No announcement yet.

US Politics: Inauguration Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I‘m obviously very thrilled about Kamala Harris being vice president!
    "You don't have to be perfect but you have to be 100% committed." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

Well... He WAS impeached on two counts.

He probably won't be in jail, but you could have thought the same about Epstein for 2 decades when he managed to get away even from the FBI.

He can get pardoned but of which crimes exactly?
      President Nixon was given a blanket pardon. Learn about history before making an incorrect point.
      Originally posted by WhatTheHell
      Voice of the truth here!! :(

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post

The narrative?

There's Tax fraud and 26 sexual misconduct charges. All pending.

There has not been legal action against Hunter and Hilary so their cases are completely different. With Trump as President, he was able to push everything back. Citizen Trump will have to fight these battles.

I am not saying he will go down for those charges but he will have to fight for it.
        Believe what you want. Like I said, if there was a realistic chance that he would go to jail he would be pardoned before 20 January.
        Originally posted by WhatTheHell
        Voice of the truth here!! :(

Comment

• Originally posted by clh_hilary View Post

President Nixon was given a blanket pardon. Learn about history before making an incorrect point.
          Nixon was a bit different in a way, all of his crimes were done in office and were "political". Trump's situation is a little more reminiscent of a mob boss being charged for not paying taxes.
          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• When the lone uninformed Trump supporter in the thread goes from hoping for re-election to hoping for a pardon.

Comment

• So trump will go down in history as the American president whist lost the same election 20 time over. At least until now, since all his lawsuits have been dismissed
              "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

Nixon was a bit different in a way, all of his crimes were done in office and were "political". Trump's situation is a little more reminiscent of a mob boss being charged for not paying taxes.
                Yeah, he can be indicted for state crimes.

President-elect Biden said he won't direct his Justice Department to act in either direction, putting some separation between the White House and Justice Department, which is the norm. However, it has also been reported that he doesnt want his presidency bogged down in investigations into Trump which I can understand.

But, if Trump aims to seek re-election in 2024 (which I doubt he will win), there will definitely be increasing calls for more investigations into his actions pre, during and post-presidency.
                See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Great news from Georgia over the upholding of the original count (sorry if I’m late to the party ).

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

But, if Trump aims to seek re-election in 2024 (which I doubt he will win), there will definitely be increasing calls for more investigations into his actions pre, during and post-presidency.
                    I think he will run and I don't think any investigation would stop people voting for him. He would surely turn it to his advantage somehow, playing up to the idea that there's a witch hunt against him.

Rumours are circling he is going to launch his own TV Network so if he gets that up and running it will be a huge platform for him to manipulate his supporters further. Yes it looks like Biden won by a landslide, but if Trump runs again he only has to flip a couple of states and he now has four years of unemployment to do that. The volume of votes was still absolutely massive and show the US is still completely divided (when you look at the popular vote).

This is something I was discussing earlier this week with friends, as Britain is very divided at the moment too. I honestly think a big part of it is that people are living longer, and the senior vote is becoming more powerful - who mostly likely (in my opinion) vote based on habit rather than current policy. So I think as balancing measure, there should be some serious discussions on reducing the voting age by 2 years.

To be honest I think the concept that children are 'innocent and ignorant' is fast becoming an outdated concept and 16 year olds are a lot more clued up nowadays. On both sides of the Atlantic I think there's a generation of kids who recognise that both the long term future of the UK and US has changed massively without them having a say - Brexit wouldn't have happened if 16 year olds could have voted (and a strong argument was that the senior vote swung it) and in the US in all likelihood Hillary would have won.

I just think if the voting pool is increasing because people are living longer, we need to recognise that the lower end of the scale needs increasing too as culturally, young adults are a lot more opinionated and tuned in than when the current age limit for voting was set.
                    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Biden's admin is not looking good so far, we're in for Bill Clinton 2.0 era (for some left-wingers Bill Clinton 3.0 because Barack Obama's admin was a replay of neoliberalism). I hope Democrats will finally figure out that pandering to identity politics and doing largely symbolic gestures aren't going to cut it anymore, especially since Democrats are held to a much higher standard by their voters than Republicans.

Comment

• I don't think Donald will be alive and able to run 4 years from now. He's 74 and fat AF.
                        Don Jr. or Ivanka on the other hand...

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                          This is something I was discussing earlier this week with friends, as Britain is very divided at the moment too. I honestly think a big part of it is that people are living longer, and the senior vote is becoming more powerful - who mostly likely (in my opinion) vote based on habit rather than current policy. So I think as balancing measure, there should be some serious discussions on reducing the voting age by 2 years.
                          if the things are that simple
                          i'm astonished and terrified on the fact how much support Trump is having among the youths and workers demographics
                          (slightly of the topic - two years ago in Croatia was conducted a great survey on social and political preferences with very surprising results,
                          it appears that the young Croats are far more conservative than their parents)
                          so i wouldn't blame the seniors or bet on youths

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                            I don't think Donald will be alive and able to run 4 years from now. He's 74 and fat AF.
                            Don Jr. or Ivanka on the other hand...
                            Actually losing weight at that age is typically not a good sign. I believe I read somewhere that slightly above average on weight is actually good for older ages. He also allegedly resisted covid.....
                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• what is this farce really....he might indeed go out with a bang

Comment

• Some thoughts.

The leading margins for Biden right now are

Arizona 0.3% - 11k votes (around 2% polling error on average)
                                Georgia 0.2% - 12k votes (around 1% polling error)
                                Wisconsin 0.6% - 20k votes (almost 8% polling error)
                                Nevada 2.4% - 33k votes (around 4%)
                                Pennsylvania 1.8% - 82k votes (2.9% polling error)
                                Michigan 2.8% - 155k votes (around 5%)

All these seemed very close, yet only 3 ended up below 1% Margin. Without those 3 it would have been a tie, but still not a loss. So 44k votes from a tie, but 77k from a loss (and 2.4% of Nevada is quite a lot). So I don't think it's that bad in the end, and the polls were not that far off for most of these states if we consider a normal polling error around 3-4%. Wisconsin was a disaster yet again in polling, but the rest was OK, although being biased against Trump. There might be states where the opposite happened.

Biden is also ahead in the popular vote with almost 6 Million, and is likely to break the barrier of 80 million votes when California has finished. 6 million more votes is almost 2% of the American population, and around 4% of the total votes.
                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by navi View Post

so i wouldn't blame the seniors or bet on youths
                                  I wasn’t doing either really, more just making a point that if the voting pool is increasing, it needs to increase at the lower end and not just the upper end.

I believe in democracy so I can accept any result from a democratic vote. I dislike Brexit but I’ve always accepted it, unlike a lot of people.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• I can’t believe how Trump is behaving - well I can, but it’s still shocking to see all of this play out on an international stage. It’s like a Netflix drama.

That formal transition plans haven’t started yet and Trump is making last minute policy decisions that will likely cause Biden significant headaches (e.g. withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan a few days before Biden officially gets sworn in) speaks volumes about how Trump just doesn’t give a crap about the good of his country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                      It’s like a Netflix drama.
                                      Actually, I could see that happening. Sounds like a plausible US version of ‘The Crown’.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Good luck booking that pardon 67 pardons.

Comment

• Can they remove him please before he starts a war with Iran or another country.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• What a class act Obama is. What a lovely reminder of how a US President is supposed to behave and act. 25 minute video and worth every single second.

Joyce was shook

#FreeBritney

Comment

• The GSA has signed the paperwork to begin the transition from Trump to the Joe Biden presidency:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gsa-b...b6e4b1ea452d95

Comment

• Finally!

Can move onto new things, just hope he doesn't cause any more mess to be cleared up.

Comment

• Finally! Praise the lord that Trump has finally woken up to the reality.

Comment

• Honestly, the only good think to ever come out of Donald Trump becoming President is the fact it made Will & Grace return.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Working...
                                                    X