Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Boris Johnson referred to police (AGAIN) over potential Covid rule breaches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Thombus View Post
    What's the betting that the Sue Gray report is mostly redacted due to the "ongoing Met investigation"?
    Called it.

    Comment


    • Do you guys think Boris will be kicked out/step down before the 2023 election? I think he'll end up burying this controversy and act like nothing happened, and by then some voters will have forgotten all about that.
      Find me here:

      https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89

      Comment


      • It seems Joe Lycett did something.

        https://www.instagram.com/p/CZRx4bAo...dium=copy_link
        Find me here:

        https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89

        Comment




        • I like him an awful lot.

          Comment


          • Sue Gray report finds there were 'failures of leadership and judgment by No 10



            Sue Gray's conclusion: 'Significant learning' needed
            The gatherings within the scope of this investigation are spread over a 20-month period – a period that has been unique in recent times in terms of the complexity and breadth of the demands on public servants and indeed the general public.

            The whole of the country rose to the challenge. Ministers, special advisers and the Civil Service, of which I am proud to be a part, were a key and dedicated part of that national effort.

            However, as I have noted, a number of these gatherings should not have been allowed to take place or to develop in the way that they did. There is significant learning to be drawn from these events which must be addressed immediately across Government. This does not need to wait for the police investigations to be concluded.

            https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...accine-brexit/


            FULL INITIAL REPORT:
            https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...d_restrictions
            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

            Comment


            • Now it just depends on how his fellow Tories react. I see this as a stern telling off and that's about it unfortunately. No doubt the met investigation will fizzle into nothing too.

              Comment


              • Frankly, Boris should resign - a party within the No 10 flat is being investigated by police, despite telling parliament last year that there was no party.

                Tensions have been rising within the Tory party as to Boris’ handling of the pandemic anyway, so now they have a real opportunity to oust him.

                He has lied and cheated his way through his premiership and everyone knows it but him. If they replace him now a new PM will have chance to prove themselves before the next election.

                The question is who. I don’t like Sunak - he thinks taxation is the answer to everything. Raab wouldn’t be too bad but I fear the rest think he’s a wet blanket.
                I have a bad feeling about this.

                Comment


                • What I didn't know was that a hastily called leadership contest (via the "1922 Committee" could possibly be very damaging as you can apparently only play that card once and must then wait for at least 12 months to pass before any other leadership contest.

                  Boris does need to go but we can't afford for the situation to be f'd up.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                    What I didn't know was that a hastily called leadership contest (via the "1922 Committee" could possibly be very damaging as you can apparently only play that card once and must then wait for at least 12 months to pass before any other leadership contest.

                    Boris does need to go but we can't afford for the situation to be f'd up.
                    But this arguably shouldnt be an issue? We certainly should expect the next Prime Minister to hold office for more than 12 months.
                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bm08 View Post

                      But this arguably shouldnt be an issue? We certainly should expect the next Prime Minister to hold office for more than 12 months.
                      That's not my point though.

                      My point is that if you called the vote tomorrow with the 1922 Committee, say prior to the Met Police's findings and only 80% of the required Tory MPs backed the vote - it wouldn't go anywhere. However, if in a couple of weeks the Met Police's findings did come out and they were damaging and that suddenly emboldened the other 20% of the required Tory MPs to vote in favour of a leadership contest, you've lost your chance for 12 months unless Boris resigns of his own accord...so timing is everything if there is indeed going to be a battle for the leadership that occurs on the back of the 1922 Committee.

                      Comment


                      • Yeah, Teresa May won her vote of no confidence but still ended up stepping down over Brexit. Apparently Boris has won the tories over and there won’t be a no confidence vote.
                        I have a bad feeling about this.

                        Comment


                        • I honestly can't recall why so many Tories rebelled against May? Dare I say, I think the fact she is a woman spurred them on a bit. Boris has always been a charlatan, one of the boys. It's a very exclusive club and they're fine with him being the puppet. The report today was nothing other than "we already knew that". Doesn't take a senior civil servant to say they shouldn't have parties during lockdown - no shit, Sherlock.

                          The whole thing will fizzle out as the met continues its investigation, which inevitably will come to nothing and BoJo will fire out god knows how many policies to make good of his manifesto whilst the public forget and simultaneously face an unprecedented rise in living costs that'll be the real pandemic of this entire pandemic.

                          Stop the world, I want to get off.

                          Comment


                          • Oh I see!

                            I think that those who are inclined to vote out Boris wont need the Met report. But I understand how delicate the situation is and even moving one or two votes could be the deciding factor.
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

                            Comment


                            • I love Joe Lycett, he's one of my favourite people.
                              THIS WEEKS TOP 5
                              Olivia Dean | Harry Styles | Moby | Lana Del Rey | Angie Stone

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                Oh I see!

                                I think that those who are inclined to vote out Boris wont need the Met report. But I understand how delicate the situation is and even moving one or two votes could be the deciding factor.
                                Possibly, the Met report is just one example of something that could be a difference maker (but probably won't be).

                                Comment




                                • One of Sir Kier’s better speeches in a long time, just lacks that killer blow at the end.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                                    I honestly can't recall why so many Tories rebelled against May? Dare I say, I think the fact she is a woman spurred them on a bit. Boris has always been a charlatan, one of the boys. It's a very exclusive club and they're fine with him being the puppet. The report today was nothing other than "we already knew that". Doesn't take a senior civil servant to say they shouldn't have parties during lockdown - no shit, Sherlock.

                                    The whole thing will fizzle out as the met continues its investigation, which inevitably will come to nothing and BoJo will fire out god knows how many policies to make good of his manifesto whilst the public forget and simultaneously face an unprecedented rise in living costs that'll be the real pandemic of this entire pandemic.

                                    Stop the world, I want to get off.
                                    It was absolutely because she was a woman. The men thought they could get a better Brexit deal so stole the leadership. Admittedly she did lose Tory seats when she called an election she didn’t need to, but they were plotting before that anyway.
                                    I have a bad feeling about this.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                                      I honestly can't recall why so many Tories rebelled against May? Dare I say, I think the fact she is a woman spurred them on a bit. Boris has always been a charlatan, one of the boys. It's a very exclusive club and they're fine with him being the puppet. The report today was nothing other than "we already knew that". Doesn't take a senior civil servant to say they shouldn't have parties during lockdown - no shit, Sherlock.

                                      The whole thing will fizzle out as the met continues its investigation, which inevitably will come to nothing and BoJo will fire out god knows how many policies to make good of his manifesto whilst the public forget and simultaneously face an unprecedented rise in living costs that'll be the real pandemic of this entire pandemic.

                                      Stop the world, I want to get off.
                                      That was probably the main reason, yes.


                                      +1 stop the world pls
                                      Find me here:

                                      https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89

                                      Comment


                                      • So Boris is in the Ukraine and has announced a 88m aid fund. Yet my NI contributions will increase because we can’t afford stuff apparently.
                                        I have a bad feeling about this.

                                        Comment




                                        • See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

                                          Comment


                                          • What is up with Nadine Dorries? She is defending him like, well, like she’s utterly besotted with him and completely oblivious to his faults.
                                            I have a bad feeling about this.

                                            Comment


                                            • Price cap for energy has gone up 54% (with average household set to see an increase of 693 per year in their energy bills).

                                              Taken together with the NI increase in April and the general cost of living increases in areas like food and transport, it means that even the lowest earners in society will probably have to find an additional 100+ per month to cover these increases. It’s a really shocking state of affairs, I can’t imagine what it must feel like to have to choose between being warm and eating - in the world’s sixth richest economy…shocking.

                                              Comment


                                              • It’s absolutely insane. I understand why it’s increased and that the energy companies have their hands tied, but it’s still absolutely insane. We really need to invest heavily in becoming energy self sufficient - the fact we use gas to make 40% of the UK’s electricity is madness. Nuclear is the only real way forward for Britain.
                                                I have a bad feeling about this.

                                                Comment


                                                • It’s a scandal that we’ve got to this point as a country, we are going to have millions more in poverty while the billionaires experience huge leaps in wealth.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                                    It’s absolutely insane. I understand why it’s increased and that the energy companies have their hands tied, but it’s still absolutely insane. We really need to invest heavily in becoming energy self sufficient - the fact we use gas to make 40% of the UK’s electricity is madness. Nuclear is the only real way forward for Britain.
                                                    There's enough shale gas under the UK to keep us energy self sufficient for decades - but the greens and the nimbys won't let us use it.

                                                    Agree with you about nuclear - but the greens don't like that either!

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X