• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpopulation

1804: 1 billion people

1927: 2 billion people

1974: 4 billion people

2015: 7 billion people

It is said that 4 billion people is really all the Earth can handle the way we want to live now with all our modern stuff taking big "bites" out of our planet. But it won't be long before we reach 8 billion...

Almost every problem we have comes from overpopulation: global warming, hunger...

What do you think we should do to get the population to a stop? Or better, getting smaller?
    My Instagram... - Click here

The people of UKMIX believe that the answer to all of our problems is to eradicate religion.

Comment

Homosexuality needs to take over for a while, after a couple of decades we'll be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
        The people of UKMIX believe that the answer to all of our problems is to eradicate religion.
        Couldn't hurt!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay

It is said that 4 billion people is really all the Earth can handle the way we want to live now with all our modern stuff taking big "bites" out of our planet. But it won't be long before we reach 8 billion...
          I've read that the Earth is capable of withstanding 10 billion if managed adequately
          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
            Homosexuality needs to take over for a while, after a couple of decades we'll be ok
            +1

jk
            My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

Education.

I once saw somewhere that as female literacy increases, birth rate decreases as women become more empowered to make decisions about their bodies. Developing nations have lower literacy levels and are where most of the growth in population occurs so in theory, if we can educate the people (especially the women), then we can achieve a stabilisation of the population.
              Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE

Comment

we need to put the Scandinavians in charge of the earth for a couple of decades to be honest, they know what theyre doing (except iceland obviously)

Comment

Originally posted by Plym
                  we need to put the Scandinavians in charge of the earth for a couple of decades to be honest, they know what theyre doing (except iceland obviously)
                  probably true.

Overpopulation will solve itself. Population in Europe (once the most populated continent in the world) is shrinking rapidly and even birthrates in North America need a heavy influx of immigrants to stay stable.

Europe which has a population of 740 million people as of today will probably settle at 600 million by 2100.

Global population by continents:

4,298,000,000 - Asia
                  1,110,000,000 - Africa
                  972,000,000 - Americas
                  742,000,000 - Europe
                  38,300,000 - Oceania

I've never realiszed that all continents except Europe start with an A (Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, Americas... Europe)

It's quite shocking to learn that the most populated continents are home to also the poorest countries in the world.
                  My Chart

Comment

If two people (= a woman and a man) get together, they obviously have to get two kids to get the population stable. In Germany, the average woman only gets 1.4 children, so we could actually face the problem of a shrinking population in Germany, which might not be a problem in the beginning, but what about the case if there are many old people and just very few young people? Talking about intergenerational contract and other issues... Germany is a country where families with many children have a bad reputation, have disadvantages in their business and private life, don't really get enough support from the state and it's not desirable for a modern German woman to have multiple children. I believe it's the same in most other countries with high living standards.
                    Then you've got natural factors that prevent overpopulation, homosexuality and couples that can't or don't want to get children.
                    And still we're facing the (near) future problem of overpopulation. There have to be places where the average woman gets much more than two kids, probably in many African states. We have to ask why it's so desirable for women to have many children in those states and based on that, we have to find a solution that e.g. African women can live with. If it has to do with a lack of sex education, the first thing that has to happen is to remove taboos in daily life, sex should become known as a normal thing, which it already is but concealed in public. Stricter laws regarding sexual abuse, general strengthening of the role of the woman, education as already mentioned before and access to contraceptives (in general, the affected countries should train much more physicians!).

Both, countries with high and low living standards, should come together and find ways to have a higher birth rate in modern countries and a lower one in 3rd world countries as that could also help to break down barriers between all of those countries and slowly helps to lessen the gap between them.
                    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Isn't China the country where people are having kids like crazy?, I mean there are families with 30 kids and stuff and the country has like 1,3 billion population
                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Europe, North America (americanised Asia) and Australia have all got the same problem of a shrinking fertility rate of women. It's the burden of a high-developed and liberal society. Nowadays, We in the western world can chose our own fate which is not at all true in most countries in the world. In countries where u simply cannot "get" birth control, or where your entire well-being depends on dozens of children whom you can put in work as early as they hit their teenage years, overpopulation will remain a pressing issue. Religions play a part in this as well.

The worst thing, however is, that the most developed countries (which usually have way less children than less developed countries), also take most of the world's resources in order to keep the high advanced lifestyle afloat.

I read somewhere that would china get as many cars per inabitant as Germany (in relation), the world would run out of metal to produce those cars. I try to live green. It's so shocking tho that we in the WEST (whatever that means historically and geographically) put drinking water in our toilets..
                        My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeonix
                          Isn't China the country where people are having kids like crazy?, I mean there are families with 30 kids and stuff and the country has like 1,3 billion population
                          Aren't you only allowed one child in China?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLamb
                            Originally posted by MrLeonix
                            Aren't you only allowed one child in China?
                            in china over 80 million people belong to the poorest in the world. Just imagine this number which is as big as the entire population of Germany, or more people than the entire population in the UK or France +20%. And China itself does belong to the richest countries in the world now.

India the same. India has the potential to surpass China in population in the coming decades. I think both countries cannot handle any more people tbh. But what can you do? I think most countries would need at least 500-750 million less people to provide for all of them in the way that Western countries provide for their populations.

Take Bangladesh for example, a country as big a Switzerland + Austria in size, has a population of over 160 million (Germany + UK + Spain combined).
                            My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by samra
                              Education.

I once saw somewhere that as female literacy increases, birth rate decreases as women become more empowered to make decisions about their bodies. Developing nations have lower literacy levels and are where most of the growth in population occurs so in theory, if we can educate the people (especially the women), then we can achieve a stabilisation of the population.
                              Yeah, education is definitely the key. I read somewhere that one of the major reasons overpopulation is such a problem in Africa is because husbands and wives look at large families as a means of escaping poverty, being able to use children as labourers instead of hiring paid help, and having more incomes coming into the house when the children get of working age. They don't take into consideration that more mouths to feed would more quickly diminish already low food supplies and that the health of each successive child may worsen, making the quality of life so dire that the chances of survival become slimmer.

Another problem with overpopulation is that consumerism is being pushed in even the developing countries with mega populations. So the per capita energy use in those third world nations are rising, and with their populations as high as they are, it's really going to wreak havoc on the Earth's energy supplies.

It's selfish of me to say this, but I'm sort of happy that I, more than likely, won't be alive in 2100. The Earth is heading to a really dark place and I don't think I'd like to be an inheritor of our planet in the 22nd century.

A wise man once wrote this:

Originally posted by Thomas Homer-Dixon
                              I cannot say enough for our astonishing adaptability and ingenuity, characteristics common to all human beings and all societies. Throughout history, pessimists have far too frequently underestimated human creativity and resourcefulness. We certainly have it within our power to produce widespread prosperity and justice on this planet. But it is not at all clear that we will use this power properly. When we look back from the year 2100, I fear we will see a period when our creations – technological, social, and ecological – outstripped our understanding and we lost control of our destiny. And we will think: if only – if only we had had the ingenuity and will to choose a different course. There is still time, I believe, to muster that ingenuity and will, but the hour is late.
                              I suspect Homer-Dixon's fears will be realized. :(
                              Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [90-86]

Comment

I don't believe in over population. This world is huge. We have the ability to manage the world's resources, but only if we unite. We can reclaim land, build our own islands, stop wasting all of the food we waste now, and simply take better care.
                                Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

What about some kind of one-policy handling in countries with high birth rates? But in a positive way (compared to how it's handled in China), which means not to punish families with multiple children, but rather reward families with no children or just one.

And what about free sterilisation/castration in the affected countries?
                                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

A major outbreak may be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by menime123
                                      I don't believe in over population. This world is huge. We have the ability to manage the world's resources, but only if we unite. We can reclaim land, build our own islands, stop wasting all of the food we waste now, and simply take better care.
                                      That also takes away the territory of various species of animals, which in the end could make them become extinct.

Comment

I study environment and honestly guys... Your posts are painful to read

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
                                          Originally posted by RayRay

I've read that the Earth is capable of withstanding 10 billion if managed adequately
                                          And how would you do that? I don't think people will give up their car and all their other luxuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy94
                                            What about some kind of one-policy handling in countries with high birth rates? But in a positive way (compared to how it's handled in China), which means not to punish families with multiple children, but rather reward families with no children or just one.

I'm sure flocks of men will be running to get their balls chopped off.....

Comment

If two people (= a woman and a man) get together, they obviously have to get two kids to get the population stable. In Germany, the average woman only gets 1.4 children, so we could actually face the problem of a shrinking population in Germany, which might not be a problem in the beginning, but what about the case if there are many old people and just very few young people?
                                              That's what those damn politicians keep on yelling. All they want is a "growing" economy. Hardly anyone up there gives a damn about the environment. They pretend to do to get voters, but they don't want to make drastic changes. Yes, it won't be easy when there are more older people, but to get the population down, there is no other way (unless you want to kill of people at a certain age...)

Comment

Originally posted by Plym
                                                The Icelanders can stay in charge of the music scene.
                                                "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

I might sound like a fascist but criminals like terrorists, child rapers and murderers should be killed. A person doesn't have the right to live if he/she takes the life of another one.
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Yess, get rid of the Swifties and Lambz.

Comment

I just finished reading the book Inferno in which overpopulation plays a big part lol.

It's definitely scary how fast the population has grown in such a short period of time.
                                                      "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
                                                        I've never realiszed that all continents except Europe start with an A (Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, Americas... Europe)
                                                        ...they all start and end with the same letters too...as long as you don't look to closely at the Americas.
                                                        101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLamb

I'm sure flocks of men will be running to get their balls chopped off.....
                                                          So far, sterilisation/castration is still fairly expensive, so people from poorer countries might not be able to afford it. It could have the major advantage that if you know that you can't take care of a child, you could still have sexual intercourses without either having to think about preservatives or the fear of getting an unwanted baby.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

you could still have sexual intercourses without either having to think about preservatives or the fear of getting an unwanted baby.
                                                            Yeah, because you only use condoms to avoid having babies

Comment

Working...
                                                            X