X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• menime123
    replied
    Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    Oh god you think? I haven’t seen any ratings or polls but I get the feeling a lot of his voters from December have turned on him over his handling of the pandemic, for a variety of reasons. I mean, there are plenty to choose from.

We’re not due another GE until 2024 - I hope enough happens in that time to rid us of what will have been 14 years of Tory rule and ruin.
    Sadly I do. He is always strangely popular - even as Mayor of London, people couldn’t quite work out why either. His approval ratings have dropped, but that’s to be expected I think - it’s very easy to criticise the response to a pandemic in hindsight, and a lot of the media has jumped on that.

I don’t think anyone envies him having the top job at the moment and frankly I’ve no idea who is in line to replace him. The Tory party seem to be of the idea lockdown isn’t needed, things are all blown out of context and we should all just get on with life. But death and creating poverty is not new to them.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

their base tells Tories "no", so Priti aren't going to resign, I guess

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Oh god you think? I haven’t seen any ratings or polls but I get the feeling a lot of his voters from December have turned on him over his handling of the pandemic, for a variety of reasons. I mean, there are plenty to choose from.

We’re not due another GE until 2024 - I hope enough happens in that time to rid us of what will have been 14 years of Tory rule and ruin.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    The conservatives sadly aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. I’m not yet convinced Starmer could pull off a victory, though I have hope he can once we get to the next election.

Boris I think is still pretty popular with the public too.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Both Priti Patel and this Conservative government are both abhorrent. They all need to go.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Priti Patel is an abhorrent woman. A bigoted white man in an Asian woman’s disguise.
    Oh wow.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo View Post

Yet they're still in line voting like the obedient servants. Those clowns will install Rees-Mogg as their leader right after Boris, so it won't get better.
    Well, a small number of Tories rebelled against Boris in the recent lockdown vote - that number is expected to grow when it comes to MPs voting on the new stricter tiered system the U.K. is expected to move into coming out of lockdown 2.0.

I definitely think that in Boris, a lot of Tories have buyers remorse.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    The Tory party are desperate to get Boris out.
    Yet they're still in line voting like the obedient servants. Those clowns will install Rees-Mogg as their leader right after Boris, so it won't get better.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    karma is a bitch

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied

Priti Patel is an abhorrent woman. A bigoted white man in an Asian woman’s disguise.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Priti and Boris aren't ever going to step down easily, they'll cling on to power for as long as possible.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post

This is turning into a major headache for Boris - I don’t see how she can stay in her position as Home Secretary following a finding that she’d breached the Ministerial Code...there is no precedent for this.
    There is clearly a lot going on behind the closed door at no. 10 and I honestly think Boris isn’t as in control as he makes out... and he’s simply trying to keep his friends around.

I’ve heard rumours of Tory infighting and backbenchers not supporting him recently, and someone somewhere is leaking too much information to the press. I had thought Boris was doing this himself (the whole ‘let them get used to the idea of new measures before I announce them’ etc) but it’s been biting him on the arse for a while now as people are sick of the media having details on new restrictions and updates before it’s formally announced.

The whole Brexit mess has damaged his leadership too if I’m honest. It’s rare all living ex-PMs unite to condemn the decision of a sitting government to go back on the UK’s word.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

This is turning into a major headache for Boris - I don’t see how she can stay in her position as Home Secretary following a finding that she’d breached the Ministerial Code...there is no precedent for this.

Leave a comment:

• Parkelife
    replied
    Originally posted by menime123 View Post
    Probably driving to Barnard Castle as we speak

In fairness, if he is I’m well jealous as I love it there.
    He will probably going to see his parents near the Honest Lawyer hotel in Durham.

Yeah, B/Castle is really nice. I live in Co Durham.
    Last edited by Parkelife; Sat November 14, 2020, 11:31.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    They delayed the inevitable....and for what?!

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Probably driving to Barnard Castle as we speak

In fairness, if he is I’m well jealous as I love it there.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Bye Dom.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    EDIT: Wrong thread

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    I don’t mean to negate the severity of it, but frankly, after everything so far in 2020 a rise in the threat level almost sounds like something we can actually handle.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    commented on 's reply
    Oops, that Priti Patel photo was bigger than I thought it would be

• Wayne
    replied
    Ugh, as if 2020 couldn't get any worse...

UK terrorism threat level raised to 'severe'

The UK's terrorism threat level has been upgraded from "substantial" to "severe".

The move means security chiefs believe that an attack is highly likely but there is no specific intelligence of an imminent incident.

The move follows Monday night's shooting in Vienna in which four people died.

Last week, three others died in a knife attack in Nice, France, and a teacher was murdered in Paris last month.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the British people should be "alert but not alarmed".

"This is a precautionary measure following the horrific events of the last week in France and last night in Austria and is not based on a specific threat."

She added that significant steps had already been taken to amend powers and strengthen the tools for dealing with developing terrorist threats.

"As I've said before, we face a real and serious threat in the UK from terrorism.

"I would ask the public to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to the police," she said.

Assessments of threat levels are taken by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC), part of MI5, which makes its recommendations independently from the government.
    • Low - an attack is highly unlikely
    • Moderate - an attack is possible but not likely
    • Substantial - an attack is likely
    • Severe - an attack is highly likely
    • Critical - an attack is highly likely in the near future
    Head of UK counter-terrorism policing Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu echoed the home secretary's comments, saying there was no intelligence to link any of the attacks in France or Austria to the UK but said his officers were working with international partners, and providing assistance.

He urged communities to "stand together and reject those who seek to sow division and hatred between us".

"We need communities and families to bring to our attention anyone they perceive may be vulnerable, a danger or escalating towards terrorism," he said.

He said the public could expect to see additional police officers deployed to certain places and locations over the coming days.

Police would also work closely with local businesses, faith groups and community groups to provide reassurance and seek their support, he added.

Labour's shadow home secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds said the decision to change the threat level should not cause "undue alarm" but showed the importance of people continuing to be vigilant.

The UK's terrorism threat level was raised to the highest rating, "critical", in the days following the Manchester Arena bombing in May 2017.

It last reached that level again briefly in September that year, after a bomb partially exploded on a Tube train at Parsons Green.

The threat level remained at the second highest rating, "severe", until last November when it was downgraded to "substantial", where it has stayed until now.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said given events in Austria and France, it would have been "remiss" of the government not to raise the threat level.

He said the JTAC, which brings together analysts from across transport, health, intelligence and the military, were constantly analysing the ongoing threat to UK citizens anywhere in the world, and will have looked at what has happened in Vienna and at all the postings from al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group, encouraging people to carry out attacks.

"There's a lot of anger at the moment in many parts of Muslim communities over the cartoons [of the Prophet Muhammad] and that's being exploited by extremists who are encouraging people to carry out attacks, hence the raising to severe."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54799377

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied

Despite all of his faults, I think the criticism of Jeremy as the "terrorist sympathizer, unfit to lead, communist, totalitarian" was exaggerated, he is a good man at heart, but he just wasn't made for a "big tent" kind of party like Labour. I think even John McDonnell would have done a better job as the party leader.
    Kier is just a bit too mellow, Labour needs a loudmouth and/or a slightly more charming and charismatic figure at the front.
    Yes, I agree, Ed just didn't look the part to be the PM, he looked like a supply teacher.
    Kier has a strong background though - human rights lawyer, head of the CPS etc (and also the inspiration for Mark Darcy from Bridget Jones ).

He hasn’t had a chance to shine yet and considering he’s only been an MP for 5 years and is already party leader, suggests his party colleagues have bought into what he has to offer very quickly - which I think bodes well as Labour desperately needs something other than what it’s been offering.

Ive nothing again Corbyn personally but he’s the sound advisor, the backbencher or at best, the reliable minister - he wasn’t party leader and only got the job because IMO offered a version of Labour that was dramatically different to the Blair years.

But the fact is New Labour won four elections. I’m not saying they were perfect. But the country largely rallied behind one man’s vision for a decade. The Tories might be on their 4th consecutive win too, but their leadership has been a mess.

David Cameron has a lot to answer for - history isn’t going to remember him well.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I do hope so.

The Labour Party has died a horrid death ever since they elected Ed Miliband as party leader instead of David Miliband. One knew what he was doing, the other didn’t even realise he was being manipulated into being a puppet leader.

Ed Miliband as PM? I doubt even he believed it was possible.

In my opinion, politics in the UK has been steadily moving towards the middle for decades. Both David Cameron and Tony Blair moved their party’s towards the centre a little and won over the British public.

Yes in recent times we’ve seen both parties fight back and go very left and very right, but it isn’t really working - neither Miliband nor Corbyn could get the votes for their far left. I accept Boris is probably the most conservative leader the Tories have had in decades and frankly, he stole the top from May (using far right back benchers like Rees-Mogg to get the job, then quickly dropping them).

But people are growing tired of Boris too and if it wasn’t for Covid-19, he’d be in deep water I think over how he’s conducting himself over Brexit. He plays the babbling baboon very well but we deserve better than a foolish monkey who wants to be Churchill.

Sir Kier hasn’t really had a chance to shine yet, but he has to be one of the most intelligent people in Westminster. As long as he can apply a huge dose of common sense to his politics he has a fighting chance.
    Despite all of his faults, I think the criticism of Jeremy as the "terrorist sympathizer, unfit to lead, communist, totalitarian" was exaggerated, he is a good man at heart, but he just wasn't made for a "big tent" kind of party like Labour. I think even John McDonnell would have done a better job as the party leader.
    Kier is just a bit too mellow, Labour needs a loudmouth and/or a slightly more charming and charismatic figure at the front.
    Yes, I agree, Ed just didn't look the part to be the PM, he looked like a supply teacher.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied

They are trying to erase any semblance of left-field narrative left in Labour and move the party back into the full-on Blair mode.
    I do hope so.

The Labour Party has died a horrid death ever since they elected Ed Miliband as party leader instead of David Miliband. One knew what he was doing, the other didn’t even realise he was being manipulated into being a puppet leader.

Ed Miliband as PM? I doubt even he believed it was possible.

In my opinion, politics in the UK has been steadily moving towards the middle for decades. Both David Cameron and Tony Blair moved their party’s towards the centre a little and won over the British public.

Yes in recent times we’ve seen both parties fight back and go very left and very right, but it isn’t really working - neither Miliband nor Corbyn could get the votes for their far left. I accept Boris is probably the most conservative leader the Tories have had in decades and frankly, he stole the top from May (using far right back benchers like Rees-Mogg to get the job, then quickly dropping them).

But people are growing tired of Boris too and if it wasn’t for Covid-19, he’d be in deep water I think over how he’s conducting himself over Brexit. He plays the babbling baboon very well but we deserve better than a foolish monkey who wants to be Churchill.

Sir Kier hasn’t really had a chance to shine yet, but he has to be one of the most intelligent people in Westminster. As long as he can apply a huge dose of common sense to his politics he has a fighting chance.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    Jeremy Corbyn suspended from the Labour Party following the report into anti-semitism in the party.
    It’s his own fault - he commented the report findings “dramatically overstated” anti-semitism within the party. He wasn’t suspended because of the contents, but his comments - which he refused to withdraw.

So Sir Kier had little option IMO. How could he let the ex-party leader downplay an independent report that found fault with the party and its conduct under his leadership?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X