Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• menime123
    replied
    There’ll be riots if she’s approved this close to an election.

Has anyone seen the movie ‘On The Basis of Sex’? Starring Felicity Jones as RBG and focuses on her earlier life and legal career. Well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it or don’t understand why this woman means so much to America.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
    Because he is making sure he is getting a second term by selecting a Supreme Court judge supporting him.
    Whatever happens on Nov 3rd, he can go on and ask for the Supreme Court to make a ruling on the election, as they did in 2000. With a majority of them now being conservatives/Republicans....
    Plus, considering her views and societal ideas, this is two to three steps backwards.
    + the hypocrisy in the fact that the Republicans wouldn’t allow Obama to do the same, despite him having 2-3 times longer on his Presidency.

This nominee cannot and should not be approved, using the Republicans’ own precedent as the basis for it not - but then all the other stuff you mentioned KEY9481 if that fails.

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    Because he is making sure he is getting a second term by selecting a Supreme Court judge supporting him.
    Whatever happens on Nov 3rd, he can go on and ask for the Supreme Court to make a ruling on the election, as they did in 2000. With a majority of them now being conservatives/Republicans....
    Plus, considering her views and societal ideas, this is two to three steps backwards.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Why should they riot?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    US President Donald Trump has nominated Amy Coney Barrett, a favourite of social conservatives, to be the new Supreme Court justice.

Speaking at the White House Rose Garden, Mr Trump described her as a "woman of unparalleled achievement".

Judge Barrett would replace liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died of cancer on 18 September.

Her nomination will spark a bitter Senate fight to get her confirmed as November's presidential election looms.

Supreme Court justices are nominated by the US president, but must be approved by the Senate.

Mr Trump said Judge Barrett was a "stellar scholar and judge" with "unyielding loyalty to the constitution".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54312699
    The people of America should riot.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    I think she miscalculated. I really think she assumed Hillary was going to win in 2016, and was charmed by the idea of a woman president replacing a woman justice.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    Difficult situation then, yes. I'm not a Trump supporter, but not as strictly against him as other users on here either, so I'll just say the following: If she really had wanted her succession to be handled properly according to her vision, she could've stepped down during Obama I or Obama II. She refused to do so and therefore must've at least considered it a possibility she may die during a Republican president's reign considering her age and her illness.
    Supreme Court justices have lifetime tenures under the US constitution and Ruth always stated that she'd continue for as long as she was able to, taking each year as it came. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's very easy to say now that she should've retired back then.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Difficult situation then, yes. I'm not a Trump supporter, but not as strictly against him as other users on here either, so I'll just say the following: If she really had wanted her succession to be handled properly according to her vision, she could've stepped down during Obama I or Obama II. She refused to do so and therefore must've at least considered it a possibility she may die during a Republican president's reign considering her age and her illness.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    I didn't know her at all, but according to Wiki, she's been working until her death at the age of 87. Was she that passionate about her work or do judges earn that little money that she had to work til that late? In my country, it's very unusual to work beyond the age of 70.

Simply put, she worked because she believed in the law and the law above everything else. Sadly, as others have pointed out, the position she held is highly politicised and has longer lasting repercussions if Trump is able to replace her - her dying wish was that Trump would not replace her until after the US election, because she knew he was in direct contradiction to the vision of the America she has helped shape and create using the law.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    I didn't know her at all, but according to Wiki, she's been working until her death at the age of 87. Was she that passionate about her work or do judges earn that little money that she had to work til that late? In my country, it's very unusual to work beyond the age of 70.

Leave a comment:

• Ewokguy15
    replied
    Originally posted by thebigham View Post

It's heartbreaking because if a Conservative is put on the Supreme Court, most votes will now be 6 to 3. 6 Conservatives and 3 Liberals.

Evangelicals control the Republican Party. They will go after anyone who is not white, straight, Christian and male.

A women will lose her right to choose what to do with her body.

Gay marriage could be over-turned.

Rights for transgender people will be forgotten.

The Dreamers will be deported!

Travel bans based on religion will continue.

Yeah I know all this, that why I said it’s sad for America.

Though the point still stand that everything happening is down to the American Public, they put that person in office, America is basically a list cause at this point, they have been going backwards for a while, it’s very sad times over there.

Leave a comment:

• android
    replied
    May she rest in peace. A progressive who represented the interests and views of a modern society.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    RIP Ruth, i know she was someone important but i have to read more about her.

I'm pretty sure she'll be replace by a Republican and Trump will win the election this year.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

She was a truly remarkable woman, a formidable force and an ally to so many people.

The tributes that have poured in are powerful.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    My friend wrote this on Facebook:

With the passing of RBG, I now stay up at night wondering if my marriage will be recognized by the federal government this time next year. Whether a court will overrule the precedents established by the Obergefell and Windsor cases.

I wonder whether a woman will have the right to choose, or whether we will return to a society where in certain states coat hangers are used in back alley’s to perform a procedure, disproportionately impacting low income and minority women.

I wonder whether the voting rights act will be whittled away to nothing, making it more difficult than ever for minorities to vote, and where gerrymandering allows one party to dominate politically for generations and generations.

I wonder if people will get a fair chance to vote at all, or whether votes will be suppressed or an election stolen.

I wonder whether big corporations will be allowed to fleece the country, the environment, and its workers by being unchecked by regulations.

I wonder whether the most vulnerable who are being locked in cages at the border and who are being subjected to torture and physical maiming that defies any notion of acceptability, will be allowed to continue, and whether families will continue to be split apart at the border.

I wonder whether police will have less restrictions in how they can intrude in the lives of Americans.

I wonder whether we will continue to have a free press, and whether our right to stand up and protest against our government will remain intact and protected by the first amendment.

I wonder whether the first amendment will exist other than for religious groups to use it as a sword to discriminate against others.

I wonder whether the one percent of the country will become when wealthier at the expense of the other 99% of the country.

I wonder whether many Americans who don’t receive decent health insurance from their employers will still be able to access affordable and decent healthcare coverage, and...

I wonder whether Americans who have a preexisting condition will be able to access health coverage for themselves at all.

I wonder if people will put aside their need for ideological purity and will realize this really is about good vs. evil, and...

I wonder if they will see the dire situation for what it is, and do everything in their power to change this system.

I wonder if people will wake up and rise up.

These are the things I wonder about. This is what keeps me up at night.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    I know she'd had health issues for years, so to that end, this isn't a tremendous shock, but the implications could be devastating.

Rest well, RBG.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

American chose their president, whatever happens, it’s on the American General Public.

I don’t see how the word “heartbreaking” can be used in this situation but each to their own.
    It's heartbreaking because if a Conservative is put on the Supreme Court, most votes will now be 6 to 3. 6 Conservatives and 3 Liberals.

Evangelicals control the Republican Party. They will go after anyone who is not white, straight, Christian and male.

A women will lose her right to choose what to do with her body.

Gay marriage could be over-turned.

Rights for transgender people will be forgotten.

The Dreamers will be deported!

Travel bans based on religion will continue.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    If Trump loses on Nov 3rd, he is President for not 4 months. January 20th is when Biden will be sworn in.

Mitch McConnell will have 2 months and 16 days to get Trump's nominee onto the Supreme Court.

Leave a comment:

• Marchum
    replied
    Delete
    Last edited by Marchum; Sat September 19, 2020, 13:23.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    I personally think death generally is heartbreaking, whatever the circumstances - but whatever.

Could Trump try and get a nomination through whilst still president for her replacement? Not sure whether the rules would allow it.
    Even if he were to lose the election, he still has four months to go, which is enough time. It's infuriating that the Republicans will replace her in an election year when in 2016 they paid Obama's nomination dust.

It's devastating news - this will keep the make-up of the court conservative for at least a generation.

The Supreme Court ruled on the 2000 election and I wonder if this could impact this year's election.

I had a hard time sleeping last night because I was so upset about this. I'm also a little pissed that she didn't step down while Obama was president. Perhaps she was hoping Hillary would win so she could step down then.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Hundreds gathered outside the Supreme Court singing for RBG.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    This is AWFUL! I have feelings of sadness, anger, outrage and fear all at the same time.

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    I personally think death generally is heartbreaking, whatever the circumstances - but whatever.

Could Trump try and get a nomination through whilst still president for her replacement? Not sure whether the rules would allow it.
    The rules allow. Given that the Republicans are in charge of the senate, there is likely no question they will try it. Only political pushback likely could stop a confirmation process.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
    American chose their president, whatever happens
    Not when we see a repeat of 2000 in November.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    I've mis- and overused the word 'scream' in the past, but I literally screamed at the news this morning. This is sad and frustrating. I really hoped she'd survive Trump and get to enjoy at least a few months or years of retirement. No one on this planet deserved it more than her.

An inspiring woman who did more for democracy and women's / gay rights than most presidents. RIP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X