Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies At 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    I didn't know her at all, but according to Wiki, she's been working until her death at the age of 87. Was she that passionate about her work or do judges earn that little money that she had to work til that late? In my country, it's very unusual to work beyond the age of 70.

Simply put, she worked because she believed in the law and the law above everything else. Sadly, as others have pointed out, the position she held is highly politicised and has longer lasting repercussions if Trump is able to replace her - her dying wish was that Trump would not replace her until after the US election, because she knew he was in direct contradiction to the vision of the America she has helped shape and create using the law.
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Difficult situation then, yes. I'm not a Trump supporter, but not as strictly against him as other users on here either, so I'll just say the following: If she really had wanted her succession to be handled properly according to her vision, she could've stepped down during Obama I or Obama II. She refused to do so and therefore must've at least considered it a possibility she may die during a Republican president's reign considering her age and her illness.
      Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
      and everything you stand for?
      Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
      just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
        Difficult situation then, yes. I'm not a Trump supporter, but not as strictly against him as other users on here either, so I'll just say the following: If she really had wanted her succession to be handled properly according to her vision, she could've stepped down during Obama I or Obama II. She refused to do so and therefore must've at least considered it a possibility she may die during a Republican president's reign considering her age and her illness.
        Supreme Court justices have lifetime tenures under the US constitution and Ruth always stated that she'd continue for as long as she was able to, taking each year as it came. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's very easy to say now that she should've retired back then.

Comment

I think she miscalculated. I really think she assumed Hillary was going to win in 2016, and was charmed by the idea of a woman president replacing a woman justice.

Comment

US President Donald Trump has nominated Amy Coney Barrett, a favourite of social conservatives, to be the new Supreme Court justice.

Speaking at the White House Rose Garden, Mr Trump described her as a "woman of unparalleled achievement".

Judge Barrett would replace liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died of cancer on 18 September.

Her nomination will spark a bitter Senate fight to get her confirmed as November's presidential election looms.

Supreme Court justices are nominated by the US president, but must be approved by the Senate.

Mr Trump said Judge Barrett was a "stellar scholar and judge" with "unyielding loyalty to the constitution".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54312699
            The people of America should riot.

Comment

Why should they riot?
              Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
              and everything you stand for?
              Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
              just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Because he is making sure he is getting a second term by selecting a Supreme Court judge supporting him.
                Whatever happens on Nov 3rd, he can go on and ask for the Supreme Court to make a ruling on the election, as they did in 2000. With a majority of them now being conservatives/Republicans....
                Plus, considering her views and societal ideas, this is two to three steps backwards.
                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                  Because he is making sure he is getting a second term by selecting a Supreme Court judge supporting him.
                  Whatever happens on Nov 3rd, he can go on and ask for the Supreme Court to make a ruling on the election, as they did in 2000. With a majority of them now being conservatives/Republicans....
                  Plus, considering her views and societal ideas, this is two to three steps backwards.
                  + the hypocrisy in the fact that the Republicans wouldn’t allow Obama to do the same, despite him having 2-3 times longer on his Presidency.

This nominee cannot and should not be approved, using the Republicans’ own precedent as the basis for it not - but then all the other stuff you mentioned KEY9481 if that fails.

Comment

There’ll be riots if she’s approved this close to an election.

Has anyone seen the movie ‘On The Basis of Sex’? Starring Felicity Jones as RBG and focuses on her earlier life and legal career. Well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it or don’t understand why this woman means so much to America.
                    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Working...
                    X