Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Timberlake (finally) apologizes to Britney and Janet

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLMxYbGhTno/

Too little too late but kudos for acknowledging the privilege.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

what an annoying human being as well as his music
    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

Had he released this very statement 15 years ago, I would have stood up and gained some respect for him.
      But in 2021? Like seriously.
      I guess the Britney docu shook him to his core.
      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I hope for him Janet and Britney accept that
        Overall I wish he would have done a video apologie. Like we are not talking about topics that are recent. I mean the whole thing was long overdue at this point and typed notes kinda feel too much of an easy PR-move after Framing Britney.
        Last edited by IVyoncé; Fri February 12, 2021, 18:06.

Comment

Look, it is a start... For me it will depend on what type of responsibility he takes from this, and how it leads his future actions. I find it a good post, regardless if he made himself or not. The future will tell us. I feel like we should be open to this, there is no use in shooting every apology down, cause we seriously also have to put the question forward: where will this end? We cannot trade old isms for new isms. In this whole story there should also be place for forgiveness I feel, a type of forgiveness that should not be defined by Justin in this case, but Janet and Britney herself of course and their followers. Forgiveness defined by oppressed groups, no top-down definitions. I'm all pro positive discrimination and restorations in all type of deep inequalities and axes of 'isms', I feel that's what we should strive for. Nobody is saying an apology is enough, but it is a start. Awareness is better than nothing (unless you want to commit the same atrocities). Something can only start out of awareness. You don't want to install the same system you are fighting against. And as I said restorations and different types of positive discrimination are kind of a minimum to start from.

And I agree with the statement above, a video message would have been better. It feels a bit forcerd in a sense, but benefit of the doubt for now.

From a more personal note. There are a lot of gays on this forum, even though we should not compare forms of oppressions and especially not rank them, they are a tool to help you reflect on these cases. Most of us dealt with cases of homophobia, they also left a mark on me, we can sitll see heterosexism all around us, that's all true. But punishment is not what I want for people I fell 'victim' to, I want change. From those individuals, but also from the structure we live in. And yes I'm also privileged, I live in a quite accepting society, and I work in a safe environment. That's probably one of the reasons why I feel like 'this', and I'm all pro this woke movement. I mean when it comes to racism, I cannot imagine the consequences... It is harsh, I understand the anger, all of that. Yet, I feel like these movements also have led to extreme polarisations in certain areas (of course with all best intentions), and sometimes we have to wonder what role 'we' play in these co-constructions... It is not an attack btw, it is a tough question, and of course these co-constructions become so polarized mainly because the people in power are still the oppressors. That's the real issue. Structural change is fundamental, and positive discrimination and restorations are made to tackle this. I feel like this will be so important in the upcoming years. Luckily there are also positives, but it not gonna be an easy fight. Especially now in the pandemic what I see around me, it becomes quite scary! I think what has happened in the US is just the start of this. I hope the majority can be convinced! #endrant

ps I understand people who do not agree with me on this. Your position will of course be heavily influenced by your own experiences, and rightfully so. It is just a very diffcult question, but first we have to understand what is happening I guess.
          Last edited by Michiel; Fri February 12, 2021, 18:26.
          Eudaimonia
          Last.fm
          Instagram

Comment

Didn't Britney cheat on him with that Wade guy ?

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
              Huge facepalm...
              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Huge facepalm...
                Whatever. I just dont know exactly what he is apologizing to her for.

Comment

Wish there was an eye roll emoji.
                  It's just a fling baby, fling baby, nothing more than a fling baby, fling baby.

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                    Yes and now it’s apparently slut-shaming for Justin to have written a song about it and make a video of it, or confirm he had sex with her despite her lies to the media about being a virgin.

Ultimately we are talking about a teenage relation of two adults than turn 40 in 2021.

Justin has apologised for a multitude of reasons and I’m not saying he shouldn’t, I just don’t know he needed to where Britney was concerned. He called her and told her about Cry Me A River before it happened, and she apologised for hurting him in her own song.

I am a huge Britney fan but Britney’s fandom has a way of rewriting the narrative. Britney is a lot stronger than they give her credit for and she is has not always been a victim.
                    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Artists write songs about each other all the time. Can't believe Cry me a River is being dubbed "slut shaming"
                      i mean talk about reaching.
                      I find this whole apology craze super ironic cos the people screaming that Britney deserves it are the same ones who log onto Twitter and talk crap about other female artists on the daily and have done so for years.

Comment

Again this white men shaming . It was a good intention, but he should move on the same way we should move on after all these years. Neither Jackson's nor Spears' issues have been Timberlake's faults.
                        You dare to call me crazy, have you looked around this place?
                        I should walk away.
                        Oh, I should walk away.
                        But I think I'll stay.
                        (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

The one that needs to apologise is Kevin Ferderline. He caused her so many problems. I have no idea what sort of relationship they have now (and I hope it’s a good one for the kids) nor if she’s ever even seen him since she divorced him.

But when she announced her divorce it felt like the whole world breathed a sigh of relief. It felt like we were going to get ‘the old Britney’ back and she was finally back in the driving seat.

Never in a million years did we see what happened next coming. I’ve talked before on here how bad 2007 was and how not a single person would have been surprised if she had died. Really, that’s how bad everything got and to see her in the back of the ambulance... heartbreaking.

Then of course the conservatorship happened and for a few years it was seen as a good thing because Britney was back and doing music and videos like Womanizer, which were exactly what we wanted from her.

But the whole JT episode was just standard celebrity fodder. There have been many celebrity breakups that were a 100% more public and worse than Britney and JT’s and whilst I do think he remains the real love of her life, they were too young for it to last.

#FreeBritney

Comment

I fully agree with you here, menime123!
                            You dare to call me crazy, have you looked around this place?
                            I should walk away.
                            Oh, I should walk away.
                            But I think I'll stay.
                            (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

No one is saying that it was/is his fault of Britney current situation but also saying why he is apologizing for it is kinda eh annoying. You must have been living under the rock if you think Justin didn't use Britney for his own career agenda. He knew saying stuff about their relationship would help him and his solo career take off. So maybe that's what he is apologizing for.

And let me not talk about the Janet incident...Janet career never recovered after that, while Justin got away and never apologized nor took responsibility for nipple gate!!!

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                Neither Jackson's nor Spears' issues have been Timberlake's faults.
                                This is true, but both episodes have highlighted deep rooted issues within mainstream media - and credit to Justin for pointing out the hypocrisy, especially towards the Super Bowl fiasco.

America has always had problems with displays of sexuality, strong, independent women and not to mention it’s systematic racism. I’ve often thought the Super Bowl episode was completely blown out of proportion, and Justin being criticised for being ‘forgiven’ is not actually his fault.

It was a foolish thing to do at the Super Bowl, but the backlash is just another example of the media creating ‘cancel culture’ and demonising women. The Dixie Chicks and Madonna suffered something similar in 2002/2003 for different reasons, but the principle of being cancelled for being a woman having an opinion remains the same.

Janet would have been absolutely fine had it happened at the VMAs. Both Madonna and Janet entered into a male dominated arena (football/war) and paid a price.

#FreeBritney

Comment

What I just read from him was fast and messy brainstorming... ...
                                  Top 10 - 22.02.2021.

Comment

Some of these comments..... No.
                                    It's just a fling baby, fling baby, nothing more than a fling baby, fling baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanda View Post
                                      No one is saying that it was/is his fault of Britney current situation but also saying why he is apologizing for it is kinda eh annoying. You must have been living under the rock if you think Justin didn't use Britney for his own career agenda. He knew saying stuff about their relationship would help him and his solo career take off. So maybe that's what he is apologizing for.

And let me not talk about the Janet incident...Janet career never recovered after that, while Justin got away and never apologized nor took responsibility for nipple gate!!!
                                      I was Justin’s, Britney’s and Christina’s target audience when they debuted. I lived it, I breathed it and I remember it. Justin was always going to be the breakout star from NSYNC. Like I Love You, Rock Your Body and Senorita were destined to make him a solo star - Cry Me a River is not the reason Justin has a career.

Justin has continuously said incredibly nice things about Britney despite clearly not wanting to actually talk about her.

#FreeBritney

Comment

None of the other songs you mentioned are as popular as Cry Me A River though

And if he felt that he needs to apologize then who are we to say he shouldn't?

He must have felt some guilty conscience for finally saying what he said in his post. He knows why he is doing it. And he mentioned his white privilege and what better example then nipple gate incident you want? Janet was destroyed and he got away with it!!!
                                        So I totally don't get it why are we arguing here

Comment

He must have felt some guilty conscience for finally saying what he said in his post. He knows why he is doing it. And he mentioned his white privilege and what better example then nipple gate incident you want? Janet was destroyed and he got away with it!!!
                                          Cry me a River is forgotten.

Comment

I don’t argue, I explain.

It doesn’t matter how popular ‘Cry Me A River’ is, his other singles from his debut album are huge in their own right. He is not a star because he dated or talked about Britney.

I do think there’s an element of damage control from Justin, and you know, being a 40 year old he probably accepts it wasn’t always cool to talk about an ex in public - though I maintain he has always been incredibly complimentary about Britney too.

But he is not the reason she is in a conservatorship. I’m a huge #FreeBritney fan but there is an element of writing history in Britney’s fandom to support the ‘Britney is a victim’ narrative, when Britney wasn’t always a victim.

So and whilst some people blame Justin, they conveniently forget that their relationship ended whilst she was still a star - and subsequent albums and era made her an icon along with all of the invasion that brought.

Her label, her management and even her parents are responsible for not providing adequate support during these years. The sad truth is mental health was an unknown, emerging concept 20 years ago and we didn’t understand the implications.

People were calling Britney the new Madonna and I actually think they expected Britney to have the same level of resistance. Madonna - at least publicly - has always been able to soldier on, even when the press invaded her wedding to Sean Penn (the helicopter hovered so low they struggled to hear their own vows).

Clearly she didn’t and I don’t believe that’s Justin’s fault.

#FreeBritney

Comment

You don’t apologize for a crime that you didn’t commit. Period.

Also everyone who thinks that this is about Britney's situation being his fault has missed the point.

PS: "Cry Me a River" is the most popular song from this debut and one of his signature hits and that’s a fact.
                                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

I agree that Justin's approach at the time of the breakup with Britney was not great, he used this break up as a sales argument to explode his solo career with Cry Me A River, ok . But all the singers do that right? They release a title on their breakup, it doesn't shock me .. And then excuse me but from what has always been said, it was Britney who cheated on Justin back then eh .. How could he know what would happen to Britney a few years later?

Comment

Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I don’t argue, I explain.

It doesn’t matter how popular ‘Cry Me A River’ is, his other singles from his debut album are huge in their own right. He is not a star because he dated or talked about Britney.

I do think there’s an element of damage control from Justin, and you know, being a 40 year old he probably accepts it wasn’t always cool to talk about an ex in public - though I maintain he has always been incredibly complimentary about Britney too.

But he is not the reason she is in a conservatorship. I’m a huge #FreeBritney fan but there is an element of writing history in Britney’s fandom to support the ‘Britney is a victim’ narrative, when Britney wasn’t always a victim.

So and whilst some people blame Justin, they conveniently forget that their relationship ended whilst she was still a star - and subsequent albums and era made her an icon along with all of the invasion that brought.

Her label, her management and even her parents are responsible for not providing adequate support during these years. The sad truth is mental health was an unknown, emerging concept 20 years ago and we didn’t understand the implications.

People were calling Britney the new Madonna and I actually think they expected Britney to have the same level of resistance. Madonna - at least publicly - has always been able to soldier on, even when the press invaded her wedding to Sean Penn (the helicopter hovered so low they struggled to hear their own vows).

Clearly she didn’t and I don’t believe that’s Justin’s fault.
                                                  Arguing it was a metaphor.

And I think you're missing a point here. He is not apologizing for current Britney's situation, he just coming clean of what he's done/said/used/took advantage of her name and their relationship some 20 years ago. Whatever that means to him!

And again we all can agree about Janet's situation and damage that cost her career, which is not just Justin's fault (they both share that responsibility) but he was part of it!!!

EDIT:

Basically what JeremySpears said as well.

You just cannot think of Justin Timberlake and not associate him with Britney, and that tells a lot how much role it played on his career and his success!!!

Last edited by Nanda; Fri February 12, 2021, 22:17.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X