Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotify: Top 40 is over, it's now a Top 43,000, music industry middle class growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotify: Top 40 is over, it's now a Top 43,000, music industry middle class growing

SPOTIFY THINKS THE TOP 40 IS OVER (AND OTHER KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM ITS Q2 RESULTS)

The Top 40 chart has long been a measure by which elements of the music industry judge their biggest artists – not to mention their own commercial performance. But according to Spotify, those days are finished.

The context for this industry-challenging claim is important, and speaks to the rapid evolution of the streaming-driven record business.

In its financial results for the second calendar quarter today (reflecting the three months to end of June), Spotify revealed that the number of artists making up its “top tier” of acts now stands at over 43,000.

That figure is up 43% from 30,000 one year ago, says Spotify.
    “GONE ARE THE DAYS OF TOP 40, IT’S NOW THE TOP 43,000.”

SPOTIFY SHAREHOLDER LETTER

What does “top tier” actually mean? MBW has double-checked with a Spotify spokesperson, who’s confirmed that it means these acts share no less than 90% of the streams on the platform.

We enjoy stats like this; they’re worth remembering. We remember, for example, that back at Spotify’s investor presentation in 2018, Daniel Ek revealed that, at the close of 2017, Spotify counted 22,000 artists within the “top tier” of its platform.

This, in turn, represented a 28% rise on the 16,000 artists who were in Spotify’s “top tier” at the close of 2015.

In other words, the surprisingly small group of artists sharing 90% of streams on Spotify today has (a) almost doubled in number in the past three years, and (b) nearly tripled in the past five years.

In different words: the exclusive club of artists attracting the majority of streams on Spotify is getting significantly less exclusive. The spoils are being shared more widely; the ‘middle class’ of artist on Spotify is on the rise – and the dominance of the blockbuster superstar is having to make way.

“Our product and platform are driving discovery, diversifying taste, and helping up-and-coming artists reach new audiences,” said Spotify today, adding: “Gone are the days of Top 40, it’s now the Top 43,000.”

How the major record companies – firms who traditionally thrive in a world where blockbuster artists exclusively hog the most streams – are reacting to this trend will be one of the key talking points of the music business in years to come.

There were plenty more interesting revelations in Spotify’s Q2 results (and subsequent earnings call) today too. Here’s four of them…

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...ts-q2-results/

--------------------

To be honest, this isn't news to me at all, it has been obvious for quite some time.
    2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

They could probably knock that down to 80% and half the number

I do think traditional charts are basically dead - they lack any sort of relevance and completely stagnated. The only time I look at charts is Christmas, as it's always nice to see who got the Christmas #1 and to see how high all the old classics are.

However I do wish Spotify would include a an 'artist ranking' chart. I think there's some merit in being able to see who is the most listened to etc. I know they have it on the artists personal page but (as far as I'm aware) it's not collated anywhere.
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by menime123 View Post
      The only time I look at charts is Christmas, as it's always nice to see who got the Christmas #1 and to see how high all the old classics are.
      As if we already don't know who's getting #1 every year for Christmas.
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post

As if we already don't know who's getting #1 every year for Christmas.
        She doesn't in the UK

#FreeBritney

Comment

She doesn't in the UK
          That's reserved for the charity single of the season. Again, not that hard to anticipate.
          I have received many gifts from God,
          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post

That's reserved for the charity single of the season. Again, not that hard to anticipate.
            Well we are a nation of sausage roll lovers.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Isn't it pretty much the opposite of what the article says? I feel like what's charting high is getting more and more monotonous instead of more diverse. I remember how I once posted the German top 10 from like 10 years ago or so and it included local acts, big pop hymns, ballads and a rock tune. There was music for everybody. Now it seems like it's all just a bunch of rap songs mixed with a few DJs in there :/ . Will those songs have any relevance in 10 years to come?
              Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
              and everything you stand for?
              Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
              just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                Isn't it pretty much the opposite of what the article says? I feel like what's charting high is getting more and more monotonous instead of more diverse. I remember how I once posted the German top 10 from like 10 years ago or so and it included local acts, big pop hymns, ballads and a rock tune. There was music for everybody. Now it seems like it's all just a bunch of rap songs mixed with a few DJs in there :/ . Will those songs have any relevance in 10 years to come?
                totally agree, there's no various.... just look at UK chart from mid 90s where almost every genre have a representation in the chart.... now I think even in that 43000 number there's still less diverse than in was in top 40 in 90s and 00s
                KUBA'S CHART

Comment

The figures don't meant much - how could 43,000 artists mean anything really?

I mean, Madonna ranks no. 263 out of 43,000 and according to her Spotify stats, she averages around 2 million streams a day. What does no. 42,999 stream daily - 10 songs?

#FreeBritney

Comment

The figures don't meant much - how could 43,000 artists mean anything really?

I mean, Madonna ranks no. 263 out of 43,000 and according to her Spotify stats, she averages around 2 million streams a day. What does no. 42,999 stream daily - 10 songs?
                    I believe the number is higher than 10 songs for an artist ranked 42,999... I assume it's more like 10,000-20,000 streams /day.
                    My Chart

Comment

That’s like what, 5 sales? Hardly worth counting and hardly top tier.

#FreeBritney

Comment

That’s like what, 5 sales? Hardly worth counting and hardly top tier.
                        fully agree
                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Thankfully all my faves are streaming elixirs
                          BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                          98 - OUT

Comment

Working...
                          X