Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has resigned, new PM set to be confirmed on 5 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ludichris
    replied
    I said it even before the PM's resignation but I do think Rishi will get it. He's the bookies favourite and unless he's the victim of smear I can't see another being selected.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    I’m still in shock he actually resigned (even if he did have no other option) because I never thought his ego would allow it.

Whoever comes next will just be more of the same, the whole rotten lot of them need to just go! The UK is in a worse state than it was in 2010 thanks for to these utter c-words.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    They are all flawed in some way if they have served in Boris' cabinet - I say that as we knew exactly what we were getting when he was elected Leader of the Conservative Party. He was someone known to lie, cheat and manipulate - by agreeing to serve in his Cabinet, you have in some way sold your soul to the devil, as it were.

I would love for a backbencher to get the big job here - such as Tom Tugendhat - or if we must go with an establishment politician, I'll take someone like Hunt who hasn't been complicit in the last 6-12 months of complete shambles.

Leave a comment:

• SholasBoy
    replied
    I just can't accept Sunak or Javid as prime minister, as it makes their ousting of Johnson seem very motivated and neither have a great track record themselves. Sunak was fined just like Johnson. So he's untrustworthy.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    With so many candidates they’ll need that long

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied

‘Boris was stabbed in the back’: voters in Tory heartland Spalding defend PM

In true blue constituency in the heart of the fens, residents give Johnson credit for Brexit and stance on war in Ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson

Leave a comment:

• ferrero
    replied
    OMG i read Liz Truss is running as well making it 9 candidates now.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Artoo View Post
    I don’t think anyone (or most of us reasonable people) would have any problem with a non-white PM. But the non-white MPs throwing their name in the ring just don’t deserve the job.

Also, Sadiq Khan is a useless mayor of London. Besides changing rules around bus fares, I honestly don’t think he’s done much at all. The fact TFL was on the verge of collapse lol and needed a 1.6b bailout is embarrassing (half of what he asked for).

Since it was between Sadiq and the Tory candidate (remember what he said about homeless people?), Sadiq was clearly the best choice but honestly I was hoping the Green candidate would do better in the last elections.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    I don’t think anyone (or most of us reasonable people) would have any problem with a non-white PM. But the non-white MPs throwing their name in the ring just don’t deserve the job.

Also, Sadiq Khan is a useless mayor of London. Besides changing rules around bus fares, I honestly don’t think he’s done much at all. The fact TFL was on the verge of collapse lol and needed a 1.6b bailout is embarrassing (half of what he asked for).

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by greek_boy View Post
    About Jeremy Hunt:

Jeremy Hunt: Next PM could be the man who ruined the NHS
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/jer...unior-doctors/

Jeremy Hunt ‘ignored’ NHS staff shortages while health secretary
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...alth-secretary

Sunak should be easily the favourite to win so far? I mean his money alone can buy this leadership race....

Top 3 must be the following so far:
    • Rishi Sunak
    • Jeremy Hunt
    • Said Javid

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a non-white PM? I remember Conservatives were making fun of Sadiq Khan when he was first elected as London's mayor calling the city 'Londonistan'... the irony if they elect Sunak, who comes from a Hindu family of migrants and we all know where the Conservative party stands when it comes to immigration! Nadhim Zahawi is also an Iraqi Kurdish refugee...
    I would love to have a non-white PM - but I couldn’t support Rishi or Sajid. Both have supported Boris week after week for months on end - and in Rishi’s case, even been guilty of some of the same issues we are critical of Boris (partygate). Rishi is exploiting his parents immigration narrative for the good of their campaigns, having also loyally advocated and supported the horrendous Rwandan immigration plans of Priti Patel in recent months (and I think I read that Sajid might’ve done the same).

You’re right to call out Hunt as well - he was the most unpopular Health Secretary of all-time and I don’t think he’ll ever be able to repair the damage he did to voters who worked in the NHS.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Yeap, it's a centrist party or at least that's what they want to portray. So they had the chance to support a Labour government but chose the Tories? WTF?

They won't win an election but they will play an important role in the next GE because I can't see Labour under Starmer getting a majority.

At the moment it looks like they take Tory seats only which is amazing.
    It wouldn’t have given Labour the required majority (326 seats) but it would have created a hung Parliament situation where, with no one party winning a majority, the existing prime minister can attempt to form a minority government, propped up with a coalition. That means Labour could have remained in power, but yeah, they didn’t.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Artoo View Post
    Lib Dems are a centrist party but have always been centre left. I forget what the results were in 2010 but I think had the decided to prop up Labour instead of the Tories, Labour would have had a majority too - meaning the last twelve years of Tory rule could have been avoided.

I don’t think the Lib Dems are going to win an election - but I don’t want them to take Labour seats. They need to take Tory seats and Tory seats only.
    Yeap, it's a centrist party or at least that's what they want to portray. So they had the chance to support a Labour government but chose the Tories? WTF?

They won't win an election but they will play an important role in the next GE because I can't see Labour under Starmer getting a majority.

At the moment it looks like they take Tory seats only which is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Lib Dems are a centrist party but have always been centre left. I forget what the results were in 2010 but I think had the decided to prop up Labour instead of the Tories, Labour would have had a majority too - meaning the last twelve years of Tory rule could have been avoided.

I don’t think the Lib Dems are going to win an election - but I don’t want them to take Labour seats. They need to take Tory seats and Tory seats only.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

Conservatives were always right wing and Lib Dem far left. When one GE saw no party winning outright, the Lib Dems propped up the conservatives to form a coalition, after swearing they wouldn’t. So basically everyone who had voted Lib Dems became a vote for the conservatives, the polar opposite viewpoint.

Ahh I see!

But since when Lib Dems are far left? Their voters now are mostly disappointed Conservative voters and not Corbyn supporters for example.
    I do understand though that the Lib Dem voters back then did not vote for a conservative government...

Leave a comment:

• SholasBoy
    replied
    can't believe I am saying this but i miss Theresa May - who knew things would get so ugly after they made her resign.

What happened with Lib Dems and the coalition? I keep seeing comments about it but I have no idea what they did back then...

Honestly, anyone but Tories. anyone! Starmer and Lib Dems can't be worse than BoJo (and the current candidates for the leadership)....
    Conservatives were always right wing and Lib Dem far left. When one GE saw no party winning outright, the Lib Dems propped up the conservatives to form a coalition, after swearing they wouldn’t. So basically everyone who had voted Lib Dems became a vote for the conservatives, the polar opposite viewpoint.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    can't believe I am saying this but i miss Theresa May - who knew things would get so ugly after they made her resign.

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
    All of them are dreadful and come across as very sneaky. As soon as we get a GE, whenever that is, I feel like the Lib Dems have their best shot. Young people now won’t remember how they betrayed us in the coalition. I voted for them (and greens) for years.
    What happened with Lib Dems and the coalition? I keep seeing comments about it but I have no idea what they did back then...

Honestly, anyone but Tories. anyone! Starmer and Lib Dems can't be worse than BoJo (and the current candidates for the leadership)....

Leave a comment:

• SholasBoy
    replied
    All of them are dreadful and come across as very sneaky. As soon as we get a GE, whenever that is, I feel like the Lib Dems have their best shot. Young people now won’t remember how they betrayed us in the coalition. I voted for them (and greens) for years.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    About Jeremy Hunt:

Jeremy Hunt: Next PM could be the man who ruined the NHS
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/jer...unior-doctors/

Jeremy Hunt ‘ignored’ NHS staff shortages while health secretary
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...alth-secretary

Sunak should be easily the favourite to win so far? I mean his money alone can buy this leadership race....

Top 3 must be the following so far:
    • Rishi Sunak
    • Jeremy Hunt
    • Said Javid

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a non-white PM? I remember Conservatives were making fun of Sadiq Khan when he was first elected as London's mayor calling the city 'Londonistan'... the irony if they elect Sunak, who comes from a Hindu family of migrants and we all know where the Conservative party stands when it comes to immigration! Nadhim Zahawi is also an Iraqi Kurdish refugee...
    Last edited by greek_boy; Sat July 9, 2022, 23:15.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    I don’t know who is going to win, but I don’t like the list. Jeremy Hunt is possibly a step back towards the Cameron/May style of Tory politics, whereas any of Boris’ cronies are going to basically stick with his line of thought.

I really don’t want Sunak because he and Boris supposedly butted heads on tax and NI, with Sunak wanting higher rates that Boris wouldn’t agree to.

Not that I get a say but I’d be open to a backbencher or Hunt. I actually quite like Raab and wouldn’t mind him, but he really wasn’t exuding leadership qualities when he stood in for Boris when he had covid.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Two former health secretaries, Sajid Javid and Jeremy Hunt, have joined the race to replace Boris Johnson.

Both have declared their plans to run for Conservative Party leader in the Sunday Telegraph.

The pair are calling for tax cuts - with Mr Javid looking to scrap an increase in National Insurance, while Mr Hunt wants to help businesses.

They join Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi and Transport Secretary Grant Shapps in the leadership race.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak, Attorney General Suella Braverman, former equalities minister Kemi Badenoch, and chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee Tom Tugendhat have also declared they are standing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62110114
    So, the confirmed list (so far) of politicians who have confirmed they will run for the leadership of the Tory party are:
    • Grant Shapps.
    • Jeremy Hunt.
    • Kemi Badenoch.
    • Nadhim Zahawi.
    • Rishi Sunak.
    • Said Javid.
    • Suella Braverman.
    • Tom Tugendhat.
    Ben Wallace ruled himself out earlier (having been a favourite to win), and Liz Truss is rumoured (according to The Mail on Sunday) to be throwing her name into the list very soon. Not interested in Grant, Nadhim, Rishi, Sajid or Suella - all have stood by Boris far too much. I don't know enough about Kemi and Tom to be able to form an objective opinion - and I'm on the fence over Hunt.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post

Quite disappointed that Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has ruled himself out.

Even though I think he might've been a rather unexciting PM, someone like him who is straight laced and by the book is needed as our next PM - to get us through to the General Election.

I also think he would be the only sane candidate and had high chances to unite Conservatives and win the next elections BUT:

I think there's a lot of juice behind the scenes on why he is not entering the race for the leadership... I doubt he didn't want but rather they made him not to do it
    Last edited by greek_boy; Sat July 9, 2022, 21:20.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Did you say scandal? Another day, another scandal - in their singular form, any of these issues would've brought down any other politician by now...

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied

another day another Tory drama/scandal

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Quite disappointed that Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has ruled himself out.

Even though I think he might've been a rather unexciting PM, someone like him who is straight laced and by the book is needed as our next PM - to get us through to the General Election.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X