UK Politics: UK is now out of the EU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    I'd say... out on Friday... why? Because then the UK can finally look after more important issues.
    yeah, Brexit feels like a "Neverending Story" sequel
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Brexit has cost the British economy £66 billion since the referendum, a report has found.

Credit ratings agency Standard and Poor suggested that since the June 2016 vote, 3% has been shaved off GDP.

That equates to ‘foregone economic activity’ of £6.6billion in each of the 10 quarters since the referendum, or £66 billion, the agency said.

Brexit has also cost the British economy £550 million a week since the referendum, as business investment dries up amid political paralysis in Westminster.

‘The most visible effect has been the depreciation of the British pound, which triggered an increase in inflation. The ultimate result was to erode household spending power. Household spending would have been considerably stronger – in line with GDP – had the referendum not occurred,’ S&P said in its publication, Countdown To Brexit: What Might Have Been For The UK Economy. It added that external trade did not see any significant boost from the pound’s collapse, contrary to claims from leading Brexit proponents that exports would be boosted
      Yikes
      MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• And yet we're still wealthier than France and the 2nd largest economy in Europe...

The reality is that even if you multiply that $66 billion figure by a factor of 10, there would still only be 7 countries in the world with a nominal GDP higher than the UK - now, I'm not saying that we should exit the Europe, but these scaremongering stories about X amount of wealth being wiped out are cumbersome and they do little to help the UK's situation.

Comment

• In a perfect world the EU wouldn’t grant them an extension tomorrow and they’d gtfo on Friday finally <3
          Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

• https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8861506.html

Maybot's premiership encapsulated

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpop View Post
              Damn, it's almost bullying

Comment

• The humiliation.

Comment

• Looking it from EU's perspective I don't see the point in extending the date if they're not willing to renegotiate the deal and they seem unwilling to do so. May can't pass this deal. We've seen that. She won't be able to pass it in this May, this October or in April 2020. So I'm guessing EU has some other ideas how to smoothen Brexit. There's no point in keeping this status for another year otherwise.
                  I have received many gifts from God,
                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• The UK is caving in, the EU smells the fear and wishes that the UK will stay in the union, whether they like or not...
                    If British politicians really wanted to leave, they already had a deal done or left without a deal. The truth is, that they don't want to leave, but also, they don't want to take responsabitity for not leaving...
                    "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Brexit delayed until 31st of October.
                      "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale View Post
                        The UK is caving in, the EU smells the fear and wishes that the UK will stay in the union, whether they like or not...
                        If British politicians really wanted to leave, they already had a deal done or left without a deal. The truth is, that they don't want to leave, but also, they don't want to take responsabitity for not leaving...
                        I agree with that although I suspect for most people there is fear of taking the risks that Brexit involves. I think pretty much the British government is done at this point. It has managed to alienate just about everyone and the extension it got is kinda useless as it doesn't seem to involve what is needed the most by the UK at this point: a renegotiation. Not that a renegotiation would have granted any results if the UK was not willing to do a no-deal Brexit. As menime said, once it became clear that the UK is afraid of a no-deal Brexit, it burned all its cards and lost all negotiating power. Now it has been reduced to a begging side instead of a negotiating side with the ability to gain anything.

I am assuming the government will fall before EU elections though. I don't know how they can survive like this...
                        jio CHARTS NOW:17/2/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...9#post10349779

Comment

Brexit delayed until 31st of October.
                          Halloween:

https://twitter.com/search?q=Hallowe...32694097117186
                          Last edited by Kpop; Thu April 11th, 2019, 12:00.

Comment

Amazing. Too apt.

Comment

Ugh this got more push backs than an Azealia Banks album.
                              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Scariest Halloween ever. Everyone will dress up like May.
                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                  Looking it from EU's perspective I don't see the point in extending the date if they're not willing to renegotiate the deal and they seem unwilling to do so. May can't pass this deal. We've seen that. She won't be able to pass it in this May, this October or in April 2020. So I'm guessing EU has some other ideas how to smoothen Brexit. There's no point in keeping this status for another year otherwise.
                                  The purpose of extending the date will be to enable us to get Brexit through parliament - I imagine its a symbolic decision to enable the legislation to pass (if parliament ever gets its act together).

Comment

• So is she going to keep trying to get her deal through again?

The way parliament has played this I think is absolutely criminal. They forced the PM to beg for another extension - 2 days before the second Brexit date -without a single alternative (that they all agree on) to the deal they repeatedly refuse to back.
                                    M08T10

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                                      So is she going to keep trying to get her deal through again?

The way parliament has played this I think is absolutely criminal. They forced the PM to beg for another extension - 2 days before the second Brexit date -without a single alternative (that they all agree on) to the deal they repeatedly refuse to back.
                                      Maybot's deal is rubbish that's why parliament won't pass it. She set her redlines and still refuses to compromise. Maybot could probably get her awful deal passed by Parliament by attaching a confirmatory vote to it; but she stubbornly rejects this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpop View Post
                                        Maybot's deal is rubbish that's why parliament won't pass it. She set her redlines and still refuses to compromise. Maybot could probably get her awful deal passed by Parliament by attaching a confirmatory vote to it; but she stubbornly rejects this.
                                        Kbot’s at it again
                                        M08T10

Comment

• Diane Abbott 'sorry' for drinking on train

Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott has apologised after a photo emerged of her sipping a can of M&S mojito on a London Overground train.

Since 1 June, 2008 it has been illegal to drink alcohol on Transport for London's (TfL) network.

The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP said she was "sincerely sorry for drinking on TfL".

Under TfL's conditions of carriage "anyone caught consuming alcohol may be prosecuted".

'Sincerely sorry'

Ms Abbott said she was "sincerely sorry" for drinking the tinned cocktail.

She wrote on Twitter: "A photo of me drinking from a can of M&S mojito on the Overground has been circulated.

"I'm sincerely sorry for drinking on TFL."

Ms Abbott, who previously campaigned to end the sale of cheap alcohol, received several supportive messages in reply to her tweet.

One Twitter user wrote: "I'm sincerely sorry you feel the need to say sorry Dianne and i hope you really enjoyed the drink it's no one's business but yours."

Alcohol ban

Another said: "Put it in a water bottle next time."

The alcohol ban was introduced by the then Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, in an attempt to tackle unruly behaviour on the TfL network.

It was described by union leaders as "half-baked".

On 31 May, 2008 - a day before the alcohol ban came into place - revellers enjoyed a "cocktail party" on parts of the London Underground; mainly on the Circle Line.

Within the first five months of the ban being enforced, a BBC investigation found that British Transport Police spoke to 35 people who had been seen drinking alcohol on the Tube.

However, none of those incidents was recorded as a criminal offence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47996907

She is a PR nightmare.

Comment

• Popbitch this week said Diane was at a west end show on her phone the whole time.
                                            1 Harry Styles|2 Dua Lipa |3 Doja Cat |4 Elodie|5 Lizzo |

Comment

• You can tell Brexit’s gone quiet

Comment

• This makes me like Diane more tbh.
                                                late.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                  You can tell Brexit’s gone quiet
                                                  Saw the thread title and came here to say this.

Watch them do absolutely nothing until October and then delay it until next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                    You can tell Brexit’s gone quiet
                                                    Putting Brexit on hold

Comment

Working...
                                                    X