to be the cause of extending the very thing they are protesting about - Like come on, Gladys isnt gonna stand up in tomorrow press conference and go... 'oh what a turnout of faces! you know what, Lockdown's over guyzzzz' Absolutely not. What a Joke.
                                              Exactly. I mean demonstrations in the middle of a lockdown when a highly contagious variant is circulating in the community.

Literal worms for brains. I hope Gladys had the water canons out !!

Comment

• spiritboy , you're so anxious ! Have you been like this pre-Covid as well? In my region, a bunch of restrictions got relieved, and I immediately adjusted to that without any bad conscience. In one German state, people no longer have to wear masks while shopping, and I would love to have my mask off during shopping.
                                                We as a society need to learn again to be less anxious, accept risks in life and be more willing to engage in social interactions. At least that's what I want to do by the time the laws allow me to do so.

Comment

• Also population of UK is over 66 million.
                                                  1 million being in isolation is 1/66th, certainly not "half"

Comment

• Not sure if this is entirely relevant to this topic but let me tell you about my evening last night. We took my Mum out for dinner, but decided to go for a drink beforehand, when we got to the bar, it was bizarre to just be told by doorstaff to just go in, no rules, no masks, no asking for bookings, or to check in etc.. kind of nice, back to normal. They were still taking orders via an app at the table too, which was nice because covid got me lazy when it comes to ordering drinks. It was pretty busy, but was outside and felt quite happy.

At the restaurant, again, we weren't told to wear masks (though we did when walking) and not asked to check in. Staff were all wearing masks and it was nice to see groups of older people out and enjoying a meal.

Then we decided to go for another drink afterwards and this is where it kind of went weird. We went to a cocktail bar. where we were asked if we had booked, we hadn't and the doorstaff told us we could sit at one of the outside tables, which was fine because it was decent weather. They had the barcodes on the table, so I went to order a drink via the app, but the doorman came back over and told us they didn't do table service anymore and I was to go and order at the bar. When I went inside it felt VERY weird. The place was full, I had to squeeze past people to get to the door and everyone was hugging and dancing and close together, all the bar staff weren't wearing masks and were very close together. I thought I would feel happy to be back in that situation, it looked like a normal night out to me, but it made me feel strange and I wasn't expecting it. I'm not sure if I felt weird because of the sudden change to normality, or whether I just felt totally out of place I'm 18 months older than I was the last time I had a night out but I felt about 80 years older so I don't know if it was more that, lots of very young girls wearing not much, with way too much makeup and patchy tans, and bolshy young lads who looked like children thinking they're the man with their vodka redbulls. I was so ready to go back to some sort of nightlife, but it was not the experience I thought I was going to get. Maybe I was in the wrong place.
                                                    1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

Working...
                                                    X