Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q Magazine folds after 34 years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Q Magazine folds after 34 years



    Q Magazine, a cornerstone of rock journalism in the UK, is to close after 34 years.

    "The pandemic did for us and there was nothing more to it than that," said the editor Ted Kessler in a tweet.

    He also shared the editor's letter for the final issue, due on 28 July, in which he said: "I must apologise for my failure to keep Q afloat."

    The magazine's circulation had fallen to 28,000 per month from a peak of 200,000 in 2001.

    Founded in 1986 by Smash Hits writers Mark Ellen and David Hepworth, Q arrived at the same time as the CD revolution took off - and its glossy, aspirational format chimed perfectly with the times.

    Its hefty and comprehensive reviews section not only covered new releases, but the copious re-issues that were starting to appear as record labels plundered their archives to bolster the new format.
    I remember it being huge in the 90s and 00s, the awards always used to attract a lot of press coverage. Most music print media now seems to focus on the past so after NME closing its print issues I’m not surprised Q couldn’t survive the pandemic (and mainstream guitar music has kinda been dead for a few years now).

  • #2
    Not at all surprised but it’s sad to see such an established brand fold all the same - back in the day, Q was hugely influential.

    Comment


    • #3
      good riddance.. I mean save the trees and all.

      #Fridays4Future
      My Chart

      Comment


      • #4
        Pandemic or not .. seriously who buys magazines in 2020?

        We have internet, digital press and social media these days.
        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

        Comment


        • #5
          It does feel weird buying physical magazines nowadays. Also weird now is waiting a whole month or quarter before a new issue or content is out. People want new content 24/7

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
            Pandemic or not .. seriously who buys magazines in 2020?
            Maybe for opinion pieces and reviews...
            However, long overdue for Q in particular.

            Waffles are checked cookies

            Comment


            • #7
              I never really read Q myself but loads of people still buy magazines.

              Comment


              • #8
                were they made out of rock before or why couldn't they fold for 34 years?
                BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                98 - OUT

                Comment


                • #9
                  I still buy magazines. It's good to still have some tangible copy that relates to music or film. I buy every single issue of Radio Times (for TV and radio) and Classic Pop plus most issues of Empire, Total Film, Uncut and Mojo. Q used to a great mag and this is sad. The only reason it's not so great now is because mainstream music is not so great.
                  They did feature a fair bit of pop, though and now the monthlies that are left (bar Classic Pop which has reverted back to bi-monthly and has some modern pop in the reviews) are mainly focused on adult oriented rock-based music and retro rock music.

                  Ironically the final issue out today has sold out everywhere - people that haven't bought it in years snapping it up. I had to order it online.
                  Last edited by Blondini; Tue July 28, 2020, 23:40.
                  Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                    I still buy magazines. It's good to still have some tangible copy that relates to music or film. I buy every single issue of Radio Times (for TV and radio) and Classic Pop plus most issues of Empire, Total Film, Uncut and Mojo. Q used to a great mag and this is sad. The only reason it's not so great now is because mainstream music is not so great.
                    They did feature a fair bit of pop, though and now the monthlies that are left (bar Classic Pop which has reverted back to bi-monthly and has some modern pop in the reviews) are mainly focused on adult oriented rock-based music and retro rock music.

                    Ironically the final issue out today has sold out everywhere - people that haven't bought it in years snapping it up. I had to order it online.
                    Personally I still like to have something physical when I'm reading, especially on a train or in the park. I just hate starting at a tiny screen and scrolling constantly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                      Personally I still like to have something physical when I'm reading, especially on a train or in the park. I just hate starting at a tiny screen and scrolling constantly.
                      Doesn’t have to be a tiny screen! I moved digital only on all my media a few years ago and I have to be honest, it’s weird when I go back to a physical book. In fact the last time I did read a physical book, I pressed the page and looked at the top of it expecting the time to appear - but paper can’t do that
                      Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

                      #FreeBritney

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by menime123 View Post

                        Doesn’t have to be a tiny screen! I moved digital only on all my media a few years ago and I have to be honest, it’s weird when I go back to a physical book. In fact the last time I did read a physical book, I pressed the page and looked at the top of it expecting the time to appear - but paper can’t do that
                        Ok so I don't like staring at any size screen.. thankfully i am quite happy to turn the pages of my book or magazine myself !! And I have the time on my watch or phone so that is not a service I expect a book to provide.
                        Last edited by InFamous; Wed July 29, 2020, 15:43.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X