Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Royal Family News: King Charles hosts first state visit with the President of South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    I don’t know if anyone is watching the coffin journey (I’m listening to the coverage and watching it on and off) - there’s literally thousands of people stretching miles through Dundee Scotland at the moment, it’s really quite something.
    I watched part of it. Our tv is on BBC 24/7 these last few days.
    My most streamed artists: 1. Mariah 2. Madonna 3. Debbie Gibson 4. Céline Dion 5. Lara Fabian 6. Kylie 7. Whitney 8. Meghan Trainor 9. Ariana Grande 10. Tina Arena 11. Sam Smith 12. Janet Jackson

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
      Seeing some clips on twitter this week of Prince Charlies and Philip talking down to staff makes me angry.
      they've been raised to think they're better than everyone else. the warning signs were there with diana.
      what's going on?

Comment

• It’s all so pretentious, I cannot

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

The funding criticism is always one I enjoy responding to as it's fairly cut and dry. But let me add that if we were to remove the Monarchy - an institution that stretches back over 1,000 years and gives the UK a unique place in the world - we'd have to replace with another constitutional Head of State, most likely a President. So let's look at the cost of having a President in a Republic, where a Prime Minister is also in place:
          • France - $100m.
          • Poland - $55m.
          • Italy - $200m.
          This is without factoring in the cost of an election every 3-5 years - these typically cost an additional $150-$400m per election. And it also doesn't include the costs of travel or security, which would significantly inflate the cost (as it would for the Queen and Monarchy in the UK). Removing the costs of Buckingham Palace refurb, the direct cost of the Queen and her family (not including Prince Charles who is funded separately) was barely £50m per year. To replace the Monarchy would be more costly.

If there is one thing I know, it’s that the UK will never have a President.

Removing the monarchy would serve no purpose. Anyone who is against the monarchy is generally anti-establishment to some degree, so removing it and replacing it with a new institution is just going to give them something new to moan about.

Abolishing The Crown does not alleviate any sins the United Kingdom has committed in it’s past, no matter what they might say, because no one can change the past - nor are they allowed to forget it. Which, ironically, drives The Crown forward just as much as it’s supporters do. I’d actually argue the criticism has had more of an influence on The Queen than her supporters, who listened and adapted over the course her reign more than her predecessors ever did.

The other argument for retaining the monarchy, and I think a lot of people are finding this out this week, is how much it informs our national identity. It’s incredibly hard to put in words what it means to be British, but whatever it is, The Crown is supposed to be the embodiment of it. Queen Elizabeth certainly was, and we are seeing that reflected back onto us from the response the rest of the world has had to the news of her passing.

Whilst our relationship with The Crown is going to change as we go forward, it will endure. Charles, I think, will be viewed more as a steward until such a time William becomes king. Whereas most people have grown up only ever knowing The Queen, the majority have watched William grow up and carry the burden of responsibility with dignity and grace.
          Disco dancing with the lights down low…

Comment

• Originally posted by Plym View Post
            they've been raised to think they're better than everyone else. the warning signs were there with diana.
            In the eyes of probably 1 Billion people around the world they are better than the rest of us and in a lot of those cases, they are correct.
            Last edited by Ewokguy15; Mon September 12, 2022, 01:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

In the eyes of probably 1 Billion people around the world they are better than the rest of us and in a lot of those cases, they are correct.
              *better off
              1 SG Lewis |2 FLO |3 Vlossom |4 SG Lewis |5 Inna

Comment

• I do find all this colonisation chatter interesting like it's a bad thing, obviously the genocidal part of it all is awful but without colonisation where would this world be?, then there are the countries colonised by England, Spain etc that have gone independent and are now in much worse condition than before.

Queen Elizabeth was a great Woman who held her position with great dignity and poise, I won't say it's sad she has died as she was 96 and a 96 year old dying isn't sad but it's great to see her life being celebrated in such a huge way.

Comment

I do find all this colonisation chatter interesting like it's a bad thing, obviously the genocidal part of it all is awful but without colonisation where would this world be?, then there are the countries colonised by England, Spain etc that have gone independent and are now in much worse condition than before.
                  That’s a whole other question for a completely different thread.

Though the idea of the USA not existing is a pretty big thinking point

Comment

• I thought this was quite a charming read, it’s one of the well-known reasons why she was so beneficial to U.K. diplomacy - as Macron eloquently said in his tribute, “she stood with the giants of the 20th century” (she was probably the last one left really). A British Prime Minister being able to offer an audience with HM Queen Elizabeth II to a foreign leader was more valuable than anything else - when in her presence, you were experiencing living history as she was a thread that connected everything from World War 2 to present day.

Britain’s secret weapon

The Queen fulfilled her diplomatic role in a way “no British sovereign had done before”, says Valentine Low in The Times. Referred to by Foreign Office mandarins as “our secret weapon”, she had a “quiet magnetism” which cast a spell over everyone from Donald Trump to Angela Merkel. One of her warmest relationships was with Nelson Mandela. The South African president called her Elizabeth; she called him Nelson. On his state visit to Britain in 1996, he asked to attend a concert at the Royal Albert Hall instead of a banquet. During the rousing finale he got up to boogie and, in a most “un-Queen-like” moment, she did too. “Good heavens,” said one establishment figure. “The Queen is dancing!”

Of course, she had to put up with some fairly unsavoury guests, too. Walking her dogs in the gardens at Buckingham Palace during a visit by Romanian leader Nicolae Ceausescu in 1978, she “hid behind a bush” rather than get stuck chatting with the dictator and his wife. She was furious with President Mobutu of Zaire, who visited in 1973. His wife smuggled a small dog through customs and ordered it a steak from the palace kitchens. The deputy master of the household was told: “Get that dog out of my house!” It was duly consigned to the kennels at Heathrow.

Abroad, the Queen was welcomed with “something approaching ecstasy”, especially in countries that had done away with their own monarchies. During a state visit to France, she mentioned to her hosts in the Louvre that she had never seen the Mona Lisa. “Within minutes, two attendants staggered in with the picture, which they exhibited on bended knees.” One of the warmest tributes to the Queen was from President Macron, who said she “stood with the giants of the twentieth century” and “embodied a people, a territory, and a shared will... She held a special status in France and a special place in the hearts of the French people.”

Comment

• The same image of HM Queen Elizabeth II's coffin dominates the front page of every single newspaper this morning, be it broadsheet or tabloid:

The Times reporting the following:

Under the headline "Five-mile queue for Queen", The Times says more than 750,000 people are expected to file pass her coffin in Westminster Hall, during her lying-in-state. The paper says queueing times could reach 20 hours. As many as 10,000 police officers will be deployed and up to 1,500 soldiers will be available to help control the crowds.
                      The only modern day comparison really is the Queen Mother, who had 200,000 people pay tributes while she was lying-in-state.

Comment

I do find all this colonisation chatter interesting like it's a bad thing, obviously the genocidal part of it all is awful but without colonisation where would this world be?, then there are the countries colonised by England, Spain etc that have gone independent and are now in much worse condition than before.

Queen Elizabeth was a great Woman who held her position with great dignity and poise, I won't say it's sad she has died as she was 96 and a 96 year old dying isn't sad but it's great to see her life being celebrated in such a huge way.
                        You honesly cannot be serious with this comments, my god. I don't even know what to say other than it sometimes feels more like the Daily Mail comments section in here than the UKMix I used to know and love.
                        without any meaning, we're just skin and bones
                        like beautiful robots dancing alone

Comment

Exactly. And the only reason they are supposedly "better" than anyone else, is because they are born in a certain family. A monarchy should not be a thing in a modern society.

Look at Prince Andrew and how much protection he got. It's completely and utterly insane and repulsive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fan View Post

You honesly cannot be serious with this comments, my god. I don't even know what to say other than it sometimes feels more like the Daily Mail comments section in here than the UKMix I used to know and love.
                            Of course I do, there are positives and negatives but the positives outweigh the negatives easily. You and I are benefitting from Colonisation everyday, happy to discuss further, open a thread if you wanna discuss further.

Comment

Exactly. And the only reason they are supposedly "better" than anyone else, is because they are born in a certain family. A monarchy should not be a thing in a modern society.
                              That is your opinion. Sharing it right now, when it is clear there are users here that are mourning the death of their Queen, is frankly nothing but poor taste and bad manners.

There is a time and a place for everything, and there is nothing but ego involved in your comments. You aren’t looking for a debate, you’re looking for validation - because, as you said, you don’t understand the world’s reaction.

Yet instead of trying to understand, you’re looking for someone to agree with you and return your status quo.

You’re allowed to believe whatever you like, but that doesn’t make you right - the majority of the United Kingdom is in favour of monarchy and we are mourning the loss of our Queen.

As you also said, there’s a time and place. You might not be celebrating her death but you’re coming very close to dancing on her grave.

Comment

Look at Prince Andrew and how much protection he got. It's completely and utterly insane and repulsive.
                                great point fan, and i agree and validate your comment!
                                i think you're totally right here, and glad you shared your opinion with us, without disrespecting any deaths.
                                what's going on?

Comment

• Great speeches to The King from both speakers of the houses. They did go on a bit though.

I mentioned earlier that it it is hard to describe what being British means, but the Speaker of the Commons might have just summed it up - “It is very British to present a celebration of revolution to her majesty”

Nice to see The King get a laugh at that - he’s seemed quite upset listening to them.

I hadn’t realised that there was a big stained glass tribute to The Queen in Westminster Hall (presented to her for Diamond Jubilee). It’s odd but comforting to know it will probably be kept there for hundreds of years. Likewise, Big Ben sits in Elizabeth Tower, also named for The Queen - a name that too will probably be kept for hundreds of years too.

Also, the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square will most likely end up becoming the place where The Queen’s statue will eventually reside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

That is your opinion. Sharing it right now, when it is clear there are users here that are mourning the death of their Queen, is frankly nothing but poor taste and bad manners.

There is a time and a place for everything, and there is nothing but ego involved in your comments. You aren’t looking for a debate, you’re looking for validation - because, as you said, you don’t understand the world’s reaction.

Yet instead of trying to understand, you’re looking for someone to agree with you and return your status quo.

You’re allowed to believe whatever you like, but that doesn’t make you right - the majority of the United Kingdom is in favour of monarchy and we are mourning the loss of our Queen.

As you also said, there’s a time and place. You might not be celebrating her death but you’re coming very close to dancing on her grave.
                                    It is indeed my opinion, isn't that the whole point of a message board? Sharing opinions. I think now is the right time to discuss these matters, as the family is on the news 24/7 and a lot of people are talking about these things. It's not just me and the fact you think that is "bad taste" or "my ego" says a lot about you. It's fine you like the royal family, it's also fine I don't like them and am being very critical about them. Also in this moment in time. Saying that I'm dancing on her grave is frankly disgusting and it shows you clearly don't understand my point. I have never said I am happy she died or celebrated the fact, of course it's sad for her family and other people who cared about her. At the same time, I'm not going to feel sad or sorry about it because that's not what I feel and I cannot ever support an institution or person that accepts class differences, racism, homophobia and you name it.

And I speak with a lot of people about this in real life and basically everyone I speak to thinks the same way. Maybe it's my little (gay) progressive bubble, that could be the case, but it's definitely not a strange or unacceptable opinion to have. Frankly I have seen people say a lot worse things. But you clearly want to push your royalist opinion everywhere, which is your prerogrative, but don't get pressed when people have other views.

Comment

It is indeed my opinion, isn't that the whole point of a message board? Sharing opinions. I think now is the right time to discuss these matters, as the family is on the news 24/7 and a lot of people are talking about these things. It's not just me and the fact you think that is "bad taste" or "my ego" says a lot about you. It's fine you like the royal family, it's also fine I don't like them and am being very critical about them. Also in this moment in time. Saying that I'm dancing on her grave is frankly disgusting and it shows you clearly don't understand my point. I have never said I am happy she died or celebrated the fact, of course it's sad for her family and other people who cared about her. At the same time, I'm not going to feel sad or sorry about it because that's not what I feel and I cannot ever support an institution or person that accepts class differences, racism, homophobia and you name it.

And I speak with a lot of people about this in real life and basically everyone I speak to thinks the same way. Maybe it's my little (gay) progressive bubble, that could be the case, but it's definitely not a strange or unacceptable opinion to have. Frankly I have seen people say a lot worse things. But you clearly want to push your royalist opinion everywhere, which is your prerogrative, but don't get pressed when people have other views.
                                      Agree 100% with this
                                      Some pro-monarchy people here react worse when saying anything about the RM they don't agree with, than religious people trying to protect their god at all costs
                                      Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

• The police are being quite heavy-handed at the moment, yet again not a good look for them. Anybody daring to have a different opinion being arrested and whisked away.

Also, here’s Britain in one photo!

Comment

It's fine you like the royal family, it's also fine I don't like them
                                          Which I completely agree with, but it’s not about that.

Let me put it another way - imagine Mariah Carey had died a couple of days ago. Would you go into a thread and start telling people you disliked her? Would you start posting about how you never liked any of her albums? Would you think it appropriate to say how you think the reaction to her death is overblown?

I don’t think you would. I think you’d recognise it would be inappropriate to do so days after her death, a full week before she was even buried. I don’t think you or some of the others that have posted would dream of doing that.

So I’m a bit confused why it’s happening here.

Comment

For one, I wouldn't be who I am. But looking at the greater picture: America would still have its true native people as would Australia. The countries which were colonised and have gone independent may not have been in "much worse condition than ever before" if they had never been colonised in the first place. We will never know.
                                            My most streamed artists: 1. Mariah 2. Madonna 3. Debbie Gibson 4. Céline Dion 5. Lara Fabian 6. Kylie 7. Whitney 8. Meghan Trainor 9. Ariana Grande 10. Tina Arena 11. Sam Smith 12. Janet Jackson

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

Which I completely agree with, but it’s not about that.

Let me put it another way - imagine Mariah Carey had died a couple of days ago. Would you go into a thread and start telling people you disliked her? Would you start posting about how you never liked any of her albums? Would you think it appropriate to say how you think the reaction to her death is overblown?

I don’t think you would. I think you’d recognise it would be inappropriate to do so days after her death, a full week before she was even buried. I don’t think you or some of the others that have posted would dream of doing that.

So I’m a bit confused why it’s happening here.
                                              does mariah take taxpayers money? was mariah born into a castle with servants for no reason? does mariah get away scot-free with crimes like some royals do? does mariah get an exemption on inheritance tax? mariah is an upstanding member of the public who has worked hard for everything she's ever done. the comparison is ludicrous.
                                              if they're public funded then they're held to public opinion.
                                              what's going on?

Comment

does mariah take taxpayers money?
                                                Maybe Gary Barlow would have been a better comparison!
                                                1 SG Lewis |2 FLO |3 Vlossom |4 SG Lewis |5 Inna

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

Maybe Gary Barlow would have been a better comparison!
                                                  " Princess of Pop Katy Perry "
                                                  Stan of Meredith.

Comment

• It’s the flowery language which the Royal fans use which makes me cringe.

we’ve been calling her the queen for 70 years, not Elizabeth the great. And while he might be king now, he’s still Charles. It’s like trying too hard to try and show respect, all feels a bit forced.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X