X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Re: Germany: Chaos, failed coalition talks, Merkel in jeopar

Interestingly, everything now sounds like CDU/CSU were closer to the Greens than FDP ... And like FDP didn't really believe in the coalition for quite some time ...

I really wonder if Merkel will now be elected as chancellor just to be able to do new votings ...

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Merkel's fourth term in doubt after German coalition talks collapse

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's efforts to form a three-way coalition government that would
    secure her a fourth term hit a major setback on Sunday after a would-be coalition partner pulled out of exploratory talks, citing irreconcilable differences.

The pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) unexpectedly walked out of the talks with Merkel's conservatives and the Greens, saying that the three parties could not find compromises on key
    issues like immigration and the environment.
    Merkel could seek to form a minority government with the Greens, or new elections will be called.

"Today there was no progress but rather there were setbacks because targeted compromises were questioned," FDP leader Christian Lindner told reporters. "It is better not to rule than to rule falsely. Goodbye!"

Merkel was weakened after an election in September as voters angry with her decision in 2015 to open Germany's borders to more than a million asylum seekers punished her conservatives by voting for the Alternative for Germany (AfD) far-right party.
    There is little appetite for a second vote, especially as the main parties fear that the populist AfD would win more than the almost 13 percent of votes it secured in September.

Failure to form a government in Europe's largest economy could have implications for everything from euro zone reforms to European Union policy on Russia and Turkey.
    Merkel has used her power to broker compromises on Greece within the single currency bloc and to keep in place EU sanctions against Russia over its backing of separatists in eastern Ukraine.

SOURCE

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Honestly she was so self confident now ... There's also the option of a minority government of CDU ... And then the "Vertrauensfrage" in maybe one year and new votings ... I still think this would be her end either way

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by KokoCollino
    Seehofer said "Thank you Angela Merkel"
    Definitely giving me ‘goodbye’ teas.

If she goes, he’ll have to go too.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab
    RIP Frau Kepetry btw. Bad Girl Gone Less Bad will lose her parliamentary seat now.
    At least ... But she will have it for another 6-12 months I guess

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    RIP Frau Kepetry btw. Bad Girl Gone Less Bad will lose her parliamentary seat now.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Seehofer said "Thank you Angela Merkel"

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Merkel says she will update the president tomorrow about the news. Is he already in bed?

She says most Germans wanted Jamaica today.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Merkel giving her statement now. She's making a #Raute

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab
    Lindner will be the huge winner of this
    Odds are he’ll be the big loser. The parties which are seen as being responsible for new elections almost always lose big. It’s like a law of nature. Remember what happened to May earlier this year?

And even if he gains 2 or 3 percent, so what? There’s no real difference between a 12% and a 15% opposition party. He’s still not going to miraculously end up chancellor lol. He gave away his one chance to at least be part of the government, so no matter what he does now it’s going to be a loss imo.
    I feel like he's the German Taylor Swift, everything seems to be marketed so well, well made up official tweets / posts quoting his statement came up immediately, perfect marketing / strategy ... Let's see

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    What's this obsession with countires of mostly black people? Jamiaca, Kehina Bahamas?
    Jamaica = black yellow green

Kenia = black red green

Bahamas = black yellow blue (with right wing AfD)
    Can we call this the Barbados coalition instead?

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    I believe the CDU and the SPD will receive completely new people now. New leaders in the CDU, and more left-wing people in the SPD.

Many things will change ...

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Odds are he’ll be the big loser. The parties which are seen as being responsible for new elections almost always lose big. It’s like a law of nature. Remember what happened to May earlier this year?

And even if he gains 2 or 3 percent, so what? There’s no real difference between a 12% and a 15% opposition party. He’s still not going to miraculously end up chancellor lol. He gave away his one chance to at least be part of the government, so no matter what he does now it’s going to be a loss imo.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    What's this obsession with countires of mostly black people? Jamiaca, Kehina Bahamas?
    Jamaica = black yellow green

Kenia = black red green

Bahamas = black yellow blue (with right wing AfD)

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Big question is: Will Merkel be the chancellor to be voted before we get new votings? I don't think so. I think she will resign and there will be a "one week chancellor" before Steinmeier asks for new votings.

It would be a huge embarrassment to be the "one week chancellor" for Merkel.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Not sure I completly get this, but sounds like a big fat mess.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Kenia without Merkel coming!

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Re: German Elections 2017: CHAOS!!!

SPD's Steinmeier (Germany's president) needs to clear the parliament to have a new voting, but only if a chancellor is being voted first. Crazy weeks are upon us!

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    Germany has turned into Italy!
    Literally my first thought when I heard the news.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainshow
    Germany has turned into Italy!
    Belgium...who?
    I don't know her

Leave a comment:

• Mainshow
    replied