This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Sorry but where and when has Lil Nas X ever promoted the idea of promiscuity or raw sex exactly? ( Raw sex by the way means bareback, not sure if you are aware)

All he has done is dance on a pole in boxer shorts. Cardi and Normani were on poles with their whole asses showing recently. Megan and Cardi were bumping asses live on stage at the Grammys. No one was calling them out for it. Are they also promoting promiscuity and raw sex then ?

If you are only calling out Lil Nas X but not all these women too then yes you are a homophobe.
    Is bareback unprotected sex? No I meant explicit sex, not any particular type. He sells sex in the same way many females do, yes.

​​​​​​I personally don't like the oversexualisation of the pop scene, male or female. I don't like that Lil Nas X's videos are not 16+ on YouTube (or Cardi or Meghan or Nicki etc). In any case I may be biased against Nas for whatever reason, still doesn't make me a homophobe.

I am entitled to not liking watching men dancing naked on a stage (or women or animals or whatever), and I can say I don't like it. Still won't make me a homophobe.

​​​​​​Where the problem arises is when I interfere with someone else's rights. That is the problem. And this is not always clear.
    ​​​​​
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

Is bareback unprotected sex? No I meant explicit sex, not any particular type. He sells sex in the same way many females do, yes.

​​​​​​I personally don't like the oversexualisation of the pop scene, male or female. I don't like that Lil Nas X's videos are not 16+ on YouTube (or Cardi or Meghan or Nicki etc). In any case I may be biased against Nas for whatever reason, still doesn't make me a homophobe.

I am entitled to not liking watching men dancing naked on a stage (or women or animals or whatever), and I can say I don't like it. Still won't make me a homophobe.

​​​​​​Where the problem arises is when I interfere with someone else's rights. That is the problem. And this is not always clear.
      ​​​​​
      Yes.

If you dont want to watch anyone dancing naked then fine, if you explicitly have a problem with a gay man doing it, I am afraid that indeed does make you a homophobe. And it is pretty clear cut. No one is forcing you to watch if you don't want to.

Again, where has Nas X promoted promiscuity, as per your first message?
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Maybe promiscuity was the wrong word, I'm not very good with this vocabulary lol. I meant as in selling sex. I just understood that promiscuity is having sex with multiple partners so afaik he hasn't done any of that.

​​​​​
        ​​​​​​

I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
        I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Another LGBTQ+ discussion and another disappointing set of opinions from certain users.

‘Free Speech’ and ‘Freedom of Speech’ are two very different ideas and people confuse them. An individual has the freedom to say what they want, but must face the consequences if it is inappropriate - be that illegal or culturally.

What people do have is the freedom to believe whatever they want. But not all internal monologues need to made public, and not all are appropriate for public consumption.

Everyone - no matter your sexuality - deserves to live their life free of homophobia. That doesn’t mean homophobia cannot exist - it can still be discussed and debated, be that between friends, social lessons at school, or simply as a plot device in a story.

Storytelling is actually the oldest method of social change we have as humans. Powerful stories are educational, cultural and memorable and shape who we are. We live in a golden age of storytelling, be it literature, theatre, movies, television, dance etc and that is how we change bigoted thinking en masse. You challenge a persons belief and hopefully change and shape them into something new.

But individually, one-on-one you just have to call it out - it’s not my job to educate anyone, but to let them know it’s not okay to be homophobic in my presence and it will be an issue if you want me in your life.

Ultimately, we do not need incidents like this. It serves no purpose and thankfully, most people recognise him for the fool that he is. I don’t know what he was looking to achieve and I don’t know what merit there is in arguing his corner.

But like anyone in the wrong, he must face the social consequences - and whether you agree with it or not, that’s how our society has always operated.

The bigger the soap box, the harder the fall.
          I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Feel free to do a survey and see how many people are tired of the racist, bigoted and dumb comments being posted here daily. I can guarantee you it definitely is not only me who feels like this. I can give you ten names right now but I wont speak for others publicly.
            ... talking about bigoted posts...
            jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
              Another LGBTQ+ discussion and another disappointing set of opinions from certain users.

‘Free Speech’ and ‘Freedom of Speech’ are two very different ideas and people confuse them. An individual has the freedom to say what they want, but must face the consequences if it is inappropriate - be that illegal or culturally.

What people do have is the freedom to believe whatever they want. But not all internal monologues need to made public, and not all are appropriate for public consumption.

Everyone - no matter your sexuality - deserves to live their life free of homophobia. That doesn’t mean homophobia cannot exist - it can still be discussed and debated, be that between friends, social lessons at school, or simply as a plot device in a story.

Storytelling is actually the oldest method of social change we have as humans. Powerful stories are educational, cultural and memorable and shape who we are. We live in a golden age of storytelling, be it literature, theatre, movies, television, dance etc and that is how we change bigoted thinking en masse. You challenge a persons belief and hopefully change and shape them into something new.

But individually, one-on-one you just have to call it out - it’s not my job to educate anyone, but to let them know it’s not okay to be homophobic in my presence and it will be an issue if you want me in your life.

Ultimately, we do not need incidents like this. It serves no purpose and thankfully, most people recognise him for the fool that he is. I don’t know what he was looking to achieve and I don’t know what merit there is in arguing his corner.

But like anyone in the wrong, he must face the social consequences - and whether you agree with it or not, that’s how our society has always operated.

The bigger the soap box, the harder the fall.
              So do you agree with the cancel culture?
              jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

Wait, there is life on the internet outside of UKMIX? What have I been doing the last 20 years
                Don't tell me you haven't come across people here who you don't want to get to know better and have had conversations with them outside UKMIX.
                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• As some terms got confused in the mix:
                  DaBaby's statements were not homophobic, if anything they were derogatory towards people with promiscuous lifestyles.
                  Regarding the example of people being OK with Meghan thee Stallion being naked on stage but not with Lil Nas X: That's not homophobic either. That's misandrist.

Anyway, the moral police seems to be out there, and some people seem to really love that self-chosen job. As previously explained, they should be careful when to use the 'holier than thou' attitude as it can easily used against them. I would compare that to the tendency of homophobic people often secretly having a problem with their own sexuality. By the way: Certain words like misogynist, racist or homophobe are used so inflationary that it's actually an insult towards people who really had to suffer severe physical or mental violence because of their violence.
                  Pro: freedom of speech
                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                    As some terms got confused in the mix:
                    DaBaby's statements were not homophobic, if anything they were derogatory towards people with promiscuous lifestyles.
                    Regarding the example of people being OK with Meghan thee Stallion being naked on stage but not with Lil Nas X: That's not homophobic either. That's misandrist.

Anyway, the moral police seems to be out there, and some people seem to really love that self-chosen job. As previously explained, they should be careful when to use the 'holier than thou' attitude as it can easily used against them. I would compare that to the tendency of homophobic people often secretly having a problem with their own sexuality. By the way: Certain words like misogynist, racist or homophobe are used so inflationary that it's actually an insult towards people who really had to suffer severe physical or mental violence because of their violence.

Tragic. His comments were Homophobic and you constantly trying to say that they weren't is not going to change the fact that they were so give it up.

Secondly the last thing I require of you is to correct any terms that I used. A dislike or prejudice against a gay man doing an activiity that straight women AND straight men do all the time without any problem DOES make you homophobic. Because male strippers have existed since the beginning of time without any problem - in fact they are celebrated. Sudddenly a gay man does it, it is a big issue. HOMOPHOBIC. And it is not misandrist when no one has an issue with straight male strippers catering to women. So you are completely incorrect.

Your second paragraph doesn't even make any sense so Ill pass on that one.

No one is buying what you are selling.
                    Last edited by InFamous; Fri July 30, 2021, 20:51.

Comment

As some terms got confused in the mix:

On page 2 in this thread TIfan already quoted you and gave a clear explanation why DaBaby's statement IS homophobic.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Don't tell me you haven't come across people here who you don't want to get to know better and have had conversations with them outside UKMIX.
                        well maybe one or two but then I met them and changed my mind
                        1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• RayRay : The statement regarding the parking lot is not homophobic. Regarding 'sus', I looked up the term and the vast majority of matches are not related to LGBT (I even checked the urban dictionary definitions for that). In fact, I found it being an abbreviation for suspect or doubtful, which actually makes more sense in the context of him calling out people with promiscuous lifestyles (not saying that calling out such people was right, just to prevent misunderstandings).

Comment

• He pretty much said: 'I don't like men giving blowjobs to other men in public places '.
                            He could've said it in a more general way by saying 'I don't like people engaging in sexual activities in public places ', yes, but not all homosexual men give blowjobs to other men in public places. I would even say it's a minority within the group of homosexual men. So if even DaBaby says something like 'My homosexual fans don't do that.', it's clear that it's derogatory - but not towards homosexual people but promiscuous people (who may or not be homosexual).

Comment

He pretty much said: 'I don't like men giving blowjobs to other men in public places '.
                              He could've said it in a more general way by saying 'I don't like people engaging in sexual activities in public places ', yes, but not all homosexual men give blowjobs to other men in public places. I would even say it's a minority within the group of homosexual men. So if even DaBaby says something like 'My homosexual fans don't do that.', it's clear that it's derogatory - but not towards homosexual people but promiscuous people (who may or not be homosexual).
                              Come on now. I don't believe you really think he's not homophobic.

Comment

• LOL you don't even know at this point what you are trying to say yourself so you should really give it up.

There is no correlation between promiscuity and car parks or public spaces in general. What's not clicking for you ?
                                Last edited by InFamous; Fri July 30, 2021, 21:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post

So do you agree with the cancel culture?
                                  I don’t believe cancel culture exists. I think it’s a media construct designed to legitimise their own agenda. The media has always had the power to raise people and destroy people, and they do so because it generates revenue.

Cancel culture legitimises this - the media can push their own agenda without expressing a direct opinion and yet report on ‘social media outrage’ - often by posting two or three comments made on Twitter.

But has anyone ever really been cancelled?

People in the public eye have always been well placed to damage their own brands and popularity, and that existed long before social media.

As a Madonna fan, I’ve seen that first hand - she’s been dropped by Pepsi, demonised for selling photographs of her vagina and banned by radio for not supporting the Iraq War.

But I’ve also seen her build herself back up, and that is the real game - because everyone loves a comeback story. It’s not how you fall, it’s how you pick yourself back up.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Maybe he is, maybe he is not. I can't tell solely based on those statements.

Comment

I don’t believe cancel culture exists. I think it’s a media construct designed to legitimise their own agenda. The media has always had the power to raise people and destroy people, and they do so because it generates revenue.

Cancel culture legitimises this - the media can push their own agenda without expressing a direct opinion and yet report on ‘social media outrage’ - often by posting two or three comments made on Twitter.

But has anyone ever really been cancelled?

People in the public eye have always been well placed to damage their own brands and popularity, and that existed long before social media.

As a Madonna fan, I’ve seen that first hand - she’s been dropped by Pepsi, demonised for selling photographs of her vagina and banned by radio for not supporting the Iraq War.

But I’ve also seen her build herself back up, and that is the real game - because everyone loves a comeback story. It’s not how you fall, it’s how you pick yourself back up.
                                      Exactly, besides Madonna, cancel culture was applied also to Janet Jackson, the Dixie Chicks and so many others. It has to do with media wanting to build a public profile that suits their commercial interests the best. I disagree with your mention of Pepsi because that was just one company but Madonna herself was a victim post-American Life. At that time, media at large considered appearing unpatriotic a potential damage to their brand and, as a result, to sales so they dumped anybody even getting a hint of that. Dixie Chicks were effectively cancelled because their criticized Bush. A few years later, everybody was criticizing Bush.

The same is true now. LGBT rights are in the mainstream now (and rightly so), also due to the general decline in music sales etc, LGBT and LGBT-friendly crowds are viewed as a significant potential buyer of some types of music so media would jump to appear gay-friendly. And that is something that the LGBT community has won after years of discrimination but... it is problematic for a lot of reasons.

I do agree somewhat with Mathematician in that Dababy's comment was more idiotic than homophobic, although I do see glimpses of homophobia, that is not so obvious as everybody claims, it was (IMO) more idiotic talk aiming at making everybody raise their f@cking phones (since no guy would dare admit sucking d@ck in parking lots by not raising the phone). To me the HIV/AIDS comment was far more problematic and that was not exclusive to LGBT people. Even so, star after star jumped on the homophobia bandwagon (did someone express "horror" at the comment? come on now) because it is good for their public image.

LGBT people here may view this as a match and be happy that finally people are getting punished for belittling gays but the thing is LGBT people won their position is society today without forcing anything on anyone, they won by debate, discussion and the power of conviction. I do remember a time when bashing homosexuality was not just acceptable but also expected and you immediately became suspect if you avoided it. But that time is much behind us now so how can anybody say that education doesn't work? If you go from that into forcing apologies and behaviours, you create resentment and you slowly but surely lose the game. Discriminatory ideas should be debated and rejected organically and not because of self-interest of certain groups.

Cancel culture effectively takes the discussion about LGBT rights away from society and shapes it up in a way that is not good for anyone besides business. Not good for LGBT in the long run, not good for society, not good for talent, not good for anything really...

Comment

LGBT people won their position is society today without forcing anything on anyone, they won by debate, discussion and the power of conviction.
                                        That is not true at all.

Nothing was handed to to us on a plate. We had to stand up and demand equality and have had to fight for every single win - and there are still many battles to be won.

We are a community that has been imprisoned, tortured, physically mutilated and mentally abused - all approved by the law of the land.

We did not talk our way into achieving legal equality.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• There are rappers who are much worse than DaBaby and I am hoping the subject within the media focuses on rappers period. The culture of drugs, violence, child abandonment, and bragging is doing no wonders for the Black Community. But, the media isn't smart enough to shift that narrative. Why? The violent, drug inflicted, multiple women having music brings in money these days.
                                          Diva!!!

Comment

That is not true at all.

Nothing was handed to to us on a plate. We had to stand up and demand equality and have had to fight for every single win - and there are still many battles to be won.

We are a community that has been imprisoned, tortured, physically mutilated and mentally abused - all approved by the law of the land.

We did not talk our way into achieving legal equality.
                                            Did I say anything was handed on a plate? I said debate, debate includes demanding equality but also they had to prove they deserved equality and they did that first by demonstrations (to win visibility) and then by using visibility to prove why their situation was discrimination as you say. There were arguments (both scientific and moral) and that let to societal shift and then to law changes. The abuse you mention was happening for decades without any shift in society in favour of LGBT. The shift started with Stonewall and then gradually built into visibility and logic arguments. There was never a denial to talk with anyone disagreeing with oneself of the type we are seeing now. That's what I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                                              There are rappers who are much worse than DaBaby and I am hoping the subject within the media focuses on rappers period. The culture of drugs, violence, child abandonment, and bragging is doing no wonders for the Black Community. But, the media isn't smart enough to shift that narrative. Why? The violent, drug inflicted, multiple women having music brings in money these days.
                                              I have read a rumor that the US goverment had paid powerful men in the music industry to plant that culture in hip hop during the 90s so as many black men would get influenced by it and do those things themselves and end up in private prisons where they would be used for free labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ts-of-the-week

If you think about it this drugs and violence culture didn't exist in urban music before the 90s. Wouldn't surprise me a bit that the racist US of A would do something as sinister as this.

DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                              98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

I have read a rumor that the US goverment had paid powerful men in the music industry to plant that culture in hip hop during the 90s so as many black men would get influenced by it and do those things themselves and end up in private prisons where they would be used for free labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ts-of-the-week

If you think about it this drugs and violence culture didn't exist in urban music before the 90s. Wouldn't surprise me a bit that the racist US of A would do something as sinister as this.

It existed in reality though. Gangsta rap became big because it showed the world how the american ghetto was living.

Comment

I said debate, debate includes demanding equality but also they had to prove they deserved equality
                                                  You don’t demand in a debate and we had nothing to prove.

Like every marginalised group we decided enough was enough and took action. I’ll assume you mean well but I dislike downplaying my communities history.

LGBTQ+ people had to go to war for equality - and governments fought back, hard. In the UK they made it illegal to ‘promote homosexuality’ and silence us. Then we had the AIDS/HIV pandemic to deal with whilst our own governments and churches pushed their propaganda, demonising us further.

That is why, 40 years later, it is so disappointing to hear this rapper spread his nonsense and misinformation. Not only is he factually incorrect, he’s socially outdated by a few decades at this point. His ‘points’ are old ground - it’s just stupid and hopefully his fans know that.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Working...
                                                  X