Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lea Michele's Glee co-star accuses her of making her life a 'living hell' ("sh*t in my wig")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lea Michele's Glee co-star accuses her of making her life a 'living hell' ("sh*t in my wig")

Had this site been open yesterday this would no doubt have been a big thread. So here's the updated catch-up. An incredible amount of exposing of a major star (who really doesn't have much of a career outside of Glee anyway). People are now freely outing people for past examples of racially prejudiced behaviour. Amber Riley and Alex Newell were among those backing up Ware's tweet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://people.com/tv/lea-michele-ap...mpression=true

Lea Michele Apologizes After Costar Accuses Her of Making Glee a 'Living Hell': 'I Will Be Better'

"I apologize for my behavior and for any pain which I have caused," Lea Michele said

By Ashley Boucher
    June 03, 2020 07:00 AM

Lea Michele is apologizing for past behavior after her Glee costar Samantha Marie Ware accused her of "tormenting" her on the set of the musical TV series.

Michele, 33, says in a statement exclusively shared with PEOPLE that while she does not remember making the specific remarks that Ware says she made, that is "not really the point."

"What matters is that I clearly acted in ways which hurt other people," Michele says, explaining the importance of listening and learning from those who she might have hurt in the past.

"One of the most important lessons of the last few weeks is that we need to take the time to listen and learn about other people's perspectives and any role we have played or anything we can do to help address the injustices that they face," Michele says.

"When I tweeted the other day, it was meant to be a show of support for our friends and neighbors and communities of color during this really difficult time," she says, referring to her May 29 tweet in support of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.

She continues: "but the responses I received to what I posted have made me also focus specifically on how my own behavior towards fellow cast members was perceived by them."

Lea Michele, Samantha Marie Ware

JENNIFER GRAYLOCK/GETTY IMAGES; GREGG DEGUIRE/WIREIMAGE

"While I don’t remember ever making this specific statement and I have never judged others by their background or color of their skin, that’s not really the point," Michele's statement continues. "What matters is that I clearly acted in ways which hurt other people."

"Whether it was my privileged position and perspective that caused me to be perceived as insensitive or inappropriate at times or whether it was just my immaturity and me just being unnecessarily difficult, I apologize for my behavior and for any pain which I have caused. We all can grow and change and I have definitely used these past several months to reflect on my own shortcomings."

"I am a couple of months from becoming a mother and I know I need to keep working to better myself and take responsibility for my actions, so that I can be a real role model for my child and so I can pass along my lessons and mistakes, so that they can learn from me," she concludes. "I listened to these criticisms and I am learning and while I am very sorry, I will be better in the future from this experience."

Ware, who played Jane Hayward on the musical TV series for 11 episodes in 2015 opposite Michele, responded to the Scream Queens star's tweet about Floyd on Monday, calling her out for making Ware's time on set "a living hell."

"LMAO REMEMBER WHEN YOU MADE MY FIRST TELEVISION GIG A LIVING HELL?!?! CAUSE ILL NEVER FORGET," Ware tweeted.

"I BELIEVE YOU TOLD EVERYONE THAT IF TOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY YOU WOULD 'S— IN MY WIG!' AMONGST OTHER TRAUMATIC MICROAGRESSIONS THAT MADE ME QUESTION A CAREER IN HOLLYWOOD..." added Ware, 28.

A source close to Michele told PEOPLE on Wednesday that the actress "has reached out to a few of her former cast members and spoke to a couple of them."

After the Ware's allegation, the meal kit company HelloFresh announced that it would be ending its partnership with Michele.

"HelloFresh does not condone racism nor discrimination of any kind," the company said in a statement on Twitter Tuesday. "We are disheartened and disappointed to learn of the recent claims concerning Lea Michele. We take this very seriously, and have ended our partnership with Lea Michele, effective immediately."

Following the announcement, HelloFresh confirmed to PEOPLE that its partnership with Michele was over. A source close to the actress tells PEOPLE that "the partnership was nearing its conclusion regardless."

Ware did not provide further detail and did not specifically accuse Michele of any racially discriminatory behavior.

In April, PEOPLE confirmed exclusively that the actress and her husband, entrepreneur and business owner Zandy Reich, are expecting their first child together.

Just days after the pregnancy reveal on April 27, Michele shared a sweet photo of her baby bump on Instagram.

In the image, Michele sweetly cradled her belly in her hands while wearing a long blue dress. "So grateful," she wrote alongside the image.

Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Honestly not surprised at all. Everything I’ve ever read about her has given me the impression that she’s a massive, egotistical b*tch. The fact that other co-stars liked Samantha’s tweet clearly backs this up.

Clearly she’s spend the last 24 hours talking to her publicist on how best to ‘damage control’ this situation. But that apology was very half-hearted. And bringing into it that she’s about to be a mother doesn’t defend her actions.

Comment

This is delicious! What a c*nt. Karma is a bitch.

Comment

I would love to hear more backstage drama on this.

Comment

Bleh, I really like her character on the show, but I have a deep problem with people who makes others' lives hell at work. It's an abuse of power really.

Glad that HelloFresh severed their partnership with her. Hopefully, she loses other endorsement deals, too.
          Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Explains why her career never really took off outside Glee... most times the most successful actors or the ones with long lasting careers are not the really talented ones but the ones that work well with others. So, it pays to be kind.

Comment

Always had a bad impression about her.
                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

So many people are coming out with stories about Lea now, how she used to address the extras as "cockroaches". People are saying it's ruined Glee for them, but I'm finding it easy to disassociate actors from the enjoying the show.

I definitely feel like Ryan Murphy dropped the ball and should have had a "duty of care" to his actors, I mean there were clearly so many issues on that set.

Comment

Yeah I'll still watch and enjoy glee. However i was a huge lea fan so if course I'm disappointed but I'm more disgusted. She seems like a horrible person.
                    Love you like a love song!

Comment

although ITA that people are might be reading assumed racism into it given the climate and Lea's tweet just being the trigger point for refreshing it all for Samantha. She may just have been a equal opportunity biach to everyone on set, but that really is beside the point. The way the apology is worded shifts it onto the others from 'I cant remember saying that, but If I did, Im sorry that YOU took it that way' or 'I've reflected about how others may percieve what i've said' but not the actions themselves.

Like, saying with serious intent you'd take a dump in someones wig - how is one supposed to interpret something like that other than derogatory, it'd be pretty hard pressed to paint that as an offhanded joke even without context here.

Even if she has reflected and grown in the years since, assuming all these allegations are true, there's no easy way coming to the other side of this for her, keep her mouth shut on BLM and be called out for it, or apologise (with it phrased better and accept responsibility) and have it deemed as insincere and damage control regardless.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

I would love to hear more backstage drama on this.
                      Apparently Naya Rivera wrote a book a couple years ago and mentioned how the animosity between Rachel & Santana in S5 was actually true to life to a point they didn't speak to each other at all during S6.

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                      So many people are coming out with stories about Lea now, how she used to address the extras as "cockroaches". People are saying it's ruined Glee for them, but I'm finding it easy to disassociate actors from the enjoying the show.

I definitely feel like Ryan Murphy dropped the ball and should have had a "duty of care" to his actors, I mean there were clearly so many issues on that set.
                      Yeah the show has had such a dark behind the scenes, especially now all this stuff has come out in the years since. There's 2 reddit megathreads with further discussion
                      https://www.reddit.com/r/glee/commen...d_out_by_cast/
                      https://www.reddit.com/r/popheads/co...her_coworkers/

I don't think I really knew much about the Melissa Benoist & Blake Jenner domestic abuse thing, and theres also rumours Ryan Murphy kindof enabled Lea being a diva in regards to dictating other roles and such (if much like Rachel she felt threatened by some of the other girls singing ability).
                      Last edited by Affillate; Fri June 5, 2020, 03:29.
                      UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

The reddit is amazing - the Heather Morris post - "was she very unpleasant to work with? Very much so."

It doesn't ruin Glee for me, but it does add some weird depth to her character now. Like maybe the role was less of a stretch for Lea than I would have guessed.

Comment

I actually never watched Glee, but with all the quarentine time, I decided to watch all seasons the last two weeks.
                          Overall I never got why she was the main character, yes she has some pipes but her character was the most unlikeable in the whole series and with reading this it just seems like she played herself

Beside not watching Glee when it aired, I ofcourse heard about Cory and listened her album because of it. But I always sensed something odd about Lea. I just watched a lot of her interviews back and she doesn't seem genuine, basically too media trained. And her music also feels very inpersonal and not really genuine. Everything sounds like it are scraps by others. Like she doesn't have an identity as artist and also seems to hide her actual personality

Comment

This show is marred with so much tragedy and controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                              Always had a bad impression about her.
                              Me too. It always seemed to me that she actually didn't play a role but just was a self entitled just like her character (even though she was supposed to be an underdog we root for, it never came across like that for me).
                              I have received many gifts from God,
                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Dean Geyer (Brody in S4) has come out and said she was pleasant to work with but can only speak for his experience (which no doubt will be shot down as "Of course she was nice to you, you're a white male!") However Amber Riley (Mercedes) has reportedly said 'not saying she's a racist' but its more that the whole discussion about Lea is drawing attention away from focus on the actual issues at hand.

Also Iqbal Theba (Figgins) has also defended Lea as 'never mistreated him'.

Anyways best thing about coming across this article?... HOLD THE PHONE, Dean Geyer has released new music for the first time in nearly 13 years!

2 songs apparently came out Feb 28. I thought he was gonna remain a One album, One single wonder now hes been mainly an actor the last decade (bar that Neighbours duet thing he did with Caitlyn Stasey in 2008). I really enjoyed the Rush album back in 2007.

They're called The Pretender & Living Skeleton.
                                Last edited by Affillate; Sun June 7, 2020, 07:33.
                                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                  Dean Geyer (Brody in S4) has come out and said she was pleasant to work with but can only speak for his experience (which no doubt will be shot down as "Of course she was nice to you, you're a white male!") However Amber Riley (Mercedes) has reportedly said 'not saying she's a racist' but its more that the whole discussion about Lea is drawing attention away from focus on the actual issues at hand.

Also Iqbal Theba (Figgins) has also defended Lea as 'never mistreated him'.

Anyways best thing about coming across this article?... HOLD THE PHONE, Dean Geyer has released new music for the first time in nearly 13 years!

2 songs apparently came out Feb 28. I thought he was gonna remain a One album, One single wonder now hes been mainly an actor the last decade (bar that Neighbours duet thing he did with Caitlyn Stasey in 2008). I really enjoyed the Rush album back in 2007.

They're called The Pretender & Living Skeleton.
                                  I always remember how much Neighbours milked that ‘Unforgettable’ song, they sung it so much. I preferred ‘We Share The Same Space’.

Lea must just be a PR nightmare at the moment, so many stories circulating. Dean saying she was nice to him isn’t too surprising as they played love interests but she didn’t get on with Kate Hudson from what I recall.

Comment

Of course she was nice to Dean/ Brody, he's hot as hell. She probably wanted to get laid by him.
                                    My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

I never watched Glee so I only basically know her song Cannonball which I lowkey liked and found her like this cheesy nice girl. And I really liked her in Scream Queens.

So weird seeing so many tweets from so many people. Damn
                                      last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                      X