X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo
    Under Cameron the Tory party moved towards the left a bit in a similar way that Blair moved the Labour Party towards the right. I never voted for Cameron, but I wasn't against his government and welcomed some of the changes he made and was open to his ideas for the future.
    It may seem strange, but the coalition government with LibDems was probably the best part of the whole Cameron time as a PM, LibDems managed to move Tories towards the centre and to make them negotiate with others which wasn't exactly the way Conservatives behave in power.

I'm in favour of coelitions. Everyone has to work together and get on. But not if that means the Scottish Scorpion gets into power.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Under Cameron the Tory party moved towards the left a bit in a similar way that Blair moved the Labour Party towards the right. I never voted for Cameron, but I wasn't against his government and welcomed some of the changes he made and was open to his ideas for the future.
    It may seem strange, but the coalition government with LibDems was probably the best part of the whole Cameron time as a PM, LibDems managed to move Tories towards the centre and to make them negotiate with others which wasn't exactly the way Conservatives behave in power.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Turns out that May just isn't Thatcher in terms of election campaigns, her bland approach is closer to what John Major offered in 1992
    She has been a disappointment in as far as campaigning goes, I must agree - she's been a good PM so far but she just hasn't managed to speak to me like Cameron did when he was campaigning or like Thatcher would've been able too had I been around when she was PM or had she been around when I could vote.

I will be voting for my local Conservative MP tomorrow Jane Hunt which is a vote for Theresa May - there are elements of the Tory manifesto and May's promises that I really don't like [I never want to see the return of fox hunting for e.g.]. But she has barely kept my vote this time around, she's done a lousy job of campaigning.

Exactly how has she been a good PM? Honestly, tell me the good things she has done since becoming PM. The woman kept her head down and as far as I can tell, achieved very little.

On a personal note I dislike how she has a consistent record of opposition on LGBTQ rights. I find it interesting her voting only changed once her party came back to power and she began rising through the ranks. Even based on recent actions, she changes her stance on issues when she finds herself on the unpopular side of opinion.

May however gives me no confidence. I do not believe that she has confidence even in herself. She lacks charisma and charm, and I find those qualities important when running a government - when she was with President Trump I could help but think she looked a little barn mouse - timid and unnerved and completely ill equipped to deal with an egomaniac looking to dominate (which he did).

I could even overlook that if we weren't in the political conundrum that were are. Britain is looking to take steps away from Europe and place ourselves onto the global map as an individual power. May does not strike me as the sort of PM that could achieve greatness for Britain in Brexit talks or strike me as the sort of PM who can hold authority on a world stage.

I think it unjust to compare her to Thatcher on grounds that they were both women. But May is only the 4th Tory PM in my lifetime and by far the biggest wet blanket. Out of all 4 PM's, Thatcher commanded respect with her every fibre of her being.

You might not like what Maggie did, but you can't deny she got the job done. She had a vision for Britain and she gave her absolute all for it. Blair and Cameron were of the same mould, but from a cheaper cast.

Still, I would rather have a PM with an unshakeable vision of the future and venomously hate them for it than a PM that I cannot respect as a person, let alone as PM. Cameron angered the life out of me, which was an impassioned response to his politics. I fear May simply makes people tune out all together.

I will be voting Labour. I dislike Corbyn but can get on board with his vision. Not sure how he'll pay for it or manage to pull it off, but at least he has a vision of a future I would like to see. Nothing good can come from Teresa May. I ask myself "What does she bring to the table?" and every time I draw a huge blank.

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied
    [youtube:3gncuv54]o9cdhaBfre0[/youtube:3gncuv54]

The woman is a complete and utter mess, how anyone can vote for someone like her I will never understand.
    She's just going to keep cutting until there's nothing left. The healthcare in The Uk is a farce. The cuts to the police are a joke, funny how these terrorist attacks have happened since these cuts were implemented.
    I read, and I have no idea how true it is, that the Manchester bomber was reported 5 times to the police but they didn't have the funds and resources necessary to investigate properly. Is that true?
    And the fact she actually said she'd change human rights laws is unbelievable, that would be very slippery slope to head down.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Turns out that May just isn't Thatcher in terms of election campaigns, her bland approach is closer to what John Major offered in 1992
    She has been a disappointment in as far as campaigning goes, I must agree - she's been a good PM so far but she just hasn't managed to speak to me like Cameron did when he was campaigning or like Thatcher would've been able too had I been around when she was PM or had she been around when I could vote.

I will be voting for my local Conservative MP tomorrow Jane Hunt which is a vote for Theresa May - there are elements of the Tory manifesto and May's promises that I really don't like [I never want to see the return of fox hunting for e.g.]. But she has barely kept my vote this time around, she's done a lousy job of campaigning.

Leave a comment:

• hun
    replied
    I added a poll. Hopefully Wayne doesn't tell me off. I included just the two main parties.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    The entire election has been a non-event in all fairness. I'm was pleasantly surprised at how Corbyn has stepped up, but I'm not sure he can deliver on his policies, and May has changed her mind so much and left many new policies unmentioned (such as scrapping the ban on fox hunting) that I'm not sure anyone knows what she stands for.

I feel like very little has been said about Brexit when this election is going to determine Brexit agreements. That's what I'd have thought people would have been keen to vote about.

But honestly, I think everyone is bored of politics at the moment and would like a year without something major having to be decided. For that reason alone, I expect quite a low turn out, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AceReject
    replied
    Originally posted by thankfulforkelly
    Sturgeon isn't trying to take over the world and create a master race.
    I wouldn't put it past her tbh.

[youtube:l4xe30lz]Vtpk0dH9LJM[/youtube:l4xe30lz]

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    People are stupid to vote for neo-Thatcherists and expect a different outcome

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    13:00 update...

Conservatives: +240 seats
    Labour: -177 seats
    Liberal Democrats: -31 seats
    UKIP: -68 seats
    The Scottish National Party: +4 seats
    Plaid Cymru: +24 seats

Labour have lost control of Glasgow - an area in which they have previously enjoyed huge domination.

In terms of councils, the Conservatives have control of 10 councils [an increase of 5] whereas Labour have control of 5 [a decrease of 3].

UKIP have been wiped off the board - they have lost every seat they were defending bar one.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    At 07:00 BST, across the 21 English and Welsh counties that had fully declared results, the Tories had control of 10 authorities and 542 seats, a net gain of 147.

Labour had control of four authorities and 368 seats, a net loss of 119. The Lib Dems had 134 seats, a net loss of 24. UKIP had failed to win any seats, a net loss of 41, while the Greens had picked up five.
    Numbers changing all the time but so far, Conservatives are hugely up and UKIP have been completely wiped out having lost every seat they were defending!

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by theguardian
    Conventional wisdom suggests the Tories could bleed Remain votes to the Lib Dems. Our detailed data analysis suggests this idea could be very wrong indeed

Lib Dems shouldn't count on Remain votes - the data looks bleak

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Originally posted by menime123
    Back on topic, but this election seems to be a non-event thus far. I've said before but I'll say it again - US politics is far more interesting. Yes, it's a vicious media circus over there, but at least it gets people interested and involved!
    US politics has a better run up - their politicians are so much more invested in campaigning.

However, nothing beats the "on the night" feeling of UK politics - for the last few general elections, I've stayed up to watch it each time and it is enthralling.
    Considering this is a snap election - the first in decades - I'm shocked at how low key it all is. I love election night, and normally spend the night on the sofa dipping in and out of news (as I wake loads each night). Glad David Dimbleby is coming back for one last time, after declaring last year's was his last.

I also love they the first few results are always north east England who always vote Labour. So I normally settle in for some shut eye with Labour in the lead

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Back on topic, but this election seems to be a non-event thus far. I've said before but I'll say it again - US politics is far more interesting. Yes, it's a vicious media circus over there, but at least it gets people interested and involved!
    US politics has a better run up - their politicians are so much more invested in campaigning.

However, nothing beats the "on the night" feeling of UK politics - for the last few general elections, I've stayed up to watch it each time and it is enthralling.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    That's cool, you're entitled to your opinion.

But anyone who threatens the British identity, believes their singular nationality is greater than a collective entity and refuses to accept democracy in favour of their personal political opinions - in my opinion, shares similarities with Hitler.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by thankfulforkelly
    Stop referring to Nicola Sturgeon as "the little hitler woman" :-?
    No.

I cannot stand the woman's ego, her politics, her views nor her approach.

She is a nationalist that believes being Scottish is better than being British, and will stop at nothing to achieve an independent Scotland.

I am a royalist and firmly believe that should an independent Scotland exist, that it would only be the first step towards Scotland becoming a republic (they object to Elizabeth II on the grounds Scotland never had an Elizabeth I).

I do not support nationalistic politics of any individual member of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The fact the SNP gained such traction saddens me deeply, but am thrilled to discover it is waining.

Any threat to a United Kingdom is the devil as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully, we soldier on and will over come this internal threat to democracy.

I would however suggest you do the google and learn the history of the SNP and discover their links to Nazi Germany though.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    The debates are what got Gordon Brown into trouble - Cameron exuded confidence whilst Brown appeared to flounder. May isn't going to walk into that trap - especially if that little hitler woman demands involvement.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    strange that May calls for June, it has that weird wordplay

Not sure she wants people to associate the election as being 'after May'

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Not sure she wants people to associate the election as being 'after May'

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    I hear Labour is rising in the polls. Guess May's campaign strategy of not having a campaign and refusing to face the competition (brought to you by #Merkel2013 and #Hillary2016) isn't working.
    Even Merkel agreed to have two debates this year although she hates answering questions / talk to voters.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Please can David Miliband make a return to British politics? He'd sort it all out.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    ^I mean, for Labour it would have been better to have a hated but charismatic leader than the dullest ever backbencher who may have been right on lots of issues but just couldn't get his act together. And even if Blair is Tory-light he is still better than going full Tory.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X