Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Politics: Supreme Court rules against the SNP in Scotland independence case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was that it?
    Disco dancing with the lights down low…

Comment

• It's exactly what I expected it to be.

She's written to the EU to request an extension to June 30th.

Comment

• Yes but I expected something more than this is it.

Comment

• Then you set yourself up for disappointment.

Comment

• May's speech (No10): what an arrogant, intransigent, liar. Blaming everyone else; but herself. She's a disgrace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              Then you set yourself up for disappointment.
              Tell that to the Prime Minister

Comment

• Hahaahha loving the drama, it would be amazing if one of the EU countries says no....please reject the extension, France...
                Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

• France is soooo gonna c*ckblock them. They always love to screw the UK over.
                  DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                  98 - OUT

Comment

• Won't happen - well not by France anyway.

If we are prevented an extension, it'll be due to bloc-voting from some of the smaller countries.

Comment

• That is if Tusk calls for a EU Council meeting
                      If (under the orders of France and Germany) he doesn't an extension won't be given. Which begs the question: since the EU Court decided that the UK can unilaterally cancel Brexit, then why can't it postpone it unilaterally too?
                      jio CHARTS NOW: 7/12//2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post11029655

Comment

• The European council will reject the date of June 30 and will give the date of 22 of May instead. Before the elections.
                        "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• this whole mess would make a great political docudrama
                          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale View Post
                            The European council will reject the date of June 30 and will give the date of 22 of May instead. Before the elections.
                            only if the May/EU plan passes which is unlikely since it has been already rejected twice
                            jio CHARTS NOW: 7/12//2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post11029655

Comment

• The UK can also leave with no deal...
                              "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

"The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now".

Best option: Revoke Article 50
                                Last edited by Kpop; Thu March 21, 2019, 15:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpop View Post
                                  https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

"The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now".

Best option: Revoke Article 50
                                  What’s that old saying?

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                    Well the EU has been in constant crisis since 2010. Brexit is just another step in that crisis. So even if it magically disappears the next crisis is never that far away (it's probably Italy at this point) so...
                                    A referendum aimed to revoke any supranational Law is forbidden in Italy, our Constitution expressly forbids that. If you are referring to a possible default caused by our disgraceful government, and a "Italexit" as a result of that, OK, this could happen. But, thank God, we already have our politicians doing enough damages on a daily basis without any popular (edit: populist) vote.

About the UK, if they want to extend their presence in the EU until the 30th of June, they simply have to vote at the European Parliament Election. Frankly I cannot understand Theresa May's arrogance on asking the contrary.
                                    They had almost three years to set up this Brexit, if they remain after 26/30th May THEY VOTE. Simple as that.

They always considered themselves as an A-Level members, maintaining their own currency, avoiding Schengen, etc. They though to exit deciding themselves any condition, and:

* refused the first May deal;
                                    * BUT voted for May to remain as a Prime Minister;
                                    * AND refused the second May deal
                                    * BUT refused a second referendum
                                    * AND refused no deal
                                    * BUT asked for an extension of Article 50.

Enough is enough.
                                    Last edited by Shadowplay; Thu March 21, 2019, 21:08.
                                    "Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"

Comment

• I am talking about crisis in general not necessarily referendums to leave... and who r u to say "enough is enough" to democratic procedures???? They simply refused a particular plan that May and the EU (not May alone) came up with. Changing May would have been time consuming and counter-productive since the other side of the negotiation would remain the same. Of course they refused a no-deal since they consider that detrimental (although that vote took away all their negotiating power) and also dont wanna stay. They just want a better deal. Frankly I cannot understand why the EU cannot negotiate more. We pay those ppl millions to come up with solutions not to blackmail members in weak positions and come up with statements of the type"we are tired" and "we cannot understand what they want" and "this is the only plan" as if it is given by God or something. I really dont understand all the polemic as if we are talking about North Korea and not an EU partner. You should be demanding much more by ppl they are supposed to represent you instead of supporting them against democracy in member states (parliament reflects democracy, a decision by the president of an EU body after consulations with some and not all members away from any sort of public oversee or judicial control that asks for a parliamentary decision to change represents autocracy. Lets call it what it is finally)

P.S. The elections is a technicality that can be solved if there is a will for gods sake. Its not as if the average european is going to vote anyway
                                      Last edited by jio; Fri March 22, 2019, 05:33.

Comment

• And by "they vote" I guess you mean "they set up the vote" because in all EU people dont vote lol lol

Comment

I am talking about crisis in general not necessarily referendums to leave... and who r u to say "enough is enough" to democratic procedures???? They simply refused a particular plan that May and the EU (not May alone) came up with. Changing May would have been time consuming and counter-productive since the other side of the negotiation would remain the same. Of course they refused a no-deal since they consider that detrimental (although that vote took away all their negotiating power) and also dont wanna stay. They just want a better deal. Frankly I cannot understand why the EU cannot negotiate more. We pay those ppl millions to come up with solutions not to blackmail members in weak positions and come up with statements of the type"we are tired" and "we cannot understand what they want" and "this is the only plan" as if it is given by God or something. I really dont understand all the polemic as if we are talking about North Korea and not an EU partner. You should be demanding much more by ppl they are supposed to represent you instead of supporting them against democracy in member states (parliament reflects democracy, a decision by the president of an EU body after consulations with some and not all members away from any sort of public oversee or judicial control that asks for a parliamentary decision to change represents autocracy. Lets call it what it is finally)

P.S. The elections is a technicality that can be solved if there is a will for gods sake. Its not as if the average european is going to vote anyway
                                          The EU is not blackmailing the UK. It offered the UK a Canada style free trade deal; but May didn't want that. The backstop was both an EU (ireland) and UK construct. And the EU compromised on that. The UK was never going to get a better deal outside of the club and May knows this.

Here is a taste of May's BS

Comment

• The whole thing is of the type take it or leave it and leaves no room for further negotiation. Moreover that was a decision taken before and not during yesterday's summit. It is a blackmail and it happens after all the time for negotiation has run-up in order to create a situation of panic for the UK and to accept. Similar tactics (with different background, subject, problem, risks etc etc of course) were also used in Greece in 2015 and Cyprus in 2013. And of course these may be effective in passing (or rather forcing) the EU position but it is far from how a civilized community based in mutual solidarity and law should be working. It could also be against the interest of the citizens since decisions of instututions representing the citizens (such as the parliament in this case) are simply ignored and asked to be overturned. In a democratic society the executive would never dream to ask the parliament to overturn a decision without any change but that's exactly what the EU is asking May to do here. When you criticize the UK on this you forget that despite all the mess, the UK decision-making on this is still subject to democratic scrutiny (hence the rejections) whereas in the EU it is not clear who decides what, shown by the fact that Tusk had announced the Council's decision before the council even convened. I mean come on.
                                            Last edited by jio; Fri March 22, 2019, 08:40.

Comment

• UK is greedy and I'm glad EU doesn't give any **** anymore about what UK wants. You might find it to be blackmail, but you can flip the scenario and make it seem like UK is blackmailing EU by zigzagging all these years since the vote. There's a saying here when people don't know what they want - they don't know if they want to pee or poop. UK is acting like that now. If anything EU was pretty clear on the terms they were willing to accept since the negotiations started. It might have seem like take it or leave it deal, but aren't all negotiations like that when you boil them down to the core? Why does UK think they can get everything they want their own way? Just because they were used to being one of the head votes in the EU and getting things their way most of the time? But when you willingly decide to give away that power you lose all the leverage. How stupid can you be to think EU is going to go easy on you? Why should they? So every other member sees it's so easy to get away from the Union if they want to?
                                              I have received many gifts from God,
                                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• No you cannot say this for the UK because the end of the negotiating period creates a crisis situation mostly for the UK (and Ireland) and much less for the EU. No negotiations are not like this, they are like this only when there is a massive difference in power among the two sides and not a sense of mutual collaboration.

And I totally agree with the rest of your post except that I consider everything you wrote indicative of a union hold together by fear and not free will. Which is extemely problematic by itself.

Comment

• LOL. OK. That might be the sentiment in the UK, but I just read a nice article here that ponders how a land of brilliant writers, scientist, etc. manages to be so stupid in 21st century. And I'm pretty sure the same sentiment is prevalent in the rest of the EU countries who are tired of Brexit and just want it to be over. 3 years is enough to come to an agreement, EU did have some leeway and made certain compromises, yet UK doesn't want to compromise anything. So who isn't negotiating there?

Why would EU accept whatever UK wants? What is the reason for that? Should 20+ countries bend over backwards to UK just because they're UK? They might as well build a wall around the island la Trumps USA/Mexico.
                                                  I have received many gifts from God,
                                                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

No you cannot say this for the UK because the end of the negotiating period creates a crisis situation mostly for the UK (and Ireland) and much less for the EU. No negotiations are not like this, they are like this only when there is a massive difference in power among the two sides and not a sense of mutual collaboration.

And I totally agree with the rest of your post except that I consider everything you wrote indicative of a union hold together by fear and not free will. Which is extemely problematic by itself.
                                                    May has caused this crisis situation with her game of chicken: In December she delayed the 1st Meaningful Vote by 5 weeks.
                                                    May has refused Parliament indicitive votes as a way out of this mess, instead she has tried to bully Parliament with her deal, her deal, her deal; or there might not be a Brexit; or it'll be no deal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8834491.html
                                                    Last edited by Kpop; Fri March 22, 2019, 10:27.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X