• Show
Clear All

• KEY9481
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo View Post
    If EU does this without consultations with Russia (& China), Russia will immediately claim that this is an act of foreign interference which means that they need to act via creating military bases according to their security treaties with Belarus.
    So? No one doubts that Putin has military power, but that's pretty much all he has. Russia is economic wasteland. If you can choose between the EU and Russia, no one chooses Russia. We just have to make sure that the Belarusian people realize that they have options.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post

But the EU can (and should) also demand an independent review of the election result. And if he refuses, demand a rerun of the election because the first one was obviously rigged. If he refuses again, they can even go as far as to recognize his opponent as president. People constantly underestimate the EU's leverage.
    If EU does this without consultations with Russia (& China), Russia will immediately claim that this is an act of foreign interference which means that they need to act via creating military bases according to their security treaties with Belarus.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    can the EU really do anything besides imposing sanctions?
    Sanctions work.

But the EU can (and should) also demand an independent review of the election result. And if he refuses, demand a rerun of the election because the first one was obviously rigged. If he refuses again, they can even go as far as to recognize his opponent as president. People constantly underestimate the EU's leverage.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    EU and Russia had one recent agreement when they basically ousted Plahotnyuk (Moldovan oligarch) and his cronies from power in Moldova and managed to create a temporary coalition government
    Last edited by heppolo; Mon August 17, 2020, 19:40.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    EU Council meeting on Wednesday.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    With China and Russia backing, i don't see him going anywhere sadly.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by navi View Post
    i'm very sympathetic with the protestants, but their claims are a little bit unrealistic,
    Lukashenko will never stand down freely,
    so they should seek negotiations and demand for start further democratisation
    He says "no new elections, you can't rig an election with 80% support, Yanukovych was a total fool to try and negotiate with the protesters, I will never ever do that". I expect total crackdown on any opposition to him in the coming days, the way China does to Hong Kong protesters. Random people might get detained easily even for suspicious apps (vpn, proxy) or pics on their phone.

Leave a comment:

• Lety
    replied
    Huge protest eclipses President's rally in Belarus

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied

Leave a comment:

• navi
    replied
    i'm very sympathetic with the protestants, but their claims are a little bit unrealistic,
    Lukashenko will never stand down freely,
    so they should seek negotiations and demand for start further democratisation

Leave a comment:

• Lety
    replied
    Belarus protests: Striking workers walk off the job

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    that's true, even today, Lukashenko said in one interview that those protests in Minsk are a treat also for Russia and he needs to call Putin to talk about this. People of Belarus should do what Ukrainians did some time ago. It's the only hope for them now.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    the imminent threat of Russia taking action is holding EU/NATO and the rest back from any action (even proper statements).

nothing in the power structures here will change for the next 26 years as well, as long as there's strong Xi and Putin support, both immediately sent congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    Isn't actually the dictatorship system about "one man rules the country"? I know it would be impossible without the army of men that follow his commands but to simplify, if they change one man, the whole system will collapse. and I really hope we can see it in Belarus this year!

I am mad that EU / Nato or even US don't even try to do sth with this situation, when it's clearly obvious that Lukashenko has faked the results of last week's voting.

Leave a comment:

• navi
    replied
    Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
    He will regret it sooner than he thinks so. Just like other dictators. I am really rooting for Belarusians to finally free from that monster.
    you're oversimplifying
    it would be very simple if it all depended on the departure of one man,
    unfortunately it is about the whole system,
    anyway hope that the Belarusians will solve his problems without interfering of "friendly countries",
    but i'm little bit sceptical about this.
    If US takes any actions regarding government changes (and sadly they probably will), Putin could invade Belarus (in the worst case scenario)

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    He will regret it sooner than he thinks so. Just like other dictators. I am really rooting for Belarusians to finally free from that monster.

Leave a comment:

• Lety
    replied
    Belarus election: 'Widespread torture' inflicted on jailed protesters

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    @spiritboy: How sad to hear! I feel like the 'modern' countries keep on progressing, while less-developped countries seem to stay on the same level. I feel like this social standstill has to do with the lack of political fresh breeze in many of those countries. For example, the last update regarding LGBT rights in Belarus happened in 1994. That was the year Lukashenko got president. Ever since, not much has happened, I fear...

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Saw a video where you can hear the voices of tortured protesters inside a prison in Minsk. It was awful

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Just another terrible event in a terrible year...

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Yeah it's really sad and hard to believe we are still there in 2020 but then again it's also hard to believe what's going on EVERYWHERE ugh

Leave a comment:

• mattsky
    replied
    I cannot believe what's going on in Eastern Europe! Poor people :(

Leave a comment:

• Lety
    replied
    Belarus protests: UN human rights chief condemns crackdown

Leave a comment:

Working...
X