Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rihanna becomes one of the UK's richest music stars

Rihanna rockets on to Sunday Times Rich List

Rihanna has made her debut appearance on The Sunday Times Rich List, with an estimated fortune of £468 million.

The Bajan pop star, who now resides in London, overtakes Sirs Elton John and Mick Jagger to claim third place on the list of Britain's richest musicians.

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Paul McCartney are joint first on the list, with fortunes of £800m apiece.

Rihanna's earnings are largely due to the Fenty Beauty cosmetics brand, where her reported 15% stake is worth £351m.

"She somewhat caught us by surprise," says Robert Watts, who compiles The Sunday Times' annual list.

"Very few people knew she was living in the UK until last summer. Now she's well placed to be the first musician to reach billionaire status in the UK," he tells the BBC.

Coronavirus impact

Rihanna, who turned 32 in February, is a youthful exception amongst Britain's richest musicians, most of whom found fame in the 1960s and 70s.

Amongst the top 40 highest-earners, only Ed Sheeran and Adele are younger, with fortunes of £200m and £150m respectively.

Further down the list, there are new entries for the next generation of pop stars, with Dua Lipa, 24, and George Ezra, 26, each said to be worth £16m.

Richest Musicians in Britain
    1= Lord Lloyd-Webber £800m Down £20m
    1= Sir Paul McCartney £800m Up £50m
    3 Rihanna £468m New
    4 Sir Elton John £360m Up £40m
    5 Sir Mick Jagger £285m Up £10m
    6= Olivia and Dhani Harrison £270m Up £20m
    6= Keith Richards £270m Up £10m
    8 Sir Ringo Starr £260m Up £20m
    9 Michael Flatley £206m Up £2m
    10= Ed Sheeran £200m Up £40m
    10= Sir Rod Stewart £200m Up £10m
    10= Sting £200m No change
    Theatre impresario Lord Lloyd-Webber, 72, is the only star on the list to see his valuation fall, with Watts calculating that the Covid-19 shutdown of theatres in the West End and Broadway has already wiped £20m off his fortune.

Sir Paul, by contrast, receives a £50m boost to his finances, thanks to a lucrative world tour and his first children's book Hey Grandude!, which topped the New York Times' best-seller list last year.

Sir Elton's farewell tour also added £40m to his fortune, putting him in fourth place; while Rolling Stone Sir Mick comes fifth with £285m.

Ed Sheeran topped the young musicians (aged 30 or under) list, adding £40m to his overall wealth after completing a 255-date world tour last August. Harry Styles took second place, with a fortune of £63m.

Eagle-eyed readers might spot that U2 have dropped off the Sunday Times' rankings entirely, despite taking third place last year with earnings of £583m.

Their absence is solely due to coronavirus - as the pandemic has delayed the publication of the paper's Irish Rich List. When those figures are revealed later this year, the band is likely to knock Rihanna down to fourth place.

Nonetheless, Watts says that Rihanna's presence is indicative of a "seismic change" in the make-up of the main Rich List which, since 1989, had been identifying the 1,000 wealthiest individuals or families living in the UK.

"The days when it was dominated by inherited wealth, the landed gentry and mass of largely white, middle-aged and elderly men, are changing," says Watts.

"For example, we've seen a big rise in the number of Asian entrepreneurs and in the number of self-made people.

"Rihanna is, I think, a very good example of someone who's come from a pretty tough upbringing in Barbados and who has a hunger and a determination to work, work work... which, I think, is one of her songs, isn't it?" (It is).

Although Rihanna made her name in music, she hasn't released an album since 2016's Anti, instead concentrating on her fashion empire.

Fenty Beauty launched in September 2017, and was designed to cater to a wider range of skin types and tones than typical cosmetic brands.

Thanks to the star's endorsement, and her 82 million Instagram followers, it was an immediate success, racking up sales of £78m in its first few weeks. The company is now valued at $3bn (£2.4bn).

Rihanna also has a lingerie line, Savage X Fenty, and continues to receive royalties from hit songs like SOS, Umbrella and Only Girl In The World.

Her £468m fortune makes her the richest female musician not just in the UK, but the world - ahead of Madonna (£462m), Celine Dion (£365m) and Beyoncé (£325m).

Richest musicians under 30
    1 Ed Sheeran £200m Up £40m
    2 Harry Styles £63m Up £5m
    3 Niall Horan £50m Up £1m
    4 Little Mix £48m Up £3m
    5 Louis Tomlinson £45m Up £1m
    6 Liam Payne £44m Up £2m
    7 Zayn Malik £36m No change
    8 Sam Smith £33m Up £1m
    9= Rita Ora £20m Up £2m
    9= Stormzy £20m Up £4m
    11= George Ezra £16m New
    11= Dua Lipa £16m New
    Watts notes that musicians' wealth "held up better than many other ultra-high net worth individuals" over the last 12 months, but says the impact of cancelled tours could impact next year's list.

"Their fortunes have held up a little better this year because they're coming off the back of big tours and their valuation is not affected by a plunging stock market," he says.

"But next year I would expect, for a lot of these musicians, their wealth to flatline - and some of them may even have to dip into their reserves."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52637811

I'm not a woman, so I can't judge, but is her make up like really that massively popular?
    Don't need hindsight
    I'll make my emotions clear
    And then disappear
    With one strike
    (All Saints)

Comment

Misleading title - 'music' star

Had no idea she lived in London, presumed LA.
      THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

It sends me that they are trying to come up with a list with those precise numbers. Did Riri give them her account statements? 468m, not one Penny more!!! My bet is that she is even richer than that, as are probably half of the celebrities listed on forbes anyway. Looking at that list the Queen better name her SIR Robyn Rihanna fenty soon.
        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Lloyd Webber probably fell because of how awful Cats was.

Comment

Rihanna is truly an empire.

Comment

It's nice that Rihanna managed to use her status in her business ventures, the land where so many showbiz/celebrities had failed before
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                It's nice that Rihanna managed to use her status in her business ventures, the land where so many showbiz/celebrities had failed before
                Not just nice, but hella smart. We all know how fickle showbiz is... I commend any celebitry that successfully establishes a business. Those are the ones who win in the long run.

Comment

Lol the girl saw more money selling products in a couple years than she ever saw releasing 8 albums and like 200 singles over a decade.

.... no wonder why she doesn’t care about a music career anymore
                  Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                    I'm not a woman, so I can't judge, but is her make up like really that massively popular?
                    Yes, her Fenty line sells like hotcakes.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                      It sends me that they are trying to come up with a list with those precise numbers. Did Riri give them her account statements? 468m, not one Penny more!!! My bet is that she is even richer than that, as are probably half of the celebrities listed on forbes anyway. Looking at that list the Queen better name her SIR Robyn Rihanna fenty soon.
                      There's definitely some truth in this.

For e.g. in the Canadian equivalent of this (the Canadian Rich List), Celine was ranked as the 100th richest Canadian with $750m in 2013, yet Forbes 5-6 years later say she's worth $365m?! Just makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post

There's definitely some truth in this.

For e.g. in the Canadian equivalent of this (the Canadian Rich List), Celine was ranked as the 100th richest Canadian with $750m in 2013, yet Forbes 5-6 years later say she's worth $365m?! Just makes no sense.
                        She must have spent most of her Titanic Song coins
                        COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post

Not just nice, but hella smart. We all know how fickle showbiz is... I commend any celebitry that successfully establishes a business. Those are the ones who win in the long run.
                          I can only guess but she must have a good team working with her.

Comment

Originally posted by aRat View Post

those shady estimations of how much one is worth in "assets"...if the whole market crumbles though

Comment

Originally posted by aRat View Post

Queen was worth $721m - probably a billion by now...
                              101 Celine Dion $721,446,865
                              https://www.canadianbusiness.com/lis...-2014-ranking/

That said, 'grats to Rihanna - massive success.

Comment

Happy for her, though the bigger her beauty empire becomes, the less incentivised she'll be to give us R9.
                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Richest musicians who haven't recorded in years

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                    Happy for her, though the bigger her beauty empire becomes, the less incentivised she'll be to give us R9.
                                    We have zero clue about 'R9', so there are two ways: 1. She'll release an awesome album that gets everyone talking about (something like 'Lemonade). 2. She'll release a collection of singles basically (something like 'Phoenix').
                                    Hopefully it will be the former...

I don't use make up and even if I did, I wouldn't use pricey one by celebrities, so I can't contribute much to it.
                                    Don't need hindsight
                                    I'll make my emotions clear
                                    And then disappear
                                    With one strike
                                    (All Saints)

Comment

We dont really know how much celebrities (singers, reality show stars) make from their makeup brands. They’re really just putting their name on top of some other companies’ efforts from logistics to marketing to manufacturing to r&d and so on. It’s most likely an over glorified endorsement deal with a marketing company to make it look she owns it. They’re different from say Estee Lauder who built and ran a cosmetics business from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyVsSpy View Post
                                        We dont really know how much celebrities (singers, reality show stars) make from their makeup brands. They’re really just putting their name on top of some other companies’ efforts from logistics to marketing to manufacturing to r&d and so on. It’s most likely an over glorified endorsement deal with a marketing company to make it look she owns it. They’re different from say Estee Lauder who built and ran a cosmetics business from scratch.
                                        That's weird logic to me. So we don't know what they make (even though with a little effort you could probably obtain the company's annual report, which not only gives you the turnover and operating income, but also the shareholders and their shares), but we DO know how involved every single celebrity is in the actual business (even though we have no access to the inner workings and therefore no info about who joins what kind of meetings and who partakes in which deecisions?) How does that work?

Comment

That's weird logic to me. So we don't know what they make (even though with a little effort you could probably obtain the company's annual report, which not only gives you the turnover and operating income, but also the shareholders and their shares), but we DO know how involved every single celebrity is in the actual business (even though we have no access to the inner workings and therefore no info about who joins what kind of meetings and who partakes in which deecisions?) How does that work?
                                          You could get Fenty Beauty’s financial report? Would be interesting to see

Comment

Check out what this company actually does and how it works with famous names: https://kendobrands.com

Comment

You could get Fenty Beauty’s financial report? Would be interesting to see
                                              I didn't bother, because I'm not interested. Go look for it, if you want.

Besides, I was talking in general. My point was that it is weird of you to state that we know nothing about the earnings, but at the same time claim to know that celebrities are never actually involved in the companies - when the former is actually (to some extent) researchable, while the latter is not (unless you manage to get a job in that company). This wasn't me defending Rihanna or claiming to know what she does or doesn't do. It was your blanket statement that I commented on. Of course she (or other celebrities for that matter) cannot be compared to someone like Esteé Lauder, but why would you compare someone who started out as an entrepreneur with someone who started out
                                              as a singer/actor/whatever? Different career paths. That doesn't mean that one can't be a businesswoman/-man.

Comment

I didn't bother, because I'm not interested. Go look for it, if you want.

Besides, I was talking in general. My point was that it is weird of you to state that we know nothing about the earnings, but at the same time claim to know that celebrities are never actually involved in the companies - when the former is actually (to some extent) researchable, while the latter is not (unless you manage to get a job in that company). This wasn't me defending Rihanna or claiming to know what she does or doesn't do. It was your blanket statement that I commented on. Of course she (or other celebrities for that matter) cannot be compared to someone like Esteé Lauder, but why would you compare someone who started out as an entrepreneur with someone who started out
                                                as a singer/actor/whatever? Different career paths. That doesn't mean that one can't be a businesswoman/-man.
                                                I said what i said because it’s logical and perfectly reasonable. People like rihanna are singers/entertainers first and it is not unreasonable to think that in her case, or any other famous singer/actor/reality show star’s, a large chunk of their time and energy is spent on singing, press activities, tv shoots, and so on. Running a huge and successful business is a totally different ballgame and would require large sacrifices if she were really in it. I don’t fall for the ‘so and so is kween of doing everything’ hype. Besides it’s already documented that kendobrands is the actual muscle and brains behind fenty beauty It is a strategically good deal for both of them. But how much is her input and what are the exact terms of the deal? We don’t really know but she has a very strong personal brand that helps sell, that we can say. They dont need to spell the financials out to you or anyone - fenty isn’t a publicly traded company although owner LVMH is. And the Media can only speculate and make all sorts of lists to generate clicks.

Anyway, I ever once said people can’t change careers and become successful business people if they put their efforts in it.

Comment

I said what i said because it’s logical and perfectly reasonable. People like rihanna are singers/entertainers first and it is not unreasonable to think that in her case, or any other famous singer/actor/reality show star’s, a large chunk of their time and energy is spent on singing, press activities, tv shoots, and so on. Running a huge and successful business is a totally different ballgame and would require large sacrifices if she were really in it. I don’t fall for the ‘so and so is kween of doing everything’ hype. Besides it’s already documented that kendobrands is the actual muscle and brains behind fenty beauty It is a strategically good deal for both of them. But how much is her input and what are the exact terms of the deal? We don’t really know but she has a very strong personal brand that helps sell, that we can say. They dont need to spell the financials out to you or anyone - fenty isn’t a publicly traded company although owner LVMH is. And the Media can only speculate and make all sorts of lists to generate clicks.

Anyway, I ever once said people can’t change careers and become successful business people if they put their efforts in it.
                                                  Once again: I wasn't talking about Rihanna or Fenty Beauty, I was talking in general (because your original statement also was a general, blanket statement). I thought my wording was pretty clear about that, but maybe not...?
                                                  My points were:
                                                  1) you can't simply assume that "celebrity =/= no businessperson".
                                                  2) it is definitely easier to research the earnings than the actual involvement.

If the whole point you wanted to make was that Rihanna isn't very involved in Fenty Beauty because of Kendo Brands, then fine. You're probably right.

This made me chuckle, though:
                                                  in her case, or any other famous singer/actor/reality show star’s, a large chunk of their time and energy is spent on singing, press activities, tv shoots, and so on.
                                                  because for YEARS now her fans are complaining about her not being invested in music anymore and spending all her time on her fashion and make-up brands.

Comment

She is a british citizen too?

Comment

it's a shame she doesn't make music anymore
                                                      thank u, next

Comment

The biggest star of our generation.

Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Ari Lennox

Comment

Working...
                                                        X