Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artoo View Post
    I suggest we stick to the one topic.
    Right. I didn't know where else to post it. It's not really German language or German politics either, so I kind of thought it fits here, but not so much either, I guess.

Comment

Australia and NZ banned guns after gun massacres with resultantly fewer guns death. Banning guns/making them harder to access also reduces suicide rates by firearms which is an added bonus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...tralia-buyback
      You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Just what gun owners needed - expanded rights and protections in the US…

Supreme Court ruling expands US gun rights

The US Supreme Court has struck down a New York law restricting gun-carrying rights, in its most important judgement on guns in over a decade.

It expands gun rights amid a fierce national debate over the issue.

The decision, which jeopardises similar regulations in states like California and New Jersey, is expected to allow more people to carry guns legally.

About a quarter of Americans live in states that could be affected if their own rules are challenged.

The court found that a New York law requiring residents to prove "proper cause" to carry concealed firearms in public violates the US Constitution.

Justice Clarence Thomas, writing on behalf of the six conservative judges who make up the court's majority, ruled that Americans have a right to carry "commonly used" firearms in public for personal defence.

The three liberal justices - Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor and Stephen Breyer - dissented, meaning they disagreed with the majority opinion.

The decision comes amid deep political divisions over how to address gun violence, which were intensified by high-profile shootings at a primary school in Uvalde, Texas, and a grocery store in Buffalo, New York last month.

Ahead of the Supreme Court ruling, the US Senate had announced steps towards new legislation tightening access to firearms.

US President Joe Biden said he was "deeply disappointed" by the court decision, which he said "contradicts both common sense and the Constitution, and should trouble us all".

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said he would review other ways to restrict gun access, such as by tightening the application process for buying firearms and looking at bans at certain locations.

"We cannot allow New York to become the wild, wild west," he added.

The National Rifle Association (NRA), on the other hand, celebrated the judgement.

The gun lobby had helped back plaintiffs in the case, Robert Nash and Brandon Koch - two New Yorkers who had applied for a concealed carry permit but were denied them, despite having licences for recreational gun ownership.

More than 390 million guns are owned by civilians in the US. In 2020 alone, more than 45,000 Americans died from firearms-related injuries including homicides and suicides.

Thursday's decision from the top US court continued a steady pattern of rulings that have expanded gun rights, holding that the right to carry firearms both at home and in public is guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.

Even in the shadow of mass shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo, the six-justice majority on the Supreme Court stood by a broad interpretation of the Second Amendment first outlined by a narrower court majority in 2008.

The last landmark gun decision issued by the court was in 2010, which affirmed the right to bear arms for states as well as individuals.

As these court precedents pile up, it will be increasingly difficult for future Supreme Court justices to change course and interpret the Constitution as permitting broader gun restrictions.

In his dissent, Justice Breyer noted that gun violence has taken a significant number of lives in the US this year.

"Since the start of this year alone (2022), there have already been 277 reported mass shootings - an average of more than one per day," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61915237

Comment

Supreme Court - fit for purpose?
          Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

Absolutely horrific.

Three police die in 'pure hell' Kentucky shooting

Three police officers have been shot dead in the US state of Kentucky while trying to serve a warrant on a man accused of domestic violence.

Police took the 49-year-old suspect into custody after the shooting.

Floyd County Sheriff John Hunt said the officers had faced "pure hell" when they arrived at the man's home.

Four other people were injured at the scene in Allen, a small town in a mountainous part of eastern Kentucky with a population of just 166.

The officers who died in the shooting late on Thursday have been named as Capt Ralph Frasure, Deputy William Petry and dog handler Jacob Chaffins.

K9 Drago, one of the dogs that Mr Chaffins handled, also died.

Capt Frasure had been with the Prestonsburg, Kentucky, Police Department for 39 years. The department said he had served "with honor and glory up until the last second".

The men ran into a barrage of gunfire from a rifle when they went to the house on Main Street shortly before 19:00 local time (midnight GMT).

The shooting continued for nearly three hours before suspect Lance Storz was taken into custody, having surrendered after negotiations involving members of his family.

He has been charged with two counts of murdering a police officer, five counts of attempted murder of a police officer, one count of attempted murder and one count of first-degree assault on a service animal.

"This is a tough morning for our commonwealth," Kentucky state governor Andy Beshear said in a social media post.

"Floyd County and our brave first responders suffered a tragic loss last night."

Kentucky State Police troopers are leading an investigation into the shooting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62025539

Comment

Another shooting in Chicago just now.

Thoughts and prayers.
              "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Copy, paste, repeat.

Sickening. You can’t even attend a local parade without fear of being gunned down. Happy birthday to that piece of paper that keeps your ‘freedom’.

Comment

I don't even know what the point is in posting about this stuff now, half of America couldn't care less about this stuff, they will just do the thoughts and prayers and go back to work.

I think it's just so odd as most of us live in countries where something like this happening actually means something, in America it's just another day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                        I don't even know what the point is in posting about this stuff now, half of America couldn't care less about this stuff, they will just do the thoughts and prayers and go back to work.

I think it's just so odd as most of us live in countries where something like this happening actually means something, in America it's just another day.
                        True. When I read the post about the Copenhagen shooting that mentioned Denmark‘s last mass shooting was in 2015, I couldn’t help but ask myself what would go through an American‘s mind when reading this. But they would probably just attribute that to Denmark being tiny, without doing the actual math and comparing per capita.

I personally can’t even imagine living in a country where dying from a bullet (either accidentally or intentionally) is a tangible risk and not just an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post

True. When I read the post about the Copenhagen shooting that mentioned Denmark‘s last mass shooting was in 2015, I couldn’t help but ask myself what would go through an American‘s mind when reading this. But they would probably just attribute that to Denmark being tiny, without doing the actual math and comparing per capita.

I personally can’t even imagine living in a country where dying from a bullet (either accidentally or intentionally) is a tangible risk and not just an afterthought.
                          A large portion of America illiterate so I don't think they would go too deep.

I've seen Americans saying Denmark have gun laws and they are still having mass shootings like the last time wasn't 7 years ago . . . . they will reach for anything.

Comment

It’s completely normalised now and doesn’t even seem like news. Politics has become so polarised in the US that there’s no common sense and it’s all about defeating the ‘other’. I wonder at what point something will change
                            You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Originally posted by westhammer View Post

It’s completely normalised now and doesn’t even seem like news. Politics has become so polarised in the US that there’s no common sense and it’s all about defeating the ‘other’. I wonder at what point something will change
                              Well they hide behind a 300 year old piece of paper, it's crazy.

I'll never understand that country and how self righteous they are.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
                                I couldn’t help but ask myself what would go through an American‘s mind when reading this. .
                                Well, my thought was that it was highly unusual to happen in Europe because I'm aware of the stricter gun laws there. We could only wish there was one shooting every seven years in my state alone. As many here would agree, stricter gun laws are sorely needed. For myself, I've done my best with my voting record and protest appearances. But this country is hamstrung by an undemocratic process and a misread Constitution that dooms us from making meaningful changes, and so I remain frustratingly powerless and distraught every time something like this happens.

half of America couldn't care less about this stuff
                                A large portion of America illiterate so I don't think they would go too deep.
                                I'll never understand that country and how self righteous they are.
                                but apparently that must not be a right answer since I'm American and most of us are self-righteous, illiterate, and don't care about any of this "stuff"

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

Well, my thought was that it was highly unusual to happen in Europe because I'm aware of the stricter gun laws there. We could only wish there was one shooting every seven years in my state alone. As many here would agree, stricter gun laws are sorely needed. For myself, I've done my best with my voting record and protest appearances. But this country is hamstrung by an undemocratic process and a misread Constitution that dooms us from making meaningful changes, and so I remain frustratingly powerless and distraught every time something like this happens.

but apparently that must not be a right answer since I'm American and most of us are self-righteous, illiterate, and don't care about any of this "stuff"

You'll see how I said half of America and a large portion (not all), illiteracy rates in the U.S are ridiculous, 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level . . . . that's not good!.

Nothing is going to change as the people in power don't want that change, it's never going to change as their children will come up and run things and so on etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

I honestly wouldn’t be able to bear that level of frustration. There‘s a lot going wrong in my country, but compared to the US it seems pretty close to paradise.

Comment

I just wish someone, somewhere, could come up with an answer that makes people realise change needs to happen. But I don’t think it ever will - it’s almost sixty years since JFK was assassinated and if that wasn’t motivation to make a constitutional change, nothing will be.

I love American politics as I find it much more engaging that British (though Boris and his lot keep the content coming almost on an hourly basis nowadays) but it’s such a broken system when you get into it, and it’s very easy for the POTUS to find themselves powerless once they’re in office.

But it’s more fundamental than that - the problem is there isn’t a cultural desire amongst the majority to change gun laws (or so they’d have you think). I wish Biden or someone would hold a simple informational vote and establish what people actually want, regardless of political belief.

As far as I can see, that’s the only real way to get a real conversation started on a constitutional change. I’m sure there’s opinion polls etc, but a non binding, non party vote across the country asking one simple question has to have some merit.

Comment

i am very shocked. Why is there a need to fire 90 shots at 1 person?

Comment

I’ve been following this and the amount of gunshots though is completely excessive - surely the point is to incapacitate not kill?

I can understand if some of the officers thought they might have missed in the dark, but there was a pretty good chance one of them got him. The fact five or six officers (I think) ended up shooting more than ten bullets each, to me anyway, suggests they all received the same training.

I don’t know what the guy was running from but none of this would have happened if guns were banned. It would never happen in the UK as our police don’t carry guns.

Comment

Working...
                                          X