X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theMathematician
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    All of that is showing me that this 9€ ticket is great for bigger cities, but it's not currently working for the GP in rural areas.
    On point.

Without the car, I wouldn't be able to go to job interviews. I recently had a job interview for which I had to leave 45 minutes earlier from work. That place was equally far away from where I live to where I work but in the opposite direction, so I took about 45 minutes by car. If I had had to travel by public transport, I would've had to leave 2 hours earlier, ride for a total of 2 hours 30 seconds and change the station 4 times. It's almost a given that at some point during the ride, a bus or train would've been late. I might've had to wait for the next bus or train and therefore would've been late to the interview.
    Travelling by public transport is something you can do when you've got all the time in the world and a lot of patience. Whenever you've got an appointment, however, it's better to use the car.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    People are lazy and will moan about anything. I live in the countryside and commute to the city. Which takes me 45 by car and more than twice as long by bike + train. I also have to change trains. Still I think this 9€ ticket is the single best idea any government has had in my lifetime. And it should be a permanent solution. Has to be if want to reach our climate goals.
    That's unfair. When I was living in HH I always and only used the bus or underground. But in SH it is so much more difficult. I have to be at my school at 6:50 am (first lesson begins at 7:00 am) and I usually have 2 big, full, heavy bags of books, graded papers, materials etc with me. Using the bike I couldn't do because of that and the bus would never carry me there in time. And then there is neither a bus nor train connection from my village to the village where my workplace is.

Yesterday I had to drive my mom to a CT scan to another city in SH and it took us 50 minutes by car. We joked about using the train which would have been a 2 hours ride with changing trains twice as well. My mother had to be there at 6:30 am. I had time to drive her there because my school made use of its "bewegliche Ferientage" this week.

At that time, there was no train nor bus connection to the hospital where my mom had the CT scan. In order to make the appointment in time, my mother would have needed to travel to that city one day earlier (by train) and then book a hotel room for a night.

All of that is showing me that this 9€ ticket is great for bigger cities, but it's not currently working for the GP in rural areas.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Bikes are an option if the weather is fine. I would recommend riding bikes neither when it's crazy hot nor when it's stormy, snowing or heavy raining. Depending on your job, it's not always an option to arrive and be full on sweaty.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    What about (e-)bikes? If it's a 20 minute car ride, it shouldn't be 2 hours via bike for a healthy young man. And you save time in the gym.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    I live in the countryside and commute to the city.
    I did that for four years, and it was manageable. Now try living in the countryside and commuting to the countryside .

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    People are lazy and will moan about anything. I live in the countryside and commute to the city. Which takes me 45 by car and more than twice as long by bike + train. I also have to change trains. Still I think this 9€ ticket is the single best idea any government has had in my lifetime. And it should be a permanent solution. Has to be if want to reach our climate goals.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Yeah, the idea is overhasty and lacks in many departments. Not only is public transport very unreliable here, there's also a big difference between the accessibility in urban regions and ones on the countryside. When someone has to drive for 20 minutes by car, riding 90 minutes with public transport and changing stations 3 times is not an appropriate alternative.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    I also do not understand this 9€ Bahn ticket thingy... i mean the DB doesn't even have the capacity (anymore) to handle more people using it and there have already been cases of people who would normally commute by train having to use their cars again, because of all the delays that the influx of people caused.

Also, here in the very North (and also in the EAST) there is barely any public transport infrastructure.

If I was to use public transport for going from my village to the next bigger city, I'd have to change trains twice and what would have been a 15 minutes drive with my car would turn into 40-60 minutes with public transport.

I'd rather eat glass than make use of this 9€ ticket. They have to fix the infrastructure in the North first.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Regarding the upcoming 9€ ticket: Isn't it a bit contradictory how they want to limit contacts (=ongoing mask mandate) yet want more contact by having more people use the public transport?

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Having worked in quite a few jobs where women are in the majority, I don't see how you consider 'being male a qualification'. I have applied for many jobs during the past few months and never felt like I was given advantage for being a male with a German name. So yeah, I don't see the problem with the current state but rather with how the Greens discriminate men.
    I don't see women being discriminated in conservative parties: Merkel (Conservatives) was the Chancellor for 4 periods. Weidel is co-leader of the far rights. Strack-Zimmermann is a significant defence expert (and much better at it than Lambrecht, let's be fair!) of the Liberals.

I haven't been in the position to apply for promotions yet, but I don't think you can generalize that men get promoted over women. There are women who chose not to go for a career in favor of taking care of their family, but that's a choice and totally fine. Not to forget that there are plenty of men at adanced age still working in crap jobs because they never bothered to rise in the company's hierarchy (and I guess that's fine as well since someone has to do those crap jobs as well).

Frankfurt a liveable city? I'm reading that for the first time . I was talking about neighbourhoods (=Stadtteile) though, and I guess I gotta differentiate there. You can't say that every neighbourhood with an above average share of migrants is a sh*thole. As I probably said before, I live in a neighbourhood with an above average share of migrants myself and I enjoy living here. But it's also true that many big cities' neighbourhoods with the lowest living qualities also happen to be the ones with the highest shares of migrants among all of their neighbourhoods. I mean compare Frankfurt's Westend to let's say the Bahnhofsviertel.

I don't see how I'm hypocritical because after school, I financed my studies myself without the help of student loans etc.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    The presence of immigrants in your neighborhood leads to a lower quality of life. Why do I even argue with that.

Bottom of the barrel. I'd rather have all immigrant neighbours than one nazi neighbour.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    I personally don't see demographic data as any sort of qualification, so it rubs me the wrong way that the Greens treat it as such.
    I think you've completely lost sight of what the real and much bigger problem is here. The real problem is that our society and the system we have created for ourselves treat being male as a qualification. Not that one political party does the opposite.

For the first time in history, a party has turned the system on its head and nominated a woman over an equally qualified man and you're still all hot and bothered by that a year later. Focusing all your attention on the Green party's (perhaps) imperfect solution to the problem rather than the problem itself. And completely ignoring the fact that literally all other mainstream parties still have male leaders despite having equally qualified women in their ranks.

I wonder, shouldn't you be just as upset about the conservatives not allowing any women to run in their last 2 leadership elections? Or do you seriously believe that in a party with almost 400.000 members, there isn't one woman who is at least as competent as Laschet, Spahn and Braun? The bar is incredibly low! Or do you doubt that structural discrimination against women (in politics, but also other lines of work) is even a thing, denying science? Which of the 3 is it?

Generally speaking, promotions have happened for unfair reasons before, so yes, in such cases you're allowed to be worried without being insecure.
    Oh yes, absolutely. And 99.9% of the time when you hear a story like this, it's the (white) man who ended up getting the job over an equally or more qualified woman of child-bearing age or a man with a foreign-sounding family name.

As a qualified (white) man, you will prevail in this society. If you seriously worry about repeatedly falling under the 0.1% of cases where a (white) man gets f*cked over by a system that in sum, still privileges him, you've got to be insanely insecure.

Please name any German neighbourhood with a high share of migrants that is known for high living quality and I take back what I had initially said!
    Mine. Actually, in most of Germany's most liveable cities (such as Hamburg, Frankfurt and Munich), immigrants and children of immigrants make up the majority of the population.

Relying on tax refunds means further dependency on the state and I personally support low involvement of the state in people's finances.
    Aren't you in your late 20s and just starting your first full-time job? Bit hypocritical to be preaching self-sufficiency for others when you've been leeching off the state yourself for more than a quarter-century, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    I personally don't see demographic data as any sort of qualification, so it rubs me the wrong way that the Greens treat it as such. While I believe Harbeck was the better qualified one for the job as Chancellor than Baerbock as of 2021 (=pre-election), my paragraph wasn't directed at them but rather Ulrich in Saarland - an incident you hopefully remember.
    Generally speaking, promotions have happened for unfair reasons before, so yes, in such cases you're allowed to be worried without being insecure.

Please name any German neighbourhood with a high share of migrants that is known for high living quality and I take back what I had initially said!

Relying on tax refunds means further dependency on the state and I personally support low involvement of the state in people's finances.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Rihab : If a man is not allowed to make it to the first position of an electing list solely for having the wrong genitalia, that is anti-men. Imagine you and a woman would compete for a promotion, you know you're the better qualified one of the two and the woman gets the 'go', how would you feel?
    First of all, Habeck wasn't and still isn't more qualified. Him and Baerbock are equally qualified. Baerbock got to run for chancellor last year because she was far more popular with the base, because she was polling better with the general public and because literally all the other major party candidates were male. And that just isn't fair in a society where women make up 50%+ of the population. Anyway, she lost so he will get his shot next time.

Secondly, if you're clearly more qualified than everyone else, there's no need to worry about anyone stealing your job or promotion. If you are worried, you're either not qualified enough or as I said before, insecure.

Regarding your question why the Greens are a party for the rich:
    1. The Greens have visions regarding society that the rich can join in order to feel morally superior, while not having to live with the consequences. For example, the Greens are pro-migration when the rich usually don't live in neighbourhoods with high shares of migration. The Greens are pro-community school when the rich tend to send their children to elite schools.
    The fact that you see living in a neighbourhood with immigrants as a bad thing really says it all. I think you don't even realize you're being racist.

2. The Greens want to increase prices for things that the average population already struggles with, e.g. mobility, energy, living, food.
    It's not as black and white as that. They wouldn't just raise the price for something and f*ck people over. People would always get some form of (tax) relief in return, so that they could actually end up with more money in their pockets if they make changes to live more sustainably. Just because poor people (who more often than not, are also poorly educated) haven't grasped that yet (and as a result, have rarely voted green in the past), doesn't mean green policies are policies for rich people. We all profit, especially in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

That's nothing.

If it was up to their current leader, rape in a marriage would still be legal. Merz voted against making it a crime.

They're also trying to deport some of my best friends. They're only safe as long as the greens remain #1 in my state.

And if they ever got close to a majority again, they'd totally try to limit abortions, gay sex and contraception again. Just like Republicans in the US.
    shocking. But the comparison to them being like US Republicans is spot on. I will never understand the appeal of conservatism... and how the term is abused in modern politics. What do they want to preserve, really? Well, the world like it was in 1951.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied

also if it were up to the CDU / CSU to decide gays would have like 0 rights in GER. Homophobic and backwards that's what they are. The absolute biggest trash party ever.

WE should never forget, how Mutti voted against gay marriage.
    That's nothing.

If it was up to their current leader, rape in a marriage would still be legal. Merz voted against making it a crime.

They're also trying to deport some of my best friends. They're only safe as long as the greens remain #1 in my state.

And if they ever got close to a majority again, they'd totally try to limit abortions, gay sex and contraception again. Just like Republicans in the US.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post
    Imagine thinking the greens or any liberal party is for the rich elites while CDU or any conservative party is for the masses . The absolute gaslighting and ignorance is too much.

He probably thinks that speed limits are bad too. No restrictions... let's continue to kill ourselves by not doing anything. Volksfahrräder.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

Only insecure men see policy which pushes women as ''anti-men''. It's pathetic.

You keep making claims like this, but never back them up. Where are the facts and figures? Where is this legislation that supposedly favors the rich? I don't know what lies BILD (or whatever dubious source you get your news from) feeds you, but I've read their party program and there is nothing like that in there.

The Greens are the only (mainstream) party that does politics with our entire planet in mind. Including the climate and the environment, animals and people, all people, of all ages, all races, all genders, Germans and non-Germans alike, rich and poor, present and future generations.

Even low-income villagefolk like you, who love to trash them, would profit immensely from their tax plans, among other things. Whereas the parties which you (ironically) see as more in line with your views, would primarily hand tax breaks to the rich. That's a fact. Maybe you've been brainwashed, so this is news to you. Or maybe you know and you don't care because your fear of foreigners and women outweighs your economic worries. But in the end, you're still voting against your own interest and to make the rich richer. The very thing you're constantly accusing the Greens of (politics for the rich), you actually vote for yourself. I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.
    also if it were up to the CDU / CSU to decide gays would have like 0 rights in GER. Homophobic and backwards that's what they are. The absolute biggest trash party ever.

WE should never forget, how Mutti voted against gay marriage.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Rihab : If a man is not allowed to make it to the first position of an electing list solely for having the wrong genitalia, that is anti-men. Imagine you and a woman would compete for a promotion, you know you're the better qualified one of the two and the woman gets the 'go', how would you feel?

Regarding your question why the Greens are a party for the rich:
    1. The Greens have visions regarding society that the rich can join in order to feel morally superior, while not having to live with the consequences. For example, the Greens are pro-migration when the rich usually don't live in neighbourhoods with high shares of migration. The Greens are pro-community school when the rich tend to send their children to elite schools.
    2. The Greens want to increase prices for things that the average population already struggles with, e.g. mobility, energy, living, food.

aRat : The Greens are not liberal. Liberal means to enable, while the Greens are the opposite. Their rhetoric is: 'We believe this is wrong, so you're not allowed to do this (While we personally still find loopholes to do it because we can, ha!)'.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Imagine thinking the greens or any liberal party is for the rich elites while CDU or any conservative party is for the masses . The absolute gaslighting and ignorance is too much.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Is a male politician even allowed to become Chancellor for the Greens? I thought they'd have this anti-men policy.
    Only insecure men see policy which pushes women as ''anti-men''. It's pathetic.

The Greens do politics for academics and the rich elites
    You keep making claims like this, but never back them up. Where are the facts and figures? Where is this legislation that supposedly favors the rich? I don't know what lies BILD (or whatever dubious source you get your news from) feeds you, but I've read their party program and there is nothing like that in there.

The Greens are the only (mainstream) party that does politics with our entire planet in mind. Including the climate and the environment, animals and people, all people, of all ages, all races, all genders, Germans and non-Germans alike, rich and poor, present and future generations.

Even low-income villagefolk like you, who love to trash them, would profit immensely from their tax plans, among other things. Whereas the parties which you (ironically) see as more in line with your views, would primarily hand tax breaks to the rich. That's a fact. Maybe you've been brainwashed, so this is news to you. Or maybe you know and you don't care because your fear of foreigners and women outweighs your economic worries. But in the end, you're still voting against your own interest and to make the rich richer. The very thing you're constantly accusing the Greens of (politics for the rich), you actually vote for yourself. I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.
    Last edited by Rihab; Thu May 19, 2022, 14:23.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Is a male politician even allowed to become Chancellor for the Greens? I thought they'd have this anti-men policy.
    SPD and Greens... I respect your opinion, obviously, even though I personally am not a fan of that coalition. Both parties are simply too far away from Jon Doe's everyday life needs. The Greens do politics for academics and the rich elites, while the SPD pretend to be social while focusing too much on topics that simply don't matter to the Jon Does out there.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Latest poll:

CDU/CSU 29%
    SPD 23.5%
    Greens 23%
    FDP 5.5%
    AfD 7.5%
    Others 11.5%
    FDP and AfD on the brink of irrelevance, we love to see it.

In this scenario, SPD and Greens could dump the FDP and govern comfortably on their own. And Habeck needs half a percentage point to become chancellor.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied

before 2020... breathing O2 usually didn't kill humans.
    Oh, really?

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

Daddy? Like he fathered offspring, but I don't think he fits the meaning of the word traditionally used on this forum.
    A lot of things kill people, in all fairness. After 2.5 years, people have enough sources of information to decide for themselves and mustn't get told by an panic-driven attention seeker what to do.
    Ironically, I've followed the motto 'Whatever happens, happens.' and I still haven't caught it. I'm starting to think that I'm immune against it.
    before 2020... breathing O2 usually didn't kill humans. So stop equating that with whatever else you have in mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X