X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevyy
    Site Supporter
    • 14 May 2005

Originally posted by cheapthrills
    I'm so confused. I thought he suspended parliament?
    They still have this week to pass a law that prevents a no-deal Brexit.
    My Chart

Comment

• Thriller
      Administrator
      • 13 Dec 2003

More than 100,000 people, mainly young, have registered to vote in the past 48 hours.

Boris has called Corbyn a “great big girl’s blouse” in the Commons

Comment

• heppolo
        Legend
        • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by Thriller
        Boris has called Corbyn a “great big girl’s blouse” in the Commons
        What does this even mean though?
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Thriller
          Administrator
          • 13 Dec 2003

Originally posted by heppolo
          What does this even mean though?
          A wimp, effectively.

Comment

• heppolo
            Legend
            • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by Thriller
            A wimp, effectively.
            The pompous duo of Boris and Rees-Mogg should be locked together in the Oxford debate class to frustrate each other with their grotesque self-indulgent speeches, and not pretending to be the ones who are in charge of the country.

Comment

• Wayne
              Site Owner
              • 07 Sep 2006

The vote against a no deal Brexit has passed.

They are now voting on a general election FFS.

Comment

• heppolo
                Legend
                • 17 May 2009

Snap general election vote flopped

Comment

• heppolo
                  Legend
                  • 17 May 2009

Comment

• jio
                    Legend
                    • 15 Jul 2009

The law that prevents a no-deal Brexit is the worst thing they could have voted IMO. Irrespective of who is in the government, it just strips the UK of any negotiating power it may have had. Now theoretically the EU could either force whatever deal they want on them or leave them forever in limbo (which will not do much for the UK economy). I am really shocked by that vote...
                    jio CHARTS NOW:09/04/2024: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post11345288

Comment

• heppolo
                      Legend
                      • 17 May 2009

^essentially most of MPs think it's better to block BoJo from any potential negotiation, and make Brexit look as unrealistic as possible for the general public so that the support for Brexit eventually dwindles towards a clear minority.

Comment

• jio
                        Legend
                        • 15 Jul 2009

I get that... but that raises about a million questions about the place of democracy within the European Union... it's really sad
                        jio CHARTS NOW:09/04/2024: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post11345288

Comment

• Thriller
                          Administrator
                          • 13 Dec 2003

Democracy is dead.

Comment

• stevyy
                            Site Supporter
                            • 14 May 2005

Originally posted by jio
                            I get that... but that raises about a million questions about the place of democracy within the European Union... it's really sad
                            huh? Uschi is going to salvage everything.
                            My Chart

Comment

• shinydiscopaul
                              Roadie
                              • 29 Dec 2018

I can't believe the UK's politics is in such a mess, its been years of absolute chaos. They all need to resign and admit they are absolutely terrible at this.

Realistically, at this point - they need to cancel Brexit both big parties need completely overhauled and an election to take place, and then referendum again. It's beyond repair at this point. I'm genuinely scared at the uk's future.
                              thank u, next

Comment

• clh_hilary
                                Superstar
                                • 08 Sep 2009

I would've voted for Boris Johnson had I maintained my membership, but this indeed isn't a good look. He hasn't been able to do anything, I wish he could just have the guts to not only say "do or die" for a 31 October Brexit, but that the EU is only going with Theresa May's deal, and so we can just speed up the ineivtability of that deal being finally accepted by the Commons.

I expect May's deal to be resurrected and passed in the end, after further chaos, and possibly another extention. The best deal I can see is one that has a border in the Irish Sea. If China can claim Hong Kong and Macau as its own, I don't why an autonomous Northern Ireland could not work. But May making a mess of her snap election made it impossible to do anything the unionists would not like.
                                Originally posted by WhatTheHell
                                Voice of the truth here!!

Comment

• heppolo
                                  Legend
                                  • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by jio
                                  well, is there a place for democracy in the modern times? especially in such a controlled and manipulated media environment.

Comment

• heppolo
                                    Legend
                                    • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by clh_hilary
                                    I would've voted for Boris Johnson had I maintained my membership, but this indeed isn't a good look. He hasn't been able to do anything
                                    How ironic that BoJo PM position has been the result of deep divisions within the Conservative Party, yet because of this kaleidoscopic situation BoJo is simply unable to achieve any progress for better or worse.

Comment

• Kpop
                                      Personal Assistant
                                      • 17 Oct 2016

Originally posted by shinydiscopaul
                                      I can't believe the UK's politics is in such a mess, its been years of absolute chaos. They all need to resign and admit they are absolutely terrible at this.

Realistically, at this point - they need to cancel Brexit both big parties need completely overhauled and an election to take place, and then referendum again. It's beyond repair at this point. I'm genuinely scared at the uk's future.
                                      As far as Brexit is concerned, I think an actual referendum should come first rather than a de facto referendum which is what a G.E would be. The problem with a general election is it also includes too many other policies like NHS, taxes,education, defence, policing, welfare and so on.

With a (basically) single issue election: a referendum. The options could be Remain or Bojo's deal (whatever that will be). Also make the referendum legally binding, unlike the last one which was only advisory.

Then after Brexit has been finally been decided we can have a G.E. May tried to sort Brexit out with a G.E in 2017 and look where it got us: a minority government relying on the D.U.P. There could be another hung Parliament again.

It's also fairer, for example, on Conservative and Labour voters as each party has both Leavers and Remainers to let them decide via a referendum.
                                      Last edited by Kpop; Tue September 10, 2019, 14:25.

Comment

• jio
                                        Legend
                                        • 15 Jul 2009

Originally posted by heppolo
                                        well, is there a place for democracy in the modern times? especially in such a controlled and manipulated media environment.
                                        That's so true... media decide who we are going to like and who not (politically) without even giving them the benefit of the doubt. I could name some examples but it is beyond the point.

From a legal point of view there are several ways forward, most of each would annul the previous referendum (such as a new referendum). Ethically however there is no way that the UK could remain in the EU without hurting its democratic traditions. The will of the people was expressed freely and fairly once (yes, one could argue that politicians lied but show me when they don't lie? that means nothing) and since then we had a premier who was supposedly trying to achieve Brexit while never believing in it and now a parliament which is supposedly trying to achieve a Brexit with a deal when they clearly believe that there should be no Brexit at all. If another referendum does take place and Brexit is rejected, then the real question would be how much of the shift in votes was due to people essentially being blackmailed by the anti-Brexit rhetoric of post-Brexit doom (unproven) thus making the second decision one taken under distress plus the question of why the next referendum should be binding and not just attempt to overturn it again since that would have happened to the first one. Tough questions...
                                        Last edited by jio; Tue September 10, 2019, 13:07.

Comment

• Kpop
                                          Personal Assistant
                                          • 17 Oct 2016

Originally posted by jio
                                          That's so true... media decide who we are going to like and who not (politically) without even giving them the benefit of the doubt. I could name some examples but it is beyond the point.

From a legal point of view there are several ways forward, most of each would annul the previous referendum (such as a new referendum). Ethically however there is no way that the UK could remain in the EU without hurting its democratic traditions. The will of the people was expressed freely and fairly once (yes, one could argue that politicians lied but show me when they don't lie? that means nothing) and since then we had a premier who was supposedly trying to achieve Brexit while never believing in it and now a parliament which is supposedly trying to achieve a Brexit with a deal when they clearly believe that there should be no Brexit at all. If another referendum does take place and Brexit is rejected, then the real question would be how much of the shift in votes was due to people essentially being blackmailed by the anti-Brexit rhetoric of post-Brexit doom (unproven) thus making the second decision one taken under distress plus the question of why the next referendum should be binding and not just attempt to overturn it again since that would have happened to the first one. Tough questions...

If Parliament clearly believe that there should be no Brexit at all then why did it vote 498 votes to 114 in favour of triggering Article 50?

You don't know if the will of the people was expressed freely and fairly as your opinion is based on an EU referendum corruptly won. If the referendum had been legally binding then a judge could have made the result null and void. However, since the the referendum was only advisory the result cannot legally be overturned by the courts.

Comment

Working...