X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevyy
    Site Supporter
    • 14 May 2005

Originally posted by menime123
    Labour had no choice - I’d imagine a few more MPs had considered leaving. Just over 4 weeks and we have absolutely no idea what the future is for the country. I just hope May can pull Brexit off without delay - with or without a deal - so we can just get on with everything.
    a no-deal brexit will keep brexit a pressing and present topic for the UK for the next 30 years or so.
    My Chart

Comment

• Wayne
      Site Owner
      • 07 Sep 2006

Labour are backing a second referendum but I read on Twitter that they're refusing to commit to "Remain" as one of the options.

I despise politics these days, it makes me irate just thinking about the sheer incompetence of our politicians and how broken our political system is.

Comment

• heppolo
        Legend
        • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by Wayne
        Labour are backing a second referendum but I read on Twitter that they're refusing to commit to "Remain" as one of the options.

I despise politics these days, it makes me irate just thinking about the sheer incompetence of our politicians and how broken our political system is.
        Even if the Referendum originally was a Tory inside job, the Brexit situation eventually pushed a reset button on the whole political system.
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• aRat
          Legend
          • 06 Feb 2018

Originally posted by KEY9481
          Poor MenInMe.

Hopefully Brits came to their senses and will vote based on logic and rationality instead of hate and ignorance this time around.
          DUA LIPA - RIHANNA
          98 - OUT

Comment

• Artoo
            • 01 May 2005

Rodent, you have absolutely no idea what you’re even quoting, do you?

There is no second referendum.
            I don't need no good advice, I'm already wasted​.

Comment

• aRat
              Legend
              • 06 Feb 2018

okurr just keep clinging to that crystal ball of yours just like you cling to all these men
              DUA LIPA - RIHANNA
              98 - OUT

Comment

• heppolo
                Legend
                • 17 May 2009

UK politics is like Ukraine in Eurovision.

Comment

• Rihab
                  Superstar
                  • 18 Oct 2010

Corbyn should offer May support for her deal, but ask for a second referendum in return. And May should accept. She's not getting her deal through parliament with Tory and DUP votes alone. And the new independent group is also making no-deal virtually impossible. So let people choose between the deal and remain.
                  l'amore vero è pace, non tormento

Comment

• Artoo
                    • 01 May 2005

Originally posted by Rihab
                    Corbyn should offer May support for her deal, but ask for a second referendum in return. And May should accept. She's not getting her deal through parliament with Tory and DUP votes alone. And the new independent group is also making no-deal virtually impossible. So let people choose between the deal and remain.
                    Except there is nothing legally binding to prevent no-deal even if everyone objects to it. If you don’t vote for the existing deal then you’re effective voting no deal. There are no alternatives and as it stands, we leave in less than 1 month.

Comment

• heppolo
                      Legend
                      • 17 May 2009

some tasteful opportunism

Comment

• Artoo
                        • 01 May 2005

So there’s talk May might actually pull it off. I’m not convinced, but I hope we don’t delay Brexit so they the real work can begin.

Comment

• Kpop
                          Personal Assistant
                          • 17 Oct 2016

Originally posted by heppolo

some tasteful opportunism
                          I wonder if Farage's march will be passing the Nissan factory

Comment

• heppolo
                            Legend
                            • 17 May 2009

In his recent interview, Jeremy Hunt admitted that Tory MPs could be given a free vote next week on whether or not to approve a no-deal Brexit.
                            The mess continues.

Comment

• jio
                              Legend
                              • 15 Jul 2009

Well deal or no deal Brits should understand by now that any benefits from Brexit will appear down the line, say in 5-10 years time. There will be no immediate benefits whatsoever. And that means that no matter what will happen, media will portray Brexit as a massive failure, the UK as a state close to failing and the EU the fountain of eternal wellbeing no doubt (ignoring of course the negative effects a no-deal Brexit will have on smaller EU economies such as Ireland's whose interests the EU is still supposed to be representing). But that is to be expected, the real interesting thing to watch is how the UK (and in comparison the EU) will be doing in 2030 or so and whether Brexit will be viewed as a story to inspire or a story to regret by that time...
                              jio CHARTS NOW:09/04/2024: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post11345288

Comment

• heppolo
                                Legend
                                • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by jio
                                Well deal or no deal Brits should understand by now that any benefits from Brexit will appear down the line, say in 5-10 years time. There will be no immediate benefits whatsoever. And that means that no matter what will happen, media will portray Brexit as a massive failure, the UK as a state close to failing and the EU the fountain of eternal wellbeing no doubt (ignoring of course the negative effects a no-deal Brexit will have on smaller EU economies such as Ireland's whose interests the EU is still supposed to be representing). But that is to be expected, the real interesting thing to watch is how the UK (and in comparison the EU) will be doing in 2030 or so and whether Brexit will be viewed as a story to inspire or a story to regret by that time...
                                It depends on whether the aftermath can cause a healthy restructuring of British political system or just downright chaos and a succession of hung parliaments (after a LibDem/Con coalition government going south for the former and almost wiping LibDems out of existence and DUP almost holding Tories to ransom for several years now, I doubt there might be another coalition government)

Comment

• jio
                                  Legend
                                  • 15 Jul 2009

Well it is a huge change and it did come about for all the wrong reasons but people seem to miss the historical significance of it all. All the discussion is about what stupid thing politician x or y may have said or done or whether the british gdp will fall by 1 or 5% the next year or if the Slovene worker will be able to stay or not and forget that something much bigger is at play here and that is essentially the structure of the post-war order in Europe.
                                  jio CHARTS NOW:09/04/2024: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post11345288

Comment

• aRat
                                    Legend
                                    • 06 Feb 2018

Britain's entitlement is through the roof (surprise surprise). Have fun with that No Deal Brexit, ladies and gents.
                                    Last edited by aRat; Sun March 10, 2019, 16:27.
                                    DUA LIPA - RIHANNA
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

• jio
                                      Legend
                                      • 15 Jul 2009

That video however forgets a major point: that you start a negotiation with maximalist positions and gradually give up ground until you reach an agreement. The UK does not have to have an agreement identical to any of the existing ones with non-EU members. But it does have to give up on at least some of its opening positions and the same has to be done by the EU as well (since it is in the interest of at least a few members states not to have a no deal Brexit). So in that sense the above video's main message is flawed...

Comment

• Artoo
                                        • 01 May 2005

The shit, ladies and gentlemen, is about to hit the fan.

Comment

• Wayne
                                          Site Owner
                                          • 07 Sep 2006

Crikey, watching BBC News - Brexit feels like a million miles away.

Comment

Working...