No announcement yet.

Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The German trashpaper "Bildzeitung" is more and more writing about that the virus was indeed man-made and escaped from a lab in China. If this is true... I will become a Trump-supporter. I'm fed up with this ish.
    My Chart

Comment

• I heard Lambda variant might be resistant to vaccines. Personally, news like this shouldn't be published before it's tested and proven to be correct, otherwise it creates unnecessary panic and fear. They also wrote many articles about the dangers of Delta variant yet two doses of Pfizer or Moderna seem to be protecting people just fine. These articles make people less enthusiastic to have the vaccine cause they think they won't work.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I honestly wouldn't rule out the laboratory theory either at this point, to be honest.

spiritboy : I remember how German virologist Streeck once said that the discussions about viral mutations should not be directed towards the mainstream but rather scientists only. The mainstream, without major scientific knowledge, would be totally overwhelmed by the information and instantly get in panic. The mainstream believes that 'mutation' is something worrisome, even though it's something totally normal and even characteristic for viruses.
        Regarding 'Lambda': It's spread in South America for months, but seems like a rather weak variant of Covid, so it's unlikely that it will spread like Alpha and Delta.
        Pro: freedom of speech
        Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
          I heard Lambda variant might be resistant to vaccines. Personally, news like this shouldn't be published before it's tested and proven to be correct, otherwise it creates unnecessary panic and fear. They also wrote many articles about the dangers of Delta variant yet two doses of Pfizer or Moderna seem to be protecting people just fine. These articles make people less enthusiastic to have the vaccine cause they think they won't work.
          Well the vaccines never promised anyone full protection. So if people think they cannot get it because of the vaccine they are just misinformed.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Good to see deaths staying relatively low in the UK apart from two or maybe three days which were higher. So far, this full reopening has gone pretty well, which is good to see. Nothing really drastic to report.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              I honestly wouldn't rule out the laboratory theory either at this point, to be honest.

spiritboy : I remember how German virologist Streeck once said that the discussions about viral mutations should not be directed towards the mainstream but rather scientists only. The mainstream, without major scientific knowledge, would be totally overwhelmed by the information and instantly get in panic. The mainstream believes that 'mutation' is something worrisome, even though it's something totally normal and even characteristic for viruses.
              Regarding 'Lambda': It's spread in South America for months, but seems like a rather weak variant of Covid, so it's unlikely that it will spread like Alpha and Delta.
              A weak variant of Covid lol.

South America has some of the highest death tolls in the world and some countries have been ravaged by this "weak variant" .

Brazil - 569,581 deaths
              Mexico - 248, 380 deaths
              Peru - 197, 393 deaths
              Columbia - 123, 580 deaths
              Argentina - 109, 105 deaths

So you claiming that it is weak is based on what exactly ?

Comment

• Meanwhile Germanys nationwide Covid 7-day incidence rises above key threshold of 35

What does this mean?

After meeting with the 16 state premiers last week, Chancellor Merkel announced that the countrys health pass scheme would be rolled out nationwide and 35 new Covid infections per 100,000 is the important benchmark for introducing it.

From August 23rd at the latest, districts with a 7-day incidence of 35 new Covid infections per 100,000 people or more will require a health pass (that is proof of vaccination, recovery from Covid or a negative Covid test) to access most indoor public spaces like cinemas, indoor dining or the gym and events.

Although a system requiring proof of vaccination/recovery or a negative test has been in place across most German states in some form since the relaxing of restrictions earlier this year, a nationwide official system had not yet been agreed.
                People who refuse to get vaccinated will be in for an expensive winter if the incidence stays over 35 as tests will no longer be free.

Theoretically one way around this for those who believe covid is no big deal would be to go out and catch it, recover and then be able to access services as a result of having recovered from it and therefore would not require a negative test.

From October 11th, those eligible for vaccination who choose not to get the jab will have to pay for their own Covid tests for access to activities. At the moment there are free rapid tests for everyone.

Via thelocal - https://www.thelocal.de/20210816/lat...reshold-of-35/

Comment

• Jacinda Ardern is not playing around.

“Delta is serious and we have every reason to believe this is likely to be the Delta variant,” Ardern said. “We need to respond to that, that is why we are going hard and early, but all the things we have done before have worked, and they will work again if people please follow the rules.”
                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Lockdown because of one case? How will NZ allow international traffic again if they panic because of one case? I fear that they'll end up in this endless lockdown situation like Australia :( .

Comment

Lockdown because of one case? How will NZ allow international traffic again if they panic because of one case? I fear that they'll end up in this endless lockdown situation like Australia :( .
                      Except they've been living for the past 6 months as free as birds.
                      They act fast, and they act strong to literally kill it in the nest and it's been working great so far.
                      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Do you think NZ will succeed with what Australia has tried to achieve?

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

Except they've been living for the past 6 months as free as birds.
                          They act fast, and they act strong to literally kill it in the nest and it's been working great so far.
                          Exactly. I find it bizarre that neither NZ nor Australia bothered with vaccination so far though. It's pretty clear that variants will come out more frequently than Taylor-McDonalds-Of-Pop-Swift albums. They can't expect to be in absolute isolation for many more years which is the only scenario their current model would work.
                          DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                          98 - OUT

Comment

• Vaccination rollout has been messy in Australia from what i hear from my aunt. She'll finally have her first dose of Astra Zeneca tomorrow cause other vaccines aren't available atm. She's close to 80, shouldn't they have Pfizer or Moderna shots to be more safe? She's a bit afraid with all the blood clot talk. And her grand daughter just gave birth so this lockdown will be good for the family cause none of them has to work and can care for the baby.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Why do you want an older person not to take AZ? In Germany, the latest update was that it's only supposed to go to older people as it's younger people that have that blood clot risk.

Comment

Vaccination rollout has been messy in Australia from what i hear from my aunt. She'll finally have her first dose of Astra Zeneca tomorrow cause other vaccines aren't available atm. She's close to 80, shouldn't they have Pfizer or Moderna shots to be more safe? She's a bit afraid with all the blood clot talk. And her grand daughter just gave birth so this lockdown will be good for the family cause none of them has to work and can care for the baby.
                                Speaking from Australia, its a complete sh!tshow on several fronts. NSW is really hurting atm after the State Government have let Delta get out of control by not Locking Down hard and early enough complacent after our last few scares we got lucky in containing, and are now relying on Vaccination rates getting up as a way forward out of this mess.

Although the problem there is Federal Government have botched the rollout by Not ordering enough Pfizer earlier, the PM going 'its not a race' given how we were keeping it right down for all this time and putting out spot outbreaks; placing their bets with AZ, which then turned out to have the Clot risks and continually shifting eligibility goalposts weighed up against the risk statistics and deaths leaving a lot of us with Vaccine hesitancy.

The Million doses or whatever a week of Pfizer is supposed to start in late September/October, and Moderna order has just been approved so that should start coming in too.

But with the cases rising and rising, some of us under 60's (Who have apparently more risk with Clots from AZ, and under 40's who still havent been given our phase green light priority for Pfizer; save for a few random targeted drives like the Year 12 Students and the recent 'Tradies' and construction Industry Worker day; don't know what to do, hold out for those doses, or give in to cries from some of 'stop being such a big baby, its an extremely small risk just look out for the symptoms' and get the AZ to at least build up some protection if this continues to get worse.

It started getting to me a little bit yesterday again, between that (a new daily state case record of 478 yesterday) and the stories coming outta Afghanistan it was a bit of a Downer News day had to pull myself away from for a bit for a pick me up.
                                Last edited by Affillate; Tue August 17, 2021, 14:38.
                                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Covid-19: Bradford hairdresser found guilty of lockdown breaches https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-58208420

This is an interesting story that has been going on for some time. A hairdresser that refused to close during lockdown has had 17k of charges dropped.
                                  1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

• ^ She's the Rita Ora of hairdressers.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

^ She's the Rita Ora of hairdressers.
                                      Rita probably went there on the QT

Comment

• I have a friend who is immunocompromised that I have been badgering for months to get the vaccine. He's been dragging his feet for no reason.

Yesterday, he was at the hospital for back pain, so I texted him he should get the vaccine there. He said "tomorrow" with one of those annoying laugh-cry emojis. So I looked up a Walgreen's near his place and said they have appointments starting at 10AM. And he wrote back and said actually I do need to get this prescription filled, and he finally got it. I'm so happy

Comment

• What is the situation in the US in terms of second dose? What is the time lag ?

Comment

• If he's immunocompromised, do the vaccines even work at all?

A couple of days ago, a co-worker of mine said that she accompanied her friend to the vaccination center, thought about getting vaccinated herself for a second, but then refused. Most of the people who openly told me that they don't want to get vaccinated mentioned as main reason that they don't trust the vaccine because it was developed so quickly.

Comment

• Second vaccine doses (excluding small states = less than 2 mio. inhabitants):
                                              1. UAE ~ 73%
                                              2. Singapor ~ 71.3% (+4.7%)
                                              3. Uruguay ~ 69.4%
                                              4. Chile ~ 68.2%
                                              5. Qatar ~ 66.3%
                                              6. Denmark ~ 66% (+4.9%)
                                              7. Belgium ~ 66%
                                              8. Portugal ~ 64.8%
                                              9. Canada ~ 64.2%
                                              10. Spain ~ 63.7%
                                              11. Israel ~ 62.6%
                                              12. Ireland ~ 62.4%
                                              13. Mongolia ~ 61.7%
                                              14. UK ~ 60%
                                              15. Netherlands ~ 59.8%
                                              16. Germany ~ 57.5%

Israel is out of the top 10 for the first time ever now. They used to be No. 1 with a big gap towards the rest of the world back in April. The next update will happen once Germany reaches 60%.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                What is the situation in the US in terms of second dose? What is the time lag ?
                                                He said his next shot was two weeks later.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

He said his next shot was two weeks later.
                                                  Oh that is good, not too long to wait.

Comment

8. Portugal ~ 64.8%
                                                    66% actually
                                                    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                                    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Working...
                                                    X