No announcement yet.

Beirut blast: Explosion rocks city with many injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dread to think what the final death tole for this will be - the way those buildings were just obliterated sadly must mean there'll be many more dead and still unaccounted for.
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by menime123 View Post
      I dread to think what the final death tole for this will be - the way those buildings were just obliterated sadly must mean there'll be many more dead and still unaccounted for.
      The other consideration here is the number of people displaced by this disaster - the Governor of Beirut has stated that there are now as many as 300,000 people who are left homeless by this.

Comment

I can not believe how dumb their goverment is to let this kind of toxic and dangreous substance to be placed in the city centre without any protection for 6 years,

it was like a ticking bomb that they all had been sitting on. I assume there will be at least 1k victims of this tragedy.
        KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Any possibility of this being a terrorist attack? If they knew what kept in that warehouse, all they needed was something to cause this horrible reaction.
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

So awful. The videos are hard to watch
            Love you like a love song!

Comment

The death toll for Tuesday’s blast increased to 135, Lebanon’s Health Minister Hamad Hassan told Al-Manar television.

Another 5,000 people are wounded and dozens more are still missing, he said.
              Drugs come in all forms .... Mine just happens to be you!?

Comment

The diameter of the Beirut crater created by Tuesday's explosion appears to be roughly 124 meters — or about 405 feet, according to a CNN analysis of a Planet Labs, Inc. satellite image.

That distance means the crater is well over a football field in length.

CNN utilized geospatial software to measure the satellite imagery of the explosion site. The assessment is accurate within 10 meters.

Comment

Beirut explosion: Angry residents rage at leaders after blast

People in Beirut have expressed anger at the government over what they say was negligence that led to Tuesday's huge explosion.

President Michel Aoun said the blast was caused by 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored unsafely in a warehouse.

Many have accused the authorities of corruption, neglect and mismanagement.

The blast killed at least 137 people and injured about 5,000 others, while dozens are still missing. A two-week state of emergency has begun.

French architect Jean-Marc Bonfils, involved in rebuilding the city after the civil war, and firefighter Sahar Fares, one of the first responders at the scene, were among the first fatalities to be named. A German diplomat was also among the dead.

French President Emmanuel Macron - the first world leader to visit since the tragedy - was mobbed as he walked through the city on Thursday, with residents imploring him to help and denouncing their leaders.

"Help us, you are our only hope," one resident called out. "Please don't give money to our corrupt government," said another, before adding: "We can't take this any more."

At a press conference, Mr Macron said a new political order was needed in Lebanon. "The anger I saw in Beirut today also showed signs of hope for the future," he said.

He said France would help organise international aid to Lebanon. Funding was available, he said, but political reforms had to take place before it could be sent.

He vowed that there would be no blank cheques for Lebanon's leaders, but cautioned that he could not tell the Lebanese government what to do. France is the former colonial power in Lebanon.

Filmmaker Jude Chehab told the BBC: "Beirut is crying, Beirut is screaming, people are hysterical and people are tired."

Chadia Elmeouchi Noun, a resident currently in hospital, said: "I've known all the time that we are led by incompetent people, incompetent government... But I tell you something - what they have done now is absolutely criminal."

On Wednesday, the government announced that a number of port officials were placed under house arrest pending an investigation into the explosion.

The country's Supreme Defence Council insisted that those found responsible would face the "maximum punishment".

Meanwhile, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch (HRW) have called for an independent investigation into the blast. In a statement, HRW said it had "serious concerns about the ability of the Lebanese judiciary to conduct a credible and transparent investigation on its own".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53673957
                  The people of Lebanon deserve answers on this - placing the port officials under house arrest is nonsense given that they'd previously tried to have the dangerous substances removed (but to no avail), senior government ministers need to be held accountable for this.

Comment

Scandalous.

Comment

Unfortunately, justice is just an empty word in too many countries.
                      I doubt that Lebanon's people will ever get the answers they deserve.
                      All this tragedy showed the entire world that the dumbness of just a few people is more than enough to destroy a whole city/country, and this... is really scary.

Comment

Explained: What happened in deadly Beirut explosion

Comment

I think at this point it is of paramount importance to have a stable government in place to oversee the relief and rebuild efforts. While the anger of the people is totally justified, this is no time to call for resignations and international investigations that seem designed to achieve other goals. Remember this is a country governed under a strict and undermocratic sectarian system that has managed to ensure a high level of despotism, corruption and unaccountability but also a minimum level of peace. It is also a country about to enter an IMF bail-out program which is going to cause much hardship. Outside forces should be aware by now that if they start unraveling the system of governance in Lebanon right now, civil war is a possible outcome. So let's concentrate on the relief and rebuild effort and leave the accountability part to Lebanon itself.
                          Last edited by jio; Sat August 8, 2020, 13:39.
                          jio CHARTS NOW: 1/12/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10508583

Comment

From what I've seen on the news over the last few months, it seemed like the Lebanese government was already hanging by a thread before this thing happened. If the Lebanese people decide to get rid of it now, it's not really our job to approve or disapprove. No more meddling by 'the West' (the US and its puppet states) in the Middle East.

Comment

Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                              From what I've seen on the news over the last few months, it seemed like the Lebanese government was already hanging by a thread before this thing happened. If the Lebanese people decide to get rid of it now, it's not really our job to approve or disapprove. No more meddling by 'the West' (the US and its puppet states) in the Middle East.
                              Of course what we call "the lebanese people" is only a vocal fraction of them really (as is in every so-called peoples' revolution) and there is never such thing as no more meddling (not just by the "west" mind you but by many other actors in the region. I don't really understand the "not really a job to approve or disapprove" mantra, we are in a forum and we are writing in a topic and we are expressing opinions and we are certainly free to write what we feel, or what we "approve or disapprove" as you put it. Anyway, our opinions will change nothing.

And I feel that this is not the right time for this. There is absolutely no chance of a peaceful transition to an effective democracy under these circumstances, the most possible result will be chaos and civil war (as in most other Middle East countries that so-called people power took over) and that will open the doors for even more meddling by everyone or, as is the case in fellow Arab states Libya, Syria and Iraq, the creation of yet another failed state. Just sitting by and watching it unfold without commenting is akin to supporting it, which I don't.
                              Last edited by jio; Sun August 9, 2020, 01:54.
                              jio CHARTS NOW: 1/12/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10508583

Comment

I'm afraid Lebanon is gonna end up like Syria or Libya.
                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Beirut anti-government protests turn violent

Comment

The chemicals that went up in flames in Beirut's deadliest peace-time explosion arrived in the Lebanese capital seven years ago on a leaky Russian-leased cargo ship that, according to its captain, should never have stopped there.

Boris Prokoshev, 70, was captain of the Rhosus in 2013 when he says the owner told him to make an unscheduled stop in Lebanon to pick up extra cargo.

Mr. Prokoshev said the ship was carrying 2,750 tonnes of a highly combustible chemical from Georgia to Mozambique when the order came to divert to Beirut on its way through the Mediterranean.

The crew was asked to load some heavy road equipment and take it to Jordan's Port of Aqaba before resuming their journey onto Africa, where the ammonium nitrate was to be delivered to an explosives manufacturer.

But the ship was never to leave Beirut, having tried and failed to safely load the additional cargo before becoming embroiled in a lengthy legal dispute over port fees.

The captain and lawyers acting for some creditors accused the ship's owner of abandoning the vessel and succeeded in having it arrested. Months later, for safety reasons, the ammonium nitrate was unloaded and put in a dock warehouse.

On Tuesday, that stockpile caught fire and exploded not far from a built-up residential area of the city. The huge blast killed 145 people, injured 5,000, flattened buildings, and made more than a quarter of a million people homeless.

Comment

I've been following the news around this blast ever since Tuesday and it's all the more shocking to me given that I visited Beirut mid-March just when the coronavirus crisis took on its full speed there and in Europe. I wasn't actually even sure my flight back wouldn't get cancelled until the last hours. Much of my stay in Lebanon had to be limited to the central Beirut area as the museums and other main tourist attractions in the country were closed and to think that my hostel was exactly 800 metres from that warehouse that exploded is just mental. I feel so sorry for everyone who was around on Tuesday as it looked apocalyptic. It's even sadder when I think back on how I admired the renovated city centre after so many wars and conflicts. Beirut was finally becoming a modern city with touristic potential and it's now back in the debris...

Comment

Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                        Russia and others also have their stakes in the region, so it's really tricky. I agree that any type of successful transition looks unlikely.
                                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

The montage is even more overwhelming.
                                          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Shock turns to anger in Beirut after explosion kills more than 200 people

Comment

Working...
                                            X