Rihanna accused of cultural appropriation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rihanna accused of cultural appropriation

Rihanna backlash after singer poses topless for lingerie shoot wearing Ganesha necklace

Ri Ri has upset some fans after an Instagram post of her wearing silk boxers, a necklace of the Hindu god and not much else.

Rihanna has been accused of cultural appropriation after posing topless in an Instagram shot, wearing just silk boxers and a necklace featuring the Hindu god Ganesha.

The singer and designer was promoting her lingerie line Savage X Fenty, but has angered some fans by choosing the religious deity as part of her fashion apparel.

Ganesha, or Ganesh - who has the head of an elephant - is one of the best-known Hindu gods and is worshipped for his wisdom and association with success.

However, her pairing of the white beaded pendant with just a bare chest, tattoos and pants led to a backlash on social media, with one fan calling it "disrespect 101".

Another wrote: "Dear Rihanna, plz stop this nonsense. Super offensive wearing Ganesha like that. Our first god, a holy sentiment to millions of people celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi every year. Sorry Ri, u disappointed me &others u u have crossed d limits [sic]."

While a second commented: "You're wearing a deity necklace and a Murthi [the image of an idol] of my culture that's already been culturally appropriated enough. How is this OK when a person has more than enough resources to at least find out the meaning and significance of the chains and the pendant around their neck?"

Someone else questioned: "Why the Ganesh God pendant for selling lingerie?"

Others felt that Rihanna was using the religious icon for shock value, commenting: "First having a lingerie campaign in a temple. And now this... at this point she's just doing it on purpose."

It's not the first time the 32-year-old has been accused of cultural insensitivity.

In October last year, Rihanna apologised to the Muslim community for her "unintentionally offensive" use of sacred texts during another lingerie fashion show, after using a song featuring a sample from Islam's sacred Hadith texts.

After online criticism, she thanked fans for highlighting the issue, calling it an "honest, yet careless mistake".

Earlier this month, Rihanna stepped into the political arena to show her support for Indian farmers protesting in New Delhi over new agriculture laws they say will destroy their livelihoods.

The star's tweet, shared with her 101 million followers, angered the Indian government, who later criticised celebrities backing the cause on social media, claiming they were neither "accurate nor responsible".

Sky News has contacted Rihanna for comment.

https://news.sky.com/story/rihanna-b...klace-12222544

Oh dear Lord, enough.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I don't know about cultural appropriation but it is a terrible photo
      jio CHARTS NOW: 30/2/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10571206

Comment

No one said anything when it comes to 'Princess of China'. People clearly can't distinguish between paying tribute to a culture (=good) and making fun of it (=bad).
        You dare to call me crazy, have you looked around this place?
        I should walk away.
        Oh, I should walk away.
        But I think I'll stay.
        (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

Seethe I guess
          BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
          98 - OUT

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post
            I don't know about cultural appropriation but it is a terrible photo
            you must be ******* joking
            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

They are mad at her because of her farmers' protest post.
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Ridiculous, she’s hardly from a dominant culture herself.

Comment

It's ridiculous how loosely the term "cultural appropriation" is used nowadays. It's gotten to a point where as soon as someone throws in the phrase, I can barely keep reading/listening, because I know it will be another "eyeroll" moment.

Also, religious people really need to grow some thicker skin. Unless the whole world population miraculously starts worshipping the same god(s), there will always be people "disrespecting" yours. Learn to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                    No one said anything when it comes to 'Princess of China'. People clearly can't distinguish between paying tribute to a culture (=good) and making fun of it (=bad).
                    That's not true, there was definitely some (mild) uproar about it.

Comment

You can buy thise Ganesha things in every market for like a dollar. Honestly this whole cultural appropriating thing had reached new levels of ridiculousness.

Comment

She’s Rihsus so she invented everything anyway.
                        Originally posted by beredy
                        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                          Ridiculous, she’s hardly from a dominant culture herself.
                          you have to be from dominant culture?
                          nekoo.cz - follow me

Comment

Originally posted by nekoocz View Post

you have to be from dominant culture?
                            No, but I think it's generally viewed that cultural appropriation is by and large most offensive when carried out by white people, but personally I don't think Adele having cornrows is oppressive.

Comment

I don’t think cultural appropriation is a bad thing at all, so I never understand the supposed outrage at things like this.
                              Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

you must be ******* joking
                                the pose is slightly awkward
                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Oh FFS, she's hardly putting a red dot on her head and talking like Apu is she? The Internet is full of snowflakes.

Comment

This cultural appropriation BS is coming back to bite anyone. Culture is meant to be shared, that is the definition of culture.

Honestly fed up with this over sensitive thing. Claiming that only people of certain background can do and wear certain things is nothing more than censorship. You don't patent culture.

Can we focus on things that matter? This type of things really only hurts the oppressed as it put the focus on useless things.

Guess what: the color of your skin does not grant you special access to anything. Neither who your great grandparents were. Neither your origin country.And that should be a rule for everyone and everything as longas there is respect and appreciation.
                                    ​​​​​​ Stop policing individuality.
                                    ​​​​​
                                    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Okay just my two cents usually I don't get why cultural appropriation is even a thing (I'm talking about someone wearing outfits from other cultures, etc.) cause I agree with DnBLover that cultures are meant to be shared but in Rihanna's case, I guess it's more of a religion thing rather than a 'cultural' one. Every religion holds their value differently with each other and I guess in Hindu, it's a bit insensitive to (mis)use their God figure as an attribute. I remember there was this K-Pop group (BLACKPINK) that had to edit their video because there was a Ganesha statue in it. So, idk.

Comment

So yeah, my point is I think this case is not really a 'cultural appropriation', it's more of a religion insensitivity (?) I guess. If she had wore the necklace 'respectfully', I don't think people would have problems with it. Cause I believe they didn't with Beyonce in the "Hymn for the Weekend" video. That's just my opinion though.

Comment

I guess it depends on the context. I'm thinking about how Germans are portrayed in some shows: Do I really enjoy watching Germans being portrayed as Nazis or ones with loud language? Not so much. When it comes to drinking beer or eating sausages: Of course, not every German drinks masses of beer or eats a dozen of sausages a day, but I can live with it and Germany is actually known for producing great beer and sausages.
                                          So yeah, I'd come back to my original statement: Paying tribute to great things of a culture is totally fine, making fun of it... maybe in a strictly comedic context... rather not.
                                          You dare to call me crazy, have you looked around this place?
                                          I should walk away.
                                          Oh, I should walk away.
                                          But I think I'll stay.
                                          (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

Originally posted by abi View Post
                                            Okay just my two cents usually I don't get why cultural appropriation is even a thing (I'm talking about someone wearing outfits from other cultures, etc.) cause I agree with DnBLover that cultures are meant to be shared but in Rihanna's case, I guess it's more of a religion thing rather than a 'cultural' one. Every religion holds their value differently with each other and I guess in Hindu, it's a bit insensitive to (mis)use their God figure as an attribute. I remember there was this K-Pop group (BLACKPINK) that had to edit their video because there was a Ganesha statue in it. So, idk.
                                            That might be true, but as long as cheap Ganesha necklaces exist, they will be worn as an accessory. What do the people expect? To me getting upset about stuff like that is utterly pointless. I can understand demanding a certain respect from non-believing outsiders when it comes to entering temples, shrines or other "holy" places, but this?

Comment

Working...
                                            X