No announcement yet.

US Gun Violence: a Country in Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the mass shootings in Colorado and Virginia this week, I had a look at the Gun Violence Archive.

It's just tragic - 290 children aged between 0-11 have been killed by guns in the US this year, with 632 injured. 1,218 children aged between 12-17 killed with 3,416 injured.

Over 50% of all US gun deaths this year are suicide - 21.5k suicides (out of 39.7k gun deaths) - absolute tragedy.

Comment

I have no idea why anyone would kill themselves with a gun. I don’t understand putting yourself and your close ones through the trauma of a messy death. Pop some pills, write a letter and pass away in your sleep if you are determined. But seek help first though. From anyone. It is never as bad as it seems and there are people out there that thrive off helping others sort out their problems. Let them.
      Disco dancing with the lights down low…

Comment

I once heard that it's a matter of gender. Women who plan to suicide often don't want to leave a mess for others and therefore rather grab to pills, while men are more self-centered and therefore care more about how to stage their death in a big way.
        Maybe that explains why most school shootings are caused by boys and young men.

Comment

I would say that if you are suicidal you are at a point were nothing matters much anymore, so “leaving a mess” is a minor concern for many. Pills can be unreliable, it might take longer than you expect, leaving too much room for you to be saved. If you already have a gun at home, that is a rather simple, easy to execute method, so I get why people would use it.

Comment

Suicide is all about access to whatever is readily available as a means (guns in the US) and men use more violent methods of suicide (and are more violent full stop)
            You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

I actually think the fact guns make it easier is the reason the overall rate is so high though. I’ve had a look into some figures around it (in spoilers below, as I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable) and in my opinion, guns are a major driving factor - and thus another reason why they shouldn’t be allowed.

Spoiler!
              Disco dancing with the lights down low…

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                I actually think the fact guns make it easier is the reason the overall rate is so high though.
                Isn't the suicide rate pretty high in Japan as well? I'm not an expert on Japanese gun laws, but I'd assume that they are much stricter regarding carrying guns than the US.

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

Isn't the suicide rate pretty high in Japan as well? I'm not an expert on Japanese gun laws, but I'd assume that they are much stricter regarding carrying guns than the US.
                  But Japan has a different culture. And I don't think the pressure people face there or in South Korea is the same as in the West.
                  Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                    I actually think the fact guns make it easier is the reason the overall rate is so high though. I’ve had a look into some figures around it (in spoilers below, as I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable) and in my opinion, guns are a major driving factor - and thus another reason why they shouldn’t be allowed.

Spoiler!
                    You’re right.

Japan has a culture where suicide has historically been somewhat acceptable - look it up
                    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Suicide is one thing. The mass slaughter of children is another. And no matter how you twist and turn it, that just doesn't happen anywhere else. Especially not on this scale.

Comment

Working...
                      X