Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Supreme Court rules against the SNP in Scotland independence case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heppolo
    replied
    strange that May calls for June, it has that weird wordplay

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    I hear Labour is rising in the polls. Guess May's campaign strategy of not having a campaign and refusing to face the competition (brought to you by #Merkel2013 and #Hillary2016) isn't working.
    Even Merkel agreed to have two debates this year although she hates answering questions / talk to voters.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Please can David Miliband make a return to British politics? He'd sort it all out.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    ^I mean, for Labour it would have been better to have a hated but charismatic leader than the dullest ever backbencher who may have been right on lots of issues but just couldn't get his act together. And even if Blair is Tory-light he is still better than going full Tory.

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo
    Originally posted by Airwrecka
    Originally posted by menime123
    As much as I am a Labour supporter, the Labour Party screwed themselves over when they opted for Ed Miliband over David Miliband. The party has never recovered from this act of stupidity and it hasn't had anyone worthy of the job since.
    Tony Blair should have never retired, would have won multiple elections and stayed in power still to this day like Merkel
    Are you for real? He's one of the most hated people on the planet.
    You know, Donald Trump once again proved that in politics it is better to be hated than to be dull but right on the issues.
    Better in what sense? To get elected? Maybe.. if your base are complete idiots like Trumps base. But if you mean to run the country? Hardly, it's obvious by how Trump is running the US into the ground

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Airwrecka
    As much as I am a Labour supporter, the Labour Party screwed themselves over when they opted for Ed Miliband over David Miliband. The party has never recovered from this act of stupidity and it hasn't had anyone worthy of the job since.
    Tony Blair should have never retired, would have won multiple elections and stayed in power still to this day like Merkel
    You know, Donald Trump once again proved that in politics it is better to be hated than to be dull but right on the issues.

Leave a comment:

• AceReject
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Now that little Hitler woman is threatening a coalition with Labour. I don't trust Corbyn enough not to take it :evil:

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    He might have struggled to win a 5th to be honest, but I do think he left politics too early.

Leave a comment:

• matthew_dixon
    replied
    Commons is set to agree. Conservative + Labour + Lib Dem all in favour is easily 2/3rds of the MPs - and given SNP are only abstaining it's like those seats don't count rather than them counting against.

It is a power grab, but not one in terms of years in power - it's a grab of a load more seats from a weak and vulnerable Labour Party so she has a more solid majority and doesn't have to worry about making any concessions to other parties whatsoever. She'll never get a majority in the Lords though, so that could prove interesting for Brexit - even if the Commons doesn't ever vote anything down on it.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Theodorerichert
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    She's called a snap election.

June 8th.

She needs 2/3 majority in the Commons to proceed.
    When will we know if the Commons will agree?

Leave a comment:

• Loveguru
    replied
    UK is surely it's in Glitter era.... hopefully Emancipation is around the corner

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    The difference is Trump does have that air of authority about him (its heat he says I don't like). Corbyn in the other hand doesn't - he constantly looks bored and flits between upset and annoyance that people don't understand his points and policies. He isn't a leader.

A few years ago I think Harriet Harman could have done it but she had no interest in it at all. I also thought Andy Burnham a few years ago could have pulled it off (in that he spoke and acted like a leader) but he seems to mess up quite a bit

I am still very disappointed Teresa May is PM, based on decades of voting against gay rights, but I see no issue in holding a grudge now equality has been achieved legally. As far as I'm concerned calling the election is the first decisive act she has done as PM - and it's been a long time coming.

But it's so annoying to see that we don't really have anyone in politics in any party with the balls or ability to sort everything out, especially after the level of engagement the public has had with politics over the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• SeeForever
    replied
    Makes sense, after all the people never voted her in as Prime Minister, she inherited the job from David Cameron, will make her position more stronger

This whole Brexit stuff bores me to bits now, I voted to stay, but some people just can't accept the vote, they need to just realise Brexit is here to stay and get on with their lives, one thing we do need though is a proper opponent to the Tories, I can't see that happening under Jeremy Corbyn, but then again US somehow voted in Donald Trump

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    I actually back this move.

To say that the PM has struggled with Brexit would be an understatement, and it is in large part due to the decisions of the house. Despite having a majority, the Conservatives' position in parliament is anything but comfortable: they only have a 4 seat majority, meaning they need almost every conservative MP to vote on all laws in the same way - there is no comfortable party buffer.

I think May is right to suggests political games played on all sides is wrong for Brexit. That little Hitler woman in Scotland keeps piping up every chance she gets, Corbyn's own party doesn't like him and the Lib Dems are basically over.

Having an election now will only means more conservatives, and will be a direct mandate from the country to approach Brexit in the PM has already outlined - and if she gains a huge majority everyone else can just shut up and let her get on.

The problem is if Labour somehow claws back seats and decides to go into a coalition with the SNP for a majority. I don't see Labour winning back seats, but I don't trust Corbyn not to offer a referendum to Scotland if it makes him PM.

I'm Labour through and through but I thought things were bacd with Ed Miliband... Corbyn is just wrong on so many levels and is not PM material.

Leave a comment:

• AceReject
    replied
    I'm with Mother Theresa.

Hope the SNP get wiped out. :x

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab
    This woman is so messy. She says she seeks a 'stronger mandate' for the Brexit talks, but she already has an absolute majority and a mandate until 2020, a year after Brexit should be completed. She wants 2 more years in office, that's all.
    Her majority is absolute in principle but a 16 seat majority in a House of 650 isn't really that strong - especially when you consider how divided the Conservative party was over Brexit and how many constituencies in the UK were only narrowly won. And further, when you consider how outnumbered the government is in the Lords.

I don't disagree that this is much more than a power-grab - she definitely wants an extra 2 years in office. But why not? She's a great leader. And actually, 2 more years of May rule over the possibility of that fool Corbyn taking power...brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    This woman is so messy. She says she seeks a 'stronger mandate' for the Brexit talks, but she already has an absolute majority and a mandate until 2020, a year after Brexit should be completed. She wants 2 more years in office, that's all.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne

June 8th.

With some unclear perspective because Labour has been failing under Corbyn, but Theresa isn't popular as well so far (Conservatives are set to be riding high in the polls with 44-46% of popular support which can bring a landslide)

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

June 8th.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Theresa May is making a statement at 11:15 today with no pre-briefing for the press - I swear, the last thing the UK needs now is a snap election or a PM resignation...

Leave a comment:

• boto
    replied
    Ireland is interested in getting EU-Amazon headquarters which are currently in the UK...Dublin is the place.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    It'll be interesting to see how the EU functions going forward - I think the UK is in for an uncomfortable shock short term but it'll be one that passes over time as trade agreements are ironed out and pre-existing laws become enshrined into the UK legal system.

The EU on the other hand has a much less certain future - I suspect that the UK triggering Article 50 will be much darker for the EU than it will be for the UK long term.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugo

so mean.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X