Belarus election: President Lukashenko set to claim landslide win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belarus election: President Lukashenko set to claim landslide win

The long-time leader of Belarus, President Alexander Lukashenko, appears set to declare a landslide victory in an election that saw his toughest opposition challenge in years.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53707011

poor Belarusians, they have to live in this dictatorship for last 24 years and world don't give a ****
    KUBA'S CHART

I am from Belarus and the internet (wi-fi, mobile, 5g, etc.) has been buggy since yesterday (youtube is still not working).
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Belarus protests: UN human rights chief condemns crackdown

Drugs come in all forms .... Mine just happens to be you!?

Comment

I cannot believe what's going on in Eastern Europe! Poor people :(
        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Yeah it's really sad and hard to believe we are still there in 2020 but then again it's also hard to believe what's going on EVERYWHERE ugh
          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Just another terrible event in a terrible year...

Comment

Saw a video where you can hear the voices of tortured protesters inside a prison in Minsk. It was awful
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

@spiritboy: How sad to hear! I feel like the 'modern' countries keep on progressing, while less-developped countries seem to stay on the same level. I feel like this social standstill has to do with the lack of political fresh breeze in many of those countries. For example, the last update regarding LGBT rights in Belarus happened in 1994. That was the year Lukashenko got president. Ever since, not much has happened, I fear...
                Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                and everything you stand for?
                Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Belarus election: 'Widespread torture' inflicted on jailed protesters

Comment

He will regret it sooner than he thinks so. Just like other dictators. I am really rooting for Belarusians to finally free from that monster.
                    KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                      He will regret it sooner than he thinks so. Just like other dictators. I am really rooting for Belarusians to finally free from that monster.
                      you're oversimplifying
                      it would be very simple if it all depended on the departure of one man,
                      unfortunately it is about the whole system,
                      anyway hope that the Belarusians will solve his problems without interfering of "friendly countries",
                      but i'm little bit sceptical about this.
                      If US takes any actions regarding government changes (and sadly they probably will), Putin could invade Belarus (in the worst case scenario)

Comment

Isn't actually the dictatorship system about "one man rules the country"? I know it would be impossible without the army of men that follow his commands but to simplify, if they change one man, the whole system will collapse. and I really hope we can see it in Belarus this year!

I am mad that EU / Nato or even US don't even try to do sth with this situation, when it's clearly obvious that Lukashenko has faked the results of last week's voting.
                        KUBA'S CHART

Comment

the imminent threat of Russia taking action is holding EU/NATO and the rest back from any action (even proper statements).

nothing in the power structures here will change for the next 26 years as well, as long as there's strong Xi and Putin support, both immediately sent congratulations.

Comment

that's true, even today, Lukashenko said in one interview that those protests in Minsk are a treat also for Russia and he needs to call Putin to talk about this. People of Belarus should do what Ukrainians did some time ago. It's the only hope for them now.
                            KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Belarus protests: Striking workers walk off the job

Comment

i'm very sympathetic with the protestants, but their claims are a little bit unrealistic,
                                Lukashenko will never stand down freely,
                                so they should seek negotiations and demand for start further democratisation

Comment

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Huge protest eclipses President's rally in Belarus

Comment

Originally posted by navi View Post
                                      i'm very sympathetic with the protestants, but their claims are a little bit unrealistic,
                                      Lukashenko will never stand down freely,
                                      so they should seek negotiations and demand for start further democratisation
                                      He says "no new elections, you can't rig an election with 80% support, Yanukovych was a total fool to try and negotiate with the protesters, I will never ever do that". I expect total crackdown on any opposition to him in the coming days, the way China does to Hong Kong protesters. Random people might get detained easily even for suspicious apps (vpn, proxy) or pics on their phone.

Comment

With China and Russia backing, i don't see him going anywhere sadly.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

EU Council meeting on Wednesday.

Comment

can the EU really do anything besides imposing sanctions?
                                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                              EU and Russia had one recent agreement when they basically ousted Plahotnyuk (Moldovan oligarch) and his cronies from power in Moldova and managed to create a temporary coalition government
                                              Last edited by heppolo; Mon August 17, 2020, 19:40.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                                Sanctions work.

But the EU can (and should) also demand an independent review of the election result. And if he refuses, demand a rerun of the election because the first one was obviously rigged. If he refuses again, they can even go as far as to recognize his opponent as president. People constantly underestimate the EU's leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rihab View Post

But the EU can (and should) also demand an independent review of the election result. And if he refuses, demand a rerun of the election because the first one was obviously rigged. If he refuses again, they can even go as far as to recognize his opponent as president. People constantly underestimate the EU's leverage.
                                                  If EU does this without consultations with Russia (& China), Russia will immediately claim that this is an act of foreign interference which means that they need to act via creating military bases according to their security treaties with Belarus.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X