No announcement yet.

Rebecca Ferguson demands inquiry into music industry and treatment of artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Katie Waissel again! She’s had a right time.

I’m sure there was a rumour that Lucy Spraggan was sexually assaulted during her series by somebody linked to the show and that’s why she quit. There will probably be more instances.

Comment

Record labels have always been a problem. I hate that no one backed up TLC when they spoke up at the Grammys.
      Diva!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post

I feel like there's a huge amount of issues just waiting to be made public relating to Simon Cowell, maybe not directly involving him but involving his shows and the processes in those shows. I wonder if this will cause a ripple effect, and more people disclose their own stories.
        I was once worked for one of the companies that made these talent shows for Syco Entertainment. It was a very short term gig but over a decade later it’s still the worst job I’ve ever had. The work was absolutely fine and I mostly enjoyed it - but it had the wrong work culture. The vibe was very Mean Girls come Devil Wears Prada - you were supposed to feel privileged to be there. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a graveyard of skeletons.
        I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

The issue I see in all this is that at the end of the day it's Rebecca Ferguson and erm...Jedward kicking up a stink. Not to sound harsh, but to shake things up (if there is really an issue), some more high profile names need to get involved. Otherwise, it just sounds a bit sour grapes.

Comment

One Direction nor Little Mix are going to speak up, let’s be honest. Leona Lewis or Alexandra Burke are probably the other biggest names and I just don’t see them speaking about Syco.

Rebecca’s fight seems to be with the industry rather than X Factor though and I think we are all big enough fans of music to accept shady deals have been prevalent in the industry for decades. I don’t think what she’s asking for is unreasonable, I just don’t know that using social media is he best way to give a voice to her cause.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Comment

I’m not really sure Rebecca is doing herself any favours making all these claims public. It sounds like she got herself in a bad situation, but more through her naivety than anything else - and she wasn’t an innocent teenager when she did X Factor, she was 24.

I just find it hard to believe she didn’t have a voice and couldn’t speak up for herself. It feels like she’s trying to align herself with Britney, but Rebecca wasn’t in a conservatorship and she clearly wasn’t making millions.

I don’t doubt she’s had a bad time in the music industry as I really do think it uses people, but like any job, you have to speak up for yourself and stand your ground.

Reading her Twitter I just get the sense that she got lost up in the dream of being a singer and had absolutely no idea what the business end of it would look like and got burnt.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                  I’m not really sure Rebecca is doing herself any favours making all these claims public. It sounds like she got herself in a bad situation, but more through her nativity than anything else - and she wasn’t an innocent teenager when she did X Factor, she was 24.

I just find it hard to believe she didn’t have a voice and couldn’t speak up for herself. It feels like she’s trying to align herself with Britney, but Rebecca wasn’t in a conservatorship and she clearly wasn’t making millions.

I don’t doubt she’s had a bad time in the music industry as I really do think it uses people, but like any job, you have to speak up for yourself and stand your ground.

Reading her Twitter I just get the sense that she got lost up in the dream of being a singer and had absolutely no idea what the business end of it would look like and got burnt.
                  I fully agree with this. I know the industry is harsh, but her tweets just make her sound like a pushover. Unless someone was holding her at gunpoint, how was she "on limited food and told when to eat or drink"? There is no way anyone could actually stop her from eating, unless they got physical with her (which would result in a criminal offense).
                  The sleep thing, well, I can imagine people keeping her on an inhumane schedule and waking her up all the time, but if you have to lock yourself in a room and plug your ears to get a decent amount of sleep, so be it.
                  Same with the contract: If she didn't want to sign, she simply shouldn't have.

It all just sounds like she doesn't know how to say no. And I am fully aware that people most likely tried to convince her that she had "no choice", but... come on, now.

Comment

She has shared this tweet from boyband, Why Don't We. It's quite a confusing tweet tbh... I feel like it says a lot without saying anything at all. It doesn't really explain what happened or why.
                    1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

It sounds like they signed a bad contract and were offered some sort of advance up front in exchange for recording and promoting music, the usual really. In this case their housing costs and transportation costs are all covered but they probably aren't seeing much of the profits at all, sacrificing them to the production company who are obviously very protective of their 'assets'.

I wonder how much of the tour money they get to keep?

Comment

Why would an alarm go off if the doors or windows opened

Comment

This is apparently an audio clip they recorded of their manager losing his sh*t over one of the boys ordering a salad.
                          "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

Yeah, disturbing.

I wonder though (and this is not justifying any mistreatment) about a boy and who have managed to professionally record over 20 songs, and be put up in accommodation with food and bills paid for, without ever having a hit single. I mean there is something not right somewhere here.

Comment

According to an article posted on BBC yesterday:

On Friday, Mr Loeffler's lawyer Michael Levin said Signature had profit share agreements with the members of Why Won't We, which had been "very beneficial for the individual members of WDW", earning them approximately $10m (7.2m) in total

Comment

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                Why would an alarm go off if the doors or windows opened
                                Sounds like they simply switched on the house alarm with the boys still inside without giving them the code. Then, yes, you are basically trapped in there without the possibility to open a door or window. Guess they probably didn‘t want them sneaking away and do stupid stuff.

Not justifying it, just explaining.

Comment

It sounds like a form of child abuse whatever it is. I wonder is there a legal battle behind the scenes which makes it seem vague/confusing.

The music industry (fame) has clearly had major impacts on the mental health of many teen stars (Demi, Britney, Selena). It seems like there needs to be some form of protections in place though I’m not sure what.
                                  You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Working...
                                  X