German Politics: AKK steps down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramp-Karrenbauer to step down as leader of Germany’s CDU

Minister’s unexpected decision leaves the race to succeed Angela Merkel wide open

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has said she will stand down as leader of Germany’s Christian Democratic Union and not run as the party’s candidate for chancellor in next year’s election, in a move that leaves the race to succeed Angela Merkel wide open.

AKK, as she is widely known, was seen as a shoo-in for chancellor after winning the election to replace Ms Merkel as CDU leader in December 2018. But a series of gaffes gradually eroded her authority and sent her poll ratings into a tailspin.

A spokesman said Ms Kramp-Karrenbauer told the CDU governing executive on Monday morning that she would not seek to run for chancellor next year. She would “organise the process for choosing the candidate for chancellor, continue to prepare the party for the future and then give up the leadership of the party”.

[...]

AKK’s standing in the party was badly hurt by events in the east German state of Thuringia last week, when a little-known politician was elected prime minister with the votes of the CDU and the far-right Alternative for Germany. It was the first time in Germany’s postwar history that a prime minister had been elected into office with the votes of the extreme right.

Ms Kramp-Karrenbauer had urged the Thuringian CDU not to vote for the candidate, Thomas Kemmerich of the liberal Free Democrats, but it acted against her wishes. Their insubordination only underscored her waning influence in the party.

SOURCE

Comment

• Good thing! People were clearly ready for someone else than Merkel and AKK basically is Merkel II. It was irresponsible of her to become Minister of Defense when she doesn't have a clue of that field and only did it in order to ensure her power...
      Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
      and everything you stand for?
      Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
      just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Now replace her with an old, uninspiring, heterosexual, white man (preferably Merz or Laschet) and call new elections, so we can get rid of this party of nazi sympathizers asap.

Comment

• New elections are a slap in the face of democracy, so that should really be the last step if nothing else works. Apart from the fact that you make it sound like being an 'old[...], heterosexual, white man' was a negative thing, at least the possible candidates aren't 70+ like in the US ;) . Younger people are allowed to compete as well but no one's going to vote for them anyway...

Comment

• I agree with both of you.
            2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              New elections are a slap in the face of democracy
              I think it's more a slap in the face of democracy when the country is run by two parties which each had three different leaders since voters last got to have a say. Literally none of these people were even on the ballot in the last election, so how is it undemocratic to let voters give their approval (or more likely, disapproval)?

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              Apart from the fact that you make it sound like being an 'old[...], heterosexual, white man' was a negative thing
              Oh, it's not. It'll be absolutely glorious when they lose big.

Comment

• AKK... never liked her... the way she reacted to Rezo was a crime against intelligence...

I also loathe all the people who are in the run to succeed her... like seriously...?

Those white-bred-stale-mouth-stank males who are crusty and dusty won't do anything to make things better for the middle class...

In a perfect world... the Greens would swipe the next election... and get an absolute majority... and stop all the mess that has been going on since Gerhard destroyed the German middle class.

Rite Now... Germania Magna is in political disarray. We are one political abdication away of becoming the next Brexit-esque-mess-country.

May God, the Queen or Greta Thunberg save us all.
                My Chart

Comment

• Welp that didn't last long.

Now we just need The Greens to win
                  COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

• Bye Akk, I couldn't stand her.
                    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Yeah, she won't be missed.

Comment

• I'm surprised that there are people on here that would seriously root for a Green chancellor . Some of their policies are pretty controversial and as much as I would like to highlight at least their environmental policies, things like raising the gas prices is simply a no-go for me as someone living on the countryside and therefore depending on a car. Let's hope that at least the people voting for them have dealt with their election programme first.

Comment

• theMathematician I have to agree with you!

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                            I'm surprised that there are people on here that would seriously root for a Green chancellor . Some of their policies are pretty controversial and as much as I would like to highlight at least their environmental policies, things like raising the gas prices is simply a no-go for me as someone living on the countryside and therefore depending on a car. Let's hope that at least the people voting for them have dealt with their election programme first.
                            If things like raising the gas price seems more controversial to you than the things other parties are doing then I don't know what to tell you. We need to change our behavior if we want to stop climate change, that's simply a fact. If we don't change then driving a car will be the least of our worries. It's there to get people thinking and stop them from using a car unnecessarily. It's also not the most important part of their election programme AND fossil fuel will fizzle out soon anyway
                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

If things like raising the gas price seems more controversial to you than the things other parties are doing then I don't know what to tell you. We need to change our behavior if we want to stop climate change, that's simply a fact. If we don't change then driving a car will be the least of our worries. It's there to get people thinking and stop them from using a car unnecessarily. It's also not the most important part of their election programme AND fossil fuel will fizzle out soon anyway
                              Exactly. It's not like a CDU chancellor can stop the world from changing. Or stop coal, oil and conventional cars from dying. All that Merz / Laschet / Spahn are going to do is try to slow down this process in Germany, sacrificing our role as a technological leader along the way. With the greens in government, we might be paying a little more for fuel. With the CDU in power, we're literally paying with our future.

And climate change is just one reason why I don't want 5 more years of CDU rule. I also don't agree with them when it comes to refugees, immigration, taxes, social security, housing, the minimum wage, the EU, factory farming, agriculture in general, military spending, military action, LGBT rights, women's rights (including abortion), drugs and surveillance among other things.

Comment

• Bee Boy: Good politics should find a way to divide when the usage of a car is justified and when not. I depend on the car and therefore it would discriminate me if gas prices were raised. Someone who takes the car out of convince because the bus rides every 5 minutes may have a different view on that.
                                But of course, that's not my main issue. I'm not fully satisfied with the Greens' views in the context of migration, social costs, the EU, education, drugs and their support towards rural regions.

Comment

• theMathematician I agree with the fields you mention in which you don’t agree with the Greens.

Comment

Working...
                                  X