Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Supreme Court rules against the SNP in Scotland independence case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone watched The Labour Files - The Crisis? It’s an explosive, thoroughly brilliant documentary by Al Jazeera that really blows a hole in the British media’s coverage of Corbyn - and it really does highlight the major rifts that existed in the Labour Party during Corbyn’s time as leader.

It’s really quite appalling how those within his own party conspired against him.

Comment

• Okay, so it turns out that The Labour Files is a four episode exposť on the Labour Party by Al Jazeera - it is absolutely explosive, it paints a terrible picture of UK Labour. It's essentially based around the fact that Al Jazeera has gained access to thousands of Labour Party files, the biggest ever leak in UK political party history - it makes hugely controversial and significant claims. It's totally caused me to question the media's coverage of Corbyn (both left and right wing media).

Yet the documentary has received zero UK coverage - I can't find a single news article on the programmes from a national newspaper, so there's presumably some legal stuff going on - but I vehemently believe that if airs in the UK or gains any level of traction, our right wing media will be all over it and much of the goodwill that the party seems to be currently building on the back of the Tory Party's misery will soon be gone.

The episodes are on YouTube if interested:

Ep 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elp18OvnNV0

Ep 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTMF0MSXng

Ep 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-cHBQf5z_M

Ep 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-Gpmfajp8

Comment

• Interestingly the first episode was released on the day the mini-budget is announced. Truss govt is hoping this will divert the attention away from the economic disaster their mini budget has brought but to no avail i guess.

Last edited by ferrero; Sun October 2, 2022, 11:56.

Comment

• Lots on this sorry doing the rounds - in a nutshell, Prince Charles (as was) planned to attend this summit and deliver a speech but then the late Queen died. Having become King, he’s then sought advice from Liz Truss on whether he should still attend - she’s requested he doesn’t go, he’s agreed to follow this. Then suddenly, this story leaks.

Comment

• The issue on the COP speech I think is that Truss could be planning to backtrack on some energy targets, so it’ll be a conflict of interest. However I don’t believe it’s the Palace - her party just has it in for her already.
            Disco dancing with the lights down low…

Comment

• Can't the King just send William to do the speach?

Comment

• Originally posted by p0isonparadise View Post
                Can't the King just send William to do the speach?
                William just doesn't have the same clout - King Charles is a respected speaker on this subject and is our Head of State and him being there would add serious gravitas to the summit. But to Artoo point, if Liz Truss plans to walk back some of our commitments, it would be a grave error of judgement to have King Charles delivering a speech.

The more I read about King Charles, the more I want to see this happen:

Comment

• I love that King Charles III movie

Charles already said during his ascension broadcast that he knows he has to take a step back from all of his interests and commit to being a monarch. I don’t doubt he’ll find the transition hard across some of the issues he’s more passionate about, and sadly this is where Harry would have been useful in taking some of those things on and ensuring royal links are maintained.

Comment

• Apparently, the Government are about to release a statement in which they walk back the top rate tax cut for those earning £150,000 or more.

I don’t think they appreciated the level of backlash this proposal would get, even within their own party. I also think that Liz Truss was naive to believe that she could just blame it on the Chancellor and leave it there.

Comment

• It’s gone!

This is a colossal government U-turn.

Yesterday morning, the prime minister insisted she was pressing ahead with the controversial plan to scrap the 45p tax rate.

This morning - it’s dead.

There are two things which have changed:
                      • one - a growing number of Tory MPs were speaking out publicly to say the policy was wrong
                      • secondly - an increasing number of parliamentarians were predicting the policy would be voted down in the Commons

Liz Truss will be hoping that by making this decision now, it will limit the damage.

But this is undoubtedly a very difficult and damaging moment for her premiership. Truss had said she would be prepared to make difficult decisions. It turns out this was a difficult decision too far.

Comment

• Even just yesterday she hadn’t backed down! Such a crap woman.

It still does nothing for those most in need though.

Comment

• Press conference to be held later today amid rumours of more u-turns. Truss won’t make it to Christmas.

Comment

• I read that kwasi kwarteng will be sacked n the mini budget will b reversed.

Comment

• Yes, BBC reporting he’s gone. Liz clearly fighting for her job.

Comment

• Disco dancing with the lights down low…

Comment

• We’re doomed.

Comment

• Press conference was a joke. Truss has sacked her chancellor for carrying out the budget she created and caused a financial meltdown. The press quite rightly asking her - why does he get sacked and you get to stay? Apparently because she’s changed her mind on her policies, which is a nonsense answer

Comment

• I think Hunt is a good choice, he’s quite credible and has held serious ministerial positions.

But today has been an absolute disaster for Truss - it’s absolute carnage!

Comment

• This is terrible but hilarious.

Our politics are such a joke.

Comment

• Hunt literally messed the NHS up though.

Honestly, this must be the worst run of Tory PMs in our entire history: Cameron gave us Brexit, Teresa couldn’t get the Brexit deal through parliament despite having a majority, Boris broke laws he created, and now Truss has destroyed the economy in less than 40 days.

Comment

• Yes, this run of PMs is just ludicrous… who the hell do we get next?! Put us out of our misery and hold a GE.

I’d say poor Kwasi but he seemed like a cock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                              Hunt literally messed the NHS up though.

Honestly, this must be the worst run of Tory PMs in our entire history: Cameron gave us Brexit, Teresa couldn’t get the Brexit deal through parliament despite having a majority, Boris broke laws he created, and now Truss has destroyed the economy in less than 40 days.
                                              Hunt didn’t ruin the NHS IMO, he just didn’t save it - which isn’t necessarily any better but the NHS was on a decline the moment Labour left office and austerity was implemented. Hunt could and should’ve done more.

His comments this morning seem to have stemmed some of the negativity - he’s getting lots of positive feedback, he’s currently being touted as the de facto PM. I hope he’s a good Chancellor.

Comment

• The Times reporting that Hunt has cancelled the 1p income tax cuts due in April 2023 - aside from the NI rise reversal, there’s pretty much nothing left of Trussonomics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                  Yes, this run of PMs is just ludicrous… who the hell do we get next?! Put us out of our misery and hold a GE.

I’d say poor Kwasi but he seemed like a cock.
                                                  For me, there is a tremendous lack of leadership and vision in UK politics atm. Perhaps a GE, if nothing else, would allow for bolder party visions.
                                                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• The Conservatives hold too many seats for a general election to be held. Even if Labour called for a vote of no confidence, at least 40 - 50 Conservative MPs would have to vote against their own party for it to stand a chance. The options are sticking with Truss or replacing her.

What we need right now is for a financial plan to be put in place that is costed and approved, bringing stability back to the markets. Sadly, even once stability is regained it will be fragile, so I don’t think Truss can be replaced - at least not yet.

Replacing the chancellor has probably bought her a year. If in twelve months she looks unelectable, that’s when I think they’ll replace her. Don’t get me wrong, she needs to go - giving her replacement twelve months to make their mark before the next general election (which as to be no later than January 2025).

Labour haven’t had a moment like this to shine in over a decade though. Now is the time for Starmer to step up - people are disillusioned with The Tories now, so he needs to win them over now. He’ll never have a better chance at convincing people to change votes, even though it’s over two years away.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X