Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Supreme Court rules against the SNP in Scotland independence case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LittleLinda
    replied
    Originally posted by Madgefan View Post
    Imagine someone showing you these clips 10 years ago .. Boris as PM and Trump in the White House .. you'd think they were crazy
    And a time traveller obviously.
    Well, I don't know about you, but given what's happened around the world in recent years: If I ever run into someone who claims to be a time traveller and tries to warn me of upcoming events (especially elections), I will hear them out and act accordingly, no matter how crazy it sounds.

Leave a comment:

• Madgefan
    replied
    Originally posted by bm08 View Post
    Can't believe Boris is PM.

This acceptance speech they are playing now seems like parody. Lol
    Imagine someone showing you these clips 10 years ago .. Boris as PM and Trump in the White House .. you'd think they were crazy
    And a time traveller obviously.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by CrazyCrazy View Post
    Why do you guys hate him so much? Give the man a chance!
    He was the London Mayor and it was a proper clownery.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Is this the guy that wants a no deal brexit?

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by CrazyCrazy View Post
    We don't hate him, Erdogan and Ottoman Empire supporters love him because he is related to Ottoman thanks to his grandparents.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    He's being presented as "Ottoman blood" in Turkish media, as if it's a good thing

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    He's being presented as "Ottoman blood" in Turkish media, as if it's a good thing

Leave a comment:

• Flopofageneration
    replied
    Is Boris confirmed in yet?

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by MusicRecords View Post
    He looks like a chavy Trump
    Probably Trump's distant cousin

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    He looks like a chavy Trump

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Can't believe Boris is PM.

This acceptance speech they are playing now seems like parody. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Maggie was a phenomenal leader, a truly brilliant prime minister and probably our greatest peacetime leader.

I cannot believe we'll end up with Boris as our PM later today...

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Well, I guess Wayne’s view on Maggie is retrospective (like mine) - had we both lived through the 80s I suspect our opinions might be different

Maggie was far from perfect, but for me I admire her strength of character and sheer determination. It takes an extraordinarily woman to play (what is traditionally still very much) a male game and stay at the top of the pyramid for a decade. Plus she was quite witty at times too, quite happy to deliver a well form put down: which in her own way was quite camp

It was always going to take another extraordinary woman to be bold enough to be the 2nd female prime minister too, but sadly Teresa must have left her balls in the farmers field. God loves a trier, and by god was she trying

I can’t believe Boris is going to be PM. Can we please just put him on a zip wire for a few weeks and forget about him?

Leave a comment:

• Madgefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    Controversial opinion as a gay man!
    Very. She did as much as humanly possible to obstruct any progress on Gay Rights. In fact she set us back years with legislation like Section 28. Still, she stirred my political activism for those very reasons so it wasn't all bad
    She was a strong leader, I admire that compared to our current crop, but someone who absolutely didn't listen and had a rather limited outlook on social issues. Which ultimately were the reasons that led to her downfall.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    She's the closest to a political Diva UK had though.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    She was long before my time!

And besides, I love our Maggie!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    She was long before my time!

And besides, I love our Maggie!

Leave a comment:

• Madgefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    During my adult life, I’ve known - teeny bit of Blair’s run as PM and then Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May and likely Boris Johnson.

What an era to live through - British politics is the shits and with Boris at the helm, lord knows what’s ahead.
    You missed Thatcher though .. now that was a time to be alive

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    During my adult life, I’ve known - teeny bit of Blair’s run as PM and then Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May and likely Boris Johnson.

What an era to live through - British politics is the shits and with Boris at the helm, lord knows what’s ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    This is alarming. Feels like the UK is slowly being dragged into another American-made war in the Middle East. Let's just hope BoJo is smarter than that. (I doubt it.)

Leave a comment:

• Madgefan
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo View Post
    what a time for a man like BoJo to lead the country...the real life Suicide Squad
    Yeah, he'll probably order the RN to torpedo one of their ships

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    what a time for a man like BoJo to lead the country...the real life Suicide Squad

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Iran 'choosing dangerous path' over tanker seizure

Jeremy Hunt warns of "serious consequences" for Iran

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has expressed his "extreme disappointment" in a phone call with his Iranian counterpart following the seizure of a British-flagged tanker in the Gulf.

It comes after Mr Hunt warned Iran may be choosing a "dangerous path" of "illegal and destabilising" behaviour.

The Stena Impero's owners have been unable to contact the ship, which was surrounded in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran said the vessel was "violating international maritime rules".

In the call, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told Mr Hunt the ship must now go through a legal process, according to the Iranian news agency ISNA.

A second British-owned Liberian-flagged tanker, the MV Mesdar, was also boarded by armed guards but was released on Friday.

What happened?

The Stena Impero was seized by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard on Friday in a key waterway in the Gulf.

The tanker was surrounded by four vessels and a helicopter before heading into Iranian waters, Mr Hunt said.

"We are not looking at military options," he said. "We are looking at a diplomatic way to resolve this situation."

A senior Iranian diplomat was summoned to the Foreign Office in London following the ship's seizure.

Mr Hunt confirmed he had spoken to his Iranian counterpart on Saturday afternoon.

He said he expressed "extreme disappointment that having assured me last Saturday Iran wanted to de-escalate the situation they have behaved in the opposite way."

He also tweeted: "Yesterday's action in Gulf shows worrying signs Iran may be choosing a dangerous path of illegal and destabilising behaviour after Gibraltar's legal detention of oil bound for Syria."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has also demanded the release of the tanker and its crew, urging all sides to "show restraint".

He added in a tweet: "Trump tearing up the Iran nuclear deal has fuelled confrontation."

Another emergency Cobra committee meeting is due to be held later.

Iran's state-run IRNA news agency said the tanker was seized after it collided with a fishing boat and failed to respond to calls from the smaller craft.

The vessel's owners said it was fully complying with regulations and was in international waters when it was approached.

Stena Bulk said the 23 crew members, who are Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino, were in good health.

It said it was preparing a formal request to visit those onboard the seized ship.

A UK government spokeswoman told the BBC: "We have advised UK shipping to stay out of the area for an interim period."

What does Iran say?

Iran's foreign minister Javad Zarif tweeted that the UK "must cease being an accessory to #EconomicTerrorism of the US".

He said it was Iran that guarantees the security of the Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz.

Leave a comment:

• Madgefan
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo View Post

John Major threatens to sue Boris Johnson in case he tries to bypass the Parliament in his attempt to achieve a no deal Brexit.
    It's shocking that in a parliamentary democracy it could even be suggested that Parliament be bypassed and shutdown. So much for 'seizing back control'. Still , in the day we became a US colony I shouldn't be surprised. Trump dictating who we should appoint as our ambassador to the US, I thought our Brexit humiliation couldn't get much worse, how wrong I was .. it seems it has a long way to run. We've come full circle, from Master to the Puppet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X