No announcement yet.

German Politics: AKK steps down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer elected Merkel's successor as Christian Democrat leader
    Winner of party vote tipped to become Germany’s next chancellor and Europe’s most powerful politician

An ally of Angela Merkel has been elected as leader of Germany’s Christian Democrats, beating her closest rival in the second round of a party vote.

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer beat millionaire businessman Friedrich Merz in the second round. Health minister Jens Spahn was knocked out in the first round.

Kramp-Karrenbauer does not automatically become chancellor but is tipped to eventually take the office when Merkel either stands down or is forced out, assuming her role as the most powerful politician in Europe.

Merkel has expressed her determination to stay on as chancellor for the remaining three years of her term in office. Fifty-six per cent of Germans support her decision to do so.

SOURCE
    51.7% vs 48.3% of the vote.

Comment

• Who is she? is this good or bad?
      Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicRecords
        Who is she? is this good or bad?
        Merkel's clone just even more stiff.

Comment

• Re: German Politics: Annegret succeeds Angela

noooo, queen angela. I am genuinely sad that she stepped down as leader of her party. AKK is so faceless... omg.

Honestly, I am an Angela stan.
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy
            noooo, queen angela. I am genuinely sad that she stepped down as leader of her party. AKK is so faceless... omg.

child she is homophobic

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat
              Originally posted by stevyy

child she is homophobic
              not really, but go off. Let it out, sis. She voted against gay marriage, but in no way is she homophobe. She did so many great things and afterall, she voted gay marriage down as the head of a christian party and we all know how a large portion of christians are the most vile creatures on earth.

She made Germany the de facto leader of Europe and the free world. I will always be grateful for how she handled the global financial crisis. Germany came out even stronger than before.
              My Chart

Comment

I‘d never vote for her, but the alternative would’ve been a right-wing, multi-millionaire lobbyist, so I‘m relieved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab
                  Originally posted by MusicRecords
                  I‘d never vote for her, but the alternative would’ve been a right-wing, multi-millionaire lobbyist, so I‘m relieved.
                  Same. I don't care for AKK, but Merz (or Spahn) as potential future chancellors would've made me seriously consider emigration. I'll give her a chance.

Comment

Extremely bad. She was the one who compared same sex marriage with incest.
                    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Why is it that if people criticize the few women on the left, such as Secretary Clinton and First Minister Sturgeon, it's sexism; but when people criticize the many women on the right, such as the Chancellor and Prime Minister May, it's valid criticism?

Dr Merkel risked, and ultimately sacrificed her career as an attempt to save a million refugees - something the left likes to say they would love to do - but somehow she remains bad.
                      Originally posted by WhatTheHell
                      Voice of the truth here!! :(

Comment

• Originally posted by clh_hilary
                        Why is it that if people criticize the few women on the left, such as Secretary Clinton and First Minister Sturgeon, it's sexism; but when people criticize the many women on the right, such as the Chancellor and Prime Minister May, it's valid criticism?

Dr Merkel risked, and ultimately sacrificed her career as an attempt to save a million refugees - something the left likes to say they would love to do - but somehow she remains bad.
                        It all depends on WHAT you criticize those women for. If it’s their looks, their voice or the mere fact that they have a vagina, then that’s sexism. If it’s the policies or type of leadership they stand for, then it’s valid criticism.

The refugee crisis is not the only important issue that our country has faced during the 13 years of Merkel’s chancellorship (so far), so I’m not going to judge her exclusively based on that one thing she arguably got right.

And you’re wrong about Merkel ‘sacrifizing’ her career for refugees. First of, she’s still in office and intends to stay there until 2021. And secondly, her decision to keep our nation’s borders open in 2015 was backed by a majority of Germans and by all parties represented in parliament at the time. In hindsight, it might seem risky, but it really was the popular, easy and only sensible option then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erotica
                          Erotica, I think that is not exactly what she said. She said if we legalize same-sex marriage, there might be requests for legalizing marriage among siblings, too. What she says is bs IMO, but tbh I’m feeling a bit better with her than with Merz or even gay Spahn.

Spahn is more radical and Merz too, also we don’t know Merz thoughts about LGBT.

Spahn would of course be an ally for the LGBT (though I don’t think he’d do thaaaat much for us), however I don’t think AKK (Annegret for those who don’t know) would fight against the LGBT and when all is said and done she’s the most centered politician of those three and I think she’s the best for the country as a whole.
                          2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab
                            It all depends on WHAT you criticize those women for. If it’s their looks, their voice or the mere fact that they have a vagina, then that’s sexism. If it’s the policies or type of leadership they stand for, then it’s valid criticism.
                            There are more than a handful of Americans who claim that people didn't vote for Secretary Clinton because they couldn't accept seeing a woman holding the highest office in their country, without actually knowing that to be the case.

In many cases, people on the left tend to simply assume it's sexism if their female candidate isn't elected.

Originally posted by Rihab
                            The refugee crisis is not the only important issue that our country has faced during the 13 years of Merkel’s chancellorship (so far), so I’m not going to judge her exclusively based on that one thing she arguably got right.
                            She has had a long rule, sure, but not only is this her last major policy (people can change, can't they? They could be bad but turn to become good people), it's one of her most major ones.

Originally posted by Rihab
                            And you’re wrong about Merkel ‘sacrifizing’ her career for refugees. First of, she’s still in office and intends to stay there until 2021. And secondly, her decision to keep our nation’s borders open in 2015 was backed by a majority of Germans and by all parties represented in parliament at the time. In hindsight, it might seem risky, but it really was the popular, easy and only sensible option then.
                            She's still in office only because of the unique German system which has made it more difficult to topple her government. You can frame this however you want, but there's clearly no denying that before that, her reign had no ends in sight. After that, she lost her momentum and was firmly on the way out. The party she leads has been losing grounds on practically all elections since that.

Also, keeping borders open =/= welcoming a million refugees. That's quite a misrepresentation.
                            Originally posted by WhatTheHell
                            Voice of the truth here!! :(

Comment

• Originally posted by KokoCollino
                              Originally posted by Erotica
                              Erotica, I think that is not exactly what she said. She said if we legalize same-sex marriage, there might be requests for legalizing marriage among siblings, too. What she says is bs IMO, but tbh I’m feeling a bit better with her than with Merz or even gay Spahn.

Spahn is more radical and Merz too, also we don’t know Merz thoughts about LGBT.

Spahn would of course be an ally for the LGBT (though I don’t think he’d do thaaaat much for us), however I don’t think AKK (Annegret for those who don’t know) would fight against the LGBT and when all is said and done she’s the most centered politician of those three and I think she’s the best for the country as a whole.
                              Yes, you are right with her statement on that, still a bad one in my opinion.

Anyway, I have to admit I have problems with everybody from CDU, can't take them serious honestly.
                              I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Re: German Politics: Annegret succeeds Angela

The best option but the CDU needs to go. Sad new elections are still so far away
                                MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy
                                  The best option but the CDU needs to go. Sad new elections are still so far away
                                  You never know but I'm not feeling sure how I'd feel about quick elections looking at the AfD in surveys.

The Greens might have their moment but overall hmmm.

Comment

• Kramp-Karrenbauer to step down as leader of Germany’s CDU

Minister’s unexpected decision leaves the race to succeed Angela Merkel wide open

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has said she will stand down as leader of Germany’s Christian Democratic Union and not run as the party’s candidate for chancellor in next year’s election, in a move that leaves the race to succeed Angela Merkel wide open.

AKK, as she is widely known, was seen as a shoo-in for chancellor after winning the election to replace Ms Merkel as CDU leader in December 2018. But a series of gaffes gradually eroded her authority and sent her poll ratings into a tailspin.

A spokesman said Ms Kramp-Karrenbauer told the CDU governing executive on Monday morning that she would not seek to run for chancellor next year. She would “organise the process for choosing the candidate for chancellor, continue to prepare the party for the future and then give up the leadership of the party”.

[...]

AKK’s standing in the party was badly hurt by events in the east German state of Thuringia last week, when a little-known politician was elected prime minister with the votes of the CDU and the far-right Alternative for Germany. It was the first time in Germany’s postwar history that a prime minister had been elected into office with the votes of the extreme right.

Ms Kramp-Karrenbauer had urged the Thuringian CDU not to vote for the candidate, Thomas Kemmerich of the liberal Free Democrats, but it acted against her wishes. Their insubordination only underscored her waning influence in the party.

SOURCE

Comment

• Good thing! People were clearly ready for someone else than Merkel and AKK basically is Merkel II. It was irresponsible of her to become Minister of Defense when she doesn't have a clue of that field and only did it in order to ensure her power...
                                      ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Now replace her with an old, uninspiring, heterosexual, white man (preferably Merz or Laschet) and call new elections, so we can get rid of this party of nazi sympathizers asap.

Comment

• New elections are a slap in the face of democracy, so that should really be the last step if nothing else works. Apart from the fact that you make it sound like being an 'old[...], heterosexual, white man' was a negative thing, at least the possible candidates aren't 70+ like in the US ;) . Younger people are allowed to compete as well but no one's going to vote for them anyway...
                                          ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• I agree with both of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                              New elections are a slap in the face of democracy
                                              I think it's more a slap in the face of democracy when the country is run by two parties which each had three different leaders since voters last got to have a say. Literally none of these people were even on the ballot in the last election, so how is it undemocratic to let voters give their approval (or more likely, disapproval)?

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                              Apart from the fact that you make it sound like being an 'old[...], heterosexual, white man' was a negative thing
                                              Oh, it's not. It'll be absolutely glorious when they lose big.

Comment

• AKK... never liked her... the way she reacted to Rezo was a crime against intelligence...

I also loathe all the people who are in the run to succeed her... like seriously...?

Those white-bred-stale-mouth-stank males who are crusty and dusty won't do anything to make things better for the middle class...

In a perfect world... the Greens would swipe the next election... and get an absolute majority... and stop all the mess that has been going on since Gerhard destroyed the German middle class.

Rite Now... Germania Magna is in political disarray. We are one political abdication away of becoming the next Brexit-esque-mess-country.

May God, the Queen or Greta Thunberg save us all.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Welp that didn't last long.

Now we just need The Greens to win

Comment

• Bye Akk, I couldn't stand her.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X