Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VE Day: Europe marks 75th anniversary of end of WW2

VE Day: UK marking 75th anniversary of end of WW2 in Europe

Extracts of Winston Churchill's VE Day speech have been broadcast to the nation, as part of the commemorations for the 75th anniversary.

Britain's wartime leader spoke about a "brief period of rejoicing" amid "toils and efforts" in the replayed speech.

Earlier, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall led a two-minute silence, and later the Queen will address a nation still in lockdown.

Boris Johnson expressed "eternal" gratitude to the wartime generation.

Victory in Europe Day marks the day in 1945 when Britain and its allies accepted the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany, bringing the war in Europe to an end.

This year's celebration is limited as the lockdown prompted by the coronavirus pandemic means there will be no large-scale street parties or parades.

But at 15:00 BST, the same time that Winston Churchill addressed the nation on 8 May 1945, BBC One broadcast his words: "We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing, but let us not forget for a moment the toils and efforts that lie ahead."

The commemorations began with a flypast over London by the Royal Air Force display team the Red Arrows, while RAF Typhoon jets flew over Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast.

Then, a piper played at the war memorial near Balmoral, where Prince Charles and Camilla laid flowers and led the country in silent remembrance.

Left at the memorial with Camilla's bouquet was a message paying tribute to her father, Major Bruce Shand - who served with the 12th Royal Lancers during the war - and his regiment "who fought so bravely to give us peace".

A gun salute from Edinburgh Castle marked the beginning and end of the silence, but crowds were absent from many war memorials as people reflected at home.

Later, although large street parties were out of the question, some still managed to get out the bunting for a socially distanced celebration.

'One supreme effort'

In a message, Mr Johnson referred to the virus outbreak, saying it "demands the same spirit of national endeavour" as shown during wartime.

"We can't hold the parades and street celebrations we enjoyed in the past, but all of us who were born since 1945 are acutely conscious that we owe everything we most value to the generation who won the Second World War," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52577473
    The Queen is giving a VE Day speech at 9pm (in a few mins), which is the same time as King George did the same 75 years ago.

I've been talking to my family today about my Great Grandad, who isn't with us anymore, but who faught gallantly in WW2 - he faught in many battles but I didn't know until today that he was in the battle of Berlin in 1945. He also refused all of his war medals as he felt that they belonged to those who'd lost their lives. He was an amazing man.

An important day to commemorate.

I hope the 8th or 9th of May becomes a national holiday here in Germany.
    My Chart

Comment

A day to remember
      Strangely and shamefully fascism/nazism is rising again across the Europe
      (my country - Croatia, is not exception )
      little bit worried for the future

Comment

Originally posted by navi View Post
        A day to remember
        Strangely and shamefully fascism/nazism is rising again across the Europe
        (my country - Croatia, is not exception )
        little bit worried for the future
        The thing is... many dumb Germans find it offensive nowadays when the former allies celebrate the victory over Germany... neglecting the fact that under Nazi rule, 85% of all current Nazis would have been persecuted by the system they try to re-establish. Toothless, jobless and obese alcoholics... weren't the kind of "race" the Nazis tried to breed.
        My Chart

Comment

Working...
        X