Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heppolo
    replied
    That walk across the floor during the PM speech was quite a slap in the face for Boris.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Boris has been defeated in the Commons and is now seeking to bring forward an early general election.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post

Did I not know what 'defect' means and confuse it with 'defecate' for a second? Maybe.

Still newsworthy though.
    Welp that island has been defecating on democracy, sanity and brain functionality for quite some time now so it's basically the same

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Brexit: Tory MP defects ahead of crucial no-deal vote

Conservative MP Phillip Lee has defected to the Liberal Democrats ahead of a showdown between Boris Johnson and Tory rebels over Brexit.

Dr Lee, the MP for Bracknell, took his seat on the opposition benches as the PM addressed the Commons.
    His defection means Boris Johnson no longer has a working majority in the House of Commons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49570682
    Did I not know what 'defect' means and confuse it with 'defecate' for a second? Maybe.

Still newsworthy though.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    glad the people are protesting though

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Ugh the old lizard always being useless

Just when I thought the us was the most effed up country with politics, the U.K. says hold my gin

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    BUT... leaving the EU is the most difficult decision the UK will have to make since WW2 in my opinion. And the Queen must have an opinion on the issue as well, especially since it is so important for the future of the country - for its well-being.

In the end, her YES could be interpreted as a sign of support for a Brexit without a deal with the EU... which is opposed by almost everyone in the nation, except a few hardcore conservative MPs and Boris Johnson - the new prime-minister of 4 weeks or so.

I think it would have been perfectly fine if she had addressed the nation and the government in her wisdom, telling them to really start pursuing the best option for the future and the country, scolding their inability to put the nation first.

I have to say that I am a little bit disappointed by her yes. She must know and be well aware of all the lies the leave campaign has promoted and she must have an opinion about it too. A motherly word, from the nations "mother" would have been well appreciated by the British people and the world - I assume.
    You literally don't understand anything.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

Just to remind you about the pivotal book written by the Rees-Mogg's dad.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Kpop View Post
    Oh the irony of how an unelected Prime Minister had to ask an unelected monarch to suspend a democractically elected Parliament, which was planned by an unelected bureaucrat (Dominic Cummings senior advisor to the PM)
    And on top of this Gove refuses to confirm that the Government will comply with any law passed to stop no deal

And they said that the EU was undemocratic and that we needed to take back control!
    welp when you put it like that...

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    Boris is making an announcement any minute - general election tipped for 14th October.
    Boris chaos.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Oh no announcement of an election after all, he just reckons we’ll get a deal in the October summit now. He doesn’t want an election but keeps banging on about police, education and infrastructure - all smoke and mirrors.

The chants of “stop the coup” and boos were so loud

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Boris is making an announcement any minute - general election tipped for 14th October.

Leave a comment:

• Kpop
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    the queen is to blame bc she agreed to dissolve the parliament... an institution she must protect... she will have to abdicate after this... I assume the fallout will be sth she cannot survive. Scotland will secede after this... There is no doubt in my mind.

Boris Johnson will go down in history as the one man who was able to kill off the monarchy and democracy.
    Oh the irony of how an unelected Prime Minister had to ask an unelected monarch to suspend a democractically elected Parliament, which was planned by an unelected bureaucrat (Dominic Cummings senior advisor to the PM)
    And on top of this Gove refuses to confirm that the Government will comply with any law passed to stop no deal

And they said that the EU was undemocratic and that we needed to take back control!
    Last edited by Kpop; Mon September 2, 2019, 19:09.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Protests up and down the country yesterday in dozens of cities, with people chanting “no one voted for Boris”, “stop the coup” and “shame on you”... great to see so many people turn out but in reality, these protests achieve absolutely nothing as we’re powerless.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    The Queen could’ve said no but she did the right thing by saying yes, as much as it pains me to say it - if she’d of said no, that would’ve represented a constitutional crisis much greater than any element of the Brexit process.
    BUT... leaving the EU is the most difficult decision the UK will have to make since WW2 in my opinion. And the Queen must have an opinion on the issue as well, especially since it is so important for the future of the country - for its well-being.

In the end, her YES could be interpreted as a sign of support for a Brexit without a deal with the EU... which is opposed by almost everyone in the nation, except a few hardcore conservative MPs and Boris Johnson - the new prime-minister of 4 weeks or so.

I think it would have been perfectly fine if she had addressed the nation and the government in her wisdom, telling them to really start pursuing the best option for the future and the country, scolding their inability to put the nation first.

I have to say that I am a little bit disappointed by her yes. She must know and be well aware of all the lies the leave campaign has promoted and she must have an opinion about it too. A motherly word, from the nations "mother" would have been well appreciated by the British people and the world - I assume.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    The Queen could’ve said no but she did the right thing by saying yes, as much as it pains me to say it - if she’d of said no, that would’ve represented a constitutional crisis much greater than any element of the Brexit process.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    the queen is to blame bc she agreed to dissolve the parliament... an institution she must protect... she will have to abdicate after this... I assume the fallout will be sth she cannot survive. Scotland will secede after this... There is no doubt in my mind.

Boris Johnson will go down in history as the one man who was able to kill off the monarchy and democracy.

Leave a comment:

• Kaloki
    replied
    Don't agree with it at all, but even more annoyed people on social media are blaming the Queen. She is just a symbol nowadays and holds no power (as it should be). She's literally not allowed to say no the government.

The idea that somebody should be "royalty" because of the family they are born into is the most absolutely undemocratic medieval idea so in many ways I think would be even worse if the Queen had somehow said no. Then we would be in the situation of one single old woman making unilateral political decisions for a whole country.

While I think a second referendum would be the best way out, I'm actually doubtful it would return a different result. Perhaps best thing would be to agree with EU no deal Brexit, but in 6 months time to give both sides time for further preparations.

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    What the ****!?

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    If anyone was going to get away with this, it was Boris.
    Plus that ridiculous Rees-Mogg dude I had predicted to become quite powerful a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    If anyone was going to get away with this, it was Boris.

Protesters are gathering in London, rallied by Owen Jones.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
    The role of the Queen is pretty much apolitical though, isn't it? I doubt she had much choice in the matter.
    And that is exactly why she should've denied the request. She assisted an unelected PM in his effort to circumvent the will of the people by suspending the parliament elected by the people. It's a blatant disrespect of democracy.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    The role of the Queen is pretty much apolitical though, isn't it? I doubt she had much choice in the matter.

It's really the hubris of Johnson to make the request in the first place.

I'm still not sure what it means. Does Parliament still have time to put up a vote before it's suspended?

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Brexit: Queen consents to suspension of parliament for five weeks

Further proof that royalty and especially this queen are completely useless. As long as they get to cling to their privileges, they're okay with democracy being dismantled before their eyes.

A president would've stopped this. Complicit!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Argh, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn are the political elite in the UK - how depressing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X