X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theMathematician
    replied
    Originally posted by jordi_89 View Post

Isn't the CDU the second party among poor / low-income voters? I'd say some of them still vote for them.
    The Conservatives ('CDU') and the Sociodemocrats are considered people's parties ('Volksparteien') and therefore get voted by every target audience to a smaller or bigger extent. But yeah, as I recently pointed out, the Greens or the Liberals are more a party of the richer folks, the Far Right or the Left party of the poorer folks, and the two people's parties are somewhere in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Isn't the CDU the second party among poor / low-income voters? I'd say some of them still vote for them.
    Doesn't really matter whether it's AfD, CDU or FDP in this case, as their tax plans all favor the rich. FDP is more liberal than the other two when it comes to things like immigration, LGBT+ or women's rights. But on economic issues, you can basically lump them together with the other right-wing parties.

I would suggest to look for a better job or to vote smarter next time. You choose late-stage capitalism, this is what you get.

Leave a comment:

• jordi_89
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I think there is a logical flaw in that argumentation. Low-income voters mostly vote for the Far Right and the Left (source; source). Neither are part of the national government and therefore responsible for the volume of taxes at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    *low-income voter votes for party whose tax plans primarily benefit the rich*
    *realizes he isn't rich*
    *complains about high taxes*

I think there is a logical flaw in that argumentation. Low-income voters mostly vote for the Far Right and the Left (source; source). Neither are part of the national government and therefore responsible for the volume of taxes at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    *low-income voter votes for party whose tax plans primarily benefit the rich*
    *realizes he isn't rich*
    *complains about high taxes*

sounds like someone got exactly what they wished for, so happy for them

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    German people: We need more affordable housing.
    government: OK, we increase supply in order to lower prices. Let's buy 400k apartments per year!
    building industry: We can't buy that many apartments as the building material is too pricey.

Leave a comment:

• jordi_89
    replied
    With the current buzz surrounding the new unemployment benefit in my head, I opened my first full pay check (I had some sick day reduction last month.) and was shocked to find out how much my salary gets reduced by tax. Considering that the unempoyed folks have their apartment rent + heating paid, have their health insurance paid, have their apartment's basic equipment paid and don't have to spend 200€ per month to make it to the workplace and back home, I'm seriously wondering whether it's all worth the effort for me. Can anyone cheer me up please ?
    Don't know how things are in Germany, but if the unemployment check is good enough, I'd just quit. Like enjoy the holidays. You'll find something else next year.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    With the current buzz surrounding the new unemployment benefit in my head, I opened my first full pay check (I had some sick day reduction last month.) and was shocked to find out how much my salary gets reduced by tax. Considering that the unempoyed folks have their apartment rent + heating paid, have their health insurance paid, have their apartment's basic equipment paid and don't have to spend 200€ per month to make it to the workplace and back home, I'm seriously wondering whether it's all worth the effort for me. Can anyone cheer me up please ?

Leave a comment:

• Plym
    replied
    stevyy : I'm sure you know that some of those protests are not just inconventient, but there has actually been medical staff that got prevented from taking care of patients due to the protestors blocking the streets. One woman (I'm sure you've heard of that) even died that way. Would you say that those are legitimate victims for the bigger cause?
    pointing your accusations in the wrong direction. the protesters wouldn't need to do all this if the world governments got their acts together, like stevvy said.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    It could just be my subjective view, but I feel like the German state is coming across as pretty weak in the context of the current World Cup. Nationally, there is so much big mouthing, while internationally, they come across as very... beta? It started with that One Love fiasco, then the embarassing gas deal with Habeck even bowing down in front of his Qatari colleague, and now that interview on LGBT rights in Qatar... I don't share any of their views, but I really like how they stand behind their values and don't sacrifice them soon as it gets a bit inconvenient. I wish the German state had the same self-confidence in international negotiations.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    stevyy : I'm sure you know that some of those protests are not just inconventient, but there has actually been medical staff that got prevented from taking care of patients due to the protestors blocking the streets. One woman (I'm sure you've heard of that) even died that way. Would you say that those are legitimate victims for the bigger cause?

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    I love and support every single climate protester. The old hags in power should finally wake up and shove renewables down everyone's throats.

in 20-30 a good dozen nations that currently exist (mostly Pacific Island nations) will be swallowed by the seas. We should act now. No more talking.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    These days, surely everyone has got an opinion on the climate protestors who throw food at paintings, block or glue themselves onto streets. Some go as far as calling them 'terrorists'. What do you guys think about it, especially in the context of what dear jordi_89 just wrote in a different thread in a different context:

As long as you're fighting for freedom or equality or other good things, I'd say almost anything is off the table. The only exception would be if there was a significant loss of life in the process. But setting fire to a (historic) building is just a way to send a message, it doesn't hurt anyone personally.
    ?

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    The richest are getting ever richer by not even doing anything while the majority is not earning enough despite hard work...

I was watching another documentary made by NDR yesterday and there was a post delivery woman who only earned €1,700 in 2022, back in the 1980s the same job was making more than €2,800 in today's money (iflationsbereinigt).

I'm not sure how we let it come to this. Everything has become so expensive. People who work a full time job should earn a LOT more than those who get Hartz IV or the new BŁgergeld... but the reality is that if you live on social security like Hartz IV or the new BŁgergeld, you have either just as much money to spend for groceries etc or even a little more.

I'm not arguing that we should cut social security, I say that people need to earn more. Our system worked so well some 30 or 40 years ago... and now it doesn't work at all anymore. My grandfather had to flee Prussia after the war (he was still a kid), never finished any type of school (he only went to school for 6 years) and found a job at the Deutsche Bahn in the 1950's until his retirement... and he could buy a house for his 4 children and go on holiday every year and live a wonderful life and my grandma didn't even have to work.

Those were the times.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Having worked for less than 10€ per hour myself for years and therefore being in the position to have an opinion on minimum wage, I strictly oppose the way it got executed. I get that everyone is supposed to afford a respectful life with the money they earn from their job, but at least 12€ is way too generalizing as it doesn't consider the type of business and the region where someone works. Think of a bakery in a small town: How many pieces of cake has the bakery selling assistant got to sell in the noon to make profit? And what if the weather's bad and there are only 2 or 3 customers coming?
    There are types of businesses where the executive managers earn some massive money. Those are the fields where the workers on the lower levels should have higher earnings, and it wouldn't even hurt the managers.
    The owner of the bakery surely doesn't have pockets full of cash, and if he's forced to pass the higher costs right to the customer and/or reduce opening hours making it more and more inconventient to do spontaneous pastry shopping, neither the customer, nor the owner of the bakery or the selling assistant will have profitted from that in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    I don't have an opinion on it because frankly, I don't know enough about ports to form an educated opinion. If you don't know sh*t, it's better to shut your mouth and let the experts do their job.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Yeah, stevyy , despite usually being dramatic when it comes to politics, is right saying that no one really approves the harbour trade, but Scholz did it nonetheless. It's not as if the public was informed about it in advance. I do follow the bigger national topics of interest, and the harbour trade felt like a spontaneous and casual move. There was some backlash in retrospect, but trust me, jordi_89 , there were topics with waaay greater medial exposure. Sonetimes, you get the impression that the absolute worst thing a politician could do is having had misquoted in their college dissertations. It's the German equivalent of 'but her e-mails'.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

I'm not German so I won't comment on it, but what's everyone's opinion on this? I heard about it and was kinda suprised.
    The GP hates it and 99% in the government as well... But Olaf did it anyway bc he is just as corrupt as you can get. They claim that if they didn't do it, then Cisco or whatever - a big Chinese shipping company - would not use the Hamburg harbour anymore and it would go bankrupt or whatever. So, in order to make us less dependent on foreign companies and countries, he opted to INCREASE our dependency. #smart

That Cisco company already owns parts of all the big harbours in the EU from Rotterdam to Piraeus in Greece (which they completely own btw). France adivsed that Germany shouldn't do it... but emperor Olaf did it anyway. So dumb. (That being said, France has also sold parts of their harbours to the company).

It's a major red flag when one state-owned company is buying up important infrastructure. Germany is bowing to China like a weak servant... I always imagined that being in the EU would protect our small, tiny, insignificant countries from being devoured by foreign super powers... but I guess not.

Leave a comment:

• jordi_89
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, sells parts of Europe's 3rd largest port in Hamburg to China.
    I'm not German so I won't comment on it, but what's everyone's opinion on this? I heard about it and was kinda suprised.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Roth and Baerbock are not conservative bigots.
    Well, I'd agree with you on them not being conservative.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Rihab : I think you are biased here and therefore conclude that both, Baerbock and Roth, were simply misunderstood by the media in both cases. Did you think the same with Merz' social tourism claim for which he later (even in a half-assed way) apologized?
    Roth and Baerbock are not conservative bigots. Mister Merz is just the worst. He should migrate to the AfD already... he has been licking their boots for months now.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Rihab : I think you are biased here and therefore conclude that both, Baerbock and Roth, were simply misunderstood by the media in both cases. Did you think the same with Merz' social tourism claim for which he later (even in a half-assed way) apologized?

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

How on earth does Germany still rank at #10 on the corruption index when there are so many scandals, not only in the public broadcasting field, but in politics in general.

The country is under attack, imo.

Warning: This is an opinion...

With CumEx, Augustus Intelligence, Wirecard and the CDU Mask scandal... I believe Germany does not deserve to rank in the top 10 anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    The problem here aren't the sources, but him intentionally misreading and misrepresenting them.

Examples:

Original: Foreign minister ''saddened'' by decision to have Christian cross removed.
    Timmy's Version: Foreign minister ''decided to'' remove the ''centuries old [cross]''.

Original: Bible quotes to remain ''visible''.
    Timmy's Version: Minister ''suggested to cover bible quotes''.

I'd appreciate the foreign language ban, although that also didn't stop him from spreading misinformation on a daily basis in the covid thread for example.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X