Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britney Spears' conservatorship: Britney asks that court case stays public

Britney Spears asks court to remove dad's control over personal life

Britney Spears has asked a court not to return her father to a role that gave him control over many aspects of her life and career.

Jamie Spears has been his daughter's legal conservator for 12 years, due to concerns around her mental health.

He temporarily stepped aside from the role overseeing her personal affairs in 2019, citing his own health problems.

Some of Spears' fans believe she was forced into the arrangement, and have been running a #FreeBritney campaign.

What has Britney now said?

"Britney is strongly opposed to James' return as conservator of her person," according to a court document filed to the Superior Court of California in Los Angeles.

It explained that the 38-year-old singer was in favour of the role, which she said had "rescued her from a collapse, exploitation by predatory individuals and financial ruin" and made her "able to regain her position as a world class entertainer".

However, she wants her manager Jodi Montgomery, who stepped in for her father during his absence, to permanently oversee her personal affairs, once the conservatorship is up for extension again after 22 August.

Mr Spears has also had oversight of her financial affairs. He took sole control last year when his co-conservator, a lawyer, resigned. However, the court has been told the singer would now like a "qualified corporate fiduciary" to take over her finances.

Her lawyer said he expected that Jamie Spears would "aggressively" contest the request to push him aside.

But the legal documents said: "We are now at a point where the conservatorship must be changed substantially in order to reflect the major changes in her current lifestyle and her stated wishes."

It also revealed that Britney has no plans to perform again soon. She last performed live in October 2018, before cancelling a planned 2019 Las Vegas residency due to her father's ill health, noting how "it's important to always put your family first".

A hearing in the conservatorship case is scheduled for Wednesday in Los Angeles.

What is the conservatorship and why was it set up?

Britney Spears has not controlled her financial or many of her career decisions since 2008 under this court-enacted agreement.

A conservatorship is usually granted for individuals who are unable to make their own decisions, like those with dementia or other mental illnesses.

Essentially, for the last dozen years, her father and attorney have managed her assets and personal life - including being able to restrict her visitors and communicate with doctors about her treatment.

The star began behaving erratically in 2007 after her divorce from Kevin Federline, and she lost custody of their two children (although she has frequent visits).

Her alleged mental breakdowns took place in the public eye - she made headlines for shaving her head and was photographed hitting a paparazzo's car with an umbrella - and went to rehab facilities several times.

She was placed in psychiatric care after refusing to surrender her sons in a stand-off with the police, and the conservatorship was put in place in early 2008.

In the years under the conservatorship, she has released three albums, completed a two-year Las Vegas residency, and served as a judge on The X Factor.

Why do fans want to #FreeBritney?

What began as a hashtag in 2009 has mushroomed into an online campaign by fans who accuse Britney's father and others of being overly and unnecessarily controlling.

Some protested outside the last court hearing in July, and an online petition has gained more than 100,000 signatures. They believe they need to rescue their idol. Those close to the star say the campaign is based on a conspiracy theory.

The singer herself has not commented on the campaign. She does post regular photos and videos on Instagram, mainly showing her dancing.

There have been claims that she doesn't control her own posts and that old photos are being recycled. But in an Instagram video in May, she said: "For those of you who don't think I post my own videos... you're wrong."

And last weekend, she posted a picture showing a time and date "so you guys know these aren't old".

In July, another message said: "I get how some people might not like my posts or even understand them, but this is Me being happy... this is Me being authentic and as real as it gets".

However, in April she revealed on Instagram that she accidentally burned down her home gym, which concerned some fans. She has also recently appeared to respond to supporters who ask her to post a specific photo if she needs help - like wearing a yellow shirt or posting a painting with doves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53831916
    #FreeBritney

I dont really follow Britney, but it still boggles my mind how she allegedly can be mentally stable enough to record and perform, but not to make any decisions in her life. The conservatorship always felt excessive to me, even back in 2007. But there's a good chance that it will never end, because the ones in control of the narrative are the same ones who are profiting from the status quo.
    I remember reading a statement by her brother (?) recently, where he basically claimed that the c-ship is necessary, because Britney has always had other people making decisions for her and is incapable of doing so herself because of that. What a load of crap! Even if that's true: How is she ever gonna overcome that, if they keep controlling every single aspect of her life?

It's pretty frightening to me how easy it seems to be to place someone under a c-ship in the US. Not surprised, though. The US legal system is pretty messed up in many aspects.

Comment

Imo, there are two cases when conservatorship is useful:
      1. If a person is severely disabled to the degree that he/she can't run everyday life things.
      2. If a person has got severe mental issues that lead to the person being a danger to oneself or others.

Neither is the case with Britney Spears, so I hav to join the list of people saying 'Free Britney!'.
      Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
      and everything you stand for?
      Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
      just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

We’ll never know the full truth. I’m guessing there’s a lot of gaslighting involved.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
          I dont really follow Britney, but it still boggles my mind how she allegedly can be mentally stable enough to record and perform, but not to make any decisions in her life. The conservatorship always felt excessive to me, even back in 2007. But there's a good chance that it will never end, because the ones in control of the narrative are the same ones who are profiting from the status quo.
          I remember reading a statement by her brother (?) recently, where he basically claimed that the c-ship is necessary, because Britney has always had other people making decisions for her and is incapable of doing so herself because of that. What a load of crap! Even if that's true: How is she ever gonna overcome that, if they keep controlling every single aspect of her life?

It's pretty frightening to me how easy it seems to be to place someone under a c-ship in the US. Not surprised, though. The US legal system is pretty messed up in many aspects.
          I blame the US legal system for this mess also - it’s a complete shambles that she should have to surrender her income to other people, who “manage” it for her.

Comment

So she is just asking for her dad to be removed and not for the conservatorship to end? I hope this is just a tactical move on her part and not what she really wants...

It is a bit of a trap though... if you are not capable to make decisions and take control of your life, then your opinion on who should run your conservatorship is irrelevant really but if you are capable enough to have a valid and worthy opinion on that, then there is no need for the conservatorship anyway so why ask it...
            jio CHARTS NOW: 28/9/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...7#post10472377

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post
              So she is just asking for her dad to be removed and not for the conservatorship to end? I hope this is just a tactical move on her part and not what she really wants...
              I would say it's a one-step-at-a-time situation.
              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post

It is a bit of a trap though... if you are not capable to make decisions and take control of your life, then your opinion on who should run your conservatorship is irrelevant really but if you are capable enough to have a valid and worthy opinion on that, then there is no need for the conservatorship anyway so why ask it...
                It’s tactical. A one step thing. The first thing they need to do is removing her father by simply changing / replacing the conservator. Then another process will start.

In the documents it states that she doesn’t want her father to continue in that position and that she doesn’t want him to be around handling / touching her money anymore. It called my attention (because I read all the documents) and it was very explicit that part of her desire for her father being far away from her money (which is pretty telling, we obviously know what is happening).

And the article isn’t very complete either but the specific reason for her not wanting to perform is because she’s not happy with the way her C-ship turned out. In the documents even says that she won’t perform or record music again if she doesn’t see changes in the C-ship (and we all know those changes mean = her father OUT).

Britney won’t cooperate anymore with her team and father, she will refuse to record (she even rejected a duet with Robbie Williams for his last Christmas album - confirmed by Robbie himself), she won’t perform in any sense or do something that could generate money or support to any of these people. It’s her only way to currently stop the corruption business. She doesn’t see sense anymore on working under those conditions.
                Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

People like to think of Britney Spears as that music industry puppet who is a bit simple-minded. I don't think she's highly intelligent but surely capable of doing more than she's allowed to show. During the period 2003-2007, she experienced her artistic peak, and once the conservatorship is over, I'll be very excited about her finally allowed to tell openly how she experienced all that time and how it'll impact her music from then on.
                  Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                  and everything you stand for?
                  Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                  just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                    People like to think of Britney Spears as that music industry puppet who is a bit simple-minded. I don't think she's highly intelligent but surely capable of doing more than she's allowed to show. During the period 2003-2007, she experienced her artistic peak, and once the conservatorship is over, I'll be very excited about her finally allowed to tell openly how she experienced all that time and how it'll impact her music from then on.
                    Britney was a bright popstar, who used to be passionate about her career and who cared about her music. It was very important for her to offer the best she could in many occasions during her prime. She wasn’t the strongest vocalist so that’s why she worked extra harder and always wanted to do great performances, big music videos and fun albums.

The current Britney is just the result of years of silence, traumas, a once bright star who was shut down and destroyed by her own team under a legal system that basically turned her into a puppet machine for their handlers who steal her money. It’s years of medications and drugs put in her system and forced scripted interviews where she couldn’t even be herself because it was all staged without being able to do anything legally. The deterioration, anxiety, years of stress basically drained her soul and dreams out of her eyes.

Such a big Icon lost in Hollywood.
                    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• theMathematician
                      theMathematician commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I stay positive and believe there will come a time when she's able to wrap it all up and that's when she'll get the chance to show the creativity she wasn't allowed to show for so long.

Britney Spears’ Ex-husband, Jason Alexander (who was married to Britney for 55 hours in 2004) supports the “Free Britney” movement and attends protests.

Comment

What a mess! I hope the court appoints some professional who can handle Britney and her money. Her dad needs to GTFO, didn't he fight with one of her kids?
                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Apparently it's renewed under the exact same terms for another 6 months
                        jio CHARTS NOW: 28/9/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...7#post10472377

Comment

Britney Spears Conservatorship to Remain As Is Until 2021

The singer has called for changes to the legal arrangement that controls her life and finances, but the guardianship was extended through Feb. 1.

A request by the pop singer Britney Spears to substantially change the setup of the court-approved conservatorship she has lived under for 12 years will not be decided on until February, a California judge said this week amid a flurry of filings by Spears and her family.

Spears, 38, remains one of the most beloved and best-selling stars of the modern era, but has had her life and finances carefully controlled by a complex and largely private legal arrangement — one typically used for the old, infirm or disabled — since 2008, following her much-publicized struggles with mental heath issues and substance abuse.

For more than a decade, Spears’s father, James P. Spears, known as Jamie, has overseen much of the singer’s career and personal life as conservator of her person and estate, though he stepped down last year, citing health problems. Spears, through her court-appointed lawyer, Samuel D. Ingham III, said this week that she was “strongly opposed” to having her father return to his role as her conservator, indicating that she was willing to fight him in court.

Ingham said that Spears preferred to keep her temporary conservator, Jodi Montgomery, in the role overseeing her mental health care and more, and requested that a bank be in charge of her estate. To justify the changes, the lawyer pointed to Spears’s desire to no longer perform for the time being, and left open the possibility that she would “seek termination of this conservatorship in the future.”

At the same time, Jamie Spears, through his own lawyers, sought to bring back his former co-conservator of Spears’s estate, Andrew M. Wallet, who voluntarily resigned from his role in March 2019, after more than a decade in the job.​​​​​

Following a hearing on Wednesday, Judge Brenda Penny of the Los Angeles County Superior Court in California extended the current version of the conservatorship until Feb. 1. She called for Ingham to file his petition on behalf of Spears by Sept. 18, with any objections filed by Oct. 2. A hearing was scheduled in the case for Oct. 14.

The recent filings, and especially Spears’s call for changes to the conservatorship, have only served to inflame the grass roots, fan-led protests known as the #FreeBritney movement, whose followers believe that the pop star is being held against her will or stolen from. (Court documents put Spears’s total assets at $57.4 million as of December 2019, including about $2.7 million in cash.)

Though the court proceedings are typically closed to the public and most records sealed, #FreeBritney supporters gathered outside the hearing in Los Angeles on Wednesday, and were heartened when Ingham told the judge that he found the blanket seal and closed courtroom to be occasionally unwarranted, calling for perhaps more transparency in the future.

Jamie Spears has dismissed the #FreeBritney advocates as conspiracy theorists, and in additional filings this week, sought to seal future pleadings, citing the privacy of his daughter and her two children. “Such information would undoubtedly fuel widespread publicity and the ability to obtain access to her or her children, as evidenced by the publicity surrounding this conservatorship since its inception and numerous instances of harassment,” his lawyer said. “That publicity would be highly injurious to the Conservatee’s health and well-being, as well as the health and well-being of her minor children.”

The ACLU indicated this week that it would back the performer if she requested help. “People with disabilities have a right to lead self-directed lives and retain their civil rights,” the organization said in a tweet. “If Britney Spears wants to regain her civil liberties and get out of her conservatorship, we are here to help her.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/21/a...vatorship.html
                          He stays in control of her - crucially maintaining control over her $60m fortune.

Comment

This is ridiculous.
                            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

There is a new audience next month where they will analyze the new legal documents Britney submitted. And apparently it’s being predicted that this case will eventually go on a nasty trial given the fact that with civilized formal audiences her father doesn’t want to cooperate.

Britney isn’t even asking for the C-ship to be terminated at this specific moment, she’s just asking / requesting that they assign someone different than her father as her conservator and she’s asking for a bank or financial institution to handle her money instead of her father.

Her father doesn’t want to cooperate under good terms so they’ll likely have to fight this on court in a major trial. It is what many are predicting to see.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                Her father doesn’t want to cooperate under good terms so they’ll likely have to fight this on court in a major trial. It is what many are predicting to see.
                                The irony here being that he'll probably use her fortune to fund it.

Comment

Britney’s former makeup artist Billy Brasfield has officially joined the “Free Britney” Movement and attended protests to support Britney during last court audience.

Billy worked with Britney during 2012/2013 and says he will support her, will bring awareness and do “whatever he can”

He said:

This is what I will say, I was booked with Britney once... and it only took that one time for me to love BRITNEY, not the Superstar but the person. I worked everyday with her everyday for quite some time... i got to know her, I got to 'see' her.... and I like you, I AM concerned, and I will do whatever I can, if asked.... to help her, to 'free Britney' anyone deserves freedom."
                                  By doing this Billy is risking his own career in Hollywood.

Comment

This is insane, she should be given full control on her life, finances and everything that's rightfully hers.
                                    Her dad sounds like a dangerous , power hungry, insidious man.

Comment

Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
                                      This is insane, she should be given full control on her life, finances and everything that's rightfully hers.
                                      Her dad sounds like a dangerous , power hungry, insidious man.
                                      Every time her C-ship is challenged automatically “close sources” to Britney and her mysterious “doctors” (that no one knows) state that she is completely and massively disabled and the whole thing is so severe to the point that Britney basically struggles with daily survival activities (in other words she can’t even brush her teeth on her own).

But it calls my attention that at the same time, these exact same “close sources” and “doctors” authorize and consider her completely fit, fine and reliable to do world tours, extended Vegas residencies for 4 years straight, music videos, magazine covers, public events and a bunch of stuff that any disabled person battling to pull daily survival activities in the world couldn’t (and shouldn’t) even be close to do.

The irony, hypocrisy and incoherence in all of this is crazy. like “you’re not fit to brush your teeth” but you’re totally fit to perform an 8 minute Medley as the opening performance of the Billboard Music Awards on LIVE TV!.

There’s no way a real and professional doctor would EVER approve or authorize someone who is in an extreme condition to do these kind of stuff. Never in years! Whatever she “has” is nowhere close as bad if doctors and judges are considering her fit to keep recording and doing shows.

Something is not adding up, there’s not enough transparency. The lies are falling apart and by now we all know the C-ship is manipulative, corrupted and it’s main motivation is MONEY!!!

I personally don’t think she needs a C-ship, but let’s say that there’s a possibility she really needs one because she might be let’s say (for example) bipolar and needs help to find balance with her finances and major decisions then that’s absolutely fine but that doesn’t mean that she shouldn’t have basic rights, artistic creativity, the career she wants, and basic needs that HAVE nothing to do with a C-ship. Changes need to be done!! .

and BTW I firmly believe her father and some other people involved deserve some jail time for their corrupted actions.
                                      Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun August 23, 2020, 21:12.

Comment

US Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez supports the Free Britney movement.

Comment

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

WTF, I already thought it was weird how Jamie Lynn was so against the Free Britney movement and was rude to the fans. But now it all makes sense. Clearly she is taking advantage of Britney, just like her father.
                                              Poor Brit, I hope this mess gets resolved soon. Seems only her mother is really on her side at the moment.
                                              Last edited by Noahh; Wed August 26, 2020, 11:03.
                                              "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

Originally posted by Noahh View Post
                                                WTF, I already thought it was weird how Jamie Lynn was so against the Free Britney movement and was rude to the fans. But now it all makes sense. Clearly she is taking advantage of Britney, just like her father.
                                                Poor Brit, I hope this mess gets resolved soon. Seems only her mother is really on her side at the moment.
                                                Or maybe she is doing this for her Sister, have you spoken to Britney? Do we know she didn’t want this? I am so sick of people just “knowing things”. Maybe Britney actually has very deep physiological issues and needs this… none of us know the truth and everyone needs to just leave the family in piece.

Comment

Working...
                                                X