Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I know. I was being you. I don't see any country in Europe ( geographically incl the UK ) locking down again. That ship has sailed
    But it is the only solution. Since school started again in my state, over 200 kids contracted covid-19. The incidence per age group might be in the 300s again. Something has to be done.
    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

But it is the only solution. Since school started again in my state, over 200 kids contracted covid-19. The incidence per age group might be in the 300s again. Something has to be done.
      It's no problem if kids get infected. After 1.5 years of Covid, we would know if the opposite was the case. Many official sources such as the Stiko say that most of them have an asymptomatic case, only a few may experience a mild case. Heavy cases only occur in the case of multiple medical pre-conditions. You as teacher know that these type of children already had a hard time pre-Covid; it's rather one additional risk factor for them. In the end, it's all down to Lauterbach exaggerating that the end of the world is near if a kid gets infected.
      -----

1. I found out that an acquaintance of the family is still unvaccinated. This is surprising to me because that person is 70+ and has got a cancer background. So if that person gets infected, it will most likely be a heavy case. On top of that, that person used to be a doctor before retiring.
      2. My Romanian co-worker returned from their holiday trip a few weeks ago. She once told me that there aren't any measurements going on in her native country, unlike in Germany, so I asked her whether that's still the case and she agreed. I remember how someone (Was it InFamous ?) insisted that rules were rather strict there, and as I don't think that my co-worker would lie to me: Could it depend on the respective region/state in Romania?
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

It's no problem if kids get infected. After 1.5 years of Covid, we would know if the opposite was the case. Many official sources such as the Stiko say that most of them have an asymptomatic case, only a few may experience a mild case. Heavy cases only occur in the case of multiple medical pre-conditions. You as teacher know that these type of children already had a hard time pre-Covid; it's rather one additional risk factor for them. In the end, it's all down to Lauterbach exaggerating that the end of the world is near if a kid gets infected.
        The number of children infected with Delta is already higher than during the last school lockdown in my state... if it continue to rise... then then the number of children who get really sick is also going to rise. There is no argument for saying that kids won't get severely sick... as some do. There is also no comparison between the 1st to 3rd wave and our now 4th wave of Covid-19 as the virus strain is a different one and no society can survive on risking the lives or well-being of its children.
        My Chart

Comment

• Lets act as if kids are all living by themselves and dont have the propensity to pass it on to parents, grandparents, older siblings who work in bars, restaurants etc which will keep the chain of transmission alive.

Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I was in Kings Cross a week ago and honestly, I’ve no idea how I managed to get out without catching Covid. It was a complete cattle market, about half of the people were wearing masks and social distancing was out the window completely.

I definitely don’t have it but after my staycation, I’m resigned to the fact I have to get back to some form of normality - I’m going to have to start going out and enjoying life and living in London, that means the underground and basically accepting that I’m going to catch it.

As Liza says, what good is sitting alone in your room?
            Words are useless, especially sentences.
            they don’t stand for anything.
            How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

The number of children infected with Delta is already higher than during the last school lockdown in my state... if it continue to rise... then then the number of children who get really sick is also going to rise. There is no argument for saying that kids won't get severely sick... as some do. There is also no comparison between the 1st to 3rd wave and our now 4th wave of Covid-19 as the virus strain is a different one and no society can survive on risking the lives or well-being of its children.
              Exactly.

Comment

• So you're saying that the Stiko is incorrect when they say that children do not have to face heavy cases or long term health effects?

menime123 : Exactly, we have to get used to the idea of returning to normality!

Comment

• I find it quite funny that people are rambling on about normality as if things are SO different. Apart from foreign travel I have been living life relatively normally since last August 2020 and just pulled back on things when cases went up over Xmas and then again whenever else it happened. I have taken three staycations.

Today I woke up, I had breakfast outside with a coffee, I went for a walk, called in to work briefly, came home did some cleaning, took a nap, went back out had another coffee, did some shopping, came home, had sex, went for a run, showered, had dinner, washed clothes, and then relaxed and on couch now with my cat.

Are yall sitting at home in dark rooms or what ? Practically everything is open. I mean what are you not doing now Timmy that you were doing before covid ?
                  Last edited by InFamous; Sat August 14, 2021, 00:24.

Comment

menime123 : Exactly, we have to get used to the idea of returning to normality!
                    I live alone so if I catch covid I won’t impact anyone else. I need some form of normality for my own mental health, but never at the expense of someone else’s life - and I think that’s the key difference between our stances.

Comment

I find it quite funny that people are rambling on about normality as if things are SO different. Apart from foreign travel I have been living life relatively normally since last August 2020 and just pulled back on things when cases went up over Xmas and then again whenever else it happened. I have taken three staycations.

Today I woke up, I had breakfast outside with a coffee, I went for a walk, called in to work briefly, came home did some cleaning, took a nap, went back out had another coffee, did some shopping, came home, had sex, went for a run, showered, had dinner, washed clothes, and then relaxed and on couch now with my cat.

Are yall sitting at home in dark rooms or what ? Practically everything is open. I mean what are you not doing now Timmy that you were doing before covid ?
                      I have to agree with you 100%. Even during the so-called lockdown - which wasn't a lockdown... I could do whatever I wanted... I could go swimming in a lake or sea (North Sea, Baltic Sea - you name it), I could meet my friends, I could play outside sports (the school where I teach has tennis courts for example and football fields etc), I've been working through all so-called school-lockdowns... the only thing I couldn't do was go to a bar or dance club or sth. When we wanted to experience some cinema-esque feeling, I had friends over or went to their places and we had beamers and screens in the garden.... shops were also only closed for like 6 weeks... so you could go here n there... one of the cities which are only 20 minutes away from where I lived was a so-called experiment-city-study-case where everything remained open, so if you had to go to an H&M or big shopping mall, I could do that there.

sports clubs opened rather quickly again here... it's like... idk where people are living and experience this doom-and-gloom-restricted-home-alone-life for 1,5 years... certainly not in good ole Germany.
                      My Chart

Comment

I find it quite funny that people are rambling on about normality as if things are SO different.
                        2021 has been a lot tougher for me than 2020 was. I’m still working from home and until last week, hadn’t seen a single member of my family this year until this week (we aren’t local) nor taken a single day off work (bar two days of illness when I got my first jab).

Most of my hobbies are social activities like theatre, cinema, galleries, live events, food, pub etc - most of which only just started to re-opened and I don’t trust them to be completely safe. I also had an August staycation booked, so when all restrictions were lifted in July I just kept going as I didn’t want covid (including the recovery time) to impact my trip.

So no, things are still very different for a lot of people.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

2021 has been a lot tougher for me than 2020 was. I’m still working from home and until last week, hadn’t seen a single member of my family this year until this week (we aren’t local) nor taken a single day off work (bar two days of illness when I got my first jab).

Most of my hobbies are social activities like theatre, cinema, galleries, live events, food, pub etc - most of which only just started to re-opened and I don’t trust them to be completely safe. I also had an August staycation booked, so when all restrictions were lifted in July I just kept going as I didn’t want covid (including the recovery time) to impact my trip.

So no, things are still very different for a lot of people.
                          Different yes but we have to adapt to the different. I cannot see my parents as often as I want to either because i have to balance having some sort of life myself and giving myself time to be sure that i havent caught it before i meet them again. So there are challenges for everyone at this point. Also I still have not gone back to work and it will be Sept 30th at the earliest.
                          Also, nothing is going to be completey safe. Covid is still in the community so you just have to protect yourself as best you can. Once youre fully vaccinated theres nothing else you can do at this point. I would have similar hobbies to you and I am doing outdoors as much as I can, cineman ive gone to once or twice. Pubs no cos I just think they are too busy and uncontrolled.
                          Glad you got your trip away anyway, and braved the train. First time I went on trains was a bit crazy too but i didnt pick it up either. So fingers crossed.

Comment

Different yes but we have to adapt to the different.
                            So that’s not normality

Comment

So that’s not normality
                              The new normal dear, the being positive and making the best of things that I can every day when I wake up in the morning normal. Humans have to adapt to situations. It is the desire to return overnight to the "old normal" instead of just doing what we can which has prolonged this pandemic far longer than it needed to be IMO.

Comment

I have to agree with you 100%. Even during the so-called lockdown - which wasn't a lockdown... I could do whatever I wanted... I could go swimming in a lake or sea (North Sea, Baltic Sea - you name it), I could meet my friends, I could play outside sports (the school where I teach has tennis courts for example and football fields etc), I've been working through all so-called school-lockdowns... the only thing I couldn't do was go to a bar or dance club or sth. When we wanted to experience some cinema-esque feeling, I had friends over or went to their places and we had beamers and screens in the garden.... shops were also only closed for like 6 weeks... so you could go here n there... one of the cities which are only 20 minutes away from where I lived was a so-called experiment-city-study-case where everything remained open, so if you had to go to an H&M or big shopping mall, I could do that there.

sports clubs opened rather quickly again here... it's like... idk where people are living and experience this doom-and-gloom-restricted-home-alone-life for 1,5 years... certainly not in good ole Germany.
                                I can imagine you swimming majestically in the blue waters and diving off rocks like a beautiful mermaid, the water gently lapping around your tight speedos

Comment

I was in Kings Cross a week ago and honestly, I’ve no idea how I managed to get out without catching Covid. It was a complete cattle market, about half of the people were wearing masks and social distancing was out the window completely.

I definitely don’t have it but after my staycation, I’m resigned to the fact I have to get back to some form of normality - I’m going to have to start going out and enjoying life and living in London, that means the underground and basically accepting that I’m going to catch it.

As Liza says, what good is sitting alone in your room?
                                  I've been in Central a few times now and I noticed that it isn't anywhere near to full capacity as I expected. I read the other day that only 15% of Central London office workers had returned to the office, coupled with Tube usage at 50% of peak levels.

Now until the end of the year is probably the best time to be out and about as those figures probably won't rise much. I am still wearing a mask though, I feel those areas especially around large tube stations are where you would potentially get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ludichris View Post

I've been in Central a few times now and I noticed that it isn't anywhere near to full capacity as I expected. I read the other day that only 15% of Central London office workers had returned to the office, coupled with Tube usage at 50% of peak levels.

Now until the end of the year is probably the best time to be out and about as those figures probably won't rise much. I am still wearing a mask though, I feel those areas especially around large tube stations are where you would potentially get it.
                                    To be fair I got an Uber to Kings across, driving right through the city at 5pm on a Friday... and there was zero traffic. I couldn’t believe it.

Comment

I am pretty sure we will lockdown as soon as the summer season ends
                                      jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

The way I called this out way back in January.
                                        Herd immunity is a real phenomenon... just you need vaccines that actually work in stopping transmission in order to achieve it. It happens with most (not all) other vaccines.
                                        jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post

I am pretty sure we will lockdown as soon as the summer season ends
                                          As if lockdowns ever solved any problem... It's basically a sign of capitulation if the system is about to or already has collapsed. German politicians already said that there won't be another lockdown. Not as if they never lied before though *cough* ...

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post

Herd immunity is a real phenomenon... just you need vaccines that actually work in stopping transmission in order to achieve it. It happens with most (not all) other vaccines.
                                            Not true. You just need enough people to have the right antibodies, which can be achieved from infection and recovery.

Comment

As if lockdowns ever solved any problem... It's basically a sign of capitulation if the system is about to or already has collapsed. German politicians already said that there won't be another lockdown. Not as if they never lied before though *cough* ...
                                              So you don’t think saving lives was a positive?

The world will shut down again if another lethal strain develops that the current vaccines offer no protection against. At least in the UK we have no choice but to lockdown if our health service reaches full capacity - there’ll be anarchy if patients were ever turned away from hospital.

Comment

• Crazy to me how everything that happened in the UK and Europe between March and August in 2020 is basically happening now in Australia in 2021, a full year and a half later. Delta really messed them up due to low vaccine rates.

Comment

Not true. You just need enough people to have the right antibodies, which can be achieved from infection and recovery.
                                                  That's true but I thought we were talking about vaccine-mediated herd immunity, otherwise the number of dead would be unacceptably high. Unless you are floating a new idea... to let the vaccinated get infected so we can have herd immunity...

Comment

Well, I was talking about Cyprus..

Comment

Working...
                                                    X