Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has resigned, new PM set to be confirmed on 5 September

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Let’s imagine he does lose… who would take his place?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
      Let’s imagine he does lose… who would take his place?
      I think it would end up being between Sunak and Javid, though I’d prefer Raab. But it depends if any of the backbenchers are going to push anyone forward, like they did Boris.
      Straight white men rule everything around me

      Comment


      • He’ll win, there’s no getting rid of this cockroach.

        Comment


        • Only 54 letters were required to trigger the vote, but
          180 MPs will need to vote against him in order for Boris to leave.
          Straight white men rule everything around me

          Comment


          • I'm sure we'll have Boris for another 2 years.....

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ludichris View Post
              I'm sure we'll have Boris for another 2 years.....
              I don’t think he’ll go today but I don’t think he’ll make it to the next general election - his polls are pretty bad, the public isn’t actual with him anymore, and with the cost of living crisis only going to worsen over the next two years, it’s unlikely he’s going to re-win favour.

              The Tories need a rebranding and that means a new leader come the next election. But I’m guessing today isn’t the day to do it.
              Straight white men rule everything around me

              Comment


              • BBC reporting only 130 MPs have publicly stated they support Boris…
                Straight white men rule everything around me

                Comment


                • I'm quietly optimistic he'll lose. Everything I read says otherwise but stranger things have happened. His "I'll lead us to victory" speech earlier to me was a bit of a faux pas considering his peers literally saw the GP boo his presence at the platty joobs.

                  Comment


                  • The sense of revenge Teresa May must be feeling though
                    Straight white men rule everything around me

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                      BBC reporting only 130 MPs have publicly stated they support Boris…
                      Daily Mail reporting 157 have confirmed they support Boris and Reuters confirm 160. I think he’s done enough to stay in power - but there will be 100+ who vote against him.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Wayne View Post

                        Daily Mail reporting 157 have confirmed they support Boris and Reuters confirm 160. I think he’s done enough to stay in power - but there will be 100+ who vote against him.
                        Yeah, I’m expecting him to win this. But this has got to be the start of the end.
                        Straight white men rule everything around me

                        Comment


                        • 211 in favour and 148 against.

                          Comment


                          • That’s a hell of a low win.
                            Straight white men rule everything around me

                            Comment


                            • Eugh.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                That’s a hell of a low win.
                                Yep, I actually think he has done worse than I expected.

                                Still he stays in, there are a lot of Tory MPs keeping quiet over party-gate, who don't want to get drawn into it for self-incriminating reasons, I'm sure.
                                1 SG Lewis |2 Alok |3 Vlossom |4 Gok Wan |5 Beyonce

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

                                  Yep, I actually think he has done worse than I expected.

                                  Still he stays in, there are a lot of Tory MPs keeping quiet over party-gate, who don't want to get drawn into it for self-incriminating reasons, I'm sure.
                                  I was thinking a loss by maybe 100, 120 max.
                                  Straight white men rule everything around me

                                  Comment


                                  • The PM won 59% of the vote, meaning he is now immune from a Conservative leadership challenge for a year.
                                    Let's see what the next 12 months bring but I'm not so sure what a replacement would achieve in that timeframe anyway? We still have one of the biggest budget deficits in peacetime history and there is only so much a leader can do in this economic climate. I can't see any, apart from Rishi with his financial background doing much better.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by ludichris View Post

                                      Let's see what the next 12 months bring but I'm not so sure what a replacement would achieve in that timeframe anyway? We still have one of the biggest budget deficits in peacetime history and there is only so much a leader can do in this economic climate. I can't see any, apart from Rishi with his financial background doing much better.
                                      No, Rishi is a terrible chancellor. He’s found too many money trees and we all know they aren’t real.
                                      Straight white men rule everything around me

                                      Comment


                                      • Great news for Labour and Lib Democrats (they're gonna win the by-elections later this month and make gains until the next GE), terrible news for the country though I fear that BoJo will go really hard with right-wing policies (NI protocol, clash with EU, and more fascist laws to keep his power). In the meantime, he will ignore the slow death of small businesses, the struggles of the working class and the country's economy will suffer...

                                        Comment


                                        • After getting rid of May so easily, one would think 60% of the party wouldn't want to side with Boris after all that's happened. Let's see if by next year he's at a tougher spot.
                                          Find me here:
                                          https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                          https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by jordi_89 View Post
                                            After getting rid of May so easily, one would think 60% of the party wouldn't want to side with Boris after all that's happened. Let's see if by next year he's at a tougher spot.
                                            May won her vote of confidence too and ultimately had to leave. If there’s a scandal in the next few weeks it’ll be Bye Bye Boris.
                                            Straight white men rule everything around me

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Artoo View Post

                                              May won her vote of confidence too and ultimately had to leave. If there’s a scandal in the next few weeks it’ll be Bye Bye Boris.
                                              OMG I actually thought she lost it. There's hope then.
                                              Find me here:
                                              https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                              https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by jordi_89 View Post

                                                OMG I actually thought she lost it. There's hope then.
                                                It’s slightly different because whilst she won, Tory MPs didn’t support her Brexit deal so she ‘decided’ to step aside and let someone else have a go. Technically she didn’t have to do that, but if a Prime Minister can’t get laws passed there’s no point in them being Prime Minister.

                                                Boris actually has more Tory MPs in Parliament that May did so he shouldn’t face any problems getting laws passed etc. But what he cannot afford is another scandal - so here’s hoping
                                                Straight white men rule everything around me

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Artoo View Post

                                                  May won her vote of confidence too and ultimately had to leave. If there’s a scandal in the next few weeks it’ll be Bye Bye Boris.
                                                  It seems like Boris is so arrogant that he would never step aside regardless of the scandal
                                                  You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by westhammer View Post

                                                    It seems like Boris is so arrogant that he would never step aside regardless of the scandal
                                                    If things get so bad his party will ask him to step down, and if he doesn’t, they’ll change the rules so they can vote again on their confidence in him.

                                                    Basically he’ll only remain in power as long as the Tories believe he can win an election.
                                                    Straight white men rule everything around me

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X