X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minneapolis + Black Lives Matter

#ukmixsowhite

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52844192

I accidentally saw the George Floyd video and it was really distressing. The history of police brutality is so disgusting and I hope things change with these protests. It’s good to see so many celebrities using their platforms and hopefully this’ll help bring awareness and tackle systemic and structural racism.

maybe I need some educating but I worry that all these protests are going to be spread coronavirus though?
    Fiat 500

Comment

Videos like the one with George Floyd make me nauseous. It's really good to see this story and other stories getting so much attention, to spread awareness about this. This has to stop.

Comment

This had to stop decades ago. Every day there are black people being treated as if they are not human, being harrassed and killed in the US. It's disgusting.
        I totally get the outrage and protests.

And true those protesters put themselves at risk by protesting during this corona crisis, but they don't have an alternative anymore. All this hate and violence has to be put to a stop with or without a virus going around. Because for a lot of black people there is a higher risk they die because of some crazy racist hate act than because of corona or any other virus.

Comment

I'm just at loss for words.
          I think something is happening tho in America.
          But will the movement really take off and LEAD to something better, idk. I sure hope so.
          But it's not just racist cops.
          The whole system is corrupt and racism deep-rooted.
          If I can help any way, I certainly will.
          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

This is such an important issue, particularly in the US where racism is rife (and enabled by the Constitution).

Without making this solely about politics, no President has ever tackled this is in the way it needs to be tackled and I think it’s because they don’t know how. The US system is so convoluted, with states calling any intervention federal overreach and states then not tackling the issue properly themselves.

In the name of the First Amendment, you can pretty much say anything you want - it’s insanity, some of the comments made in the name of this Amendment would be considered hate crimes in most other countries with developed social systems.

Comment

Wow - in 2 days, it’s become one of the most liked Tweets in history but also, one of the most prolific and important ones.

Comment

It is a very important issue, but also one that is present for ages now and is not improving. So it is unlikely to improve much even now. It is a matter of mentalities and fear and that won't change by demonstrations. However, people should protest so they can have a better tomorrow for the next generations.

Other than that, this is an American matter. Racism is international and present in every country of the world but it presents itself in different ways. So I'd advise my friends to focus on their local forms of racism instead of protesting about something that is happening in a land they might never set foot on.
                  jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post
                    Other than that, this is an American matter. Racism is international and present in every country of the world but it presents itself in different ways. So I'd advise my friends to focus on their local forms of racism instead of protesting about something that is happening in a land they might never set foot on.
                    This is an interesting point - I get what you mean but I'm not sure I agree. I make presumptions that when you refer to protests by those in other countries, you're talking about social media postings and maybe conversations had with friends/family.

Way I see it is that we live in an increasingly globalised world, with social media uniting us in ways not seen before - every major politician communicates through Twitter and Facebook and these platforms have made these politicians accountable in ways they've not been before to larger audiences than politicians in decades gone by. It's helpful to have international attention on these issues.

I think also the local action that you call for is often on the back of condemnation given and consensus reached through social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook and very often, local action is spurred on and accelerated by knowing that you have the support of people around the world.

Comment

I knew some people would run in here and try to downplay what's happening. Sure, racism exists everywhere and no form of racism is okay. But that doesn't mean that some forms of racism aren't worse than others. It doesn't mean that we should just look away and 'focus on local forms of racism' when we see an especially disgusting and brutal form of racism across the Atlantic.

Dark-skinned Europeans being asked 'where are you really from?' = racism. Job market discrimination against people with foreign-sounding names = racism. Black people being murdered by the police = racism. Being murdered by the state ≠ having to deal with annoying questions and not getting that job you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post

This is an interesting point - I get what you mean but I'm not sure I agree. I make presumptions that when you refer to protests by those in other countries, you're talking about social media postings and maybe conversations had with friends/family.

Way I see it is that we live in an increasingly globalised world, with social media uniting us in ways not seen before - every major politician communicates through Twitter and Facebook and these platforms have made these politicians accountable in ways they've not been before to larger audiences than politicians in decades gone by. It's helpful to have international attention on these issues.

I think also the local action that you call for is often on the back of condemnation given and consensus reached through social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook and very often, local action is spurred on and accelerated by knowing that you have the support of people around the world.
                        No, actually I have something very specific in mind...

You are right about living in a globalised world but that doesn't always work in favor of being aware of your environment in a true and a meaningful way, it is more usually working in a way that some stories get all the attention (sometimes rightly so, sometimes not so rightly so) while others getting buried, especially local news that are of no interest to the global audience.

I wrote what I wrote because over here, since the coronavirus quarantine, the refugee camps were quarantined and the people in there got locked in without any right for a visit "for their own protection" apparently. And while the quarantine was mostly lifted last week, the measures at the refugee camps are continuing as before. This is on top of my country refusing to save any refugee boat and pushing them all back, again with the coronavirus excuse at play.

So while plenty of people here are writing against such policies in the local media, I was shocked yesterday to actually see a protest by African migrants in the centre of my town but not about what is happening here but about what is happening in America. And I found this kind of disturbing because they were protesting about something they cannot influence at all, something that doesn't affect their lives at all while ignoring things that they should be protesting about, just because that story gets all the attention in the media they are watching. And that's kinda sad and counterproductive
                        Last edited by jio; Sun May 31st, 2020, 15:18.

Comment

I am seeing a couple of my friends saying they understand the protests but not the violence, and it makes me so angry.

They rush to condemn the looting, but not the police brutality. That right there should make them understand their own question.

Comment

The US is the perfect breeding ground for the proliferation of racism because you have urban cities with these incredibly diverse populations that seem, to me, to largely stay within their own racial groups. So when you're surrounded by a community of people that look like you and there's no genuine integration for you to really learn about and connect with people outside of your own racial group, those deeply harmful racial stereotypes that have been handed down from one generation to another continue their legacy, without the illumination of integration to shed light on how misguided and incorrect they are, and manifest in some cruel and vicious ways. The rural communities are even worse.

Any sense that we're making real headway is quickly snuffed when we see video evidence of these despicable murders committed by Caucasian law enforcement officers against Black men, and reconcile them with the slap-on-the-wrist punitive sentences they get. And this new generation that pretends to be 'woke' are just better at maintaining the façade than their parents' generations were...but that fails the litmus test when held up against moderate scrutiny.

Frustration, incensed anger and indignation, then weariness when you realise that you're up against a system that refuses to admit what it is and acknowledge any need to change.
                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

As everything, it is a matter of education and it would take generations to change if ever.

Personally I think that racism is the natural state of man (sad but true) and it takes real effort and awareness to get over it. It also takes to live in a diverse society, most people in the world don't and racism is never an issue for them.

The Floyd case however is more than racism, it is institutional racism resulting to murder which takes it to a whole different level. It is also not an isolated incident, which makes all the protests totally right. That said, such a mentality was built over decades and it will take decades to "unbuild it"- if there is a will.

As far as other countries are concerned, we can start by not having the "this is not happening here" mentality. Racism can and is happening everywhere. We are building walls in Europe too, we are drowning people in the med (people who we don't accept because they are different than us), we had the extreme right on the rise until recently (and we will have it again). Sure, we don't have police killing our own citizens based on looks but again, are we immune from racism? Are we where we should be?

And lastly, I know that JSparksFan meant well but the idea of assimilation that he is promoting (he did accuse the diversity in america where people stay within their racial groups) is dangerous in itself because it seems to suggest that staying within your own ethnic group is something to frown upon. We don't fight racism by making everyone the same so nobody gets offended by what is perceived as different. We fight racism by learning to be tolerant, by having the knowledge and education to know that when that little voice inside of us sends us the first hint of negativity for someone just because he/she is different to shut it down and move on. At least that's what I believe.

Comment

cheapthrills
                                Hey love. I do have to say this about the looting. The media is and will spin it as Black people are looting like they always do. But I am seeing many non-Black people having a bit too much fun destroying Black neighborhoods. There are undercover cops looting. As someone who was born and raised in Detroit, my city has NEVER recovered since the looting and businesses never returned. Things only got worse. And people will say "Blacks destroyed their own neighborhoods."
                                -That scares me!

Wayne
                                Racism against Blacks is major issue in US.
                                Racism is a European mindset firstly. Europe, for the last 100 years has pretended that they've played no role in anything and that frustrates me to the core. Blood diamonds and colonizing goes back to Europe. Just in the 1980s, Europeans went to South Africa. They killed and took over neighborhoods. Then they wanted a "no Blacks" policy in AFRICA. Blacks in South Africa have started to get revenge by taking over the lands that was stolen from them but the media spins it as "Blacks are killing farmers." Billions of dollars in Diamonds and other resources all go back to Europeans. Racism and Brutality might not seem like an issue in Europe, but that is due to the low media coverage. As a world traveler, I have been advised by many on what European countries I should not visit due to the racism. I have issues, specifically with that old ass Queen and her family that I can speak about in another post, but just know, I can read that old ass demon for filth and I will if anyone asks.

Now there are Chinese moving into African countries, just like the Europeans and they are creating "no Blacks Allowed" neighborhoods. Speaking of the Chinese, when the media was speaking on the racism the Asian Americans were facing, no one was reporting on how the Chinese were treating Blacks in China. Blacks were being kicked out of their homes, not welcomed into certain stores, and fired from their jobs. No one speaks on that.

In the Latin American countries, racism towards those of predominantly African heritage is probably at its highest. Afro-Latinos are treated like straight up s**** in Latin America. Not just from family experiences, but simply conversations and studies. There are videos that will show you just how badly Afro Latinos are being treated.

Racism against Blacks is a GLOBAL ISSUE period.
                                Diva!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                                  [Wayne
                                  Racism against Blacks is major issue in US.
                                  Racism is a European mindset firstly. Europe, for the last 100 years has pretended that they've played no role in anything and that frustrates me to the core. Blood diamonds and colonizing goes back to Europe. Just in the 1980s, Europeans went to South Africa. They killed and took over neighborhoods. Then they wanted a "no Blacks" policy in AFRICA. Blacks in South Africa have started to get revenge by taking over the lands that was stolen from them but the media spins it as "Blacks are killing farmers." Billions of dollars in Diamonds and other resources all go back to Europeans. Racism and Brutality might not seem like an issue in Europe, but that is due to the low media coverage. As a world traveler, I have been advised by many on what European countries I should not visit due to the racism. I have issues, specifically with that old ass Queen and her family that I can speak about in another post, but just know, I can read that old ass demon for filth and I will if anyone asks.

Now there are Chinese moving into African countries, just like the Europeans and they are creating "no Blacks Allowed" neighborhoods. Speaking of the Chinese, when the media was speaking on the racism the Asian Americans were facing, no one was reporting on how the Chinese were treating Blacks in China. Blacks were being kicked out of their homes, not welcomed into certain stores, and fired from their jobs. No one speaks on that.

In the Latin American countries, racism towards those of predominantly African heritage is probably at its highest. Afro-Latinos are treated like straight up s**** in Latin America. Not just from family experiences, but simply conversations and studies. There are videos that will show you just how badly Afro Latinos are being treated.

Racism against Blacks is a GLOBAL ISSUE period.
                                  I think you're taking my post out of context TIfan - I didn't say "Racism against Blacks is major issue in US."

Racism is absolutely a global problem and to deny that would be ludicrous - but the difference between the US and most developed countries and the reason I called the US out is that in the US, you can make a racist comment and hide behind the First Amendment and the legal system can't touch you. Further, due to the fact that your country has 50 states, each with a different Governor and each with a different set of state laws that go back decades, your federal government is unable to legislate a national approach to this issue without being accused of federal overreach and facing 50 different legal battles from Governors who are more preoccupied with preserving and protecting their so-called states' rights.

The roots of racism are important to understand, and they should never be forgotten - my country has a terrible past in this space, with the development of the Colonies and the so-called "British Empire" over a 300 year period which resulted in the subjugation of black people and other ethnic minorities over hundreds of years. And we still have significant issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post

I think you're taking my post out of context TIfan - I didn't say "Racism against Blacks is major issue in US."

Racism is absolutely a global problem and to deny that would be ludicrous - but the difference between the US and most developed countries and the reason I called the US out is that in the US, you can make a racist comment and hide behind the First Amendment and the legal system can't touch you. Further, due to the fact that your country has 50 states, each with a different Governor and each with a different set of state laws that go back decades, your federal government is unable to legislate a national approach to this issue without being accused of federal overreach and facing 50 different legal battles from Governors who are more preoccupied with preserving and protecting their so-called states' rights.

The roots of racism are important to understand, and they should never be forgotten - my country has a terrible past in this space, with the development of the Colonies and the so-called "British Empire" over a 300 year period which resulted in the subjugation of black people and other ethnic minorities over hundreds of years. And we still have significant issues.
                                    I apologize for misunderstanding you!
                                    Diva!!!

Comment

This has been very difficult to watch. I am a black immigrant to the US so this hits very close to home for me. I definitely support the protests AND the riots that are taking place across the US at the moment. Until black lives matter, all lives do not matter.

Comment

I have to admit, I've been getting really angry seeing so many 'all lives matter' comments on Facebook. I've been arguing with people all day about it.

The fact is peaceful protests haven't worked. So what other option is there?

I mean one of the comments I read was from a store owner who's premises was on fire and he said something along the lines of 'let it burn if it bring justice'.
                                        Love you like a love song!

Comment

Peaceful protests didn't bring any change so riots are the only next logical step. However I think it will still take a lot of time until something fundamentally changes and things really get better coz at the moment seeing right wing nut job Tr*mp at power and all his supporters being more powerful and influential than ever doesn't seem really promising for any progress. Also the reaction to these riots form the state has been absolutely terrible and it seems like there is zero will to change anything.

It's really a terrible tragedy that the police in America seems to be like a bunch of low life criminals supported and protected by the state. They are supposed to protect and make you feel secure yet black people have to fear for their lives every time they encounter them even if it it for simple things like checking your driving documents.

COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

The people who are saying 'all lives matter,' don't get the point, they make me angry too.

Comment

This story is awful.

Just donated some money to the below fund me which will go directly to his family.

Please donate if you can:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgeflo...pd+share-sheet
                                              My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
                                                I have to admit, I've been getting really angry seeing so many 'all lives matter' comments on Facebook. I've been arguing with people all day about it.

The fact is peaceful protests haven't worked. So what other option is there?

I mean one of the comments I read was from a store owner who's premises was on fire and he said something along the lines of 'let it burn if it bring justice'.
                                                Me too! I've been in comments....even the drag queens. I had to get Blair St.Clair together with her All live matter shit. She deleted the posted and re uploaded then turned off comments. I posted on another pic (expressing thanks) and she deleted my comment.

There is so much ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by dylonj View Post
                                                  Blair St.Clair
                                                  Not even the slightest surprised.

Comment

This is terrible but it just keeps happening doesn’t it. Nothing ever changes and I don’t think it will in my lifetime.
                                                    THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

^^^This is why protests and riots are necessary. I'm afraid that this will die down and we will go back back to business as usual until the next incident.

Comment

Trump is asking for Governors to use the army and not hesitate to shoot down protestors.
                                                        This is CRAZY.

Comment

The Music Industry is planning a Black Out Tuesday tomorrow in support of Black Lives Matter.
                                                          No radio adds tomorrow, no new release, etc
                                                          Music labels have put out joint statements simulltaneously.

Comment

This video made me tear up. It's so heartbreaking hearing that man speak to the teen. His hurt, pain, and rage is the sound of complete exhaustion with systemic racism.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X