Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    My post was kind of related to some (vaccinated) people distancing themselves from unvaccinated people although they are actually protected through the vaccine.

You shouldn't be concerned about adult people's decisions. I used to in the past as well, but it isn't worth the drama and in the end, adulthood comes with the pro of deciding things for yourself without constantly asking others for permission and the con of taking responsibility for those decisions.
    If your point is that people should be responsible for their own health decisions, then you should find it ok for a vaxed person to make a decision to avoid those who are unvaxed out of health concerns.

Comment

My post was kind of related to some (vaccinated) people distancing themselves from unvaccinated people although they are actually protected through the vaccine.
      To be honest, I think the media frequently misrepresent how a vaccine works. Contrary to how it’s portrayed, it isn’t some special shield that engulfs the recipient in an invisible, protective bubble. It simply provides your immune system with the “resources” (antibodies) to more effectively “fight” it. There’s also some suggestion that it can reduce transmissibility, but it doesn’t prevent it altogether. Should you come into contact with the virus, your body still has to fight it - that doesn’t change. The significantly higher chance of success is where the “protection” lies.

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
      You shouldn't be concerned about adult people's decisions. I used to in the past as well, but it isn't worth the drama and in the end, adulthood comes with the pro of deciding things for yourself without constantly asking others for permission and the con of taking responsibility for those decisions.
      Well that’s ridiculous. It is human nature to want to protect and care for our loved ones. Can you honestly tell me that if a family member became seriously ill or (heaven forbid) even died following exposure to coronavirus on a trip you organised and paid for, you would feel no responsibility or guilt at all?
      Last edited by AceReject; Mon August 9, 2021, 16:27.
      Keep an eye on Dan. Promise me you can. He gets out of hand if you let him…

Comment

• cheapthrills : Yeah, theoretically you've got that right. I just noticed that during the past couple of years, which means including pre-Covid years, there's been such a polarization going on in our Western societies, that the goal should be to unite (despite our differences) instead of separation. I blame social media for creating those social bubbles, to be honest. I work with both, unvaccinated and vaccinated people, and respect their individual choices.

Airwrecka : The goal of this whole vaccination process was to help us as a society return to normality, which includes social gathering in education, work, private meetings outdoor and indoor in smaller and bigger groups. With some people still struggling to do all of this, it's got me wondering what else must happen before they return to normality knowing that the virus won't leave.
        In my family, I've got members with problems as well. They don't want to receive help though and I've learned that it leads nowhere to force your views on them. So if they want help, they will get it. Until then, they need to live with their problems and the consequences that may grow out of them.
        Pro: freedom of speech
        Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• COVID: Vaccinated people in Germany may get more rights

Soon, a trip to the movies, the theater or a restaurant may require proof of vaccination. At least that’s what German Health Minister Jens Spahn wants!

"Masks and tests alone have to make it possible to do essential things, like ride public transport, or visit the hospital or town hall," Spahn told Münchener Merkur newspaper. "But for discos, stadiums or theaters, which aren't essential, I can only imagine needing to be vaccinated or tested to get in."
          https://www.dw.com/en/covid-vaccinat...hts/a-58805301
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

If your point is that people should be responsible for their own health decisions, then you should find it ok for a vaxed person to make a decision to avoid those who are unvaxed out of health concerns.
            Exactly. I would prefer to not catch covid myself obvs but my main concern is with my parents, both of whom would be classed as high risk. Like how is it so hard to understand that we care about OTHER people and are not just thinking of we are young and healthy we will be fine. If I am going to see them I am not prepared to endanger them by taking unneeded risks myself, especially now when there is a highly contagious and more potent strain circulating in the community.
            Last edited by InFamous; Tue August 10, 2021, 03:31.

Comment

• This is a guy who refused to have the vaccine, the video is very hard to watch. It not just about yourself, it's protecting others including family, friends, work colleagues, people sitting next you you on public transport or in a cafe/restaurant/bar.

Comment

• Shocking video.

Comment

• I wish this man all the best for his recovery.
                  However, it needs to be added that while heavy cases do happen, they happen rarely. Regarding the vaccination: He voluntarily decided against it, which may come with consequences. On the other side, the vaccination itself may cause severe side effects in very rare cases as well. He might regret his decision, but that's the case with many issues in our daily life (e.g. smoking, tanning, hair bleaching, risky driving,...).

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                    This is so cute actually, I squealed when I saw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                      This is so cute actually, I squealed when I saw it.
                      Our teachers and our front line staff have been so important during this pandemic. I have the greatest of respect for them. At least he aknowledged this after paying dust to my Hero/ Pitbull mashup

Comment

• The German government is considering to extend the epidemic situation, which is obligatory to announce restrictions of the basic law, once again although the Chancellary minister announced back in March 2021 that once everyone received the option to get vaccinated, there is no more base to justidy restrictions of basic laws. England and Denmark already discontinued mandatory Covid measurements (source).

Comment

• What a mess: Schleswig-Holstein is Germany's hotspot state and its city Flensburg the hotspot region.
                          Guess sooner or later, the regions who used to well in the overall ranking will be hotspots someday - and vice versa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airwrecka View Post

To be honest, I think the media frequently misrepresent how a vaccine works. Contrary to how it’s portrayed, it isn’t some special shield that engulfs the recipient in an invisible, protective bubble. It simply provides your immune system with the “resources” (antibodies) to more effectively “fight” it. There’s also some suggestion that it can reduce transmissibility, but it doesn’t prevent it altogether. Should you come into contact with the virus, your body still has to fight it - that doesn’t change. The significantly higher chance of success is where the “protection” lies.
                            As KEY9481 said we have discussed and explained this at least ten times in length and in great detail on numerous occasions in recent weeks, even going back months.. Certain people just do not want to understand at this point.

Comment

What a mess: Schleswig-Holstein is Germany's hotspot state and its city Flensburg the hotspot region.
                              Guess sooner or later, the regions who used to well in the overall ranking will be hotspots someday - and vice versa.
                              That is true... but it all bc of tourists from other regions who contaminate my beautiful state. What is the incidence in SH? 44? The highest it has ever been was 102 or sth. We may reach 70-80 until it stabilizes and then good luck in your state when the holidayers will be returning.
                              My Chart

Comment

• Looking solely at the incidence rate will become a thing of the past soon anyway. I mean look at Denmark, the UK, Sweden or the Netherlands: Those countries have got much higher incidence rates than Germany and far less restrictions. Even scientists say that the vaccination is doing its job by limiting it infections to mild cases, and knowing that the virus won't leave, this is the most we can expect if we want to return to normality.
                                So yeah, incidence rates will of course increase in fall, but it will be nothing to worry about because it will mostly affect children who, scientifically proven, almost always experience mild to asymptomatic cases.

Comment

• In fall, you may need a negative test to do a bunch of things if you're not vaccinated. And what did I just read?:

You guys know that I've always been anti-measurements, and that I would've rather rewarded the vaccinated people instead of punishing/excluding the unvaccinated ones. But if anti-vaccinators really want to exclude themselves from public life in order to make a point, does society really benefit from that? It's not just that people limit themselves in their opportunities, they also harm businesses who depend on income.
                                  And always the killer argument 'If there's just a tiny bit that irks me, I'll instantly move to the online version.'. I'm usually pro freedom of choice, so that may be a bit inconsequent on my side, but I would support higher taxes for online shopping in order to establish equal chances between online and physical shopping. So yeah, I don't know about you, but if I ran a store, I would everyone who respects my store, my products and my staff to shop there instead of creeping away at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

That is true... but it all bc of tourists from other regions who contaminate my beautiful state. What is the incidence in SH? 44? The highest it has ever been was 102 or sth. We may reach 70-80 until it stabilizes and then good luck in your state when the holidayers will be returning.
                                    Flensburg was a hotspot before so this is nothing new.

Comment

• Sorry, forgot the important part:
                                      - From August 23 on: People need a negative test, vaccination or recovery paper to have access to a bunch of non-essential (restaurants, fitness centers, barber shop, etc.) and essential (nursery homes and hospitals) parts of public life.
                                      - From October 11 on: Tests will no longer be free.
                                      - Merkel guaranteed that there will be no more lockdown for vaccinated and recovered people.
                                      - The measurements will be discontinued when the incidence rate is below 35 (Yeah, they still go by the incidence rate because they couldn't come up with a new plan, but apparently, they are working on it.).

Comment

• COVID-19: UK records 23,510 new coronavirus cases and 146 more deaths, daily figures show

The latest figures come as the Department of Health and Social Care announced more than three-quarters of adults in the UK have now received both doses of the coronavirus jab.

Comment

• Germany to end free Covid tests to boost jab take-up

Germany will end free coronavirus tests in October, regional leaders and the federal government has agreed, in a push to incentivise more people to get vaccinated.

Covid-19 tests or proof of vaccination or recovery will be required to access facilities including restaurants, cinemas and gyms, in areas where the infection rate is high.

From October those who refuse to get jabbed will have to pay to prove they are infection-free, or risk being shut out.

Proof of test or vaccination will be required as soon as the rate of infections in a region reaches 35 per 100,000 people over seven days.

Children and people who for health reasons cannot be vaccinated will still be able to get tested for free.
                                          Germany sending a strong message to the unvaccinated. Get the jab or pay for your own tests if you want to participate in soceity.

Comment

• Chef’s parents and brother die from Covid within week after jab refusal

A man from Cardiff has claimed he lost his mother, father and brother from Covid within a week because all three had chosen not to be jabbed after they were frightened by misinformation from anti-vaxxers.

Francis Goncalves, a chef, said he believed that his father, Basil, 73, contracted Covid while in hospital and his mother, Charmagne, 65, and brother Shaul, 40, picked it up at a family dinner.
                                            He said all three, who were living in Portugal, had turned down the chance to be vaccinated and Goncalves said he hoped sharing his experience may encourage other sceptics to be jabbed.
                                            Honestly these stupid anti vaxers pushing their agendas have literal blood on their hands.

“They got caught up in a lot of the anti-vaccination propaganda,” he said. “It preys on people who are afraid and they fall into the trap. The message I want to get out is why would the government want to hurt you by giving you a vaccine? What is the purpose behind it? I’ve spoken to so many people who are terrified of the vaccine and it costs lives.”
                                            Trust science not fools.

Comment

• Delta variant renders herd immunity from Covid ‘mythical’

Head of Oxford Vaccine Group rules out overall immunity, but also questions need for booster jabs

Reaching herd immunity is “not a possibility” with the current Delta variant, the head of the Oxford Vaccine Group has said.

Giving evidence to MPs on Tuesday, Prof Sir Andrew Pollard said the fact that vaccines did not stop the spread of Covid meant reaching the threshold for overall immunity in the population was “mythical”.

“The problem with this virus is [it is] not measles. If 95% of people were vaccinated against measles, the virus cannot transmit in the population,” he told the all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on coronavirus.

“The Delta variant will still infect people who have been vaccinated. And that does mean that anyone who’s still unvaccinated at some point will meet the virus … and we don’t have anything that will [completely] stop that transmission.”

Although the existing vaccines are very effective at preventing serious Covid illness and death, they do not stop a fully vaccinated person from being infected by the virus that causes Covid-19.
                                              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...covid-mythical

So much for herd immunity ! This Delta variant has really changed the game.
                                              Last edited by InFamous; Wed August 11, 2021, 14:49.

Comment

• Today's the day and finally got my second jab of Pfizer a couple of hours ago.
                                                Feel really blessed, incredibly lucky and happy,especially living in a country like Brazil

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
                                                  Today's the day and finally got my second jab of Pfizer a couple of hours ago.
                                                  Feel really blessed, incredibly lucky and happy,especially living in a country like Brazil
                                                  Thats great, hope you don't have too many side effects. I was wrecked after my second Pfizer shot for 8 days !

Comment

• With herd immunity being impossible, more and more countries will have to accept that the path the UK or Sweden have chosen is the only right one: Vaccinating the vulnerable groups and then learn to live a normal life with the virus being around. As Australia proved: ZeroCovid doesn't work and you can't announce a lockdown every time there is a case somewhere.
                                                    Last edited by theMathematician; Wed August 11, 2021, 14:46.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X