• Ofc it's already here...
    DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
    98 - OUT

Comment

• It really is everywhere already...
      I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
      I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• The new variant sounds like a Bjork album. Omicron or something.
        hopefully it's not vaccine resistant. My college canpus is already prepared to go back online after the Xmas break which is in two more weeks. I will have to scream until then I guess!
        " Princess of Pop Katy Perry "

Comment

• Covid: New Omicron variant not a disaster, says Sage scientist

The Omicron coronavirus variant is "not a disaster" and some people may be "hugely overstating the situation", a scientist advising the government says.

Omicron has been labelled "of concern" by the World Health Organization, and is causing alarm among some scientists.

But microbiologist Prof Calum Semple says vaccines are "still likely to protect you from severe disease".

Prof Semple does, however, support the new UK travel restrictions, saying they will allow more people to get jabbed.

Asked whether people should be fearful of the new variant, Prof Semple - who sits on the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies - told BBC Breakfast: "This is not a disaster, and the headlines from some of my colleagues saying 'this is horrendous' I think are hugely overstating the situation.

"Immunity from the vaccination is still likely to protect you from severe disease. You might get a snuffle or a headache or a filthy cold but your chance of coming into hospital or intensive care or sadly dying are greatly diminished by the vaccine and still will be going into the future."

So far, more than 50 million people in the UK have had at least one dose of a Covid vaccine. More than 42 million have had two doses while almost 17 million have had a third or booster jab.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59442141

Comment

• Yeah they said that about Delta too.

Comment

• New Covid variant is less worrying than delta, says Prof Chris Whitty

Chief Medical Officer urges calm in face of warnings around omicron mutation, saying concern should focus on ‘immediate threats’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-chris-whitty/

Comment

• Please let that be true. I don't want to go into 2020 all over again. Please.

Comment

• U.K. restrictions announced:
                  • Face masks back in shops and on public transport.
                  • Close contacts of those diagnosed with omicron required to self-isolate regardless of vaccination status.
                  • List of red countries increased, preventing travel from Southern Africa.
                  • Anyone arriving in the U.K. will be required to take a PCR test by the end of day 2 of their return and must self isolate until they have had a negative result.
                  Restrictions to be reviewed in 3 weeks.

The booster vaccine campaign to be ramped up, with the Health Secretary asking the JCVI to consider increasing the groups of those who are eligible to receive it.

To date, 50.9m people have had one jab - 46.3m of those have had a second jab and 16.8m have had a third, booster jab.

Comment

• The booster roll out has been sluggish AF.

No probs re: face masks, we did it for a year so can do it again.

Finally it looks like some learning from old mistakes has taken place re: people entering the country and isolating. Not that I think many will bother!

Comment

• Nice to hear some acknowledgement of the talented scientists in South Africa who identified this new variant quickly and efficiently, escalating it around the world as soon as they could - however, what this whole new variant proves is the principle of vaccine poverty in poorer, developing countries and just how important it was to try and keep vaccination rates at pace in those countries.

Just five African countries, less than 10% of Africa’s 54 nations, are projected to hit the year-end target of fully vaccinating 40% of their people, unless efforts to accelerate the pace take off. This comes as the Region grapples to meet rising demand for essential vaccination commodities, such as syringes.

However, at the current pace, Africa still faces a 275 million shortfall of COVID-19 vaccines against the year-end target of fully vaccinating 40% of its people.

Africa has fully vaccinated 77 million people, just 6% of its population. In comparison, over 70% of high-income countries have already vaccinated more than 40% of their people.
                      With booster efforts now ramping up, that hopefully doesn’t hinder the efforts to vaccinate developing countries further.

Comment

• Two cases of Omicron discovered in the UK already. Yikes.

Comment

• The variant hysteria is typical of the media, cos they just don’t want this story to die anytime soon.

We should just let the scientists do their thing and hope for the best and wait and see rather than losing our heads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                            The variant hysteria is typical of the media, cos they just don’t want this story to die anytime soon.

We should just let the scientists do their thing and hope for the best and wait and see rather than losing our heads.
                            100% agree. The media is influenced by profits and clicks generate profit and hysteria just opens the flood gates.

So as long as I do me and you do you meaning getting the vax; wearing a mask; and maintaining all other protocols, we should be good.
                            My legacy is that I stayed on course… from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me. — Tina Turner

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                              The variant hysteria is typical of the media, cos they just don’t want this story to die anytime soon.

All the information being reported is coming directly from the WHO. As for hoping for the best, that's rather foolish. Taking precautions early is key and the only prudent thing to do at this time. We all saw what happened when the delta variant was allowed to take hold for a full month before anything was done.

Comment

• I don’t mean the powers that be should hope for the best, I mean Joe Public - what can we do about any of it apart from try and protect ourselves and others in the way we have been? There’s no point in becoming prophets of doom, because it could be fine. I’ve already seen articles saying the vaccine should protect us from this variant but of course they’re being smothered by the hysteria.

Comment

• I think both possibilities need to be examined and until we know for sure it's better to be cautious. Especially at this time of the year with so much movement of people imminent.

Comment

• We can either hope for the best or we can be pessimistic Sally. I’m hoping for the best tbh.
                                    1 Jack Wins |2 Holy Molly |3 Agnes |4 Hailee Steinfeld |5 SG Lewis

Comment

• Why do anti-vaxxers think it's okay that they come first when they end up in hospital?
                                      Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• The truth is that this is happening because of vaccine inequality If this continues, by the end of 2030 we may have 30 variants and yet only developed countries with the most vaccines. This is ridiculous. Most of the world could have been vaccinated by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpguy View Post
                                          The truth is that this is happening because of vaccine inequality If this continues, by the end of 2030 we may have 30 variants and yet only developed countries with the most vaccines. This is ridiculous. Most of the world could have been vaccinated by now.
                                          The problem is that anti-vaxxers think there right to choose is more important.
                                          Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                            Why do anti-vaxxers think it's okay that they come first when they end up in hospital?
                                            Karen and Ken have historically always thought that they come first, this is nothing new.

Comment

• *sighs*

I’m so over this sh*t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                *sighs*

I’m so over this sh*t.
                                                What does "state of emergency" mean in New York ?

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

What does "state of emergency" mean in New York ?
                                                  Basically they believe that a huge threat or disaster is imminent here and are preparing for it. They’re basically telling us to prepare for it too, like an ominous threat around the corner. No extra restrictions yet but depending on how the next few weeks pan out, we could see those imposed as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                    Basically they believe that a huge threat or disaster is imminent here and are preparing for it. They’re basically telling us to prepare for it too, like an ominous threat around the corner. No extra restrictions yet but depending on how the next few weeks pan out, we could see those imposed as well.
                                                    Ah ok. Sounds so dramatic but its pretty much what eveyone this side of the world is doing to at the moment. I think everyone is just being cautious because this has the potential to be a disaster, but could also be nothing too different to what we are dealing with at the moment. But you know if it does turn out to be bad and nothing is done, the first to be blamed will be the governements. They did nothing. They let this happen ! Every government got this backlash after Delta so i dont blame them for being ahead of things this time. Then when they do something to anticipate it its fearmongering.
                                                    They can never win really.
                                                    Last edited by InFamous; Sat November 27, 2021, 22:38.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X