Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has resigned, new PM set to be confirmed on 5 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plym
    replied
    does anyone want sunak? really bad if we just get truss by default before she's the lesser of two evils

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    I can’t keep up with Sunak and his policy changes - I have never seen a leadership candidate more obviously try to play to the base of their party, than he is trying to do at the moment…

He promised his reforms would "take a tougher approach to university degrees that saddle students with debt, without improving their earning potential".

Mr Sunak attended fee-paying private school Winchester College, before studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at Oxford University.
    I think this is a terrible Idea. How does this impact vocational degrees that are centred on culture, or the Arts, or sports - areas that don’t typically command the highest incomes but do typically attract a lot of interest? Or dare I say medicine, or care - we’d end up with no nurses or care workers!

I think it is right to look at why people go to university and to make sure that everyone has the right tools and information to make the correct decision for themselves but coming at it with the lens of earning potential is just crap.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post

This basically is his nail in the coffin.
    In a general election. But who even knows when it comes to Tory Party members.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    He’s a c**t. Completely out of touch with reality.

But on the flip side, will the real Liz Truss please stand up?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

This basically is his nail in the coffin.

Leave a comment:

• LittleLinda
    replied
    This made me lol.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Predictions that January alone could cost bill-payers 500…

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

I understand how it all works but I find the bolded statement to be curiously worded - are you suggesting that they haven't made the amount of money that the BBC are publicising? (as it is on the Company's financial reports). Or by "correct", do you mean it isn't ethically right? Can't work it out.

In any case, when the energy price cap was lower than the wholesale price of gas (and smaller companies went under), British Gas still managed to profit to the tune of 262m - and since the new cap has been in place and households in the UK are suffering beyond measure, that profit has increased exponentially. The fact that they've reinstated shareholder dividends just doesn't play well.

It's costing the UK government 9.1 billion to provide support to households via the Energy Bills Support Scheme - at its current rate, British Gas will make 1/3 of that in full year profits! They're delighted.
    Ethics - I trust the BBC sources

They need taxing and frankly, the new Tory Profit Levy rate of 25% on the industry is insulting. Windfall tax their asses and increase it to at least 50%.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by Artoo View Post
    On paper it’s madness but there’s actually little that could have been done to avoid making so much profit. I know that sounds silly, but most of this will come from their wholesale energy business - not from household bills.

Household bills are capped and based on market rates at key intervals during the year. During the fixed cap period, if the wholesale market increases above the cap your bills don’t - and a lot of suppliers have gone bust because they were forced to buy wholesale energy at prices significantly higher than they were allowed to sell it at.

Household bills will increase in October but only if you’re not on a fixed rate fixed term contract, and if you have one of those already in place, you might avoid the increase all together if it carries you through winter and beyond April 2023.

None of this makes the reported profit correct. I fully support a windfall tax on all energy companies. Green taxes need pausing and the 5% VAT removed, and same on businesses too (which have different and more expensive green taxes and a 20% VAT rate).

The UK system is flawed but works well when the wholesale market is stable. It’s the instability that’s killing it and we are far, far, far too reliant of purchasing energy from abroad. The UK has to become energy self sufficient - only then can we control the market rates when the market is crazy.
    I understand how it all works but I find the bolded statement to be curiously worded - are you suggesting that they haven't made the amount of money that the BBC are publicising? (as it is on the Company's financial reports). Or by "correct", do you mean it isn't ethically right? Can't work it out.

In any case, when the energy price cap was lower than the wholesale price of gas (and smaller companies went under), British Gas still managed to profit to the tune of 262m - and since the new cap has been in place and households in the UK are suffering beyond measure, that profit has increased exponentially. The fact that they've reinstated shareholder dividends just doesn't play well.

It's costing the UK government 9.1 billion to provide support to households via the Energy Bills Support Scheme - at its current rate, British Gas will make 1/3 of that in full year profits! They're delighted.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Just look at that, against the backdrop of the worst energy crisis in the history of the U.K. you have one energy supplier that has increased its profits by 411% - increased to such a level that they can return to shareholder dividends for the first time in 3 years.

Based on the most recent estimates, average U.K. household energy bills are likely to increase by 78% to c3,500 per year - delighted for these energy companies that will be able to benefit from that.

I really feel genuine sadness for low earners or pensioners - I read on Twitter that one pensioner had said that energy bills are currently over 70% of his pension and by October, this will increase to 100%. That is unsustainable, shocking and an appalling reflection of just how broken we are as a country at the moment.
    On paper it’s madness but there’s actually little that could have been done to avoid making so much profit. I know that sounds silly, but most of this will come from their wholesale energy business - not from household bills.

Household bills are capped and based on market rates at key intervals during the year. During the fixed cap period, if the wholesale market increases above the cap your bills don’t - and a lot of suppliers have gone bust because they were forced to buy wholesale energy at prices significantly higher than they were allowed to sell it at.

Household bills will increase in October but only if you’re not on a fixed rate fixed term contract, and if you have one of those already in place, you might avoid the increase all together if it carries you through winter and beyond April 2023.

None of this makes the reported profit correct. I fully support a windfall tax on all energy companies. Green taxes need pausing and the 5% VAT removed, and same on businesses too (which have different and more expensive green taxes and a 20% VAT rate).

The UK system is flawed but works well when the wholesale market is stable. It’s the instability that’s killing it and we are far, far, far too reliant of purchasing energy from abroad. The UK has to become energy self sufficient - only then can we control the market rates when the market is crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    British Gas resumes shareholder payout as bills rise

British Gas owner Centrica has resumed payouts to shareholders as UK households come under pressure from rising energy bills.

The company said it was paying an interim dividend of 1p per share, after having suspended it for three years.

It comes as gas prices soar, fuelled by Russia's war in Ukraine.

UK energy bills are expected to rise again in the coming months, with one consultancy warning they could hit 3,850 a year by January.

The announcement of a resumption in dividends came as Centrica reported soaring profits for the first half of the year.

Adjusted operating profit for the six months ending in June rose to 1.34bn from 262m a year earlier.

Boss Chris O'Shea said that the results came against the backdrop of "the most challenging energy crisis in living memory".

He added: "We are very aware of the difficult environment many customers are facing and we will continue supporting them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62330190.amp
    Just look at that, against the backdrop of the worst energy crisis in the history of the U.K. you have one energy supplier that has increased its profits by 411% - increased to such a level that they can return to shareholder dividends for the first time in 3 years.

Based on the most recent estimates, average U.K. household energy bills are likely to increase by 78% to c3,500 per year - delighted for these energy companies that will be able to benefit from that.

I really feel genuine sadness for low earners or pensioners - I read on Twitter that one pensioner had said that energy bills are currently over 70% of his pension and by October, this will increase to 100%. That is unsustainable, shocking and an appalling reflection of just how broken we are as a country at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Trade unions are in for the biggest battering since Mrs Thatcher - it’s really interesting to watch all of this play out, the government are wilfully allowing all of these strikes to happen so that enough public support is stirred up to drive union reform (it’s already started with reform on the Employment Agencies Conduct Regulations and Truss, clearly playing to her base, wants to test the waters by reforming the law on ballot thresholds).

I think even Labour are being measured in how publicly they support the unions at the moment, as was evidenced with their sacking of a shadow minister yesterday who participated in a strike - Starmer knows to win an election, he needs to appeal to some cross sections of the Conservative party.

The unions are in for a big shakeup.

Leave a comment:

• Plym
    replied
    Originally posted by greek_boy View Post
    WTF!! we need a general election now..
    T R U S T T R U S S ?

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Liz Truss accused of attempting to erode workers’ rights with plans to raise ballot thresholds for strikes

Liz Truss has been accused of inflaming divisions and attempting to erode workers’ rights with proposals to raise ballot threshold for industrial action and minimum service levels during strikes.

The Tory leadership contender said she will introduce legislation targeting “militant action” from trade unions in the first 30 days of taking office if she wins the race to succeed Boris Johnson in No 10.

The committment comes as members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) at Network Rail and 14 train operators prepare to walk out on Wednesday in an ongoing dispute over jobs, pay and working conditions.

The Trade Union Congress (TUC) has urged the government and transport secretary, Grant Shapps, to “stop blocking an agreement that will end the dispute” and get around the negotiating table.

WTF!! we need a general election now..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2130804.html

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CgfBvQSI7rX/
    OMG
    at her reaction

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied

The way the Tories are going whoever wins will be replaced in twelve months anyway

Hahaha actually I think Sunak has bigger chances of a stable government and higher chances to do well in general elections, unlike Truss. In general, I think GE will take place sooner than planned.

I just read that BoJo might serve in Truss's cabinet if she becomes a PM - WTF WTF WTF!

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay View Post
    My husband is watching the debate and says both are crap...
    Your husband is right!

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    My husband is watching the debate and says both are crap...

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Rishi isn't coming across well at all - he needs to calm down.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Liz's face is hilarious when Rishi is arguing with her.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Watching the debate!

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by greek_boy View Post

100% but we will suffer having her as a PM for 2-3 years. Can you believe it after BoJo??
    The way the Tories are going whoever wins will be replaced in twelve months anyway

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    If Liz wins at least she won’t win a general election.
    100% but we will suffer having her as a PM for 2-3 years. Can you believe it after BoJo??

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    If Liz wins at least she won’t win a general election.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    I know… but then does anything really surprise me in politics anymore?

She’s coming across as a moron and she’s not even in post yet. She’ll be a puppet for the ERG and the agenda for ultimate privatisation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X